• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta stars on April 18th

Kountry

Banned
I'm more interested in seeing what the story is like, and changes to Horde mode. I was never big on the GOW versus modes.

If this beta will be like the previous ones you'll also probably get a special skin to use in the full game.

Isn't Splash Damage doing most of the work?

It's a Coalition game, I don't think they said Splash Damage were doing most of the work just that they were helping.

Games these days often have multiple studios assisting them, halo games have had help from certain affinity over the years (not h5) for example

leeh

Hypey hype hype.

Need to claw my fingers away from Division for a second and play a game of GoW UE.

krang

It's a Coalition game, I don't think they said Splash Damage were doing most of the work just that they were helping.

Games these days often have multiple studios assisting them, halo games have had help from certain affinity over the years (not h5) for example

Off-topic, but CA didn't help on Halo 5? What was the reason - they're usually pretty close-knit.

Vinc

It's this soon AND there's an open beta?

I was not aware of this. Now I'm hyped.

Off-topic, but CA didn't help on Halo 5? What was the reason - they're usually pretty close-knit.

I think I remember hearing on a podcast unlocked episode before MCC came out that they were working on "some other, non-Halo related multiplayer game" after doing H2A's multiplayer. I don't know what it turned out to be, if it's even announced yet, but I'm pretty excited for that. They're a talented bunch... H2A might be my favorite iteration of Halo multiplayer.

Did you expect they give you a Xbox One?

No, I expect they give me a PC key for Gears of War 4 or don't bother. Weird how ya'll don't think it's weird to be given access to a beta on a different platform than the one you played the previous game on.

I think I remember hearing on a podcast unlocked episode before MCC came out that they were working on "some other, non-Halo related multiplayer game" after doing H2A's multiplayer. I don't know what it turned out to be, if it's even announced yet, but I'm pretty excited for that. They're a talented bunch... H2A might be my favorite iteration of Halo multiplayer.

CA is working on DOOM.

jbug617

Banned
Credit to Wario
Gears UE will be $9.99 at Gamestop on Friday
CdmDK84W4AAwm70.jpg

Best Buy will also have it for $9.99 on 3/20

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
I hate MP Beta's.

Can't we get a limited campaign demo as well?

Because we actually are using the term 'beta' as a real 'beta' This isn't a demo.

We are looking for feedback so we can make changes before launch. We are also testing our back end

krang

They're working on their own thing, and good riddance, says I. H5 maps might not be the prettiest things in the world, but they're better looking than the H2A maps by a long stretch, and MUCH better playing than the H4 maps CA worked on.

Ok thanks. I had just kinda assumed they were involved.

I wonder if its really going to work with the keys this time around...

I had to post in the xbox.com forums to get my Gears BC codes..

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
I wonder if its really going to work with the keys this time around...

I had to post in the xbox.com forums to get my Gears BC codes..

We found most if not all users that had to request keys due to having incorrect account credentials. (ie: set Birthdates to 1800's, etc)

It's a common mistake due to XBL accounts being made so many years ago from many users and people skipping through standard registration processes.

Trup1aya

No, I expect they give me a PC key for Gears of War 4 or don't bother. Weird how ya'll don't think it's weird to be given access to a beta on a different platform than the one you played the previous game on.

Weird, yes... But I wouldn't prefer that the "didn't bother" with a key at all.

It's still an opportunity to check out the game early. If I couldn't play on a Xbox somewhere, I'd just give it to someone else...

We found most if not all users that had to request keys due to having incorrect account credentials. (ie: set Birthdates to 1800's, etc)

It's a common mistake due to XBL accounts being made so many years ago from many users and people skipping through standard registration processes.

But i dont have incorrect account credentials.

I was born in 1990 and that info can be found in my account.

If the point of a beta is to test the back end, limiting its access to the people who bought the UE is short-sighted.

Why not just release the beta onto the store and have a proper test? These dummy tests are the reasons why games tend to have issues when they launch, the back end simply hasn't been test sufficiently.

If the point of a beta is to test the back end, limiting its access to the people who bought the UE is short-sighted.

Why not just release the beta onto the store and have a proper test? These dummy tests are the reasons why games tend to have issues when they launch, the back end simply hasn't been test sufficiently.

This beta lasts longer than any other console game beta has ever done before. At least from what I can remember. I'm pretty sure the main reason for this is to get tons of feedback so they can tweak the gameplay before it's released. It's running on Azure, so I'm sure it will be fine in that department.

I have worked as a game tester in the past, trust me the majority of the Betas are demos with a few exceptions of course

This game isn't coming out until 6-9 months from now though. Most other "betas" are released weeks before the final release. This is an actual beta.

You should re-read the OP Miles...

m23

Hyped. Looks like there will be sufficient time between the beta and release to allow changes to gameplay and weapon balance. I'm sure it will help more than just test servers.

Two weeks, nice.

Hopefully the "codes in waves" things means they're going to be sending them out early for preloading or something, or that it doesn't take more than a few hours for them all to go out.

Awesome stuff. Really damn curious about how it looks too. Gears has always managed to impress on that regard. Sure it's MP so it won't look as pretty as the SP will when it releases but it should still provide a nice leap above previous Gears MP and UE's too. And even today that still looks great.

Top Bottom