• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The Evolution of a Franchise

Ōkami

GIF HEAVY THREAD DON'T BROWSE IF YOU VALUE YOUR DATA PLAN
Get a behind the scenes look at how Naughty Dog and the Uncharted series have evolved since Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, including the influence of The Last of Us on the team and their development process.

Several years after his last adventure, retired fortune hunter Nathan Drake is forced back into the world of thieves. With the stakes much more personal, Drake embarks on a globe-trotting journey in pursuit of a historical conspiracy behind a fabled pirate treasure. His greatest adventure will test his physical limits, his resolve, and ultimately what he’s willing to sacrifice to save the ones he loves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGihxo9afQQ

BroBot

8 minutes long??? I'm bracing myself. Should be good.

Just finished watching it. Man that was amazing. Not too spoilery either if you've seen previous Uncharted 4 trailers and played UC 1-3, TLOU. It makes me glad that they've pushed the game to May.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
25011700114_33631a792f_o.jpg

2016-03-0917_04_38-th4ps23.png

Wish they had stuck to the documentary format of Grounded: The making of The Last of Us, instead of these videos. I loved the behind the scenes stuff they did for UC2 too but I doubt any that stuff will be included for UC4 due to disc size constraints :eek:

Wish they had stuck to the documentary format of Grounded: The making of The Last of Us, instead of these videos. I loved the behind the scenes stuff they did for UC2 too but I doubt any that stuff will be included for UC4 due to disc size constraints :eek:

Disc size may not be an issue since the cutscenes are all done in real-time now. That took up a large chunk of disc space on the PS3,

zsynqx

Exactly what I wanted to hear, especially with TLOU influnces. Love the part where he interacts with the *lemur :)

I hope this is not the oinly behind the scenes were getting.

I want some huge DVD stuff

Seems like there will definitely be a more pronounced BTS for U4, and they did "segments" pre-release in the past for Grounded as well.

Ricky_R

Holy shit at the animation on Drake's face in that short clip in the beginning where he's in the cave grabbing his face. :D

Can somebody gif it, please?

zsynqx

You can really tell when they are showing the old builds against the new ones. Such a massive improvement.

Did chuckle when they glossed over Uncharted 3.

Revven

How bad are the spoilers?

Not many here, just a few 3-5 sec clips of out-of-context stuff. Most of it is definitely them talking over UC1, UC2, and UC3 clips with of course clips of the people talking inter-mixed. A few UC4 clips but again it's out of context and barely means anything or spoils anything of the game. That may change in later episodes but this one is safe to watch if you're on media blackout.

Pedersen

Man naughty dog got some good looking people working there!
Anyways, look so so great, and the lemur just made the wait unbearable:((

I'm gonna miss Uncharted :-(

Yeah, some other developer will probably work on it but it still feels like an end of an era.

Gurish

Am I the only one that feels that the current team (mostly from U2 and TLOU) is not too proud or satisfied by U3? they just dropped one line and moved on when they talked about it.

I always had a feeling that ND is pretty conflicted about it, I remember some comments when they decided to delay U4 in the spirit of that they want to avoid some of the mistake of the previous game, give a proper story and ending etc, I have a feeling that Neil and Bruce don't really like how U3 turned out.

Ricky_R

ND seems to be the kind of developer that, when it comes to attention to detail in general, the answer would be "why not" instead of "why".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There was also a lemur in the jungle multiplayer map from the last beta. Before anyone asks it looks to be invincible as I tried shooting it to see if there was a reaction.

jwk94

Am I the only one that feels that the current team (mostly from U2 and TLOU) is not too proud or satisfied by U3? they just dropped one line and moved on when they talked about it.

I always had a feeling that ND is pretty conflicted about it, I remember some comments when they decided to delay U4 in the spirit of that they want to avoid some of the mistake of the previous game, give a proper story and ending etc, I have a feeling that Neil and Bruce don't really like how U3 turned out.

Coming from Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 was a letdown so I'm not surprised.

Keep in mind that Neil and Bruce didn't work on that game, that was Amy Hennig's project while they worked on TLOU.

A not-insignificant portion of UC3's leadership is no longer at the studio. That contributes.

Neil/Bruce were not involved with UC3 at all.
The core leadership of UC3, Amy & Justin has left.
Even the lead game designers of UC3, Minkoff and Lemarchand are no longer at ND.

It's really not for the current team to talk too much about something they never worked on significantly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hearing Bruce Straley at the end, just oozing with passion for what they do, is one of the reasons ND does what it does.

Top Bottom