• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Actually Had Erotic Schoolgirl Dancers at its GDC Party [Up: MS Responds]

http://www.craveonline.com/entertai...-actually-erotic-schoolgirl-dancers-gdc-party

This has been blowing up on my timeline.

In a news story beamed in straight from the '90s/early '00s, Microsoft has reportedly decided that the best way to represent its brand at GDC is to hire dancers dressed as "erotic schoolgirls," because apparent no one in this particular planning committee had the wherewithal to prevent this clearly awful idea.

The dancers were reportedly present at a party organized by Microsoft for GDC 2016, with many attendees on Twitter reporting their disappointment at their presence.

Pretty dumb coming from the same company that hosted a "Women in Games" luncheon on the same event. One step forward, two steps back.

Update:

Microsoft responds:

At Xbox-hosted events at GDC this past week, we represented Xbox and Microsoft in a way that was not consistent or aligned to our values. It was unequivocally wrong and will not be tolerated. I know we disappointed many people and I’m personally committed to holding ourselves to higher standards. We must ensure that diversity and inclusion are central to our everyday business and core values. We will do better in the future.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/18/11262888/microsoft-gdc-2016-party

kiguel182

After tons of effort to make game development more welcoming to women and everyone in general they pull something like this. Shameful.

Cess007

This the part that baffles me more:

apparent no one in this particular planning committee had the wherewithal to prevent this clearly awful idea.

No one seriously thought: "hmm this might not be a good idea" at Microsoft?

kewlmyc

Maybe it was also someone's bachelor party? :/

Kinda stupid to hire "exotic" anything at a professional party, unless it's super private and everyone' invited is okay with it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Absolutely disgusting. The only way I'll forgive MS for this is if they put all their Windows 10 games on Steam.

Cardon

Weird. Reminds me of the time at GDC when EA party had women in skimpy dresses serving everyone at the food station. Literally had to tell the model looking lady which piece of chicken satay I wanted. Awkward indeed.

tuxfool

Banned
I bet the organization was outsourced to some events company. It doesn't make it right, but it could account for the apparent tone deafness.

Velkyn

This has been blowing up my twitter for the last hour or so.

Business Insider reported that the company had sponsored a “Women in Games” lunch earlier in the day.

SMH. This is absurd.

SeanTSC

I love smut and I'm a big supporter of it, but there's a time and a place for it.

This was absolutely *not* the time nor the place for it.

I bet the organization was outsourced to some events company. It doesn't make it right, but it could account for the apparent tone deafness.

I agree, paid to put on a party.
But surely someone from MS was at the party and could have said "stop dancing, get dressed, here is your money, enjoy the party".

WaterAstro

RFsO9oh.png

Blueblur1

If that's the case I imagine whoever approved the outsourcing without following up on what was being planned is not going to have a great day today.

Velkyn

Soundd like my kind of party. Lol cant wait to see Microsoft get so much backlash for a tiny thing like this.

It's by no means a "tiny thing". MS has been talking up a diverse space in games for the last little bit. This dumps this goodwill out the window. How alienating do you think it is for women there to be subjected to this trash?

Wow, the elitist and exclusive "games industry" is afraid of women who happen to be erotic dancers that like to wear schoolgirl outfits, as if they don't belong there or something

This is really dumb

Cess007

Shouldn't the outsourced organizers still contact MS to let them know what they will do in the venue? It's not like they can (or should) go on with this without MS previous authorization.

I mean, there's always the case they didn't inform MS about this, but seems improbable that nobody at MS knows.

I've seen and heard much worse at game dev event parties, but considering this is GDC, that's a more than just a little bit tasteless. Jesus.

Top Bottom