• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Review Thread

HoJu

Metacritic - 90
Opencritic - 88

Reviews

Telegraph - 5/5

ItsGWC (video review) - 9.6729346/10

IGN - 9.5

PC Gamer - 94/100

Gameinformer - 9.25/10

WCCFTech - 9.2/10

App Trigger - 9/10

press-start - 9/10

EZA (video review) - 9/10

Edge - 9/10

The Outerhaven - 4.5/5

RPG Site - 9/10

jeuxvideo - 9/10

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Gamesradar - 9/10

Metro - 9/10
A fitting end to the Dark Souls trilogy, that eventually overcomes the feeling of overfamiliarity with some daring new features and classic boss battles.
Gamekult - 9/10

Jimquisition PC - 9/10 PS4 - 8/10
Even individual areas lack the intricacies seen in the various shortcuts and labyrinthine pathways found in other chapters. There are a few moments of brilliance, that much can’t be denied, but the complex architecture that made my jaw drop in From’s other productions just isn’t there.
Destructoid - 8.5/10

Playstation Lifestyle - 8.5/10

Gamespot - 8/10
Dark Souls 3 is a harrowing trek through a dark and gorgeous world, and despite a few missteps, is well worth the challenge.
Polygon - 7/10
Dark Souls 3 lives up to the formula in some respects but falls short a little too often
cubed3 - 7/10
FromSoftware has once again created a game that you don't just play through, but experience as an engrossing odyssey… and, as expected from the series, it's not for everyone.

Not Scored

ACG - Buy (video review)
A solid wrap up to the series.
Rock Paper Shotgun - POSITIVE
But it also means extra loading screens whenever you want to take care of business (short loading screens, mind) and emphasises the fragmented nature of this world. There are wonderful places to explore in Dark Souls III and they’re all linked in imaginative and spectacular ways but those links are visual rather than physical. They are within the same continuous world and there is a logic to your progression through them, but the entire setting is not one wondrous physical labyrinth.

Eurogamer - Essential

more to come

seems like it's a good video game

McDougles

I wrote the review for App Trigger. I give Dark Souls 3 a 9/10.

App Trigger said:
If there’s one word to derive from Dark Souls 3, it’s warmth. The comfort of familiarity means relatively fewer risks were taken in branching out new ideas. Regardless, the core mechanics of the series are refined, expanded and perfected in a final gameplay experience that adds depth to an excellent series. Dark Souls 3 is Dark Souls, but with a new coat of ashen-colored paint. It’s hard to ask for much more than that.

Karak

My Review for ACG
Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8K71EUNbg

A solid wrap up to the series.

Pros
Graphics expect the swamp
Music
Level design
Battle skills(absolutely loved them)
Some bosses are amazing

Cons
Sound sometimes in enclosed areas has bad effects Also muddy when lots of enemies attacking
Magic and faith haven't been increased in speed and power to offset the new enemies movesets and just the way the game plays
Some bosses are boring spam
PVP is almost an afterthought and in many ways broken due to various systems also being in need of balancing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This'll be the lowest rated From Soft game in years. 84 on MC so far. I guess the formula has run it's course for critics. I expected this though.

I'm interested in what Gamespot means by redundant bosses in the late game. I loved the endgame bosses the most, and there's only one that's a repeat. Compare that to the dozens of samey bosses in Dark Souls 2 or even the triple threat of the Asylum Demon in DS1, and that's a perfect game.

Azuardo

Cubed3 - 7/10

Everyone will find something in Dark Souls III to nit-pick about, but, in the end, this is a wonderful sequel that every single long-term fan will grab and never let go - and there are plenty of reasons not to, although not much has changed, and despite the fact that it still hasn't fixed its biggest problems. Its world is still magnificently dark, its lore still a wonderfully challenging puzzle, and the gameplay is still that weird combination of pleasure and masochism. FromSoftware has once again created a game that you don't just play through, but experience as an engrossing odyssey… and, as expected from the series, it's not for everyone.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Polygon gave it a 7'. Dont wanna read the review for fear of spoilers. Anyone can summarize here?

The summary at the score isn't very spoilery - here

At this point, most Souls players know what they're looking for in a new entry. Your personal expectations for the series will play a key part in your enjoyment of Dark Souls 3. If you play these games for the intense, controller-clenching combat and the excitement of invading other players' worlds, then there's a lot here to keep you busy and happy. But in so many important ways — its world design, its pacing, the technology powering it — Dark Souls 3 falls short of the mark. Do you play for the joy and stress of exploring dangerous, intricately crafted places full of hidden elements and endless side paths? Then I suspect you'll join me in being a little let down with the direction this sequel has gone in.

Seems like the same complaints some people here have regarding the "connected world" of 2. Not a very important factor for me personally, but if you like opening door in area A and having it connect to area C then maybe you'll be bummed.

Jack cw

Polygon also mentions that the PS4 code they tested is a "complete technical mess"...
We were playing a final build with the day-one patch applied, but the game still consistently ran terribly, with the frame rate stuttering and frequently dipping into or near the single digits across a variety of areas. We've also received a report of at least one repeatable crashing bug that Bandai Namco says will be patched soon after release.
Don't know how they tested, but they are the only ones so far mentioning this so far.

Polygon gave it a 7'. Dont wanna read the review for fear of spoilers. Anyone can summarize here?
They weren't surprised enough and were mad that you didn't go up an elevator through the bottom of a volcano that wasn't there before. They also don't think there are enough secrets.

Huh...this runs counter to what most say about the game's levels being the most sprawling and littered with shorcuts in the series.
Yup. It's leagues better than Dark Souls 2 in this aspect at least, I'd say around Bloodborne's level.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Sounds like they're annoyed about the technical issues.

Also looks like Souls fatigue has finally set in.

Sounds like the opposite to me, since people who put hundreds of hours into the game in multiple playthroughs or PvP are the most likely to be satisfied

magnetic

I always loved the idea of Dark Souls but ended up hating the slow speed. The footage I've seen so far looks absolutely amazing and just like I always pictured these games in my head, if that makes sense.

So this looks weirdly fresh for me, even though it is supposed to be so familiar.

Henkka

Banned
From stays winning. Amazing that they've already shipped two great games this gen, when many studios have yet to ship one.

Top Bottom