• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer review thread

Machina

Banned
Hit me with them, GAF. I will endeavor to keep the OP updated.

Metacritic. Currently 86

Game Information

Game Title: Total War: Warhammer

Platforms: PC

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4d3ignBNQ

Developers: Creative Assembly

Publishers: Sega

Review Aggregator: OpenCritic

Reviews

CGMagazine - Jesse Lyle - 9 / 10.0
Imagine the developers took down a can of paint labelled “WARHAMMER” and poured it on to the Total War franchise. That is exactly what this game is and that is why I love it.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8 / 10.0
Outside of Shogun 2, Total War: Warhammer is my favorite Total game to date. Developing this project must have been a massive undertaking, because it somehow manages to not sacrifice the core tenets of the series while staying true to the ever-expanding source material of the Warhammer universe. After nearly two decades of historical battles, having the chance to command a magical undead army is a breath of fresh air.

Eurogamer - Christopher Bratt - Recommended
With the most exciting unit roster yet, Creative Assembly's latest is a godly blend of franchises.

Game Informer - Daniel Tack - 8.8 / 10.0
If strategy games and massive battles are your thing, this is an excellent and entertaining choice that effectively captures the strength of its source material

Game Revolution - Jonathan Leack - 3.5 / 5 stars
When you walk away from Total War: Warhammer, you’ll feel like you’ve played yet another decent Warhammer game. It has the attention to detail and adherence to lore that fans of the IP look for, but without many of the compelling qualities that are needed to substantiate AAA games in a release-heavy year like 2016.

Gameplanet - Conrad Reyners - 8 / 10.0
There's no denying that Total War: Warhammer is an enjoyable and accomplished title. But it's also one that takes few risks, and so a sense of what could have been occasionally floats over its crowded battlefields.

gameranx - Ian Boudreau - 9 / 10.0
I still feel as though I’ve only scratched the surface of this game, and when I’ve finished writing this, I’m going to go play more of it. Truly, Nurgle loves his children.

GameSpot - Daniel Starkey - 9 / 10
The Warhammer universe blends with the tactical gameplay of Total War to create one the best real-time strategy games ever.

GamesRadar+ - Matt Elliott - 4.5 / 5 stars
A charismatic, challenging, intricate strategy game that brings the Warhammer world to life.

GameWatcher - Dustin Bailey - 8.5 / 10.0
Despite performance quibbles and a repetitive endgame for the campaign, Total War: Warhammer is an exciting strategy game that stands on its own. The four factions offer unique playstyles with compelling strategic options, and the hero units, fantastic creatures, and monstrous enemies make for spectacular battles that are almost as much fun to watch as they are to command.

Guardian - Dan Griliopoulos - 4 / 5 stars
Fantasy tabletop warfare meets historical strategy simulation in a game that should be inaccessible but ends up exciting

IGN - T.J. Hafer - 8.6 / 10.0
Deep hero progression and a well-executed Chaos invasion round out a campaign that, while it has some flaws in set-up and pacing, fulfilled all of my deepest fantasies of seeing giant, impossible armies clashing amidst the shrieking of griffins and the glow of flaming meteors summoned from the sky. It’s just a damn good time.

Metro GameCentral - David Jenkins - 9 / 10
Warhammer’s fantasy elements add colour to Total War’s already impressive framework, with a strategy game that is both deep and tactical but also fun and attractive.

PC Gamer - Jody Macgregor - 86 / 100
If you find real history a bit bland compared to glorious nonsense made up by strange British people then Warhammer is the Total War for you.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Rob Zacny - No Verdict
It feels exactly the way a Warhammer-themed Total War game should feel, and creates tons of dramatic battles and storylines over the course of each campaign. But to reliably generate all that excitement and tension, it secretly disconnects many of the strategic systems that hold good Total War games together.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10
With four strikingly different races, Creative Assembly have done a fantastic job in bringing the Warhammer tabletop game’s fantasy setting, variety and tactical trade-offs to life. Those thematic differences have also been infused into the campaign in several ways, but there’s perhaps a little too much common ground, and you can see the same fundamental framework beneath the surface. With plenty more races still to explore and stories to tell from this world, Total War: Warhammer does little to disappoint as this fantasy project is made reality.

TrustedReviews - Sam White - 4.5 / 5 stars
As a piece of creative work, Total War: Warhammer is more than an ideal partnership between two iconic franchises. As well as nailing the look, feel and atmosphere of the Games Workshop universe, Creative Assembly has delivered a strategy game that will keep series fans busy for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours, while also giving Total War newcomers a good – if not quite perfect – leg-up into the world of deep, grand strategy. It adds new mechanics and refines old ones, and improves greatly on the series’ terrible reputation for stability issues at launch.

tuxfool

Banned
Gamespot - 9
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/total-war-warhammer-review/1900-6416434/

Warhammer, however, has always been about tactics, and for more than 30 years, it's been one of the most popular fantasy settings around, with a rich lore and vibrant tournament scene for its tabletop miniature game. Mixing the two raised a lot of questions about how Creative Assembly's attentiveness to historical detail would work with vampires, demons, and magic. But, the result is a sight to behold. Not only is it one of the most faithful adaptations of Warhammer's mythos, it is also far and away the best Total War has ever been.

FloatOn

how noob friendly is this game?

I'm terrible at strategy games generally but I think that's mainly because I've been too lazy to really take the time to learn.

I should fix that

jaekeem

I'm terrible at strategy games generally but I think that's mainly because I've been too lazy to really take the time to learn.

I should fix that

All of the total war games are pretty dense. I've tried to get into them in the past, but it just didn't really mesh with my tastes.

And the battles are kinda slow, compared to a more typical RTS like SC2, because of their massive scales.

Anfang

I should fix that

It can take some getting used to, the maps are usually big and theres a lot to learn. Best place to start would be Shogun 2. Great game and not as much going on compared to the others.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great reception. Was going to wait for reviews and man, they're glowing. All in baby.

Gaz_RB

Total War is back baby. My friend and I are going to devour this game. Rome II was a piece of shit at launch and we still put 200+ hours into it.

I should fix that

It's pretty easy to get into. You can scale the game to more forgiving difficulties and there's plenty of in-game help and a built-in encyclopedia. There's a ton of new systems in this one so everyone will be learning. If you're unfamiliar with Total War games they basically combine a Civ-like map where you move pieces and build your settlements and armies but the battles are real-time. Controlling the massive armies you've been, it's awesome. I can't think of another franchise that does the same combination so might as well jump in.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is the game thats ripping off Warcraft lore, right?
huge fucking sarcasm tag

k0SfHM8.jpg

Coxy100

Banned
Hope Angry Joe reviews this - I know he loves his total war games - and his rome 2 review was the only one I fully trusted...

Geist-

I'm so fucking hyped.

Is this the game where one of the factions is a preorder bonus?

Ya, and they were justly criticized for it. They tried to make up for it by saying that you can still get Chaos even if you buy the game in the first week instead of preordering(so we can check out first week impresssions). Not perfect, but but I have a feeling it was Sega's decision rather than CA.

I don't really trust reviews of TW games anymore. They seem to totally ignore things like performance, bugs and poor AI, which have been problems for every installment of the series. Warhammer hasn't appealed to me yet so I'm not in any hurry to get the game. Maybe once it goes on sale and any major issues have been patched.

LordRaptor

If you find real history a bit bland compared to glorious nonsense made up by strange British people then Warhammer is the Total War for you.

This is a strong contender for one of the best one-liner review quotes for a game ever.
Hope it makes it to the front cover for the GOTY edition.

danthefan

Look solid.

Did they keep that shitty pre order DLC policy?

Edit, asked and answered I see. It's putting me off buying it.

Coxy100

Banned
Great reviews - but are there any mentions of performance, bugs or computer AI?

So far I've not seen them....the exact same thing happened with Rome 2...

dEvAnGeL

Never played a total war game, is this a battle sim only or does it have resources management ALA warcraft 3? You know like building bases and things like that

Geist-

I don't suppose anyone plans to make a TW: Warhammer Multiplayer thread after release? It would be pretty cool to have pickup games with fellow GAF.

Never played a total war game, is this a battle sim only or does it have resources management ALA warcraft 3? You know like building bases and things like that

It has a campaign map with base building, resource management, and conquest, but all battles are real-time with set armies. Here's an example battle.

Good to see it is getting nice reviews. Love Warhammer fantasy well pre sigmar of course so can't wait to see what they do with it especially Skaven. Still holding off on getting it. This month was just too packed and I already got a strategy game that will tide me over for a while.

Top Bottom