• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "Poll shows 68% of my supporters would vote for me if I went independent."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10156389951165725:0

Donald Trump said:
A new poll indicates that 68% of my supporters would vote for me if I departed the GOP & ran as an independent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll-trump-cruz-rubio-clinton-sanders/76948760/

12360136_10156389951165725_5487745717975083638_n.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Warning shots fired to GOP elites. He knows they're prepping an anti-Trump offensive and this is his way of scaring them off.

Not sure one is a 'trump supporter' if they're not willing to vote for the person because of party affiliation. To me this says nearly 1/3rd of Trump voters are not supporters.

Please happen, the landslide democratic victory would be a game changer in the U.S....

I doubt it. I actually think Trump running third party could be a worst case scenario. Dem Nominee takes the presidency easily, sure, but it also means a very mobilized, passionate, angry, and active Republican electorate. They would split the vote for the Presidency, but would likely still be voting R down the entire ticket no matter which guy they pick.

Omg if he runs third party that could end up being a 1980-caliber landslide for the democrats. Let Goldwater 2.0 do it.

Warning shots fired to GOP elites. He knows they're prepping an anti-Trump offensive and this is his way of scaring them off.

Yeah ... this is his little "trump card" he has hiding in his back pocket. He's just letting them know it's there occasionally.

That letter he signed promising he wouldn't run independent was so stupid. Like that was a hard corner the GOP pinned him in. You guys sure got him good lol

I really wish the independent party got to be on the debate stage without having to jump through hoops. These two parties have such a stranglehold on the system.

nFSebim.gif

Seriously - do it. Maybe it'll be the first step on the road to the Republicans not pandering to the racist, ignorant pieces of crap that exist in this country anymore. I'm not sure how or why it would turn out that way so I'll just say reasons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah ... this is his little "trump card" he has hiding in his back pocket. He's just letting them know it's there occasionally.

That letter he signed promising he wouldn't run independent was so stupid. Like that was a hard corner the GOP pinned him in. You guys sure got him good lol

It's like they were begging him to stand up on a stage and rip it to pieces as he declared he would run 3rd party.

Also, I'm pretty sure more than a few states have "Spoiler Laws" in effect that don't allow a candidate to be on the ballot as a third party if they've already lost a primary for one of the major parties. Which is fucked up. So Trump supporters may not even be able to vote for him in certain states.

reckless

I doubt it. I actually think Trump running third party could be a worst case scenario. Dem Nominee takes the presidency easily, sure, but it also means a very mobilized, passionate, angry, and active Republican electorate. They would split the vote for the Presidency, but would likely still be voting R down the entire ticket no matter which guy they pick.

Well depending on how the Republican party reacted a lot of different things could happen.

PBY

Banned
It's like they were begging him to stand up on a stage and rip it to pieces as he declared he would run 3rd party.

To be fair, despite thinking he's awful - he would have every right to. He is polling #1 and they're trying to sabotage him.

Trump has done more good for Hillary's campaign than she ever has.

Exactly.

Five Trump threads on the front page.

Gaffers HATE him. You'll never guess what he did next

NeoGAF is made up mostly of decent, rational humans who are offended without end in sight by the stupidity of Trump and his followers.
It's fascinating how every day there is a different flavor of stupid from Trump.

KingBroly

Banned
Also, I'm pretty sure more than a few states have "Spoiler Laws" in effect that don't allow a candidate to be on the ballot as a third party if they've already lost a primary for one of the major parties. Which is fucked up. So Trump supporters may not even be able to vote for him in certain states.

I mean...he's winning the Republican nomination...unless this scares people off. This is probably the first thing that makes me go 'that's going to scare people away from him.' Everything else has made me think he's pulling a fast one on people. He's the anti-establishment candidate at this point, and that's making him an attractive candidate.

It would be a landslide for the presidency but not in congress. As long as republican voters show up to vote for anyone those local seats wouldn't be lost.

It wouldn't be a landslide in congress, but the GOP would almost certainly lose seats; especially if he went independent sooner than later. It could end up bolstering other more conservative local candidates to challenge. Even if the races all stayed the same, the confusion would make many independents wary of voting GOP for any office.

I've been saying to friends for a while that the GOP was going to fracture in 2020 and adopt a more Libertarian stance while evangelicals/tea party types split off. I really think it is the only path towards our democracy finally opening up to a real multi-party system and election reforms (which will likely end up benefiting liberals more than conservatives in the long game). Starting to seem like 2016 may be the start of it instead.

excellent!! everything is proceeding as I have foreseen!

I hope Trump stays in the Primaries as long as possible to hurt Jeb! and Rubio as much as possible then turn Independent when the Establishment blocks him

Hillary 2016!

Downhome

But what if he wins the primary voting, but they refuse to back and nominate him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair, despite thinking he's awful - he would have every right to. He is polling #1 and they're trying to sabotage him.

That's what makes it a dumb as fuck move on the GOP's part. Unless he implodes they've handed him a flamethrower, aimed it right at their own faces for him and are now goading him into pulling the trigger. It's idiocy of the highest level. They must never have had any idea as to who they were actually dealing with.

Keep in mind that he's got an army of $500/hr lawyers. If anyone could find a way around those laws it's Trump.

It started out pretty funny when he rode down that escalator but now that there are possibly real effects to this it's actually funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom