• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDouble is the cheapest and most nutritious food in human history

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

According to this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...nd-most-nutritious-food-in-human-history.html

Stephen Dubner, who co-authored the best-selling book, hosted a debate on his blog after a reader suggested the McDouble packed a better nutritional punch for the penny than is often assumed.

The double cheeseburger provides 390 calories, 23 grams of protein – half a daily serving – seven per cent of daily fibre, 19 grams of fat and 20 per cent of daily calcium, all for between $1 and $2, or 65p and £1.30, The Times reported

“For the average poor person, it isn’t a great option to take a trip to the farmers market to puzzle over esoteric lefty-foodie codes”, Mr Smith wrote.

“Facts are facts – where else but McDonald’s can poor people obtain so many calories per dollar?”

I just ate two of them after working out. He has a point, the macros aren't bad, the price is right and they don't taste like total garbage.

So I say, McDoubles for all! My new favorite post workout meal.

Tenebrous

Many experts say, assuming you don't have blood pressure issues, don't sweat sodium too much.

Does lower blood pressure (90 over 50 [whatever that means]) mean I should watch my salt intake more, or is that only for folks with high blood pressure? I eat salt like a snail.

entremet

I usually get McDonald's every 2 weeks as a cheat meal.

My favorite a la carte combo is Two McDoubles with Big Mac Sauce, Water and 6 piece nuggets with ranch.

It's very filling and cheap.

McDonald's is not my favorite burger. Far from it, but the price is pretty good. I'm more of a fancy burger type of guy--Five Guys, Shack Shack, Five Napkin.

entremet

Sodium content?

Trans fat content?

Enjoy kidney stones and heart disease.

I think McDonald's banned trans fats already. They were pretty proactive about getting ready for it after NYC issued a ban.

Meat does that have naturally occurring trans fats, but they aren't as concentrated.

daviyoung

Banned
one sandwich that contains 1/3 of your recommended allowance of fat, 1/5 of sugar, and 1/3 of salt

sounds fucking great!

the only thing about it is the 22g of protein that you can get from a protein bar, but this article is actually more about class, capitalism and poverty than it is about the nutritional value of a McDonald's burger

The Wall

Banned
Does lower blood pressure (90 over 50 [whatever that means]) mean I should watch my salt intake more, or is that only for folks with high blood pressure? I eat salt like a snail.

Everyone should probably be aware of how much they intake, but those with high blood pressure are more traditionally at risk when it comes to sodium.

True story, a friend and I took a backpack full of McDoubles and two large bottles of water on a vigorous 10 mile hike once. His idea. About the best thing I can say about the experience is we survived.

It really is amazing how cheap they are on a calorie/dollar basis. People be like "it's cheaper to eat healthy food from a grocery store than to eat out!" but it's really not clear that that's true. 2 McDoubles for $2 is a huge number of calories for the price. Only someone who is an incredibly frugal grocery shopper and mostly eats rice and beans is gonna compete with that.

SeanR1221

Y'all can get the McChicken and a McDouble and create a McGangbang.

I had one of those a few weeks back

B1VWTmyh.jpg

entremet

In human history ? What ?

If you're looking at the macronutrients profile, calories and price per calorie. It does makes sense.

But it's thrift is heavily subsidized.

Historically, protein has not been cheap. Both in price and production.

SURGEdude

I think McDonald's banned trans fats already. They were pretty proactive about getting ready for it after NYC issued a ban.

Meat does that have naturally occurring trans fats, but they aren't as concentrated.

Not banned but greatly reduced

Do your products contain trans fat?

Yes, some of our products do contain trans fats. Some of those trans fats occur naturally in foods like beef and chicken. Some of those trans fats are artificial and in recent years, we've worked to reduce artificial trans fats in many of our menu items.

For example, we switched to a cooking oil in our restaurants that reduced artificial trans fat in most of our fried menu items — many now have zero grams trans fat per labeled serving. We also reduced the amount of artificial trans fats in our bakery menu items through a few recipe adjustments.

Fuchsdh

He's got a point, in that fast food has some pretty dense nutrition. The flip side is a lot of it is also "empty" calories, especially when it comes to how much soda drinking contributes to the average American's excess calories.

The other point that they make further in the article is also relevant—that it's always going to be cheaper to feed yourself, assuming you aren't some organic or gluten-free nut.

But Tom Philpott, a campaigning organic farmer from North Carolina, said there were many more nutritious ways of feeding people cheaply.
“You can get a pound of organic brown rice and a pound of red lentils for about £1.30 each”, Mr Philpott said.

Or you just get regular brown rice and a big can of beans for less than a buck where I live.

But this gets into the issue of the poor being more likely to be uneducated and time-starved, which when combines leads to some pretty obvious eventualities.

EDIT: Also, the other side of the equation is the supply side—how McD's low prices are subsidized in direct and indirect ways while they pay their workers low wages and benefit from the wacked agricultural subsidy landscape.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm pretty sure most people in first world countries aren't looking for "calorie per dollar" anymore because they aren't literally starving to death.

rtcn63

I'd love to load up on McDoubles, but right now it's tuna sandwiches + cottage cheese due to costs. (A tub of cottage cheese is like $1.50 and has ~40 grams of protein)

Kibbles

McDoubles are awesome and so much better than the tiny ass burgers that come with BK and Wendy's 4/5 for $4 meals.

with the downward spiral mcdonalds been going through i feel like they got a McDonald stan to write this article just to get more people to buy the food but who am i kidding. i grew up eating McDonalds and i turned out terribly awesome.

“For the average poor person, it isn’t a great option to take a trip to the farmers market to puzzle over esoteric lefty-foodie codes”, Mr Smith wrote.

“Facts are facts – where else but McDonald’s can poor people obtain so many calories per dollar?”

Why do Farmer's Markets have a political leaning now? Fresh food is better for everyone.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yes. Cheap food is full of macros. This is why obesity is greater amongst the poor than any other group. Cheap food is unhealthy food.

jmdajr

Or you just get regular brown rice and a big can of beans for less than a buck where I live.

But this gets into the issue of the poor being more likely to be uneducated and time-starved, which when combines leads to some pretty obvious eventualities.

I would say as an individual, fast food could potentially be cheaper. But when you have a family it's not.

As long as you are not going to whole foods you can make it work. Since I started to bring cooked meals to my office the amount of money I have left at the end of the month is pretty damn surprising. Fast food, and simply going out to eat..will break you.

jmdajr

I'm pretty sure most people in first world countries aren't looking for "calorie per dollar" anymore because they aren't literally starving to death.

Did you know there are more fat people now in the world, than those starving?

That's how big junk food has become. It's..amazing.

Anyhow.. A Calorie is Not A Calorie. The quality of that is all trash.

The 2 for $2 menu at McD's is amazing. If you get 2 McDoubles, that's 100% of your daily protein intake for $2.

I usually get 2 McDoubles
- ketchup
- mustard
+ mac sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom