• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today’s feminist problem? Black women are still invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
This commentary is part of The Globe’s series, Work In Progress: The global struggle for gender parity. We asked Canadian writers to answer the question: Where does feminism go from here?
A few weeks ago, I got a press release about the 100th anniversary of women getting the vote in Canada. The e-mail goes on about women’s suffrage and the commemoration of that fight for a few hundred words and then begins to catalogue when women got the right to vote throughout the country – women in Manitoba in 1916, those in Newfoundland in 1925 and so on and so on – and then, in brackets, near the end, “Unfortunately, the right to vote was withheld from indigenous women, as well as those of Asian and African descent, for years longer.”

Nowhere in the press release was there any mention of how anti-black many suffragettes were; how much of these women’s activism was about gaining the vote for white women only; and how championing eugenics for racialized women was also part of their politics. Heck, there wasn’t even a mention of when indigenous, Asian and African women got the vote in Canada.

And this is the problem with feminism as it exists today. Black women and other women of colour are continuously rendered invisible beneath the “women” banner. The default definition for women is white women – those with the most systemic power – and the issues of the most privileged of us take precedence over the trials and tribulations of the least privileged of us.

We saw this with the celebration of Justin Trudeau’s recent cabinet – that boasted gender parity “because it’s 2015” but not racial parity. We see this with continuing discussions about the gender pay gap – but there’s a greater disparity between race than gender.
While white women experience the repercussions of sexism, racism isn’t one of the barriers that they have to come up against. It’s actually one that benefits them. The unique issues that black women have to deal with are far too often overshadowed by the issues that white women deal with, leaving those of us with less institutional power to wait and hope for a trickle-down equity that history has shown us will never come.

Black women exist at the intersection of blackness and womanhood and, therefore, our feminism isn’t a single issue struggle. Our battle for equity and inclusion is with both misogyny and systemic anti-blackness, from within and without feminist circles. Feminism, as it is popularly practised, whitewashes the experience of racialized women and does not acknowledge the intersectionalities within womanhood. It does not acknowledge the distinctive ways different women experience sexism.

Through this myopic definition of womanhood, mainstream feminism is embroiled in elevating the women closest to the top rather than those struggling and suffering on the margins.

In Canada, black women and other women of colour find themselves missing not only from movements for gender diversity, but also from seats of power. Bank boards, newsrooms, hospital boards and executive positions are all spaces where white women see themselves better represented
And this is our next big frontier. Blasting the concrete ceiling that keeps us out of positions of power in various industries, as well as addressing the way misogynoir – a word coined by queer, black feminist scholar Moya Bailey, and meaning the combination of anti-blackness and misogyny – manifests in various systems. Income inequality, overrepresentation of black youth in foster care and group homes, high dropout and push-out rates in secondary schools, low enrolment in postsecondary institutions and inadequate access to health care are just some of the issues black women in Canada are facing.

But this is a battle that black women cannot fight alone. We did not create the problem and so we need those in positions of power to do their part to eradicate systemic misogynoir, and to step back so others can step up. We need white people to listen, learn, create and enact action plans to smash systemic misogynoir. Black women have done their part by stubbornly, bravely sharing their stories. It’s time for everyone else to step up.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ck-women-are-still-invisible/article29082375/

White feminists have a long history of being white supremacists. It's why I'm always confused when black women identify with feminism.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
White feminists have a long history of being white supremacists. It's why I'm always confused when black women identify with feminism.

Ohoho.

Really?

Give me exact quotes.

Black activists are mostly under the label as most anarcho-feminists, so this does't make sense.

A Fish Aficionado

You sound skeptical. Do you think he's wrong about the history?

Just about the framing.
There's plenty of Black author's exposing the white bias in feminism. Not so much about it being supremacist.
Hell, the video lecture on post traumatic slavery would be enough.

A Fish Aficionado

Early feminism was extremely racist towards poc

In context, or are why judging the same way the sciences are judged?

Most science history is racist, abusive, as heck.

I am reacting to the poster, not the OP.

Take for instance:
Planned Parenthood mostly services those people, yet opponents while grasp to the idea of it a eugenics program. That's what I am getting at.
At what point does history catch up with at least some reality?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In context, or are why judging the same way the sciences are judged?

Most science history is racist, abusive, as heck.

I am reacting to the poster, not the OP.

Take for instance:
Planned Parenthood mostly services those people, yet opponents while grasp to the idea of it a eugenics program. That's what I am getting at.
At what point does history catch up with at least some reality?

That is a really poor, example. science isn't a movement with a specific goal it's simply knowledge accuration. Which has been used for both great and disgusting ways while accrued by some great and disgusting ways. It's as neutral as knowledge is, people use it as they will.

Oersted

That is a really poor, example. science isn't a movement with a specific goal it's simply knowledge accuration. Which has used for both great and disgusting ways while accrued by some great and disgusting ways.

Thats science in theory. Practice looks a little different.

A Fish Aficionado

That is a really poor, example. science isn't a movement with a specific goal it's simply knowledge accuration. Which has used for both great and disgusting ways while accrued by some great and disgusting ways.

Second point stands, though.
At least we can separate privileged, from non privileged.

It's that discussion, not one of race, though if a minority, which I am one, you are most likely one of the not-haves.

It becomes muddy when we put yourself into historical context, such as suffrage, or in race relations.

"where white suffragettes putting down the black vote?" or "were suffragettes racist?"
Are the questions in that response.

Any analytical view will tell you, it's very complicated.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thats science in theory. Practice looks a little different.

That does matter because anyone can practice science. You learn the tools and theory and do your thing. Your not held accountable to shit previous scientists have done, hell your free to hate previous scientists because there's no real knowledge being passes on. Your free to dislike scientisic nstution that's just that instiution and whatever institution it has influence over.

That's not to say the history of feminism is wholly different there are similarities, but not ignore it's orgin is to do exactly what the article is talking about, because feminism is inherently steeped in ideology and equality for women and eqality for white women are different things.

That is a really poor, example. science isn't a movement with a specific goal it's simply knowledge accuration. Which has been used for both great and disgusting ways while accrued by some great and disgusting ways. It's as neutral as knowledge is, people use it as they will.

No he's right. Many fields, and organizations have a long and early history of being racist. Hell the early scientific community was also misogynistic as FUCK! But would you be "surprised" female physicist called herself a scientist?

Why should it be "surprising " that black women associate themselves with modern day feminism and feminist ideals just because the early champions of the cause weren't as inclusive as they should have been.

A Fish Aficionado

No he's right. Many fields, and organizations have a long and early history of being racist. Hell the early scientific community was also misogynistic as FUCK! But would you be "surprised" female physicist called herself a scientist?

Why should it be "surprising " that black women associate themselves with modern day feminism and feminist ideals just be the early champions of the cause weren't as inclusive as they should have been.

Exactly. Though, anyone is free to correct me.
Black women, and women of color are completely marginalized.

Yet, we see the division of whether those women will agree as if it's a binary.
So many minorities are not given equal representation, but that does't mean we can back a fellow crusader.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Why should it be "suorising" that black women associate themselves with modern day feminism and feminist ideals just be the early champions of the cause weren't as inclusive as they should have been.

These are organisations, they don't remotely represent scientists or science as a whole, this is a global thing were talking about here, Plus the fact that their morally awful doesn't change whatever principles they held a scientist today can completely ignore the ideology of scientists back then, he's not inheriting or following them unless he chooses specifically to. Scientific are praised because of their breakthroughs you rarely talk about their personal lives.

Feminism isn't quite the same in that regard since like I said it's more closely steeped in ideology. The reason why black women today identify with it is obvious. It's either that or set up an entirely different movement.

Oersted

That does matter because anyone can practice science. You learn the tools and theory and do your thing. Your not held accountable to shit previous scientists have d8one, hell your free to hate previous scientists because there's no real knowledge being passes on. Your free to dislike scientisic nstution that's just that instiution and whatever institution it has influence over.

That's not to say the history of feminism is wholly different there are similarities, but not ignore it's orgin is to do exactly what the article is talking about, because feminism is inherently steeped in ideology and equality for women and eqality for white women are different things.

The opening point was the early feminism and how much racist it was. There is a connection to the scientific community. Are you, just as an example, aware of Clémence Royer?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The opening point was the early feminism and how much racist it was. There is a connection to the scientific community. Are you, just as an example, aware of Clémence Royer?

That would make sense if you relegated science to a specific period of history and even specific places, which is obviously a small part of the whole picture, science is a few milenia older than that. When we talk about feminist movements as in for example canadian feminiism we're talking much more specifically.

A Fish Aficionado

Black women exist at the intersection of blackness and womanhood and, therefore, our feminism isn’t a single issue struggle. Our battle for equity and inclusion is with both misogyny and systemic anti-blackness, from within and without feminist circles. Feminism, as it is popularly practised, whitewashes the experience of racialized women and does not acknowledge the intersectionalities within womanhood. It does not acknowledge the distinctive ways different women experience sexism.

It’s time for everyone else to step up.
I totally agree.

This will sound uneducated of me but i would like to know why its institutional racism when lots of black students drop out of school? I was under the impression that when any student drops out it is their responsibility and choice?

A Fish Aficionado

This will sound uneducated of me but i would like to know why its institutional racism when lots of black students drop out of school? I was under the impression that when any student drops out it is their responsibility and choice?
Different levels of support. Paternal and societal.

Different conditions, different labels.

A black or brown student may be labeled as a dropout or thug. While a white student may be given a pass due to circumstances.

Give The Wire a view of institutional rigidity.

Sorry I am no so eloquent. I've had a few.

Mumei

Just about the framing.
There's plenty of Black author's exposing the white bias in feminism. Not so much about it being supremacist.
Hell, the video lecture on post traumatic slavery would be enough.

Ah. Well, he did say that there's a been a history of white supremacy and this is certainly true. For instance, women's suffrage was explicitly advocated for due to its ability to secure white supremacy and avoid what they saw as impending race war. Leading suffragettes had justified their indifference on the subject of racial inequality to be one of expedience, in the hopes of getting as broad a base of support as possible. In practice, this stance on racism meant that the raison d'etre became not the end of male supremacy, or achieving women's political equality, but the potential for white men and white women to join together in white solidarity against the potential for black political power. Earlier than that, white suffragettes argued against the extension of the vote to black men and not women in deeply racist terms, referring to their degraded state.

And it wasn't just neutrality in the earlier days; in the late 1890s, Susan B. Anthony insisted upon taking a neutral stance on racial issues (when lynchings and murders numbered in the thousands); she also advocated against the passing of anti-Jim Crow legislation. Lynching was justified by the argument that they were what prevented black supremacy over white people, and by the argument that they were the understandable response to black sexual assaults upon white women. This myth was widely believed, and was used by Southern white women in particular as a wedge into political life. There was a deeply symbiotic relationship between white supremacy and advocacy for women's inclusion in political life in this sphere.

I think that's the most glaringly white supremacist era of the feminist movement, anyway.

Not

Banned
Black women are probably the strongest humam beings on planet earth. Bottom of the sociocultural stepladder, you have to be, right?

You show me a white woman whose son gets killed and then has a calm, steady voice for the camera the next DAY.

The marginalization of black women persists almost unabated everywhere in our culture. You of course see it in white feminism like in the article, AND in the eurocentric standards of beauty in the media that fuck everything up. There was a thread on GAF that revealed black women (and Asian men) to be the least desired group in the US. Not desired, not respected, not ACKNOWLEDGED. There are exceptions, but those women typically have to play by the rules... and if they don't, no desire, respect, or acknowledgement.

Shirley Chisholm ran for president in the 70s and said her biggest obstacle wasn't race alone, but men-- black and white, who patronized and hampered her every step of the way. At the same time, 70's feminists didn't see her as the "ideal" candidate for the first female President. (And 40 fucking years later, here we are.) No one in the entire world took her seriously.

I can't imagine, as a white male, having to wake up every day and just accept that shit as a part of my life. I'm whiny and entitled--basically just a spoiled brat in size 14's. Take my appearance. I can just put head & shoulders in my hair and walk outside and I don't feel judged or inadequate for a second. Meanwhile, black women have to jump through more hoops than anyone. It's a damn shame if ANYone feels pressured to douse their scalp in burning chemicals or don a wig all the time, because afros and braids and everything inbetween are fucking hot, and black women grow up thinking they aren't. Add it to the list of burdens. I want to help this get fixed somehow, and I hope the natural movement takes off in our culture with people like Lupita N'yongo and Esperanza Spalding at the forefront. I mean DAMN son. Damn.

Shit, I didn't mean for the longest paragraph to be about how much I find afros attractive.

LUPITA, btw, had to play a slave getting brutally whipped by a white man to get the Oscar. JLaw played a kind of mentally ill person but not enough for it to get in the way of her quirkily endearing personality. Are you kidding me with that double standard?

We've had a black man in the White House, and issues of racism in this country and abroad (looking at you Sweden) continue to arise and shame all us majority-Caucasian countries, so I'm not saying a black female President would solve misogyny and racism. But a powerful, powerful statement will be made when the lowest class on Earth rises to its most powerful office.

Sorry for the rambling. Black women awe me.

Jonnax

So on the scale of the individual you can say that it is a person's responsibility.
However if black students as a demographic are dropping out of school in general then it means that there is some sort of societal failing.

The institutions of the schools and government, have a duty to ensure that all citizens are well educated. And answering that black people drop out of school because they are black isn't an answer to that issue.

Frodo

There is also marginalization of lesbian/bi/queer and SPECIALLY trans women in feminism. It is not a perfect moment, mostly because it isn't organised. But I've seen plenty of good-will towards a more inclusive movement.

There is a lot to be done, though. No one can deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom