• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Paypal backers won't get Kickstarter rewards

jacobeid

Banned
KS backer here. Wouldn't have been mad if PayPal backers got the same stuff.

I don't know man. Everyone is so angry about everything when it comes to video games :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
And they could have backed during the campaign like I did.

There are a lot of users who had to, for one reason or another, wait for a Paypal option to become available. I have seen this pop up many times over the course of dozens of Kickstarter campaigns. Many potential donors were begging for a Paypal payment option before the campaign wrapped up, but as with many things in this campaign, it was mismanaged and barely paid any mind until the midnight hour.

Sometimes, the world isn't so black and white as you'd think.

I did back the Kickstarter and I voted Yes in this poll, because:
1. What do I care what others get if they back this project? I already and definitely will get my stuff. Might as well help them by voting Yes so they can have fun too.
2. What sense would it make if people who backed through PayPal get nothing out of it? Might as well help them by voting Yes so they can have fun too.

The poll clearly showed that the majority of voters were fine with PayPal backers getting rewards or were at least indifferent to the idea.
The devs deciding that they suddenly need an 80-20 split or whatever is a seriously stupid decision that leads or has already led to a lot of backlash.

What was the purpose of the poll then?

So you can point to something and say 'Well, the COMMUNITY really wanted...' - when in reality you just don't want to pay for those rewards.

To be clear, were PayPal backers offered those rewards explicitly? Like if I had donated last month, was it suggested that I'd get a reward in return?

Edit - Okay, so this was entirely about supplemental rewards that previously had been denied to PayPal backers. Still shitty & cheap that the devs decided to exclude them & blame the fans - but not the outright con that this headline could be read as.

Loudninja

TO CLARIFY:

All existing PayPal Slacker Backer rewards remain unaffected by the recent poll.

The poll was only to decide whether rewards that had been omitted (but previously available through Kickstarter) should be added to the line-up.

nothingchanged.png

This is rather misleading. Paypal backers can still get most of the rewards that were offered to Kickstarter backers on the Slacker Backer page. This poll was to see if certain rewards that were advertised as "Kickstarter Exclusive", such as the $80 tier World Telecom in-game item that allows players to call characters from S1 & S2 for a phone conversation should be added to the Paypal site.

Since there was not a decisive opinion either way, they decided not to add these EXTRA rewards to the Paypal site, not wishing to piss of people who got in early for Kickstarter. To say that no one gets any rewards on Paypal backing is ludicrous.

I personally wish they had added these rewards and voted for it. Unfortunately they chose not to add them as on option.
Yeah.

N.A

Banned
I think asking paypal backers in the first place makes that clear point mostly moot. If they didn't have a poll at all and then announced that paypal backers wouldn't be getting the tier rewards wouldn't be an issue at all. That much to me is clear at least.

Only kickstarter backers were allowed to vote on the poll. Paypal backers have lost nothing, they simply won't be getting kickstarter exclusive items that they were never promised (hence the name "kickstarter exclusive")

Their reaction to the poll is shitty, but it is the kickstarter backers they haven't listened to. The paypal backers are still getting exactly what they paid for.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Unless I am reading the OP wrong, the paypal rewards are still in effect. The poll was about the kickstarter rewards which were never promised in the first place...

I wouldn't be showing it off now, I would be hiding it in shame.
If a friend saw it he might think I'm one of those 4009 dick heads who voted no.

When this game is released in a couple years, your friend won't remember that a vocal number of Kickstarter backers wanted this.

Armigr

And they could have backed during the campaign like I did.

Not necessarily. Maybe some people didn't have the money to back the Kickstarter while the campaign was running. Or maybe they simply don't have a credit card. There are plenty of reasons as to why one may not have been able to back while the campaign was it was live and they're not reasons to begrudge someone for.

This exclusionst, us-versus-them attitude doesn't align very well with the Shenmue spirit, in my opinion. :\

Bittercup

I picked the neutral choice. My thought was, if paypal backers want the rewards I don't mind if they get them and if there are any reasons against it (e.g. limited production or increased costs) I wouldn't be mad if they don't put extra effort in or if it's impossible to make the rewards available for them.
If I had known how the results are handled now I would have voted 'yes' instead.

Phamit

I don't get the conclusion they took from the poll , most people said thez don't care and more people said yes than no

There are a lot of users who had to, for one reason or another, wait for a Paypal option to become available.

There will always be some instance where you could say that someone living north of the arctic circle doesn't have access to Kickstarter, but in the internet age if you wanted to support the game so badly, there's always a way.

I have seen this pop up many times over the course of dozens of Kickstarter campaigns. Many potential donors were begging for a Paypal payment option before the campaign wrapped up, but as with many things in this campaign, it was mismanaged and barely paid any mind until the midnight hour.

Sometimes, the world isn't so black and white as you'd think.

And if you remember the Paypal option requests so vividly, then I'm sure you'll remember that it was brought up when the superfans were afraid that the campaign wouldn't get enough money to cover all the stretch goals and make the entire game Yu Suzuki imagined and they hoped a PayPal option would make that possible. It was not people saying Kickstarter wouldn't take their money, you're rewriting what happened to fit your argument.

pmj

Giving out the previously Kickstarter-exclusive rewards would be to break the promise to their backers that the rewards were, in fact, exclusive.

This was the correct decision.

Dineren

Banned
That sucks, especially regarding the ingame rewards. I backed at a level of the kickstarter that gets them, but I wish they hadn't locked any of that behind tiers. Cameos from past characters being unavailable to anyone that didn't back the kickstarter is lame. I missed this poll, but would have voted yes if I had seen it.

blazeuk

I voted yes but honestly didn't care either way. I don't particularly have a problem with those who voted no, if they want to remain in some sort of Kickstarter exclusive club then they paid their money and were promised such a thing. No-one who backed via paypal are getting anything taken off them, they're getting exactly what was described.

I don't get the conclusion they took from the poll , most people said thez don't care and more people said yes than no

They weren't looking for whether backers democratically voted for opening the rewards. They were looking for whether a large number of backers would be against opening rewards up that were promised to them exclusively. Turns out, there's a few thousand Kickstarter backers who wanted to withhold these options to be exclusive which bums me out.

Cmagus

There will always be some instance where you could say that someone living north of the arctic circle doesn't have access to Kickstarter, but in the internet age if you wanted to support the game so badly, there's always a way.

Not everyone has a credit card and Kickstarter doesn't support paypal.

Jabba

Banned

Must have been a lot of replies enforcing the no vote in spades, on the kickstarter website possibly.

I didn't vote. I was under the impression it was twitter only and wasn't opening a twitter account. Possibly should have done more research.

I didn't care one way or the other personally.

Btw I have no credit or debit card. Still the reality is, not everyone who doesn't, has someone as I do, willing to take a chance exposing their name/credit on their behalf. Should be understandable.

You could also file my backing under "where there's a will there's a way". It's all in how you see things.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
And if you remember the Paypal option requests so vividly, then I'm sure you'll remember that it was brought up when the superfans were afraid that the campaign wouldn't get enough money to cover all the stretch goals and make the entire game Yu Suzuki imagined and they hoped a PayPal option would make that possible. It was not people saying Kickstarter wouldn't take their money, you're rewriting what happened to fit your argument.

I'm not rewriting anything. Why would people beg for a Paypal option at all to 'save' the campaign if there weren't very specific reasons why backing via Amazon Payments/Kickstarter wasn't viable for many potential backers? Don't be so dense.

Hektor

Or maybe it was both. Unimaginable. Many people don't have cc's and can't use kickstarter. Accept that.

Kickstarter does not require a credit card. The card I have on the site is a debit card. I wouldn't be surprised if a prepaid debit card would work. And now that I'm thinking about it, I think I backed the C.H.I.P. project with a prepaid card.

Do they have a friend? I used to pay my landlord cash to get stuff for me back when I didn't have credit card.

I know you guys are saying we should keep things open for every possible instance under the sun up to and including extending the campaign for those waiting to return to earth from the International Space Station but when something explicitly says it's "EXCLUSIVE" then maybe things should be black & white.

caleb1915

Only kickstarter backers were allowed to vote on the poll. Paypal backers have lost nothing, they simply won't be getting kickstarter exclusive items that they were never promised (hence the name "kickstarter exclusive")

Their reaction to the poll is shitty, but it is the kickstarter backers they haven't listened to. The paypal backers are still getting exactly what they paid for.

Ah, my mistake, thanks for the correction. You make a better point.

Armigr

Kickstarter does not require a credit card. The card I have on the site is a debit card. I wouldn't be surprised if a prepaid debit card would work. And now that I'm thinking about it, I think I backed the C.H.I.P. project with a prepaid card.

Do they have a friend? I used to pay my landlord cash to get stuff for me back when I didn't have credit card.

I know you guys are saying we should keep things open for every possible instance under the sun up to and including extending the campaign for those waiting to return to earth from the International Space Station but when something explicitly says it's "EXCLUSIVE" then maybe things should be black & white.

All I can say is that I'm really sad to see people look at things this way.

There's no reason for PayPal backers to not get these rewards other than the selfishness of others.

Cmagus

Again not everyone has the option of using debit cards, not all of us live in the US. The only option we have here is credit card and nothing else.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Can the OP change the title of this thread to:

"Shenmue 3 Paypal campaign won't include the EXCLUSIVE Kickstarter rewards"

Okay? Thank you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Again not everyone has the option of using debit cards, not all of us live in the US. The only option we have here is credit card and nothing else.

idk man you should have a friend in the US pay for you and mail them the money. u snooze u lose.

ajim

TO CLARIFY:

All existing PayPal Slacker Backer rewards remain unaffected by the recent poll.

The poll was only to decide whether rewards that had been omitted (but previously available through Kickstarter) should be added to the line-up.

nothingchanged.png
Well there it is.

Maybe op should include this?

A credit card is not required.

Everyone, please look it up before posting this, it's not true.

From Kickstarter:
What forms of payment can I use to make a pledge?

You can use a debit or credit card associated with Visa, Discover, MasterCard, or American Express. Sorry, but we do not currently accept Maestro, or Visa Electron cards. If using a pre-paid credit card, please make sure that the card has a value of at least $1 more than your pledge amount.

I'm not rewriting anything. Why would people beg for a Paypal option at all to 'save' the campaign if there weren't very specific reasons why backing via Amazon Payments/Kickstarter wasn't viable for many potential backers? Don't be so dense.

If you followed the Kickstarter thread, this was talked about endlessly. In fact, some users here wanted to give a certain amount of money per month if they allowed a PayPal option. The PayPal option was not requested because Kickstarter wouldn't take someone's money.

Meneses

I voted yes because i'm fine with everyone getting everything, but I can also understand people who bought a specific tier that gave them an exclusive reward wanting to keep it an... exclusive reward.

Hektor

If you followed the Kickstarter thread, this was talked about endlessly. In fact, some users here wanted to give a certain amount of money per month if they allowed a PayPal option. The PayPal option was not requested because Kickstarter wouldn't take someone's money.

This is just straight up bullocks. This is not exclusive to each other.

ViciousDS

Banned

I refuse to use a debit card on the web. If the info gets jacked its much harder to have a bank chasing your money then it is gonna Be a credit card go after there own. Tons of paperwork to fill out at my bank when debit theft happens.

Rembrandt

Banned
Kickstarter is about funding a project that wouldn't happen otherwise. The rewards shouldn't be anyone's concern. If you got them, cool. If you missed out on them, then so be it. The only important thing is the fact that the game did get funded.

if it got funded, then what's the paypal for? why are they asking for more money?

A credit card is not required.

Everyone, please look it up before posting this, it's not true.

From Kickstarter:

I've backed a couple times now and plan on backing some more before the PayPal option is cut off.

That said, I don't see the harm in locking out exclusive rewards. People who back now are still backing long before the release of the game with little guarantee that something will be received. Don't let people get them when the game is close to or after release, fine, but now? What's the harm?

if it got funded, then what's the paypal for? why are they asking for more money?

To hire more people and implement more features. Since when is more money bad?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
C'mon! Some of the "exclusive" rewards are actual in-game content.

So at its most basic we have people in this very thread defending whats essentially retailer exclusive dlc (which of course will already be on the disc well before release, just arbitrarily locked to almost everybody who gets the game).

Seems even Shenmue can't escape the ugly side of modern gaming.

Dineren

Banned
C'mon! Some of the "exclusive" rewards are actual in-game content.

So at its most basic we have people in this very thread defending whats essentially retailer exclusive dlc (which of course will already be on the disc well before release, just arbitrarily locked to almost everybody who gets the game).

Seems even Shenmue can't escape the ugly side of modern gaming.

Yep, this annoys me quite a bit. Hopefully it's simple to unlock so anyone can see that content once it releases.

Rembrandt

Banned
To hire more people and implement more features. Since when is more money bad?

Then those people should have the same rewards as the ones that backed the kickstarter.

TO CLARIFY:

nothingchanged.png

although this makes me a lot less angry since I was under the impression that the paypal backers got nothing, those these suck compared to the kickstarter ones.

Top Bottom