• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two (2K/Rockstar): ~20% of new AAA console game sales revenue come from digital

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This seems like the number that you now hear from any big publisher.

The only one that put me off a bit was the Madden change to 40% later in the season. But from the context it wasn't clear if that was referring to a change in monthly ratio or lifetime.

gdt

How does that number change in the life of the title?

And that just feels low. But numbers are numbers.

eFKac

Yeah that's more or less in line with the tidbits from other publishers regarding digital retail ratio, right?

Anyway, not bad, big chunk of the market, going more and more digital myself.

20-30% seems to be what is depending on the publisher.

I wonder how it breaks down per genre. Does Destiny and COD sell a higher percentage digitally because of the online focus then Assassins Creed which is primarily a single player game? That kind of stuff.

Boke1879

20-30% seems to be what is depending on the publisher.

I wonder how it breaks down per genre. Does Destiny and COD sell a higher percentage digitally because of the online focus then Assassins Creed which is primarily a single player game? That kind of stuff.

I'd say yes. No doubt

kenta

Has no PEINS
Interesting when paired with this snippet from the other T2 earnings report thread:

"-Revenue from digitally delivered content jumped by 57 percent to $141 million, making up 39 percent of Take-Two's overall revenue during the three-month period."

Roughly 40% of overall revenue while being 20% of new console game revenue

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's been moving up slowly over time from 10% to 15% to 20%, but yes, this is generally in line with other publishers.

Give that they are one of the strongest supporters of PC, out of the major publishers. I would view that as close to a ceiling. edit. Oh console only. Strange to cut out PC.

The digital to physical sales split has been around 20-30% since the PS4 and XB1 launched, right?

Sounds about right because every 5th internet comment is someone proudly proclaiming that they've gone "all digital" this gen.

I do wonder how it translates to units sold. AFAIK, publishers get a 70% cut on digital sales while it's lower on the retail side.

Then again, I don't doubt revenue is the most important metric for a pub.

Shenmue

Banned
9 out of 10 of my friends bought NBA 2k16 digitally.

*from a different region too to save extra.

Hold up let me find a jpg of a crow suckers.

DayEnder

you don't get to 100% digital overnight.

The only way you'll get 100% digital is if it is only offered digitally. There are many who will buy and prefer a physical copy whenever the option is available.

20% sounds pretty good especially with the higher margins on digital titles.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i'd like to know how much is digital game sales vs. dlc and microtransactions

edit: i guess it's in the title "game sales".. doh

So last generation was around ~10% and this generation is around ~20%. I'm guessing the numbers could go to 30-40% by the end of the generation. Sony and MS have taken a page out of apple/google/amazon and made it EXTREMELY easy to purchase content online with a click or two. Once I jump into the current generation, I'll be all digital.

Is it fair to add around ~20% on software sales?

Only for Halo.

Snark aside, this is very in line with expectations from all that I've read recently. Digital on the rise. They're probably going to need robust digital tracking someday real soon though.

Yes, I would say sooner rather than later. 20% is already significant enough IMO. Could be the difference between "Halo 5 sold 1.5 million, it bombed badly" to "Halo 5 sold 1.8 million, that's a drop from other Halos, but it's almost 2 million units sold". Also the difference between Uncharted possibly selling over 1 million in its first month in the US etc

Explains why software revenue from NPD is consistently down.

That it does.

erawsd

The only way you'll get 100% digital is if it is only offered digitally. There are many who will buy and prefer a physical copy whenever the option is available.

20% sounds pretty good especially with the higher margins on digital titles.

Yeah, exactly. I imagine its similar to CD vs digital album sales. It certainly seems like CDs sales would have flatlined by now but when you look at the data of people that are still spending money on music the truth is that CDs still make up around half of all album sales.

Saty

The exact wording from the transcript: http://seekingalpha.com/article/365...-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=6

Q: I figured it's worth asking what you're seeing in terms of the percent of games being downloaded and maybe where you expect that to go over time? Thanks.

A: To your question about the percent of purchases that come through digital distribution. For frontline, it could be 20% of our revenue, it could be a bit more than that. For catalog it's a much higher figure, for PC it's a much higher figure.

Top Bottom