• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer |OT| Furry Real Estate Simulator

kubus

vArYYfP.png

xyf0Ji7.png

ECR9rHg.png

Title: Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Release date: September 25 (North-America), October 2 (Europe)
Platform: (New) Nintendo 3DS / 2DS
Price: $39,99 / €39,99 / £34.99
Blocks: 4,038
amiibo support: Yes, through Animal Crossing amiibo cards
Preload: Yes
Save files: 1​

4tkWE48.png

GzwJm0N.png

WufP9Um.png

pw5GjKp.png

z8KY5om.png

eLynLSF.png

CCmSRge.png

swyJHtn.png
What is this game?
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is a spin-off title of the Animal Crossing series on the Nintendo 3DS in which you design homes happily.

swyJHtn.png
Wait, that's all?!
Well yes. Sorta. Of course you create your own character first (btw you can choose your own skin color now!) as is standard in the Animal Crossing series, but there is no
fishing, bug catching, scalping turnips or inflicting RSI on yourself while trying to lay tiles in your town.

swyJHtn.png
So all you do is design homes?
Yes! You are an employee of Nook's Homes - a real estate company that builds and decorates houses for their clients. Animals will come to visit and tell what kind of house
they want and then you make their wish come true!

swyJHtn.png
Are there any new features in this game at all?
Glad you asked! Of course, because of the emphasis on decorating, a lot of new features have been added to make designing and moving furniture around easier than ever.
For example, there are select, copy and paste functions now, you can skid between tightly placed furniture, and you can use the touch screen to drag and drop pieces of
furniture where ever you want.

swyJHtn.png
Ok that's cool. Anything else?
Sure is, Mike. You can also hang things from the ceiling now, as well as decorate outside! How about putting a fence around the house? You can also drop furniture in the
garden, like a slide which children can play with!

swyJHtn.png
But there are no children in Animal Crossing.
Sssh.

VRKrTLK.png

swyJHtn.png
Alright but don't you get tired of just decorating houses?
Probably, yeah! Luckily, decorating houses is just a part of the game. Once you've succesfully completed some requests, you can start decorating facilities as well! There's
a big hub, similar to the city from Animal Crossing: City Folk/Let's Go to the City where you can help build new facilities such as a school, restaurant, a department store,
hairdressers-

swyJHtn.png
Ok ok enough with the spoilers. So how do I unlock furniture?
You have to buy amiibo cards to unlock furniture. Cards are sold in blind packs of three, each sold for $4,98, only while supplies last.

swyJHtn.png
WTF?! Amiibo was a mistake, it's nothing bu-
Just kidding. Furniture is unlocked as you complete requests. The more 'missions' you take on, the more stuff you unlock! You can also go back and redo some requests if
you feel like a newly unlocked chair would better suit that house.

swyJHtn.png
But there are amiibo features right?
Yep, for the first time in the form of amiibo cards. The first set contains about 100 cards and they all feature one villager on them. The cards are sold in blind packs of three
in Japan and Europe, and packs of six in North America. Each pack, regardless of territory, will always contain one special amiibo card, which simply means they feature a
special villager that can't be unlocked through normal gameplay (think Tom Nook, Resetti, etc.) - this is the only amiibo exclusive content.

swyJHtn.png
What about my waifu? Is she amiibo exclusive as well?!
Isabelle will help you during the game but to build a house for her you're gonna need her card. So either buy shit tons of booster packs in hopes you get her, or start saving
up and refreshing eBay.

swyJHtn.png
Damnit!
....Don't you want to at least know what the cards do or are you already determined to collect them all regardless?

swyJHtn.png
Oh right, go ahead then.
There are two ways you can use the amiibo cards. One is by scanning in the card at the amiibo phone in your office. This way you can call up the villager on the card and
invite them over for an interview to have their house built. Using this, you can sidestep RNG as otherwise your clients are sort of randomized. The other use is for inviting
over villagers into other animals' houses. This way you can set up scenes and take cute photographs.

29baSGv.png

swyJHtn.png
You can visit animal's houses outside work hours?
Yeah you can! As long as you're not on the job, you're free to visit the houses of the villagers you've helped, or even explore the hub town and check out what everyone's
doing in the various facilities you built. There will also be lots of animals walking around the city, minding their own business. If you talk to them, you can convince them to
get a house built. Also, the game doesn't use a real time clock and you can end the day whenever you feel like it.

swyJHtn.png
Cool cool. Anything else you can do outside of decorating jobs?
There's a bunch of stuff you can do at the office, such as changing your appearance, messing around with the amiibo phone, creating your own designs and even studying!

swyJHtn.png
Did you just say... studying?
Yep - using play coins you can study courses and unlock new features, like changing the appearance of windows, customizing furniture and unlocking more decorating items.

swyJHtn.png
Alright, sounds fun. So how do you 'pass' a request?
Actually, the game wants you to give you as much creative freedom as possible so the animals will accept any house you give them. So if you're looking for a challenge or a
high score kinda something, you're not going to find it in Animal Crossing: HHD. The animals will give you a theme to work with, such as "More construction site than house"
or "A house where kids can play in the garden" and they usually have some personal belonings that they definitely want you to place in their house. When designing facilities,
you also need to place some specific items (what's a school without a blackboard?!) but overall you're pretty much free to do whatever you want.

swyJHtn.png
Sounds good! Any online features?
There is something called the Happy Home Network which enables players to share their rooms online and have them rated by other players who can come visit your creations.
Nintendo is also hosting online contests, which has players create rooms based on specific themes.

swyJHtn.png
How about streetpass and spotpass?
Sadly there are no Streetpass features in this game. But Nintendo has distributed DLC items in Japan for this game through Spotpass so maybe we can expect something
similar here as well in the future!

swyJHtn.png
Please tell me sharing screenshots is less of a pain in the ass this time.
The Image Share function does make a return and this time you can share your snapshots to Miiverse, Twitter and Facebook in-game, without having to exit to the 3DS Menu.
As always, simply press both the L1 and R1 buttons simultaneously and you'll snap a picture.

swyJHtn.png
Alright... So I put 400 hours into New Leaf, you think the game is for me?
Well that depends. Did you spend all your time completing your catalog, collecting bugs and seeing all the different events? You won't find that stuff in this game. But if you
loved decorating your house and you want to do more of that, with no restrictions, having complete creative freedom and a better UI and controls? Then you might just spend
another couple of hundred hours in this game. The important thing is that you know what to expect and deciding if that's going to be enough for you!

swyJHtn.png
Ok thanks kubus you the real mvp.
It's cool.

O7SeEVK.png

dQZy2yd.png

Enjoy the game everyone!

rnWsEvR.jpg

swyJHtn.png
Sounds good! Any multiplayer features?
Sadly there are no multiplayer, online or even Streetpass features in this game! If it's of any comfort to you, the Image Share function does make a return and this time you
can share your snapshots to Miiverse, Twitter and Facebook in-game, without having to exit to the 3DS Menu. As always, simply press both the L1 and R1 buttons
simultaneously and you'll snap a picture.

swyJHtn.png
I read somewhere that there is online stuff though >__>.
Okay fine, there is something, but it was only released as an update in Japan so far. This is the "Tsukutta" update, which enables players to share their rooms online and
have them rated by other players who can come visit your creations. Nintendo is also hosting online contests, which has players create rooms based on specific themes.
HOWEVER, this feature is not (yet) present in the Western release of the game and we do not know yet if Nintendo plans to bring it over here.

I'm playing a review copy of the game, and Happy Home Network is present in it, with the same functionality as in Japanese Tsukutta mode. As far as I understand, there is a "day zero patch" which adds it.

kubus

I'm playing a review copy of the game, and Happy Home Network is present in it, with the same functionality as in Japanese Tsukutta mode. As far as I understand, there is a "day zero patch" which adds it.
Darn it!
I had this gut wrenching feeling that this was the case but after search didn't turn up anything I figured it wasn't in the game.

Thanks for the heads up, will fix the OP!

Nachos

The home decorating and clothing design aspects were my favorite parts of New Leaf, so at least on the surface, this seems like the perfect game for me. I'm just worried about there not being enough progression or meaningful/structured enough objectives to keep me hooked. I don't see this selling as well as NL, though it certainly won't bomb like STEAM.

jax

Banned
So the only way you can build for a specific villager is through the cards? Lame.

-buys all the cards-

backlot

I'm looking forward to this. I saw some videos and it looks like the customization options in this are pretty deep. I hope the features of this game find their way into the next main series Animal Crossing game.

akileese

So the only way you can build for a specific villager is through the cards? Lame.

-buys all the cards-

Kinda torn on whether or not I wanna pick this up. I enjoyed collecting everything in Animal Crossing and put in hundreds of hours but home building wasn't my favorite part so I think I may pass.

I have a feeling that this game won't be for everyone, just based on how there's no real scoring system or anything like that, but it sounds right up my alley. Relaxing and creative fun, with neat little Amiibo card stuff and not a lot of restrictions. Plus no enforced real-time stuff, which has just become a pain more than anything in recent Animal Crossing games.

My only question: Can we have more than one save file on the same cart? My younger sister likes to play Animal Crossing too but she doesn't have her own 3DS yet so I just let her play on mine a lot. Will she be able to have her own character and progression in this or will I need to let her play as me?

I never really focus on decorating in the main games since there's so much stuff I to do and there is also the fact that my house acts as a bigger storage unit . Lol So I'm interested in picking this up. Is there any limit to how many homes I can do a day? ( not sure if I missed that while scanning the main post)

moozoom

Still salty about the EU price versus the US price, but I can't wait to play this ! I got some Japanese amiibo cards last night as a gift from a friend that went to japan, so I'm ready... Let's decorate !

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Still salty about the EU price versus the US price, but I can't wait to play this ! I got some Japanese amiibo cards last night as a gift from a friend that went to japan, so I'm ready... Let's decorate !

?

I'm curious: How many Amiibo cards are people planning on picking up?

I've got 4 packs coming from Amazon but I don't think I'll want any more than that. A friend of mine managed to get a Gamestop to hold a full box of card packs for him to buy on release day because he wants the entire set, but I just don't think I'd ever need that many.

Are you guys thinking about sticking with the one pack-in card, picking up a booster or two, or going whole-hog with collecting the sets?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

I've got 4 packs coming from Amazon but I don't think I'll want any more than that. A friend of mine managed to get a Gamestop to hold a full box of card packs for him to buy on release day because he wants the entire set, but I just don't think I'd ever need that many.

Are you guys thinking about sticking with the one pack-in card, picking up a booster or two, or going whole-hog with collecting the sets?

none

I will probably just buy physical AC: amiibo festival and use whatever will be bundled with it.

DarkWish

I'm gonna try and collect them all since I've been collecting amiibo and I like collecting things like cards. So far just got 4 packs from Amazon but gonna try and track more down soon.

SeZMehK

I just want my waifu card! Lol. Ordered 3 packs from walmart. Hopefully that's all I need. BTW is there a list as to what animals are in series 1?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the link in OP. Lol.

Edit: Yea, I need that Isabelle and Diana card! Lol

kubus

Saw your crickets tweet kubus. Nice OP, I'm in.
Such a lovely OT. The Game Features section with the FAQ was really fun haha.
Not interested in the game but very nice OT.
Thanks everyone! I had fun writing the OT, if people find it entertaining then I'm happy ^^

My only question: Can we have more than one save file on the same cart? My younger sister likes to play Animal Crossing too but she doesn't have her own 3DS yet so I just let her play on mine a lot. Will she be able to have her own character and progression in this or will I need to let her play as me?
It's been a while since I last booted up the game but I'm 99% sure you can only have one save file :(. Sorry.
(Or they changed it for some crazy reason in the NA/EU version...)

Can't wait to get my bundle tomorrow and hopefully I can stop by Best Buy to get the cards to use my GCU discount.

And the face plates, particularly the KK & Animal Crossing cast, I need those...

Saraluna

Neo Member
I got my copy in the mail a day early today. Can anyone tell me if amiibo card included with the game in NA is the same for everyone, or random...?

Grylvak

Great OT! I will be using this a lot.

Are any of the non-card amiibo compatible with this game or is that unknown? (Smash, Splatoon, Yarn Yoshi)

Robin64

Plus the ratios are so screwy in packs of 3 compared to the packs of 6. Us Europeans are going to have soooo many "special" dupes, making them not special at all.

I'm not entirely convinced yet but this seems to be the parts of Animal Crossing that I do like.

I suppose what would really sell me on it is finding out exactly what the online features are. Yes I read the bit in the OP ;) Nice job by the way!

Velcro Fly

Loved decorating in New Leaf but hated it at the same time. It always felt so clunky. Gotta move this stuff and have it in my pockets. Then put it away. Then get the stuff I want to decorate with. By the time I had the new furniture out it was like fuck it this looks fine time to go do something else. Very excited for how quick and easy it looks to decorate and redo things.

Also going all in on the cards. I've wanted them for a while and hopefully I'll get a good mix including the ones I want! Obviously I'll have to wait until later for Hopper but I look forward to the day we are reunited in the Animal Crossing world.

I love Animal Crossing, but I just don't know if I can pull the trigger on this one. Part of what made Animal Crossing so great was the environment, which is in this game, but the sense of discovery and attention to life in general.

I know this is completely different type of game, but still not sure.

Paid off my bundle at Gamestop so I'll be picking it up after work.

KK Slider plates preordered off of Amazon France while the Animal Crossing cast one in the OP have been preordered off Amazon Italy. Just need to get my cards (hopefully from Best Buy) and I'll be set.

Will feel good to transfer my stuff from my 3DS XL to my n3DS.

UberTag

I love Animal Crossing, but I just don't know if I can pull the trigger on this one. Part of what made Animal Crossing so great was the environment, which is in this game, but the sense of discovery and attention to life in general.

I know this is completely different type of game, but still not sure.
My stance is that in a perfect world this would have been released as an expansion to the original Animal Crossing: New Leaf, add this new home designer mode, Amiibo card functionality and a host of new content and furniture to bring back estranged gamers like myself... while also allowing you to employ the new intuitive home design mechanics into dressing up your house and inventory in the main game.

What we got instead is, well... not nearly as enticing.

jax

Banned
My stance is that in a perfect world this would have been released as an expansion to the original Animal Crossing: New Leaf, add this new home designer mode, Amiibo card functionality and a host of new content and furniture to bring back estranged gamers like myself... while also allowing you to employ the new intuitive home design mechanics into dressing up your house and inventory in the main game.

What we got instead is, well... not nearly as enticing.
At least we get the full Animal Crossing U game this November ...

wait

Top Bottom