• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta stars on April 18th

jfoul

Yes! I'm so ready for some gears action. KI season 3, Quantum Break, Halo 5: Ghosts of Meridian, then Gears of War 4 Beta.

eQkWtZu.gif

Hasney

If the point of a beta is to test the back end, limiting its access to the people who bought the UE is short-sighted.

Why not just release the beta onto the store and have a proper test? These dummy tests are the reasons why games tend to have issues when they launch, the back end simply hasn't been test sufficiently.

Because it's easier find the root cause of issues if you gradually let people on and then it crashes. If you just let everyone on at once then it breaks, it could be anything.

Theorry

If the point of a beta is to test the back end, limiting its access to the people who bought the UE is short-sighted.

Why not just release the beta onto the store and have a proper test? These dummy tests are the reasons why games tend to have issues when they launch, the back end simply hasn't been test sufficiently.

Guess you missed the part about the open beta.

Guess I should get around to playing ultimate edition when I get the chance, only thing that put me off was that I played gears 1 on BC just before ultimate was released.

2nd week is open.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nice nice.

Especially love that they extended the date to qualify for early access, very cool of them to do.

Fingers and toes crossed that the MP is just an extension of Gears 3 gameplay, that's all I or anyone else needs. They probably also know about this, but even if they have skinny characters, make sure that everyone has a similar hitbox size so that people don't keep bitching about that for whatever reason.

Oh, and tons and tons of legacy Gears characters, especially Golden Gear & Savage Hunter, just as they look in Gears 3 (my main characters for COG & Locust, wink wink).

Because it's easier find the root cause of issues if you gradually let people on and then it crashes. If you just let everyone on at once then it breaks, it could be anything.

Besides the fact that you're right, it becomes an open beta for the second week as well, which is there in the press release.

You should re-read the OP Miles...

Guess you missed the part about the open beta.

2nd week is open.

My bad, I misread it. I thought it was referring to UE owners.

That's a fair point.

Finally.

I'll never forget loading up the Gears of War 3 beta after enjoying such a complicated love/hate relationship with Gears of War 2 - they just nailed everything for me.

I remember clamouring to tell friends, 'this is the sequel we should have got, it feels amazing'.

I hope I'm left equally impressed with this.

Any word on when we might actually get some footage?

minx

I'm a little confused, I played and beat the game but have since traded it in. Will I have early access or do I have to play it between now and April 11?

m23

Finally.

I'll never forget loading up the Gears of War 3 beta after such enjoying such a complicated love/hate relationship with Gears of War 2 - they just nailed everything for me.

I remember clamouring to tell friends, 'this is the sequel we should have got, it feels amazing'.

I hope I'm left equally impressed with this.

Any word on when we might actually get some footage?

The Gears 3 beta was so good. If this replicates that hype and excitement I will be blown away.

I have worked as a game tester in the past, trust me the majority of the Betas are demos with a few exceptions of course

If the game is released a few weeks or a month before the game comes out, yeah (though small things gets fixed, and it tests the servers a bit). If its like 6 months, no.

shoreu

Please have Gears 1 Gnasher Combat please!!!!!!

No retro lancer, or Sawed off please... Or cheap shit like grenade tagging/ other stupid ideas gears 2 brought along.

ArjanN

Weird, yes... But I wouldn't prefer that the "didn't bother" with a key at all.

It's still an opportunity to check out the game early. If I couldn't play on a Xbox somewhere, I'd just give it to someone else...

This.

Also, I'd be pretty surprised if Gears 4 didn't come to PC as well.

No retro lancer, or Sawed off please... Or cheap shit like grenade tagging/ other stupid ideas gears 2 brought along.

Ugh please no... that RNG shotgun is awful.

Never got the issue with the sawed off. Was awesome during the beta when all the crybabies got to eat my sawed off. Sadly it got nerfed for no reason.

I hope the Gears 4 MP has some modes where the entire sandbox can be used and not just the shotgun

cHaOs667

UE4+60fps target and on XboxOne... that will be interesting...
I think you have to wait for the final product to judge the graphics as, like in the GoW:UE Beta, the graphics in the upcoming beta will not be final and in terms of resolution, texture quality, lightning etc.

Volimar

Any word on what the premise of gears 4 will be?

Ugh please no... that RNG shotgun is awful.

Never got the issue with the sawed off. Was awesome during the beta when all the crybabies got to eat my sawed off. Sadly it got nerfed for no reason.

I hope the Gears 4 MP has some modes where the entire sandbox can be used and not just the shotgun

Gnasher players cried oceans of salty tears during the beta and that led to both the sawed off and retro being merged to near unuseability. Gotta face facts. The gnasher bros are here to stay.

I think you have to wait for the final product to judge the graphics as, like in the GoW:UE Beta, the graphics in the upcoming beta will not be final and in terms of resolution, texture quality, lightning etc.

Uhm the Graphics in the UE Beta to Final didnt change... it was the same. Campaign is a different thing.

And they HAVE to sacrifice a lot for 60fps sadly. And UE4 is a different beast than UE3

JumperJumpz was complaining about UE4 on XB1 with Fable Legends when it first hit the closed NDA'd beta I wouldnt worry about his "concerns" tbh

Lothars

That sucks, I like the retro. I hope they make rifles decent again instead of all gnashers all the time. which killed ultimate edition for me.

If you want the game to not last that long than sure but I would rather have it where rifles are viable not just the gnasher.

Munki

I'm pretty sure tagging was in the original Gears. That being said, it was garbage.

That sucks, I like the retro. I hope they make rifles decent again instead of all gnashers all the time. which killed ultimate edition for me.

it wasn't in a good place at all. games would devolve into nothing but Retros. a Retro could out shoot a Gnasher at shorter ranges and could be burst fired with good accuracy at midrange.

friends of mine would never run with the Gnasher/Lancer-Hammy because it wasn't as viable.

Looking forward to it. I passed on the Ultimate Edition because I've got too much on my plate right now but I'll be checking this out. Played tons of Gears 3 multi, so I'm hoping for good things here.

Top Bottom