• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angie Tribeca |OT| Police Squad! With Rashida Jones And A German Shepherd - Mondays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloane

Banned
After watching the first four episodes or so, I like it! It's not quite as good as Police Squad but at least at times it comes pretty close, the cast is very likable, and, well, there really hasn't been anything else like this on TV for years. Definitely recommended.

Chris R

Still think the first episode gave me the most laughs now that I'm done with the entire first season.

I thought season 2 started on Monday, but my TV guide says Pilot S1E1?

Trouble

Banned
Worked through my urgent TV backlog, so I decided to start watching this. I got the Police Squad vibe immediately. I had not noticed the title of this OT before I started watching.

Chris R

Looks like it's not happening anymore. They are airing the pilot again today.

I'm confused.

I have the episode recording just in case it's the new one. I read that it was on at 8:30 but my guide just shows a Family Guy episode...

edit: TBS called the episode "All New", it wasn't.

sarcastor

this whole bit reminded me of airplane so much. I literally LOLed

bzstYh2.jpg

SaintR

This show has legit cracked me up a bunch of times. None more than this one time the Lt keeps yelling and yelling and yelling at the main cops to stop arguing. I had to rewarch that scene so many times lol.

Anyone who watches this on TBS online notice the episode descriptions keep saying the Lt. is sick and possibly diagnosed with meningitis? Lol. This show is so stupid it's great.

Santiako

Watched the whole thing these last couple of days, really great show and hilarious from start to end.

Alfred Molina's shtick was never not funny.

SeanC

Bumping this because I just started watching.

Love it.

It's basically a new Police Squad and it's fantastic. More people need to watch this show. So many great guest stars too.

2 eps in and I love it. Definitely will keep binge-watching this.

Naked Gun and Airplane are two of my favorite movies ever, and this fits right in.

KevinCow

Banned
I randomly stumbled across this show while browsing the internet and decided to check it out on Hulu.

On episode 5 now, and this shit is fucking hilarious, oh my god. I haven't laughed this much at a comedy in a long time. I mean I've loved Brooklyn 9-9, Parks & Rec, Community, and others in recent years, but those all have far more down time and character and plot development between jokes. This show's just rapidfire jokes and gags. It doesn't give two shits about character or plot development, unless it's in service to a joke. And I find that hilariously refreshing. I was just complaining the other day about the lack of great spoof movies like Airplane and Naked Gun in recent years, how the whole genre got hijacked by garbage like Date Movie and then slowly died, so I'm happy to see someone finally bring back that kind of humor.

I love the recurring gags. The cop who screams during the title sequence because he's holding a pot of hot coffee with his bare hands or jammed his finger in a drawer. The cop who barfs at every crime scene. Alfred Molina and his fake disabilities that nobody ever acknowledges. The completely random cameos. It's absolute nonsense and I love it.

I wish this show was getting more attention. It's sad to see that its GAF thread is only on page 2, and half of the first page is people deliberating whether they should watch it or not.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I imagine this show is much better as a binge watch, but it's been airing on E4 every week here in the UK and I love it so much. It completely subverts everything you expect and sticks to a joke every minute. So much fun and Rashida Jones pulls off the deadpan brilliantly.

I'm worried about what I saw in the Season 2 trailer. The gross out gags look tacky to me. I hope they keep the Police Squad feel.

TheOddOne

Two back-to-back episode season 2 premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "Fleas Don't Kill Me"

A man is found dead in a dog park, but Lt. Atkins doesn't think Tribeca is ready for the case because she hates dogs and she's just risen from a year-long coma.

Season 2: episode 2 "Miso Dead"

A missing sushi chef is fished out of the ocean. Meanwhile, a love triangle stirs up tension.
- Promo for the season premiere.

I love this show so much. It's like the Green Wing/Zucker bros of cop shows. Showed it to my uncles a couple days ago, they thought it would be lame compared to Brooklyn 99. Then they laughed their asses off so much just from the first episode.

Aiii

So not worth it
God this show is soooo good.

It's a shame there's technically not much substance to it so there's not a lot to discuss and it's so hard to sell to other people.

I've been watching season 1 on Hulu. I think I'm up to episode 7 or so. It's a show that I want to like more than I do. I'm a big fan of the Zucker Brothers / Airplane / Naked Gun-style humor, but I'm not sure how I feel about the execution of a lot of it in Angie Tribeca.

I know that while a lot of this style of humor is rooted in making certain things literal or mining humor through anti-subtlety, I feel like a lot of the jokes are a bit too predictable. Too much of the humor seems like it could have been derived from taking a normal cop script and then having someone comb through the script, isolating the colloquialisms, and saying "Hey, when Angie asks if there's other girls in the picture, why don't we have an actual picture with other girls in it?"

I appreciate the charm of it. And I think I'm mostly still watching it because 1) I like Rashida Jones so much, 2) I'm happy that there's at least a show trying to utilize this style of comedy and 3) Every so often a joke lands for me. But honestly it just makes me want to re-watch A Touch of Cloth, which I felt satirized cop dramas much more effectively with gags that felt more creative. The only joke that fell flat for me in a touch of cloth was the repetition of the "Old Man" joke, but I feel like every episode in Angie Tribeca there are a few jokes that just go on way too long. It's like, "I get it."

But, I've heard great things about Angie Tribeca season 2, so I think i'll at least work my way to season 2 before I decide whether to stop watching or not.

Dereck

This show is stupid. I like the cast but I don't think this show is funny at all. I'm the guy trying his very hardest to not be a party pooper so I've kind of just not said anything about it until now. It's like the show is trying to see how many literal visual puns it can fit in 22 minutes and in every episode it tries to outdo itself.

"See? We literally meant this here's a literal pun or gag that coincides with something someone just said or whatever." I don't think it's funny but here's some dumb stuff that I thought was neat from the first episode.

WQNjGFb.gif

qQFJsXp.gif

The good thing that I have to say for this show is that it's creative in how many jokes it has going, sometimes it's hard to keep up which is what I guess is my reason for watching it.

This show is stupid. I like the cast but I don't think this show is funny at all. I'm the guy trying his very hardest to not be a party pooper so I've kind of just not said anything about it until now. It's like the show is trying to see how many literal visual puns it can fit in 22 minutes and in every episode it tries to outdo itself.

"See? We literally meant this here's a literal pun or gag that coincides with something someone just said or whatever." I don't think it's funny but here's some dumb stuff that I thought was neat from the first episode.

The good thing that I have to say for this show is that it's creative in how many jokes it has going, sometimes it's hard to keep up which is what I guess is my reason for watching it.

I was randomly trying to think about why the show hasn't clicked with me, and I think it's totally because so many of the jokes are one note. At times it feels like someone who only has a cursory understanding of why so many of the jokes in films like Airplane or Naked Gun worked is writing Angie Tribeca.

One of my favorite jokes in Airplane is when the passenger asks a stewardess for "light reading material" and is given a paper-thin pamphlet detailing Jewish NBA basketball players. It's a hilarious, self-deprecating observation about the sport. I feel like if this same setup was done in Angie Tribeca, the stewardess would have just handed her a magazine about table lamps (see? She asked for "light reading material," so we gave her reading material about "lights!")

Good slapstick jokes take effort! Not all of Airplane's jokes escape this laziness on a certain level - the "Okay, let's pour some lights on the runway" / cut to a bunch of lamps being dumped on the runway gag is an example of this - but so many of its jokes aren't reduced to that. Those types of jokes don't dominate the film. The, "I speak jive," colonel looking like he's observing himself in a mirror only to walk out of it, the bar fight with the two girl scouts, the blowjob gag with the inflatable pilot, etc are all jokes that don't fall back on the "Person A says a phrase only to have Person B make that phrase literal" style of humor.

The best joke I've seen so far in the series is a throwaway shot of Hoffman in the background of a locker room shot with a towel draped over his back. And the joke works because it doesn't put on a spotlight on itself and because it's inherently funny to see a dog dressing like one of the guys. The chase scene that happens in that same episode (I think) where the partner is doing all sorts of ineffective parkour and gymnastic routines while chasing the subject was already done better in A Touch of Cloth because 1) the joke didn't go on for as long and 2) they didn't almost immediately skip past the setup so they could languish in the punchline for a whole minute.

I wish this show all the best. If nothing else, maybe it'll prompt better TV shows or films in the vein of Police Squad / Touch of Cloth to come out. But damn, am I kinda disappointed with it.

only caught the first 4 episodes of Season 2 (will watch episode 5 later). still find the show very funny. will miss the screaming cop at the beginning of each episode though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom