• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Paypal backers won't get Kickstarter rewards

So that means they'll offer refunds to paypal backers I imagine. I mean it's only fair since they promised them the rewards too.

Why should they offer refunds? None of the paypal options available have been for things that are considered Kickstarter exclusives. This poll was about whether to open up Kickstarter exclusives to paypal backers. At this point, everyone who has paid into the PayPal slacker backer campaign will get exactly the reward they paid for.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't understand any of this. Maybe I'm just tired. Can someone explain this to me? What is a "paypal backer"?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't understand the logic in showing the poll results, which clearly show the votes skewed ever so slightly in the other direction, knowing full well that people can read and will easily take notice of the backwards thinking involved.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How much is your money worth?
Jordan-Belfort-Throws-Out-Money-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

What a shit thing to have a poll for to begin with, then decide against it when majority said yes or dont care, especially since it was promised? Hah

I'm sure they revealed these results and went with this decision. I mean why not just say that a significant amount say they didn't want them for slacker backers without specific results.

Also could anything even find out if they fudged the numbers?

This is so strange.

So don't promise the rewards and then have a poll where the end result is that they should get the rewards and then go against it and not offer the rewards.

This is a very incompetent Kickstarter and we all know this from the get-go. I'm just looking forward to the game as the developers are hopefully more competent.

Wow. I had no clue there ever was a poll. I have been keeping up with Kickstarter updates, but not the Shenmue 3 threads here.

I'm happy with their choice because of this:
Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

I know some people will see that as a dick move, but I know I backed the PS4 physical copy at full price now instead of buying at retail knowing it'll come in an exclusive case that's only for Kickstarter backers. I'd like to include it in my PS4 collection and be able to show of that I was part of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign. If it became available elsewhere, it would lose its meaning to me. I know it's trivial but it is the reason I took the risk and backed the Kickstarter rather than waiting for retail.

Arttemis

So don't promise the rewards and then have a poll where the end result is that they should get the rewards and then go against it and not offer the rewards.

I didn't realize they promised the paypal backers rewards. Surely, this poll is meant for all backers who back AFTER the decision is made, and those who did it in time via paypal will still receive what was promised to them - correct?

What was the purpose of the poll then?

I'm guessing the purpose was to determine whether a large number of Kickstarter backers would be upset if the rewards listed as Kickstarter exclusives would be opened up to future backers who weren't a part of the initial campaign. Unfortunately, a few thousand backers are short-sighted and didn't see the potential increase in funding that allowing more people to have messages in a guest book, capsule toy renders, etc would give and they decided that they didn't want to anger that many people.

I don't understand any of this. Maybe I'm just tired. Can someone explain this to me? What is a "paypal backer"?

A paypal backer is someone who backs the slacker backer campaign on their website rather than participating in the initially kickstarter campaign.

Armigr

Wow. I had no clue there ever was a poll. I have been keeping up with Kickstarter updates, but not the Shenmue 3 threads here.

I know some people will see that as a dick move, but I know I backed the PS4 physical copy at full price now instead of buying at retail knowing it'll come in an exclusive case that's only for Kickstarter backers. I'd like to include it in my PS4 collection and be able to show of that I was part of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign. If it became available elsewhere, it would lose its meaning to me. I know it's trivial but it is the reason I took the risk and backed the Kickstarter rather than waiting for retail.

The game isn't out yet. Slacker backers are facing the risk just as much as you are.

caleb1915

Wow, it's like they asked us where we wanted to go eat for dinner, we said anywhere's fine I'm not that hungry, and then they took our credit card to go eat with some other people instead.

Or maybe I am kinda hungry.

I foresee a lot of paypal refunds being placed and their account getting fucked over. This is a genius plan to torpedo their project.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Let's have a poll on whether or not a subset of backers get rewards and then totally ignore the poll anyway!

TimmiT

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

Welp, misread that at first. Still weird that they're not doing it because of the minority giving a strong response though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Whats worse than them going back on their word, is the people who is that selfish and defend this.

Its just a method for other to pay if they had no option in the first place, and they take just as much of a risk as every other backer.

I did not back it, nor will I ever.

To be absolutely clear, paypal backers were never promised the kickstarter exclusive rewards. The tiers they backed never included them and it was always clear that they didn't.

It's is disappointing that potentially more people won't be backing this without these rewards though.

"Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised."

Wut?

N.A

Banned
To be absolutely clear, paypal backers were never promised the kickstarter exclusive rewards. The tiers they backed never included them and it was always clear that they didn't.

It's is disappointing that potentially more people won't be backing this without these rewards though.

Really shitty. I'm a backer but I didn't vote as I haven't been following it, but I'd have voted yes.

But there never should have been a vote in the first place.

Also, as others have said, those results surely suggest that that the answer is yes because C is a non-vote...

The game isn't out yet. Slacker backers are facing the risk just as much as you are.

And they could have backed during the campaign like I did.

What if they open another round of slacker backer reservations a year from now with the same KS exclusive rewards? Or the week before the game launches with the same KS rewards? The rewards were exclusive because they were part of the Kickstarter campaign. I (and I'm sure others) were under the impression that when a reward is stated to be "Kickstarter exclusive" that's because when the campaign ends, there's no way to get that ever again. You have to be a part of the Kickstarter campaign.

Wagram

Shouldn't it be about trying to obtain as much funding as possible to try and help build the budget for the game? Everyone who voted no should be ashamed as elitists dicks. "Wahh they weren't here first like I was." How about, you know, focusing on funding to make the game instead of being an elitist asshat.

MrDaravon

This entire campaign has been run super fucking weird from day one. Even if paypal/late backers haven't yet had the option to back in at KS-exclusive tiers I don't see why they wouldn't have just gone ahead and said that they've decided not to open those tiers to late backers instead of going through this whole song and dance. I can only guess that they figured the voters were going to vote negative as a majority which would have given them an "out", but that would have just looked bad anyway. Instead the majority voted yes or didn't give a shit, but they went with not offering those tiers anyway and now look probably even worse.

So fucking weird.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
TO CLARIFY:

All existing PayPal Slacker Backer rewards remain unaffected by the recent poll.

The poll was only to decide whether rewards that had been omitted (but previously available through Kickstarter) should be added to the line-up.

nothingchanged.png

PaulLFC

When I got the email I was left wondering what the point of them running this poll actually was. Let's look at the results:

Yes vs No - Yes wins
Yes + Either vs No + Either - Yes + Either wins
Final decision - No

So they've basically completely disregarded the vote anyway.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow that's super lame. I voted in favor of letting everyone have access to everything cause locked content is dumb. I won't even be getting the phone card or w/e cause it was outta my price range but no reason people that could pay for it, during the first campaign or this latter one shouldn't. -_-

Wow, it's like they asked us where we wanted to go eat for dinner, we said anywhere's fine I'm not that hungry, and then they took our credit card to go eat with some other people instead.

Or maybe I am kinda hungry.

I think you're just hungry. Essentially what's going on is they had about 13 rewards that were on the Kickstarter campaign but not on the current PayPal version. This poll was to determine whether there was a large number Kickstarter backers who would be upset if those options were made available to paypal backers but still limited to people who funded development rather than buy it after release. It turns out, a significant number of Shenmue fans who backed the Kickstarter are shortsighted and selfish and didn't see why it would be helpful to open those options to other backers.

PayPal backers still get whatever they paid for. None of the paypal options offered anything that is being taken from them now.

I wouldn't be showing it off now, I would be hiding it in shame.
If a friend saw it he might think I'm one of those 4009 dick heads who voted no.

This is rather misleading. Paypal backers can still get most of the rewards that were offered to Kickstarter backers on the Slacker Backer page. This poll was to see if certain rewards that were advertised as "Kickstarter Exclusive", such as the $80 tier World Telecom in-game item that allows players to call characters from S1 & S2 for a phone conversation should be added to the Paypal site.

Since there was not a decisive opinion either way, they decided not to add these EXTRA rewards to the Paypal site, not wishing to piss of people who got in early for Kickstarter. To say that no one gets any rewards on Paypal backing is ludicrous.

I personally wish they had added these rewards and voted for it. Unfortunately they chose not to add them as on option.

caleb1915

I think asking paypal backers in the first place makes that clear point mostly moot. If they didn't have a poll at all and then announced that paypal backers wouldn't be getting the tier rewards wouldn't be an issue at all. That much to me is clear at least.

Top Bottom