• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda art image maybe reveals second screen for NX

So last week Nintendo released the first official art for the upcoming dual-release of Zelda Wii U/NX.

I finally took the time to take a closer look at it and noticed the 'slate' Link is carrying with him obviously resembles the Wii U gamepad.
I believe there is a good chance it reveals that NX also will have a second screen setup.

Aonuma already stated that he wanted to make great use of the gamepad.

Being in development for years, it wouldn't make sense to port the game to NX dropping all of the gamepad capabilities.
The art image also clearly shows that the gamepad will be the key-item of the game, probably being the assistant, map, ... Even if they change some things for NX, then why would they have that item look so similar to the gamepad?

Last but not least, I strongly believe Nintendo wouldn't let the two versions stray away too far from each other, keeping the experience as close as possible. They did the same with Twilight Princess.

My two cents, what are yours GAF?

3054619-zelda.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
Looks like a book not a tablet IMO.

Although could be related to the gamepad. IE he opens the book and something comes up on the gamepad.

Piers

If the game pad had to be used for anything that a pause menu can't do, it'll be probably show up as a 'second' live screen akin to Star Fox Zero or Four Swords Adventures

Shahadan

You do realize that whatever they come up with for the gamepad, there are always many other solutions right?

I don't know how you look at that and think "tablet controller." That's pretty plainly a magic book to me.

Edit: I guess, with a second look, maybe it doesn't have pages. Perhaps I am not to certain after all. Whatever it is, though, I don't know how you get GamePad out of it.

georly

Looks like a book not a tablet IMO.

Although could be related to the gamepad. IE he opens the book and something comes up on the gamepad.

The bottom part of it has what looks like stone or something sticking out. It even has a rounded bit. Not something you'd see in a book. It looks more like a stone tablet/key/etc than a book.

What if the Wii U version is "oracle of tablet" and NX is "oracle of NX gimmick" and they're 2 games in the same world with one key item change? ;)

aBarreras

im really intriged by the book i hope we use it to paint letters and symbols that open temples gates or something

fuuuuuck 1 year to go yet

It doesn't look anything like a gamepad and even if it did I don't see how that somehow implies there is a 2nd screen...but to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail, or somesuch

Raptor

After 5 minutes inspection of that image I came to teh conclusion that there is nothing in there resembling anything of what you said.

CronoShot

1. That looks nothing like the gamepad

2. Even if they did use the gamepad in the Wii U version for maps, inventory, etc., it's not like it would be impossible to convert to a single screen experience.

Squishy3

It's a Sheikah grimoire.

I am fully expecting it to be the talking companion for this Zelda game, ala Grimoire Weiss from Nier.

bomblord1

Banned
Doesn't look like a controller or a screen at all.

Well it has the eye of truth/sheika symbol on it if that helps us

The bottom part of it has what looks like stone or something sticking out. It even has a rounded bit. Not something you'd see in a book. It looks more like a stone tablet/key/etc than a book.

What if the Wii U version is "oracle of tablet" and NX is "oracle of NX gimmick" and they're 2 games in the same world with one key item change? ;)

I could see Link holding it up in front of his face to "scan" for stuff ala eye of truth and you control with the gamepad by looking through the screen like a viewport similar to Fatal Frame 5.

jonno394

I'm pretty sure this will be the item that uses most of the gamepad capabilities.
It's no ordinary magic book or something they decided to draw for their first official art.

Yes but your basis is that it looks "identical to the gamepad" when it dors not. .

Rockk

Nah, it has the Sheikah stone image and is mostly the Navi counterpart. Some type of ancient gadget guide thing.

Ooccoo

It's true. You will use the controller to scan the environment (think Metroid Prime). The thing you see is called the Book of Times and it allows Link to warp through time after finding its pages.

Sapiens

Does anyone else find the gamepads screen, even at the highest settings, too damn dark to be good for anything?

Top Bottom