• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda art image maybe reveals second screen for NX

Ansatz

I didn't base my preference on Nintendo's finances, but Nintendo's finances are tied to the preferences of the market.

Ok my bad. It's interesting to see many gamers being so passionate about the whole gamepad situation.

From where I'm standing it makes complete sense for the NX controller to have some sort of screen in it, otherwise the whole shared library concept falls apart. You need to achieve control scheme parity between the handheld and console to easily port games between the two.

Link is packing heat!

8mOYM8X.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
To be fair, the Gamepad is being used as a map and waypoint selector at the very least. That probably hasn't changed from the Game Awards 2014.

It really does look like a book. Maybe this Link is an inventor who finds a book with ancient, forgotten, yet advanced technology? Might be behind the neon blue glow, which reminds me a bit of Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

To everyone calling it a book: have you ever seen a book with a spine that wraps around more than one side? It could just be the art, but that's clearly not a book.

After looking at the zoomed-in photo and rewatching gamexplain's analysis of the footage, I think it might be a stone tablet. We only have a month before Nintendo spoils the game so we will find out then.

But it looks nothing like a Wii U gamepad. Your argument confuses me. It's very possible some kind of second screen functionality will be in the NX, but this wouldn't be the best "info" to support it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think this thread has gone south, but at the same time I personally believe the NX controller will have a screen built in. Good luck OP.

At least we won't have to wait very long to know who's right and who has to eat crow :)

Eat crow? lol a lot of the people in here who don't agree with your assessment would probably not be surprised at all if there is some kind of second screen functionality on the NX, they just think your reasoning for it is ridiculous, which I would have to agree with.

Ok my bad. It's interesting to see many gamers being so passionate about the whole gamepad situation.

From where I'm standing it makes complete sense for the NX controller to have some sort of screen in it, otherwise the whole shared library concept falls apart. You need to achieve control scheme parity between the handheld and console to easily port games between the two.

Who said the handheld version of NX is going to have 2 screens?

Worst Detective GAF isn't even entertaining Detective GAF.

I don't see it. Even if there were to be second screen functionality in NX titles, it's doubtful that it's a built in screen to the controller. The function likely can go to a mobile device or even a Vita-esque function in some companion handheld.

Madao

if the second screen was as small as a regular 3DS screen, they could pull off a normal sized controller with a screen.

Mark my words: It's GameFAQs in a magical tablet. You can read walkthroughs and post to their forums using the Wii U/NX gamepad.

It looks like a stone or a slab of some kind.

I don't see Nintendo wasting money on another controller, especially after Kimishima said they want to sell the NX at a profit.

It looks like a stone or a slab of some kind.

I don't see Nintendo wasting money on another controller, especially after Kimishima said they want to sell the NX at a profit.

Time for a new thread: New Zelda art maybe reveals stone controller book add-on with Wii Heart Rate Monitor for NX....

people are really desperate for news about the smallest things...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It actually reveals that the NX is backwards compatible with the GamePad and in order to play Zelda NX you'll need to buy one separately.

Smart way to get rid of the excess stock.

It actually reveals that the NX is backwards compatible with the GamePad and in order to play Zelda NX you'll need to buy one separately.

Smart way to get rid of the excess stock.
I was going to say best case scenario for Wii U fans is the NX can use the Gamepad.

Is this a thread where we do an irresponsible amount of straw-grasping? Because I can play ball. This alleged second screen looks like a stone tablet to me, and it would not be a stretch to assume it is ancient given the nature of this series. Pairing this information with the fact that there is a rumoured female playable character, it is fair to deduce that this is a remake of BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets for the BS-X Satellaview. The big blow-out at E3 will thus deeply involve backwards baseball caps, red wigs, and weekly DLC.

FjVcDpC.gif
8MXn5xY.gif

Jackano

Is this a thread where we do an irresponsible amount of straw-grasping? Because I can play ball. This alleged second screen looks like a stone tablet to me, and it would not be a stretch to assume it is ancient given the nature of this series. Pairing this information with the fact that there is a rumoured female playable character, it is fair to deduce that this is a remake of BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets for the BS-X Satellaview. The big blow-out at E3 will thus deeply involve backwards baseball caps, red wigs, and weekly DLC.

There is more logic in this post than in OP's. You should make a thread!

Edit: That said, I think it's likely that NX will have a form of two screens gameplay.

I think people saying the Star Fox video containing the NX controller are also nuts. You think Nintendo would reveal things this way with hidden clues? They never hide easter eggs for new hardware.

So last week Nintendo released the first official art for the upcoming dual-release of Zelda Wii U/NX.

I finally took the time to take a closer look at it and noticed the 'slate' Link is carrying with him obviously resembles the Wii U gamepad.
I believe there is a good chance it reveals that NX also will have a second screen setup.

Aonuma already stated that he wanted to make great use of the gamepad.

Being in development for years, it wouldn't make sense to port the game to NX dropping all of the gamepad capabilities.
The art image also clearly shows that the gamepad will be the key-item of the game, probably being the assistant, map, ... Even if they change some things for NX, then why would they have that item look so similar to the gamepad?

Last but not least, I strongly believe Nintendo wouldn't let the two versions stray away too far from each other, keeping the experience as close as possible. They did the same with Twilight Princess.

My two cents, what are yours GAF?

3054619-zelda.jpg

OP you are trying to see something that isn't there... it's a book...

Either a mod changed it or I read it wrong. I didn't see the "maybe" in the thread title. If I made the mistake I'm sorry.

Mods didn't change the title, the word 'maybe' was in it from the beginning.
I should've picked my words better, but English also isn't my native language.

For me it's still pretty obvious that it will resemble the gamepad and its gameplay.
Can I be wrong? Of course!

Still doesn't look like a book to me...

Mods didn't change the title, the word 'maybe' was in it from the beginning.
I should've picked my words better, but English also isn't my native language.

For me it's still pretty obvious that it will resemble the gamepad and its gameplay.
Can I be wrong? Of course!

Still doesn't look like a book to me...

I don't think anything here is obvious, its a huge stretch. Theres a slight possibility that Link uses the object to replicate the user using a second screen but we have nothing to suggest thats the case. I see no resemblance to the Wii U gamepad at all.

brawly

Why would he carry a gamepad? Like, did you ever ask yourself that question? Would have saved everyone some time.

8bit

Knows the Score
Why would he carry a gamepad? Like, did you ever ask yourself that question? Would have saved everyone some time.

It could serve a purpose as an ingame notepad, or as some magic accompaniment such as a remote viewer for the weird arrowhead. It's still speculation but I think there is a reasonable possibility of NX having some sort of twinned screen, maybe on your phone ala smartglass if not a gamepad or dedicated mobile device.

Top Bottom