• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The Evolution of a Franchise

Looking damn good ! But my one question untill the game drops is where's mah girl Chloe at? I imagine they're saving her as a surprise for some reason or that she just has very small screen time like on a phone call or something between her and Nate trying to get him to stop. Chloe just has to be in the final game's story even if it's just for a small period of time.

Did anyone else get a little emotional watching that? This being the last Uncharted
by ND
is going to be little harder to swallow than I thought.

prag16

Banned
Animations in this game may be a meaningful leap for the industry. The multiplayer betas have already been amazing on that front, and the single player stuff will presumably be even better, and the real time cutscenes even better than that. Across the board, animations in gameplay and narrative scenes seem like they could be a new benchmark.

Honestly, the multiplayer beta this past weekend was sort of unimpressive visually imo. Maybe I spoiled myself by playing Battlefront on PC beforehand. But it seems like a HUGE drop from the single player stuff they've been showing. The sacrifices made for 60fps I guess. If you're talking STRICTLY about the animations, then yeah they were pretty good, but I wouldn't say a generation ahead of everybody else or anything.

Nevertheless, multiplayer wasn't going to be my focus with this game regardless (I don't even maintain a plus sub). Everything else has looked great. The wait will feel long. Luckily I have Tomb Raider and soon Quantum Break on PC to bridge the gap.

-griffy-

Banned
Honestly, the multiplayer beta this past weekend was sort of unimpressive visually imo. Maybe I spoiled myself by playing Battlefront on PC beforehand. But it seems like a HUGE drop from the single player stuff they've been showing. The sacrifices made for 60fps I guess. If you're talking STRICTLY about the animations, then yeah they were pretty good, but I wouldn't say a generation ahead of everybody else or anything.

Nevertheless, multiplayer wasn't going to be my focus with this game regardless (I don't even maintain a plus sub). Everything else has looked great. The wait will feel long. Luckily I have Tomb Raider and soon Quantum Break on PC to bridge the gap.

I'm talking solely about animations in my post.

ahoQhfx.gif

Are you KIDDING me with those graphics.

The animation is fucking nuts too.

viHuGi

Banned

It´s not the sacrifice for 60fps lol how many times do we have to say here that most of ND budget goes into SP??

Have you even played other Uncharteds and see the insane difference from SP to MP and both 2 and 3 were running at 30fps on both SP and MP.

BF looks fantastic at 60fps on Ps4 BECAUSE all the resources went into MP and it is a game with what??? 5 maps??

Naugthy Dog focus is on the campaign and it shows. MP looks good too but dont expect it to look near as good campaign.

OryoN

Honestly this is the best animation I have ever seen in a videogame.

Quite easily too! Like an absolute no-contest. WOW!

The only thing not shocking; is that it 'happens' to be Naughty Dog at the helm of the most impressive display of realtime/in-game animation to date. On hardware that's beginning to show its age, no less. These freaking guys...

zsynqx

Best part of the video.

"One thing that we really learned from The Last of Us, and experimented with and got really good results from, is allowing the player to just poke around in an intriguing environment, talk to people, have these side conversations with your buddies or with your allies." Cut to Lemur :p

Those moments were a big part of what made TLOU so special and I'm glad they are now in Uncharted.

Memento

Best part of the video.

"One thing that we really learned from The Last of Us, and experimented with and got really good results from, is allowing the player to just poke around in an intriguing environment, talk to people, have these side conversations with your buddies or with your allies." Cut to Lemur :p

Those moments were a big part of what made TLOU so special and I'm glad they are now in Uncharted.

Agreed! Some of the best moments in TLOU were optional side conversations that developed the world and characters.

I have to say from the music I've heard so far I'm actually liking this soundtrack better than the previous Uncharted's. The music is just giving me chills something the previous soundtracks didn't do and there's still more me haven't heard yet. I still hope they have that classic Uncharted theme from the menu screen.

ironcreed

Banned
god you can see his cheeks move when he squeezes his face, also another small tidbit is when he runs his finger down his mouth the small left part of his bottom lip flips in than out very quickly, god damn.

Indeed. It looks pretty much as real as it gets without being a real person.

Best part of the video.

Hundreds of thousands of people will never see that lemur. That lemur scene with unique animations and dialogue, just there for you to find and serves no purpose. I love it.

It´s not the sacrifice for 60fps lol how many times do we have to say here that most of ND budget goes into SP??

Have you even played other Uncharteds and see the insane difference from SP to MP and both 2 and 3 were running at 30fps on both SP and MP.

BF looks fantastic at 60fps on Ps4 BECAUSE all the resources went into MP and it is a game with what??? 5 maps??

Naugthy Dog focus is on the campaign and it shows. MP looks good too but dont expect it to look near as good campaign.

ALL OF THIS.

I never understand why people dont get it.

mileS

Best part of the video.

Something else ND are absolute masters at. The past Uncharted games packed most of the side conversation stuff in along the way (which added a lot to the characters) but damn TLOU really refined the concept into something amazing. To hear that we will get more of that here is incredible news.

ghibli99

Yeah, I love the little side conversations and just the attention to detail... a bit of hyperbole, but it's like when you run through an apartment building. You stop and look at ONE of those rooms and there is more detail in it than a lot of devs would have put into that entire building.

Yeah, no.

It's both.

I think its more much a question of stability for the multiplayer than "well they just don't budget as much for the multiplayer". Its not like they made uglier MP models and worse effects because they ran out of money or whatever.

Ricky_R

I don't even understand how they're doing this at this point. It's so lifelike.

Well, this time they are doing facial motion capture, which lays the foundation, but it's the animators and their attention to detail who work on those extra touches that make Drake & co. look so lifelike now.

prag16

Banned
ALL OF THIS.

I never understand why people dont get it.

So 60fps vs. 30 has nothing to do with it, at all? Okay, guy.

"Less effort on multiplayer" I'm sure is true to a point. But it's the same game engine, and I'd imagine a lot of the same assets (as what is used in single player gameplay; possibly not cutscenes). Not that it looked "bad" or anything.

I think its more much a question of stability for the multiplayer than "well they just don't budget as much for the multiplayer". Its not like they made uglier MP models and worse effects because they ran out of money or whatever.

Yeah, this makes a little more sense. But that again goes back in large part to what I originally said about sacrifices made to guarantee fluid 60fps.

So 60fps vs. 30 has nothing to do with it, at all? Okay, guy.

"Less effort on multiplayer" I'm sure is true to a point. But it's the same game engine, and I'd imagine a lot of the same assets (as what is used in single player gameplay; possibly not cutscenes). Not that it looked "bad" or anything.

Yeah, this makes a little more sense. But that again goes back in large part to what I originally said about sacrifices made to guarantee fluid 60fps.

my bad, I meant both, its 60, and the budget

Top Bottom