• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 |OT| free with selected cereal boxes

OT awaiting day one patch - please stand by

uwrzsvF.gif

...you can keep this one though.

8t65a3s1i.gif

eFKac

Lol I actually wish that was true, there is something cute and endearing about games coming with cereal (as seldom as it happens)
I always give them a shot :-D

TimmiT

The Sonic 4 of THPS.

Will the impossible be achieved? Will this game become the next Sonic Boom?

If it continues like the Sonic franchise did, you'll first get a couple of decent games and a Diddy Kong Racing-inspired kart racer before you get to Tony Hawk Boom.

Hasney

So has anyone actually played it yet? I might pick it up but waiting for reviews first.

Ok so:

•The slam button is not a hold down button. You slam EVERY TIME YOU HIT TRIANGLE. There is no hold down to slam you ALWAYS slam when you hit the grind button. No matter where you are or what you are doing. It is irritating as shit.

•Lip tricks are way too hard to hit. I was messing with the tutorial and needed to do 3 lip tricks. It took about 15 attempts. Some times I would just fly out of the pool instead of doing the trick and the other times I would do a grind. Even while coming directly at the lip of the pool at a straight run.

•Wall riding is fucked. IF you come at a wall ride like you've always come at a wall ride, in Skate or in Tony Hawk, you just hit the wall and grind down. You don't go up. You go straight down. It's like you kiss the wall. However, if you go to the wall STRAIGHT FORWARD you go up. Because that's how physics work and going perpendicular to a wall is really going to help you build up a combo.

I have spent very little time with it so don't call this anything major, but the main thing I want to point out is that the slam button thing. Usually I go into a game playing it for the first time and don't discover something to hate several hours in. This happened as soon as I started playing. And I don't even mind stuff like the 'decelerate or accelerate' button. Right now I'm just dealing with how this game doesn't work right as a Tony Hawk game. Maybe I'll try another level and the wall ride and lip tricks thing will be a bug.

But the slam shit is very real. And very fucking awful.

You know what would also be really hot in a Tony Hawk game? If there was a load time whenever you go into a mission while you're in free skate. Even though you're in the same level. Doing Skate while doing the Sick score? Pft that's too seamless. We need load times going in and out of the mission. Also, we don't need lip trick,grind trick variants, but we totally need sticker slaps still.

Oh and did I mention that this game is an online game? What do I mean by that? Well if you'd like to play a level, you can press X to play a level. Or you can press... triangle to start a private match. So if you want to play by yourself, you're clearly not doing what they want you to do. And while in that private match in your 'massive free skate zone'(which I've found so far tiny of the first 3 levels'). You can't pause. YOU CAN NOT PAUSE WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING BY YOURSELF

I did play as Weezy F Baby and knock over some Swag Crates 7/7 though. So I got that going for me.

THPS
'Hey there's a rail there I'm going to hit triangle to magnetize to it and when i'm close enough i will'
THPS
'Hey there's a rail there I'm going to hi--- and my combo's gone'

I lost connection while uploading a clip to show what I'm talking about and got kicked from my private single player session. So that's fun.
c0yNM0J.gif

Here I go for a grind and get a slam instead. Look how close I am to the ledge. So the magnetization is worse than previous entries while far more punishing because of the comba instantly ending where as I should have been able to grind, flip trick and manual(which is what I wanted to do)

PS4/3/360/Xbone.

Technically what's currently being released is the PS4/XB1 versions.

PS3/360 versions (which won't come with online multiplayer) will be released later in November.

The Sonic 4 of THPS.

Actually this is an apt comparison but it's more like Sonic 4 Episode 2.

At least with Sonic 4, its low-budget status granted it a low-profile release (digital stores for 15 quid). Activision on the other hand actually believes what they're putting out is worthy of a 60 quid retail release.

Reviewers probably haven't even played it yet

And that's because they have to go to the store to buy it first...

rugioh

Banned
LMFAO. Did people really think Robomodo was going to get the physics right between THPSHD and now? That magnetized grinding looks like its even worse than it was in HD

Warxard

Banned
What's the soundtrack like? Anything by Forrest Gump?

I'm playing THPS5 now and Let me tell you the soundtrack is the only thing i can say that's objectively great.

Doesn't beat THUG2's soundtrack but it's definitely in my top 5 for Hawk tracks.

What's the soundtrack like? Anything by Forrest Gump?
close
Pro Skater 5 Soundtrack:

Anti-Flag – "Stars and Stripes"
Atmosphere – "Southsiders"
Black Pistol Fire – "Hipster Shakes"
Bully – "Milkman"
Cloud Nothings – "I'm Not Part of Me"
Cold Cave – "A Little Death to Laugh"
Connie Price and the Keystones – "International Hustler"
Crass Mammoth – "All 149"
Deaf Poets – "Degenerate Mind"
Death - "Keep on Knocking"
Death From Above 1979 – "Virgins"
Deer Mother – "When the Wolves Come Out"
Doomtree – "Mini Brute"
Fake P - "Rorschach"
Family Force 5 – "Raised by Wolves"
Four Year Strong – "Go Down in History"
Harlan - "Moment to Myself"
Hundred Visions - "Our Ritual"
Hungry Hands - "Highline" by Hungry Hands
Icon for Hire – "Cynics & Critics"
Killer Be Killed – "Wings of Feather and Wax"
New Politics – "Everywhere I Go"
Plague Vendor – "Black Sap Scriptures"
Ratt Black - "Skate Rock"
Ratatat – "Cream on Chrome"
Royal Blood – "Little Monster"
The Schitzophonics - "Rat Trap"
State Champs – "Secrets"
Temples – "Shelter Song"
The Orwells – "Who Needs You"
The Sheds – "Bad Things Are Bad"
Yogi and Skrillex (feat. Pusha T, Moody Good, and TrollFace) – "Burial"

Edit:The inclusion of anything by Death makes it amazing-(for anyone who likes any form of punk-they had the punk sound a half decade before the Sex Pistols/Clash/Ramones took off)

Top Bottom