• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those $100 Wintel microcomputers are getting insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For those less in the known, there's a new category of Windows mini PCs rocking the low end market with certifiable lilliputian sizes and prices. We are talking €/$100 or so.

Yeah, that cheap.

Most of those devices are based on mobile chipsets and are very limited in terms of power, but they pack enough to provide smooth Full HD playback over YouTube and even some 2D gaming/Minecrafting for a pittance, not to mention the usual MS Office stuff. Basically, some smart chinese manufacturers realized that they could take the same hardware used to make those janky ass Windows tablets and churn small computers at budget prices, giving birth to a new category of computers well below the Gigabyte Brix & Co.

I've been looking at them due to work, and I thought I could share some of the best known with the rest of GAF just in case somebody else had any experience with them and wanted to share their impressions.

Kangaroo

4FK73H3.jpg
4I4eWyg.jpg
Quite easily the most accomplished and legit of the bunch. Good enough to be sold through Microsoft's official store. Comes with a Intel Cherrytrail (Atom Z8500) processor clocked at 2.24GHz, 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage (plus a microSD slot). Oh, and a fingerprint reader and a four hour battery. Yes, it has its own battery.

Ports come in the manner of a dongle. Kangaroo says it will release new, optional ones with different ports and options. Not bad for 100 bucks.

Beelink POCKET P1

The posterchild of China don't care. I mean, look at that fucking logo. Other than that, it comes with a Intel Z3735F Bay Trail proc, 2/32 GB of memory, an activated copy of Windows 8.1 with Bing and a bunch of ports.

It also has its own internal battery, so you don't even need to keep it plugged all the time. Oddly enough, the manufacturer's site doesn't even mention this feature, much to the surprise of some users. It goes for $/€120 or so and reviews seem surprisingly positive.

VOYO V2

The odd duck. It's has the size of a power bank and it actually serves as one. You read that right. Shit comes with a 5.000 mAh battery and a microUSB port that can be used to charge your phone if needed. It also features an Intel Baytrail T Z3735F proc, 2/32+64 GB of memory, Windows 10 and an Ethernet port, which is not that common in this segment.

Apparently it's very nicely built, but some users have reported issues with their Windows license (which doesn't surprise me that much; I mean, look at their Lenovo Yoga and Apple Watch rip-offs... this is a company that doesn't give a shit) and the on board storage is rather slow. Also, it may decode 4K video, but it can't output it. Not that you should expect more from a $100 Windows computer named VOYO.

I was wondering if anybody at GAF has any experience with similar microcomputers. I love the RasPi and everything that has accomplished, but Wintel computers are getting so damn cheap it's hard not to look at those things if you are into easy home automation and embedded systems. I'm almost tempted to buy a Kangaroo or a VOYO just to fuck around and see what can I do with them.

NeOak

Holy shit at that Infocus price. I was looking for something as an HTPC and that thing is glorious.

Including a battery is an odd choice. Who is in a position to be using PC peripherals, but can get by with a couple hours of battery life?

They should have sold that separately and made an even smaller, less expensive unit.

NeOak

Including a battery is an odd choice. Who is in a position to be using PC peripherals, but can get by with a couple hours of battery life?

They should have sold that separately and made an even smaller, less expensive unit.
Consider it a built in UPS.

For $100 not complaining.

Biff

Great thread. Been keeping my eye on these as well.

My home laptop has two uses:
1. HTPC via hdmi to nearby tv
2. Occasional work usage through remote login, which requires Windows OS (almost always use the tv as my display)

If/when this thing craps out, my replacement will be a Wintel. Streaming sticks can't do #2.

Throw in a 128GB microsd and connect my wireless m/Kb through the USB slots, and I'm good to go.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It is definitely odd, although they seem to go after that consumer that would rather own just one computer/TV box and move it around the house to watch movies instead of owning two different devices. It may also be a nice option for people living in very small places.

I can only imagine they are so cheap because it takes less money to repurpose tablet hardware than reenginer it. Kangaroo is the only one that seems to be putting some actual work design-wise.

MrGerbils

Thoughts of any of these as to running a halfway decent mame cabinet?

Not looking to run dolphin or even N64 emus, but really just old school arcade and maybe NES or SNES if I'm feeling crazy?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Not looking to run dolphin or even N64 emus, but really just old school arcade and maybe NES or SNES if I'm feeling crazy?
Most games should run fine as long as you use the proper emulator and don't go after 3D stuff like Gauntlet Legends. People are running dedicated machines from busted ass Core2Duo computers with no issues.

Stick with the Rasberry Pi 2 if you want to play SNES and NES games.

Edit: I wonder how the Pi Zero would handle those two system emulators. Considering it's $5.
Dealing with a RasPi can be a bitch and half for many people though. And as much as I adore the idea, the Pi Zero stops being that nice of an option for emulation once you compute the cost of the accesories. Most of these tiny computers even come with their own cables.

soco

i remember when the first pc about this size came out. so much more expensive.

I like the idea of these, but don't think i'd ever have a good use for them. I'd just use my phone or pack along a laptop for something meatier.

MrGerbils

Stick with the Rasberry Pi 2 if you want to play SNES and NES games.

Edit: I wonder how the Pi Zero would handle those two system emulators. Considering it's $5.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146287

While I like the idea of tinkering with something to get it built and running, the familiarity of Windows is appealing to me. I know there's plenty of drivers and setup tools that I already know how to install and use.

If you just need to hook it up to a projector real quick to run a power point, the battery will be nice. It also has a phone app that you can use to access it wirelessly, so if you can use it really quickly to check something while it's still in your bag or pocket.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Meanwhile. IBM ships it's first 5Mb hard drive.

7iGch3c.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Re: Emulation performance.

I got mine about a week ago also - Haven't really tested much yet but from the testing so far am impressed - did play some classics (Robotron, Popeye, Frogger, Tapper, Street Fighter II CE ) and all played 100% - tried Street Fighter EX Plus which is a bit more graphical and it runs about 95% with dips to around 90% range - so it works well with most of the older arcade games and even some of the fighters but will definitely not be for newer heavy graphics games like Gauntlet DL or Street Fighter EX plus and higher. (the combo of onboard intel graphics and only 2 GB. of RAM being shared for the PC and the Graphics make heavily graphical games struggle) - Also played some games of Fix it Felix using the disney leaked version and Howards wrapper and it runs 100% with no slowdowns. Still seems a better alternative to the Pi and ArcadeSD as it performs as well as the Arcade SD but much cheaper and more game options.

For my setup I'm using a 19" Dell 4:3 monitor attached through a HDMI to DVI adapter and a separate USB sound adapter ( $0.99 job from China) with a 6ft HDMI cable running from the kangaroo to the HDMI to DVI adapter ( $1.00 cable and $4 Adapter) hooked to the monitor. A $10 set of PC speakers (110V instead of USB) hooked to the USB sound adapter and a USB 2.0 connection from the Kangaroo to the upstream USB connection on the monitor provides 4 USB 2.0 connections ( 1 used by the sound adapter - 1 for the Wireless Mouse/Keyboard dongle ( while testing and setting up) - 1 for the ZD encoder (using a cheap dual joystick 6 button CP I built for playing on my desktop for testing) and a $22 64GB EVO plus micro sd card for Mameui64 and the roms.

SO all in about $160 for the PC, adapters needed and monitor for a build that can play the classics and most of the mid level Mame games ( $99 Kangaroo + $22 MicroSD card + $1 6ft HDMI cable + 1 USB Printer cable + $1 USB sound adapter + $5 HDMI to DVI adapter + $10 PC speaker set + $20 Arrowdirect Dell 19" Monitor with 4 USB ports.) makes for a good start on a system for fairly little $.

Overall it is a good option if you keep in mind the limitations ( think it would perform better if they increased it to 4GB Ram, so the GPU chip could use more without limiting the CPU allowance ) but for the $99 a very good deal compared to the Arcade SD @ $350 - though by the time you add the microsd card - and various adapters depending on your monitor (An HDMI monitor would be fine for both sound and display but for VGA or DVI you'd need a solution for adapting the HDMI and also for sound ( tested with HDMI to VGA with sound adapter and HDMI to DVI and USB ssound adapter - and both work fine and are plug and play with the kangaroo automatically detecting and setting them up ) you're a bit higher at around $160+/-

SO overall it might take a couple more generations of chips to have something able to play all of the MAME games but this is closer than the other options so far - If I was building for a fighting machine or wanted newer games I'd still stick to a PC that had the options to upgrade the RAM and add an independent Gpu if the build had the room for one but this will definitely be good for space limited machines that keep the gamelist to slightly less demanding games ( As I mentioned it plays Street Fighter II CE fine but much more demanding and it starts to struggle a bit) and for the price point is definitely worth a look.

Sounds like a pretty damn good deal if you know what you are getting into.

ShowDog

I would really like one of these as an alternative to a Steam Link. For an extra $50 you can install a full copy of Steam and play natively on the device itself in addition to streaming.

Has anyone tried this?

smurfx

get some go again

it should handle all those system just fine.

That is pretty crazy. The only issue I could see with these is that they are outdated super quickly as far as being able to run video, resource intensive websites or programs. And I am not even saying video editing, but holy crap, recently programs like iTunes, web browsers, spotify desktop application, ect.

harSon

Banned
The only issue I have with the Kangaroo is the fact that it's 100% passively cooled, and gets insanely hot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The only issue I have with the Kangaroo is the fact that it's 100% passively cooled, and gets insanely hot.

Can you be a darling and tell me if the BIOS allows for boot on power? (read: the computer turns on as soon as you plug it on)

If so, damn.

I geek out on stuff like this, it's super impressive that Microsoft and hardware partners have managed to bring down the prices this low.

cbox

I wonder if the Kangaroo would be a good steam streaming machine, or just remote desktop in general.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can the kangaroo run HD video ?
It absolutely can. It is meant to be a Full HD media player among other things. It even supports 4K, although it looks like it chugs a lot (which is to be expected).

Won't be able to tell you until Monday unfortunately. It's sitting behind my monitor at work :p

Aw shucks.

I'm asking because I'm working on a project that would require a small computer to boot up from power, but since this is based on tablet hardware and has its own battery it could be problematic. Apparently you need to set the energy settings to power off so it actually turns off from Windows. I also have some doubts about the possibility of waking up the Kangaroo when receiving electricity since it uses its own battery and God knows about the way it's been configured by InFocus.

Ideally speaking, I should be able to boot up the computer and all its accesories from a smart power strip when receiving power and turn off everything when demanded from Windows.

Sinfamy

Is their UEFI/BIOS unlocked? Can I install Gentoo on them?
For the heat I would take it apart and add a slim heatsink.

jstripes

Banned
My family paid $1,899 for a PC in 1997.

Which is like $3,500 today.

This thing is waaay more powerful than that one.

But I've gotten so used to the constant drop in prices that $100 doesn't even surprise me anymore.

dave_m123

I bought a Cenova one of these neat little machine but it has real problems with some resolutions with the Intel HD chipset. I cant get it to display on a TV that has 1920X1200 at all and while it does display on a 1366X768 it overscans to much meaning much of the display is cut of and from what I can tell there is no way of fixing this.

You guys have any suggestions?

These are amazing. Subscribed to the thread. I'd love to nab one but I think I'll try to wait until they can squeeze a bit more ram in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom