• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X: preload and data packs available to download

x3zAPXg.png

Nintendo Direct: https://youtu.be/VF3AnGHbG6s?t=15m45s

New Trailer: https://youtu.be/yTGAwHbluZ0

If you are planning to buy the physical version of the game, you can download data packs to decrease loading times (fast travel, menus) and improve your gameplay experience.

You don't need to download data packs if you buy the digital version.

Now we wait for Dec 4...

Wait, wasn't this game supposed to be a seamless open world without loading screens?
Except for the initial one of course...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've been trying to keep my Wii U clean for months for exactly this. I think I might have to delete a few things either way tho.

I embrace additional options for gamers, especially if they are offered to us free of charge.
And I'm definitely going to make use of this one. Thanks NIntendo.
Kinda reminds me of the data installation for some of the PSP games.

My 64GB usb flash drive is ready.

Ridley327

Wait, wasn't this game supposed to be a seamless open world without loading screens?
Except for the initial one of course...

These aren't so much for loading times as they are for streaming improvements. Textures and geometry will load quite a bit faster with these augmenting your retail copy. You don't need them for the digital version since it's already fully installed on your storage device.

vareon

Cool! Now about the storage... I have an old SATA hard drive. Can I just slap a powered casing and be done with it?

RedBoot

Did anyone do any measurements on how much this saves on the Japanese version? I've probably got room for all of them, but if the Skel Pack saves me like 5 seconds every now and then, it's probably not worth the fridge space.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bleh, 10GB of data. Might have to finally give in & get a cheap HDD. Might just use my 16GB flash drive for the time being. It's mainly DKC TF taking up the most space (had to delete Wind Waker HD taking 1.7GB).

I can use an USB flash drive if it's just stuff like the data pack, correct? Nintendo said it's not recommended, especially for save data.

Apparently the Japanese version is 22.7 GB for comparison. So buy the retail and download 2-10 GBs to improve performance or bite the bullet and download ~23 GBs.
How do they manage to get such a file size on a DL-DVD?

Cool! Now about the storage... I have an old SATA hard drive. Can I just slap a powered casing and be done with it?
Assuming your powered casing offers an usb connection, yes.

I'm wondering, why do so many people want to choose an external HDD over an usb flash drive for their Wii U? I understand if you want to go purely digital and need those hundreds of GigaBytes, but why everyone else too?

Today's flash drives are very reliable and durable, not to mention cheap. As long as you don't use a rubbish no-name brand and choose one with usb 2.0 writing/reading speeds of at least 25-30MB/s, you should be totally fine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm wondering, why do so many people want to choose an external HDD over an usb flash drive for their Wii U? I understand if you want to go purely digital and need those hundreds of GigaBytes, but why everyone else too?

Today's flash drives are very reliable and durable, not to mention cheap. As long as you don't use a rubbish no-name brand and choose one with usb 2.0 writing/reading speeds of at least 25-30MB/s, you should be totally fine.
Directly from Nintendo:

Can I use a Flash/Thumb drive as an external storage device?

Because these devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, we do not recommend the use of Flash/thumb drives as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a hard drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.

Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.
Granted, I'm probably just gonna use my 16GB flash drive for the time being. Though does anyone have experience using flash drives for downloading extra Wii U content?

Can I use a Flash/Thumb drive as an external storage device?
•Because these devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, we do not recommend the use of Flash/thumb drives as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a hard drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.

•Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.

El Odio

Banned
So i would assume this was done for japan and people expected this?
The packs in general or the predownload because the packs were there and pretty sure predownloadable before release. Will get this onto my external HDD when I go home for break pronto.

Directly from Nintendo:

Granted, I'm probably just gonna use my 16GB flash drive for the time being. Though does anyone have experience using flash drives for downloading extra Wii U content?

I'm aware of this and that's probably the reason why most people do so.

I had to dig through this overwhelming wall of text FAQ before purchasing my Wii U a few months back.

To me it just feels more like an alibi for Nintendo and/or to avoid receiving too many support cases of lost data because of very bad quality flash drives.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh freakin' hell, my 16GB flash drive only has 14GB & eShop says I need about 15.7GB.

.......guess I'll keep an eye on cheap 32GB flash drives so I can download it & finally move DKC Tropical Freeze off my Wii U.

JimboJones

Directly from Nintendo:

Used a 16GB corsair drive for a year before getting a HDD and a y cable, just had demos on it. Been using a flash drive in my 360 for a good few years too installing disks to it and arcade games withought problems.

The 16GB drive is still alive and used for other stuff now BTW.

Top Bottom