• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angie Tribeca |OT| Police Squad! With Rashida Jones And A German Shepherd - Mondays

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

angie-1dqsc3.png

obin_gam

The narrator ruined the trailer. Here's hoping that voice isn't in the show.

Also, please don't make the dog talk.

Dereck

Watching for Rashida, hopefully staying because the show is good.

Crossing my fingers.

Nothing that I have seen so far is convincing me.

vypek

What an interesting airing schedule. Gonna give it a shot and see what I think. It was given a season 2 already, right? Or maybe I am thinking of something else

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The trailer gives me the vibe that they know all of this is funny, which is deadly poison to something like this.

The genius of Police Squad was Leslie Nielsen. He never once thought for a second he was above the material. He gave as straight as a performance as possible.

I dunno if anyone could do it was good as he did.

TheOddOne

- SF: ‘Angie Tribeca’ is hilarious, end of story *Spoilers*
“Angie Tribeca” hits on every cylinder — sharp writing, consistent attention to detail (the visual jokes are just as funny as the spoken ones), terrific performances by Jones, MacArthur and Burns, as well as the secondary cast and guest stars, and great direction, including Steve Carell for the pilot episode.

Normally, the danger of this kind of comedy is that it could get old very quickly, but that’s not the case with “Angie Tribeca”: Ten episodes are not only proof enough that the show has staying power — they leave you wanting more. And the good news is that you won’t have to wait too long. The second season will begin airing weekly episodes on Jan. 25. Let the screaming continue.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was getting "this is gonna suck!" vibes from it due to how vigorously TBS was promoting it, I thought the commercials with Steve Carrel promoting it bordered on parody itself due to how he pointed out all the obvious gags like the dog and said "we've taking a piss out of procedurals!". Pointing out how you're doing a parody usually isn't a good sign.

But it might be good, so who knows. I watch TBS daily as my white noise channel of choice so I'm sure to catch some of this though so hope it's mildly entertaining.

SaintR

As someone who grew up in the glory days of spoof films and shows (Airplaine, Hot Shots, Naked Gun, and the OG Kentucky Fried Movie) I used to love this type of stuff. Unfortunately I don't know if it's just that there isn't a market for spoofs, or if just my humor has matured and I don't find this funny anymore.

I'm not trying to be like a comedy snob but does anyone else feel that way about this? For example I LOVED Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt but roll my eyes every time I see a trailer for a new "Scary Movie".

eXistor

Probably my favorite kind of humor, but it's so rare that it's done well. In recent years the only thing that was even remotely watchable is A Touch of Cloth (a 3 series British Police Squad basically, it's pretty decent) and even that didn't come close to the classics like the aforementioned Airplane! and such.

I'll give it a shot though, here's hoping someday people actually get what spoofs are supposed to be and we can be done with tripe like Scary Movie, Epic Movie and all that horseshit.

Probably my favorite kind of humor, but it's so rare that it's done well. In recent years the only thing that was even remotely watchable is A Touch of Cloth (a 3 series British Police Squad basically, it's pretty decent) and even that didn't come close to the classics like the aforementioned Airplane! and such.

I'll give it a shot though, here's hoping someday people actually get what spoofs are supposed to be and we can be done with tripe like Scary Movie, Epic Movie and all that horseshit.

Normally I'd skip these shows but the I like Rashida Jones so I may give it a shot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh Deon Cole is in this too? He cracks me up on Blackish

TheOddOne

- Vulture: Rashida Jones on How Angie Tribeca Is Bringing Back the Silly-Serious Comedy.
Why did you want to work on this show?

Steve and Nancy sent me the script, and it was honestly just so damn funny that I didn’t feel like I had an option. I was thinking about taking some time off to just focus on writing. And I read it and my first thought was, Oh no! Way too funny! I can’t not do the show. It’s a good problem to have. I hadn’t seen this kind of comedy for a long time, and I absolutely adore the Zucker Brother movies — Airplane!, Naked Gun. Airplane! is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think it’s the most perfectly executed movie. That’s my favorite [type of] comedy: a combination of very silly and serious. And I have always wanted to try to do that, so here’s my chance.
Your “Flip and Rewind” video was so much fun.

Oh my God, my dream come true. The other day I was walking down the street, and a girl leaned out of her car and yelled, “I love your ’90s video!’” And I thought, That’s it, that was exactly why I did it — so that people could feel like they could spontaneously scream at me on the street. So awesome.

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall: Review: Surely you'll enjoy the 'Airplane'-esque silliness of 'Angie Tribeca'.
It's not perfect, but it made me laugh a lot and smile even more. In the run-up to TCA, I was given screeners for approximately 8,000 hours of television (give or take), and had to be very judicious about how much time I devoted to any one show. But I would watch a couple of "Angie"s, feel happy, then shift to a more highbrow show that wasn't coming close to hitting its target, and then quickly jump back to another "Angie." Other series seemingly needed my attention more, but "Angie" was entertaining me so much that I wound up watching all 10, even though I could have written this exact review after the pilot.

Surely there's more room on television for something this silly and fun.

And, yes, I'll stop calling you Shirley.
- A|V Club: Angie Tribeca walks the thin blue line between stupid and clever.
Angie Tribeca isn’t going to receive any special commendations for originality. This type of comedy has been done in this setting before, so updating the technology or building a blue-tinted lab for Vermeulen and recurring player Alfred Molina is the least the Carells and crew could do. But the hits-to-miss ratio is weighted in Angie Tribeca’s favor, thanks in large part to the cast’s go-for-broke energy and a roster of guests—including
Bill Murray, Keegan-Michael Key, and Kerri Kenney-Silver
—tuned into the show’s looney wavelength

TheOddOne

- Vulture review: Angie Tribeca and the Subjectivity of Humor.
A bunch of talented people got together and made a credible TV knockoff of The Naked Gun. It's itself, and it's an abundantly silly, if very lightweight, show. There are people who love this kind of humor; I am the child of one such person, and certainly count others among my loved ones. But so much of watching Angie felt like watching the most popular show from another country, one where the only jokes come from puns and sight gags, and spilling something is considered high humor. And I just don't have the same customs and contexts.

nasax

I've been bombarded so many times by the promos of this show when I watch TNT and TBS, that I seriously hate this show already.

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Angie Tribeca': TV Review.
While I liked Angie Tribeca and can see myself watching many of the episodes, especially when the mood strikes for absolute goofiness, more straightforward shows like the new Teachers on TV Land or, say, Review on Comedy Central are more my thing, mostly because you don’t have to be in the mood to watch them. But comedy is subjective and Angie Tribeca puts the exclamation point on that notion. You’ll know whether you’re in or out pretty quickly on Sunday.

I've seen trailers and stuff for this show, it looks fun plus Rashida Jones is awesome but I dunno if it'll ever get picked up in the UK :( .

Dereck

This show is like a Funny Or Die or CollegeHumor skit drawn out to 20 minutes long.

I wouldn't call it bad or anything, the word I would use so far is pointless. The show is so non-serious that it's hard to pay attention while it tries to squeeze in as many gags into a each minute as it can.

It needs to slow down, there are so many absurd jokes squeezed in that I'm thinking too hard about what I want to laugh about or what I should be laughing about.

DiscoJer

I think I'd almost rather have commercial breaks than a talk show in between episodes. But then I hate talk shows.

Anyway, I found it funny. Definitely more Scary Movie than Police Squad/Airplane! but I found those movies somewhat funny. Just overdone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom