• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [July] Now Voting - Post 280!

Oh, nice! A day early? Site had said the 28th
Picked it up

The Swindle - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
4.png

http://www.sizefivegames.com/games/theswindle/

The Swindle is a steampunk cybercrime caper about breaking into buildings, hacking their systems, stealing all their cash, and quickly running away again before the police show up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I want you to play some right now before you go away so you can tell us if it's worth it.

THANKS!

I'd take some impressions too, if possibly with comparisons to other similar games. I am a bit wary of that genre in 2D lately.

Sadly, the Swindle isn't actually out. The fella making it misclicked the launch button and it went up a day early but you can't actually install the game till tomorrow.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I can't remember the last time I was so excited to explore a building:

CK8CbcbXAAAC-ox.jpg:large

I want to know what's inside of it! ;-;

Thanks for the gathering up of impressions, Wok. Somewhat disappointed to see the mixed receptions so far, I suppose it's something I'm going to have to play for myself to understand if I can accept the world-interaction weirdness or the alternate gameplay features or not.

Moobabe

Are you already exploring it?

As of this second? No - I'm on Rocket league - but I did!

I want to know what's inside of it! ;-;

Thanks for the gathering up of impressions, Wok. Somewhat disappointed to see the mixed receptions so far, I suppose it's something I'm going to have to play for myself to understand if I can accept the world-interaction weirdness or the alternate gameplay features or not.

See - Steam reviews are very positive! I'm a little torn on it, but I'll finish it and see how I go.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Cute, Software Inc got an update today, amongst other things, it now shows the the building of your company in the main menu. Thats my hacked together complex so far:
NOAjFle.png

Just a friendly reminder to vote!

---

ICY - $12.99 (PC, Mac)
yLTiY3O.jpg

http://digitaltribegames.com/icy/

ICY is a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age where your life and the lives of your followers hang on every decision you make. Create your own character using a detailed stats system that influences your abilities then begin your journey of survival across a frozen world.

---

Some nice indie sales in this week's Weeklong Deals

Lovely Planet - $1.19
MirrorMoon EP - $1.89
The Nightmare Cooperative - $2.49

OnPoint

So behind on my playing... Finally working my way through Titan Souls. There are so many little things that serve to annoy me in that game, but I'm still having a darn good time with it. I've dispatched 12 of the titans, so not much further to go.

nidhogg is so good. It may seem simple, but once you master the moveset, it opens the door to some really tense and frantic battles

Some of my favorite gaming moments of the last couple years are from Nidhogg. So good.

Moobabe

RockPaperShotgun's preview of RymdResa makes it sound very underwhelming

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/27/rymdresa-hands-on/

Like, if you have to rely on luck for the game to reveal its potential, that's probably not a good sign.

Well that's the nature of this type of game right? I mean, that randomness is what makes games like FTL stand out for people and I think that that game is extremely luck based - the player simply has to find ways to mitigate shit happening to them.

Well that's the nature of this type of game right? I mean, that randomness is what makes games like FTL stand out for people and I think that that game is extremely luck based - the player simply has to find ways to mitigate shit happening to them.
But in those games, the entire experience is compelling and the unpredictability adds to that

The preview males it sound like most of the playthrough was kind of boring and shallow (go here, press a button, etc.) and then completely by chance, there was one time when the game did something more. And it was more of a byproduct of being teleported really far away

Moobabe

But in those games, the entire experience is compelling and the unpredictability adds to that

The preview males it sound like most of the playthrough was kind of boring and shallow (go here, press a button, etc.) and then completely by chance, there was one time when the game did something more.

It's a pretty weak preview to be honest - you're right, he makes it sound like nothing happened until this one time something did. I'm wondering if he's leaving out stuff that happened on other "missions" or playthroughs or he's not specifically referring to one event?

Surely you can't just have a space game where you drift aimlessly to a point, scan it, and go home? Right?

And it was more of a byproduct of being teleported really far away

This has to be one of a number of random chance events though, I hope.

Phawx

Interesting discussion going on over here:
Indie games should be cheaper

I follow the Zeboyd guys on Twitter and their school of thought is, can't be too low as you leave yourself very little to discount as well as perceived shovelware. If you price yourself to high, people (who are used to sales) will just wait for a sale. And if they are just going to wait for a sale, then they are going to forget about your game.

And if the first sale comes and you remember it, maybe you can wait longer until the next sale or possibly when it gets bundled.

In 2008, if anything ever reached $5, I insta-bought it. Today though, insta-buying is now at $1.

Insta-buy = don't think or look at reviews, just buy it.

Basically the only games that I *really* want to play, I'll go and buy it. But I'll go to places like Nuuvem or GMG instead of the Steam store. Which to me says they should discount it via the humble widget. Humble only takes 5% so they could say, "Hey our game costs $20, but $5 of those dollars goes to Valve. Instead buy from our site for $16.

Don't know if Steam allows that for individual devs as opposed to authorized resellers though.

Antumbra - Very creepy adventure game, it may look like simple adventure but think outside the box is needed to advance through the game. Recommended

Sector Six - I usually enjoy shooters but this one didn't grab me. The controls felt floaty and the design isn't memorable a all. The main idea of upgrading your ship as you collect enemy parts is nice, but the modules are just too much generic, as a good point the music is very nice.

There is no game - It's a meta game, funnier than what I was expecting. I don't want to talk more about it since it can be spoilerish and the game is really short, just go and play. Highly recommended

Void Vikings - This one is pretty good, I played the version available on Newgrounds and it's very solid and fast paced shooter. While there aren't many variations on the sceneraies the frantic nature of the game made me pay little attention to it, mostly of the time I was worried about dodging the enemy bullets and paying attention to my abilities cooldowns. Highly recommended.

titch

not going to get to put up new steam games for the month probably until sunday evening uk time - the netbook is just too time consuming and not reliable enough to use to the c&p.

Any chance the new thread wont be up by then?

not going to get to put up new steam games for the month probably until sunday evening uk time - the netbook is just too time consuming and not reliable enough to use to the c&p.

It solely depends on Toma, mostly of the time the new thread is made around the first or the second day of the month

Toma

I likely will either put up the thread saturday or monday depending on my free time.

23qwerty

Does anyone have some suggestion for fun and easy couch multiplayer games? Something that is easy to jump in to when u have some friends over for some gaming.

I have both ps4 and wiiU.

Gotta add Crawl and Lethal League for tons of replayability, and the Yawhg which is good for a few replays at least.

Phawx

My Quick Look on The Swindle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMHXKHIrVs

header.jpg

Quick Impressions: If you've played the developer's previous game, Gun Monkeys, you'll kind of have a brief yet outdated understanding of the "feel" of the game. It's largely the same but has been heavily tweaked making it far more responsive and, most importantly, appropriate for the setting.

The general gist of the game goes like this. Scotland Yard has a device that will offer complete surveillance and will be put into effect within 100 days. If it is employed, thievery won't be possible anymore. So you need to start getting money to get tools to pull off "The Swindle". You need to steal the device, the Devil's Basilisk.

You have 100 days. Each heist takes a day. Each Heist has a procedurally created building. (There can and will be times when loot will be seemingly caved in with no proper path, with which you'll need to use explosives or teleport into them) There is no permadeath. Dying will just make a new thief appear with all of your previous enhancements and money in the bank. Any money obtained on the mission will go away when dying as well as losing a day.

That's the setup. The game gets progressively harder in two ways. One is by gaining time and/or experience points. So the first level on the first day only has robot guards who can only *see* an intruder. But the first level on the tenth day will also have flying probes that cast their glance diagonally as well. The second level will introduce locked doors and beefier guards that require more than one hit to take down.

The game ramps up slowly in difficulty and produces a nice tutorial-like effect. Early on you have visual indicators that shows landing a jump produces a loud sound. There is a sneak button that, when held, landing a jump will produce no sound, however, you have a 2~ second inability penalty.

There is also two things that happen when you set off an alarm. One is guards will pick up any loose money laying on the ground and computers will start dumping their money to another location, preventing you from hacking it out. The second is an unseen timer that will unleash a fleet of the best guards Scotland Yard has to offer. Ones that will actually level a building to end you.

It feels very much like a Roguelike in that there are many of the same elements including new, kind of nonchalant items in newer levels that need to be learned before you fear them with all of your life. Like mines. Because, you know, mines are a totally reasonable defense system to protect your money.

Bottom Line: The Swindle takes some Rogue elements and some RPG elements and puts them into a Thiefy Steam Punk game. Very recommended.

Phawx

I bought and played it at as well for 4-5 hours straight yesterday or something. I can recommend it too, although there are some issues with repetition.

The funny thing is, I would totally agree with you on the repetition thing, but the "100 days mechanic" totally takes my mind off of it.

I don't think, "Ugh I have to do this again?", I think "Crap I only have 99 more times to do this?"

Been following Konjak for the longest time, (a quick aside, I just noticed now that he no longer follows me on Twitter ::sadface::) glad to see this is getting closer to a proper release.

Top Bottom