• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Paypal backers won't get Kickstarter rewards

TimmiT

The results are in for the poll posted in the final update of last year asking whether or not Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards should be made available for the Slacker Backer PayPal campaign.

The polling period lasted from December 24, 2015 to January 1, 2016. All Kickstarter Backers who pledged for a reward of $5 or more were eligible to vote. Of the 68,533 eligible Kickstarter Backers, there were 15,110 respondents.

The poll results are posted below. 4,670 of the respondents answered, “Yes, please make the Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards available on PayPal.” 4,009 respondents answered, “No, Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards are for Kickstarter only.” And 6,432 answered, “Either is fine with me.”

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

Thank you all for your participation. We hope everyone will continue to let their voices be heard as we go forward with the project.
IOqYmVh.png

BXTewzh.png
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1457889

So despite the majority of voters saying they would want Paypal backers to get the rewards or that they'd be indifferent to that happening, they decided not to give Paypal backers the rewards because the minority gave a "strong response".

Welp.

EDIT: Misread the article, it says they originally promised that the Paypal backers wouldn't be getting the Kickstarter exclusive rewards. In my defense: it's worded in a way that makes it look like they said that it was originally promised that they would be getting the rewards.

EDIT 2: Cause apparently people want big bolded letters and pictures for it to be made it clear:
TO CLARIFY:

All existing PayPal Slacker Backer rewards remain unaffected by the recent poll.

The poll was only to decide whether rewards that had been omitted (but previously available through Kickstarter) should be added to the line-up.

nothingchanged.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Almost seems like setting up that poll and pinning it on a vocal minority was an easy way out of spending a bunch of money sending out more rewards.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shouldn't that graph mean we wouldn't mind if PayPal backers got the rewards? lol
This Kickstarter.

So that means they'll offer refunds to paypal backers I imagine. I mean it's only fair since they promised them the rewards too.

Sylas

I love the fact that over half the people said yes or they don't care, but they decided to go with the people saying no.

What the actual fuck is the point of the poll if you aren't going to go with the majority reaction?

Arttemis

Kickstarter is about funding a project that wouldn't happen otherwise. The rewards shouldn't be anyone's concern. If you got them, cool. If you missed out on them, then so be it. The only important thing is the fact that the game did get funded.

In what way would kickstarter backers be negatively affected by slack backers getting the reward?
Is there something I have missed?

Orca

I love the fact that over half the people said yes or they don't care, but they decided to go with the people saying no.

What the actual fuck is the point of the poll if you aren't going to go with the majority reaction?

So they can say they asked, I guess.

Not giving rewards to late backers as a concept isn't too big a deal but the fact that they ignored how "yes + indifferent" got more votes than "no + indifferent" and claimed the latter had a stronger response isn't really that good..

EDIT: Did they really promise the rewards to Paypal backers earlier, before all this? Wow.

Gestault

If they're taking the step of making a survey to "decide," and then making a decision that's numerically at odds with the result, it really makes me think they had already made the decision.

I voted. I don't feel particularly strongly, but their reaction to the result is strange.

Dominator

So a bunch of backers of the KS voted for people to not get the rewards if they donated via PayPal? Are they assholes?

That's a win/win for them i guess.
Regardless of what they do, they can say, "Well, we're not upsetting a majority of voters."

I mean, not even 5k out of almost 70k eligible backers voted affirmative overall?
I can't really blame them for sloughing it off.

What's getting me is the number of people really demanding exclusivity. Seems...petty.

impact

Banned
In what way would kickstarter backers be negatively affected by slack backers getting the reward?
Is there something I have missed?

they want to be in some exclusive club

glad I never backed this. extremely shitty practice to open a poll then ignore the poll results just so the devs can be cheapasses.

Son Of D

I'm confused. They hold a poll asking whether Paypal backers should get the rewards where "no" is the loser by over 600 votes so they decide to not give the Paypal backers rewards.

Why hold the poll then if they were just going to ignore the results?

mdubs

Banned

I have no stake in this but what you're saying makes no sense. You could just as easily say that over half of people said no or they don't care

WolvenOne

....Another bad decision in a series of bad decisions. This campaign has NOT been well run at all. Which just tells you how badly people wanted ShenMue 3.

Makes you wonder how much more they would've gotten if it was a well ran campaign.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
they want to be in some exclusive club

glad I never backed this. extremely shitty practice to open a poll then ignore the poll results just so the devs can be cheapasses.

Exactly how I feel, and I actually really liked both Shenmue games. I'll just wait until it's out and if it looks good I'll buy it like a responsible consumer.

Persona7

Banned
You snooze, you lose. It's normally more expensive to fulfill these items as that's where kickstarter devs spend a lot of money. Just focus on delivering the game.

Good.
I'm happy with this decision.

Shit or get off the pot.

Kickstarter is about funding a project that wouldn't happen otherwise. The rewards shouldn't be anyone's concern. If you got them, cool. If you missed out on them, then so be it. The only important thing is the fact that the game did get funded.

So don't promise the rewards and then have a poll where the end result is that they should get the rewards and then go against it and not offer the rewards.

Top Bottom