• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Super Mario Maker level so far

KooopaKid

Banned
What's your favourite Super Mario Maker level so far?

Not made by yourself or Nintendo of course!

Only one level per post allowed.

I really liked this one last night. Tough but fair.

Bomb-omb Run (855C-0000-0040-868F)

WVW69iZE57IWoL9RJd

Schlomo

There are many great levels out there already, but here's one of my favorite makers:

The Wooden Tower
0B1E-0000-0014-ECE0

Mario has to descend a tower. No spectacular gimmicks, just a really really well done stage with perfect difficulty and nice visuals.

[Edit]
I'll put this as a runner-up then if it's alright:

A Mario Between Worlds
F3CA-0000-0061-30C9

Brilliant take on the "change between two different versions of the same stage" formula.

(Check out their other stuff too!)

KooopaKid

Banned
Does this mean GAF is only interested in showing off their own levels and not play levels from others? Surely you played at least one excellent level!

Munter

People are posting levels in the OT, do we really need another post where levels get posted?

Nice idea, but I suggest we leave it for the OT.

KooopaKid

Banned
This thread is for the absolute best of the best and include levels from outside of GAF as well. The main thread consists of 70% of people posting their own levels. We need a separate thread not for self-promotion.

braves01

Banned
I played a cool SMW level that involved spin jumping on thwomps. I'll edit this a bit later with the code.

A Waltz with the Thwomps by Harilec

CD74-0000-0015-7B96

I like this idea OP, the OT (while really good) is too chaotic and I wish the OP dedicated more levels to the Community Highlight (I already went through the list... 8( )

Here is my current favorite level:

Light and Shadow
by Robin64Tue 15th Sep 2015 C82E-0000-0038-7E5F

cvR4MqL.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
B-Bech's Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

721B-0000-0025-1463

Total flashbacks to Mario 3D World here, really neat design.

massoluk

Banned
Does this mean GAF is only interested in showing off their own levels and not play levels from others? Surely you played at least one excellent level!

Way too many Super Mario Maker threads get closed by the mod. So we just kinda keep it at the OT now.

Roo

The OT is a chaos of self promotion. It's very difficult to find the levels that are really exceptionally great.
Yup. Kind of why I stopped going there.
all those images, codes and shit literally every post is overwhelming

Munter

This thread is for the absolute best of the best and include levels from outside of GAF as well. The main thread consists of 70% of people posting their own levels. We need a separate thread not for self-promotion.

I take it back, it probably is a good idea to have a thread like this. Accept my apologies. Will subscribe so i can try some of the levels when I get home from work.

totowhoa

Banned
Do we really need a thread for people to post codes to their favorite Mario Maker levels when there's already a thread for people to post codes to their favorite Mario Maker levels?

I don't personally mind it since that's full of people posting their own levels. I plan on going through this thread this evening now :)

Much like the game itself, that thread has some filtering / quality issues, naturally. Though I haven't checked in to see if the OP's started highlighting levels over there

KooopaKid

Banned
Do we really need a thread for people to post codes to their favorite Mario Maker levels when there's already a thread for people to post codes to their favorite Mario Maker levels?

Yes we do, in that thread people only post their own levels. It's a mess.
As I said earlier :

Dimmle

I played a featured one this morning that was stellar, probably the most "Mario-like" level I've seen so far.

Boooombastic!
(A756-0000-005F-5D47)

WVW69iaX6KgY0OKXar

Doesn't try to blow your mind, doesn't pile on elements, isn't more concerned with aesthetic than pace; it's a genuinely good time.

EDIT: I think it'd be nice if there was some more comprehensive aggregation going on with submissions in the OT, though. The fact that most levels are overlooked and users are compelled to re-post their stuff is amplifying the noise level.

Also, we don't need a companion thesis for your course. Let the work speak for itself.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Nice thread, consider me subscribed, I love the idea of promoting your favorite (but not your own) levels thread.

Been fairly disappointed at the community content of this game so far (to be fair, I haven't tried GAFs stuff yet).

Thud

I don't know if I can look it up. It was on Day 1. Everything was crap, then there was a SMB Ghost Level in the vein of metroid. I instantly starred it.

KooopaKid

Banned
There are many great levels out there already, but here's one of my favorite makers:

The Wooden Tower
0B1E-0000-0014-ECE0

Mario has to descend a tower. No spectacular gimmicks, just a really really well done stage with perfect difficulty and nice visuals.

Yes very well designed indeed.

Thanks for this thread OP, much needed from the cluster fuck that is the OT. Wondering if anybody has found some blogs or features done by the regular outlets showing off the best they've found. Would be nice to find an ongoing "top ten of the week" deal somewhere.

Platy

Superb level desing and incredible skills, thanks.

Incredible skills, yes

Not suberb level design.
You only need to discover that you need to keep the bomb after you already died 5 times.
If you fail the yoshi part you are stuck in a place that you can't die.
It has TONS of design problems.

A level based on frogger and its pure genius. You play as skippy and have to drop down avoiding enemies that rotate in between the drops like cars. When you beat the first level, you warp pipe to the second level which gets harder.

B_Bech

B-Bech's Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

721B-0000-0025-1463

Total flashbacks to Mario 3D World here, really neat design.

D'aw thanks! I really love all the Gaf levels I play, it's near impossible to chose a favorite. I think I played an automatic Mario Kart level that had you on a shell racing other shells. I normally shun such stages as not real levels... but it was just so masterfully orchestrated I had to star it. It's one of the most popular stages, I believe.

Crisium

My favourite non-GAF level:

It's a SMB3 theme that I could see as an actual late game Mario level. Decently challenging but never unfair. Powerups are generally not free and take a bit to earn - but are also never required.

I was on a SMM stream promoting my own level, and stuck around after mine was played. I'm glad I did because that's where I saw this level, and while the streamer could not complete it I was able to in four tries so I think it is very fair and any deaths would be on the user. I like any stages that could reasonably be in a Mario game and have some challenge but don't pull unpredictable deaths, so this was a pleasure to play.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepdsqkd.jpg

Potentially good idea for a companion thread here. I try to read the OT fairly regularly but at 221 pages and counting it's impossible to keep up with at times and the temptation there is to focus on promoting your own level instead of posting impressions on others.

Anyways, I don't know if it's my favorite (way too hard to choose), but last night I played "But the Future Refused to Change" by Jims.
ID: 6FCF-0000-0034-6305

Really unique little stage with a simple yet clever and engaging "past vs future" dual layout, highly recommend giving it a spin. And how can you go wrong with a level named after a beloved Chrono Trigger quote?

KooopaKid

Banned
Aperture Science
(249C-0000-0067-A2D3)
WVW69ia0UDEfq5B3Rc

My next puzzle level is short but sweet. It's story driven so make sure you leave Miiverse commentary on. There is only one enemy in the whole stage: glaDOS. This level isn't hard, but Portal fans may recognize a few things. Check it out!

Try this one people, it's good!

Do you have a code for one of his levels? I want to check them out.

I'm not home right now so I'm not sure how to get one. If you can search by user look for IGA from Japan. If not, I'll post one here later.

He recreated Castlevania levels and also created some of the funniest original levels I've come across.

My favorite level so far is the recreation of Mega Man 2's Dr. Wily stage 1:
WVW69iX_3LgAGBpSR2

(5BDE-0000-001A-318F)

I encountered it when I was browsing some YouTube videos. The level faithfully recreates the feeling of the original level and creatively incorporates the ideas of Item 1 and 3 in the level. Finally, the cherry on the cake, the level concludes with an awesome boss fight that resembles the original Mecha Dragon's battle.

Here's a playthrough by the level's creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zer7_LxGA3c

Top Bottom