• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The Evolution of a Franchise

ahoQhfx.gif

this is incredible

Lingitiz

This game has some of the most realistic looking character models I've ever seen. I don't know what it is but it just looks like a step above any other game out there.

gamerMan

Honestly, the multiplayer beta this past weekend was sort of unimpressive visually imo. Maybe I spoiled myself by playing Battlefront on PC beforehand. But it seems like a HUGE drop from the single player stuff they've been showing. The sacrifices made for 60fps I guess. If you're talking STRICTLY about the animations, then yeah they were pretty good, but I wouldn't say a generation ahead of everybody else or anything.

Nevertheless, multiplayer wasn't going to be my focus with this game regardless (I don't even maintain a plus sub). Everything else has looked great. The wait will feel long. Luckily I have Tomb Raider and soon Quantum Break on PC to bridge the gap.

I agree the Multiplayer Beta didn't exactly blow me away like the way the single player does, but we haven't see much off the single player game. Most of what we have been shown is highly scripted .The animations in the scripted scenes are beyond anything I have seen.

I hope we are getting that level of animation in the game. IMO, the animation in the multiplayer beta ingame was not as good as something like Metal Gear 5.

While everything was clear and the IQ was unbelievable, the world felt dead and separate from the characters. I was hoping for more physical interaction with the objects inside of the world, but the world is mostly static. It would have been cool if the buildings, objects, and structures could explode, tear apart, or catch on fire like we have seen in the single player. It appears those events are scripted and not a part of the game engine, giving the illusion of a more dynamic world.

Wow. Just wow. Can't wait for this game to finally come out!

Looking forward to the next installments and try to stop myself watching
(only to fail in less than a minute).
I hope Naughty Dog would put the complete BTS for free in Amazon like they did for TLOU. Or better yet, have it included on the disc.

CaptainKashup

Neo Member
Damn..

What I'm most excited about is to see if the skins available for singleplayer will really work for all of these cutscenes. It would be hilarious.

-griffy-

Banned
While everything was clear and the IQ was unbelievable, the world felt dead and separate from the characters. I was hoping for more physical interaction with the objects inside of the world, but the world is mostly static. It would have been cool if the buildings, objects, and structures could explode, tear apart, or catch on fire like we have seen in the single player..
Uh, this is not true at all.
ExplosionEffects.gif

giphy.gif

As for general animation, it was pretty stellar from my perspective:
Movement.gif

Reloading.gif

RooftopsRope.gif

HarshKindGraywolf.gif

MGSV is kind of a weird comparison. The animation in that game is good in general, and easily much better than any previous MGS game, but it's still fairly mechanical. Like, he's in the sprinting animation, and now he's in the crouched animation, and now he's in the walking animation. Everything in Uncharted 4 feels so smooth, the transitions between everything is so fluid, yet you still feel like you have control. They finally found the perfect balance between player responsiveness, while feeling weighty, and while looking natural, that the first three Uncharted games didn't ever quite get to.

I agree the Multiplayer Beta didn't exactly blow me away like the way the single player does, but we haven't see much off the single player game. Most of what we have been shown is highly scripted .The animations in the scripted scenes are beyond anything I have seen.

I hope we are getting that level of animation in the game. IMO, the animation in the multiplayer beta ingame was not as good as something like Metal Gear 5.

While everything was clear and the IQ was unbelievable, the world felt dead and separate from the characters. I was hoping for more physical interaction with the objects inside of the world, but the world is mostly static. It would have been cool if the buildings, objects, and structures could explode, tear apart, or catch on fire like we have seen in the single player. It appears those events are scripted and not a part of the game engine, giving the illusion of a more dynamic world.

What? Plenty of objects move, explode, react, and feel apart of the world. For God's sake the folding chairs even fold pretty convincingly haha.

ShutterMunster

Uh, this is not true at all.
ExplosionEffects.gif

giphy.gif

As for general animation, it was pretty stellar from my perspective:
Movement.gif

Reloading.gif

RooftopsRope.gif

HarshKindGraywolf.gif

MGSV is kind of a weird comparison. The animation in that game is good in general, and easily much better than any previous MGS game, but it's still fairly mechanical. Like, he's in the sprinting animation, and now he's in the crouched animation, and now he's in the walking animation. Everything in Uncharted 4 feels so smooth, the transitions between everything is so fluid, yet you still feel like you have control. They finally found the perfect balance between player responsiveness, while feeling weighty, and while looking natural, that the first three Uncharted games didn't ever quite get to.

This. I'm also puzzled by the constant MGSV animation talk. They don't transition well AT ALL. The fluidity between animations in UC4 is insane. It makes the characters feel more alive.

Javin98

Banned
*great post*
Yeah, I'm not sure what he is talking about at all. The animations in the MP beta were insane. Maybe someone should post that GIF of the characters being hit by explosions. The destruction is also pretty incredible for an MP. I even once accidentally killed myself in the jungle map by blowing up a pillar and the debris crushed me. As good as MGSV's animations are, it's not really a close comparison at all.

Also, guys, stop teasing Dictator. He does have a preference for PC, but he doesn't make fanboyish claims. He has a lot of technical knowledge and even corrected DF several times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Seriously, how can facial animation be any more real than that? Unless it's, well... real.
Check out some of the stuff they pulled off in Quantum Break and especially SC's models, but that face touching moment is impressive. It's weird seeing them say that Nathan Drake is just a normal dude. He's not a normal dude at all. He's like the complete opposite.

Optional conversations. nice. Just hope if its a trophy some dont glitch like they did on TLoU on PS3.

And then they showed the interactive conversations at PSX last year.

I hope they include these videos on the game disc like the first 3 games on PS3 did.

"So uh, Uncharted 3 was about making something bigger and... so yeah, moving on to the Last of Us !"

I know Straley/Druckmann didn't work on U3, but damn, that's brutal. Doing a restrospective of Uncharted without Hennig/Richmond and probably some other guys was not ideal I guess : /

Alienous

"So uh, Uncharted 3 was about making something bigger and... so yeah, moving on to the Last of Us !"

I know Straley/Druckmann didn't work on U3, but damn, that's brutal. Doing a restrospective of Uncharted without Hennig/Richmond and probably some other guys was not ideal I guess : /

I found that part funny. It's so transparently obligatory.

As someone who resisted and didnt watch the latest trailer, is it worth seeing this?

I was so proud of myself because I didnt give in to the hype only for Naughty Dog to use this cheap tactic to entice me.

Alienous

As someone who resisted and didnt watch the latest trailer, is it worth seeing this?

I was so proud of myself because I didnt give in to the hype only for Naughty Dog to use this cheap tactic to entice me.

A lot of it isn't about UC4 directly, and the parts you might want to avoid seeing before playing the game yourself are gif'd in this thread.

It doesn't really contain much, if anything, from the trailer you avoided.

Ricky_R

Check out some of the stuff they pulled off in Quantum Break and especially SC's models, but that face touching moment is impressive. It's weird seeing them say that Nathan Drake is just a normal dude. He's not a normal dude at all. He's like the complete opposite.

When they say he's a normal dude, they mostly mean his personality and how he interacts with other people. Even more so now that they are going into his every day life, literally. It's not like they think about his life risking adventures and ability to kill when they say that...

Unless you think Drake is the same as Marcus Phoenix, for example.

Lingitiz

I don't think it's any secret ND wishes Uncharted 3 was more than it ended up being. It still turned out solid but IIRC they mentioned they were strapped for time and knew they should have negotiated with Sony for a delay. Instead they crunched super hard to make that holiday release slot. Might have been in that Naughty Dog retrospective that came out not too long ago, I'll have to look for that interview where it was mentioned.

Ultimately it probably ended up being a good example for them to point at when asking for future delays, considering TLOU and UC4 have undergone multiple similar pushes.

-griffy-

Banned

He's a normal dude in the same way that Indiana Jones is a normal dude or John McClane is a normal dude. They aren't perfect action heroes, they screw up, they trip and stumble, they get hurt, they bleed. They are every man heroes.

Top Bottom