• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer review thread

I don't really trust reviews of TW games anymore. They seem to totally ignore things like performance, bugs and poor AI, which have been problems for every installment of the series. Warhammer hasn't appealed to me yet so I'm not in any hurry to get the game. Maybe once it goes on sale and any major issues have been patched.

Here's a guy running the game on a GTX 970 at ~40 FPS with Ultra Presets & a i7 4770K CPU and 16GB of RAM.

He said he has had no crashes after 30 hours of gameplay thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5zNmolLbE

He said you can get around 60FPS with the 970 using HIGH presets instead of Ultra.

Of course, this is just 1 PC configuration though.

GeoGonzo

First we had a game like Doom not sending early copies for review and turning out fine, now we are getting good reviews from a Total War game.

What is this (good) madness?

Because of BRANDS™.

0ikuiQm.png

CISphil

Neo Member
Here's a guy running the game on a GTX 970 at ~40 FPS with Ultra Presets & a i7 4770K CPU and 16GB of RAM.

He said you can get around 60FPS with the 970 using HIGH presets instead of Ultra.

Ha! I was just coming here to post his video. He rated it a 9 and was critical of the multiplayer (rating it about a 6/7 but a 9 overall). He's not really a reviewer though but the main reason I was going to post is because he's one of the more competent/enjoyable Total War players on Youtube and will be doing a ton of Warhammer pre/post release for those of you looking to check it out more before pulling the trigger.

Garuda1One

IGN said the pacing was bad.
I mean, this is a Total War game, its you who set the pace.

nonetheless, definitely buying this. Spend dozens of hours in shogun 2, medieval 2 and rome... (not 2)

hunchback

Also, I have to say, the High King Edition is the most PC-ass PC Game edition of a game I've seen since the 90s

Are you talking about the collectors edition with the Dwarven drinking horn? My wife ordered that for me and I'm waiting for the shipment. Do you have yours and if so, how is the quality?

Effect

Can't read reviews atm. Any word on performance?

This. I've been interested in this for a while but having not played Total War games before the performance issues are what gave me pause going by what some have said. If it plays decently from the start I might pick this up tonight.

IGN said the pacing was bad.
I mean, this is a Total War game, its you who set the pace.

nonetheless, definitely buying this. Spend dozens of hours in shogun 2, medieval 2 and rome... (not 2)

Pacing in RTS games is always bad because there's no guarantee you'll complete any specific battle in the time frame that the story itself would be set up for.

Sijil

It means the death of modding games just so you know.

Not always, Total War Warhammer has mod support and Steam workshop integration. So will Dawn of War 3 which I assume will use Denuvo since they're by the same publisher. Depends on the developer if they're willing to release SDK's and integrate Steam workshop. It will however stop people from using third party tools to create their own mods.

He doesn't think the CPU matters much... I seriously doubt that for a RTS. Do you know which speed he has on that CPU? He doesn't mention that.

Lister

Banned
Don't mind that, but I'm not fond of additional server depencies for single player games.

I don't think Denuvo is server dependent... well not after the unlock, am I wrong? 'cause then I do have a problem with Denuvo.

I liked it because it was transparent to me as a user, and because it flummoxed the cracking groups.

Lister

Banned
It means the death of modding games just so you know.

Not really, Dx/OpenGL injection still functions I believe, so long as the app is a standard windows app. And if the dev wants to support mods, it certainly be possible. But yes, likely anything that intends to mess with the executable won't work unless it's exposed deliberately by the developer.

In my ideal world Dev would implement denuvo for the first 6 months or so, with proper mod support - all data files and references available outside of the executable, preferably with a toolset that allows access to some of the running game's memory via API through Denuvo.

Then in 6 months or so, denuvo is removed in a patch for full third party mod access.

Well, actually in an idela world people wouldn't pirate PC games :)

Some very nice reviews.But shall hold off for performance write ups/impressions....but looking like theyve hit it outta the park

Keasar

Lovely reviews, gonna put my order down on the game from GMG.

Also, whoever is making the OT better call the thread "Total Warhammer", no substitutions. If insisted, I submit my suggestion for the title:

|OT| Totally Total Warhammer Wars

Lister

Banned
Yeah, reading that Denuvo FAQ only makes me happy they are using it.

I want to preorder the game now, given the good reviews, but I still haven't heard anything about the physicla collector's edition, is that a Europe only thing?

I want a drinking horn!!! Put some sparkling cider in there and I'm ready to kill me some orcs.

Lovely reviews, gonna put my order down on the game from GMG.

Also, whoever is making the OT better call the thread "Total Warhammer", no substitutions. If insisted, I submit my suggestion for the title:

|OT| Totally Total Warhammer Wars

I don't think anyone has claimed it yet. I put a post in the OTs OT. It would be my first OT so it might not be spectacular.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't think Denuvo is server dependent... well not after the unlock, am I wrong? 'cause then I do have a problem with Denuvo.

I liked it because it was transparent to me as a user, and because it flummoxed the cracking groups.

It is. Every time they patch the client, it requires reconnection.

Anno

Any recommended YouTube/Twitch players out there for Total War games? I've been so in and out of the series over the years that I'd like to just watch some impressions and early campaign gameplay.

I really want to jump in but I think i may have to wait for GAF impressions and more performance reviews. From what you guys have posted they seem to have addressed issues I usually have with these games at launch (performance and AI) but it doesn't hurt to wait. Really glad they decided to extend the preorder bonus to the first week of sales. Makes it easier for me to get enough information and footage before pulling the trigger.

Lister

Banned
Any recommended YouTube/Twitch players out there for Total War games? I've been so in and out of the series over the years that I'd like to just watch some impressions and early campaign gameplay.

I like to watch Heir of Carthage, LionHeartx10, PrinceofMacedon and MalakithSkadi.

Femto.

I haven't looked into this game at all since Rome II was such a disappointment despite putting 50 hours in it. Surprised to hear this is getting good reviews.

How was Attila? I skipped it.

bjaelke

Been channel surfing on Twitch but there's nothing I can recommend so far.

HeirOfCarthage has been brought up here. I think Creative Assembly is streaming right now and they have a number of battle videos, showcases, and campaign stuff on the CA youtube channel. Lots of gameplay out there.

I haven't looked into this game at all since Rome II was such a disappointment despite putting 50 hours in it. Surprised to hear this is getting good reviews.

How was Attila? I skipped it.

I enjoyed Atilla. The new stuff they added worked really well. Different enough to distinguish it from Rome II. The horde mechanic is pretty interesting though it definitely takes some getting used to if you've played the "normal" way for so long. It was also a pretty good feeling to just destroy settlements. I recently got a beefed up rig so I was finally able to play it for real.

Top Bottom