• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer review thread

Geist-

Any recommended YouTube/Twitch players out there for Total War games? I've been so in and out of the series over the years that I'd like to just watch some impressions and early campaign gameplay.

I don't watch many videos, but Warrior of Sparta and Heir of Carthage seem to be pretty popular.

nubbe

Fragzone.se
FZ's rating : Very Good 4/5

+ Bring it!
+ What a start !
+ Essentially different races and troops
+ The attention to detail
+ The best of two worlds
- Inflation in the heroes' abilities and gadgets give some MOBA warning

Lister

Banned
I haven't looked into this game at all since Rome II was such a disappointment despite putting 50 hours in it. Surprised to hear this is getting good reviews.

How was Attila? I skipped it.

Better than ROME II from a technically and gameplay perspective (talking about post fixes of course), but I'm not a fan of the structure of the main campaign. It's the migration period and the empires I wanted to play are huge and sprawling and crumbling, so it was hard to get into for me.

I LOVED the Charlemagne DLC campaign though. As close to Medieval 3 as we're likely to get until... well, Medieval 3 ;)

Assuming this isn't going to be buggy on release this looks pretty stellar. Have to wait until June though. Just too many games this month.

Lister

Banned
Assuming this isn't going to be buggy on release this looks pretty stellar. Have to wait until June though. Just too many games this month.

I'm not looking forward to the decision every night... Stellaris or Total War.. Stellaris or Total War? No Overwatch! No Witcher 3 expansion! NO Total WAR!!! NO STEEELLLLAAARIS!!

They should take this great game and remake it by throwing out 3/4 of the rules and replacing the fantasitc lore with a paper thin facsimile and call it Age of Sigmar.

Reviews look good, and the lower ones are helpful. I am a wee bit concerned with the randomization of quests, but that's hardly new: "The council wants us to take Antwerp in 10 turns" et cetera.

Better than ROME II from a technically and gameplay perspective (talking about post fixes of course), but I'm not a fan of the structure of the main campaign. It's the migration period and the empires I wanted to play are huge and sprawling and crumbling, so it was hard to get into for me.

I LOVED the Charlemagne DLC campaign though. As close to Medieval 3 as we're likely to get until... well, Medieval 3 ;)

I felt the same way. And playing as a new kingdom... I couldn't get into it. The strat layer felt hamstrung playing as the Picts, for example. I really do need to try Charlemagne though...

Re M3: I wonder if we'll see it now that they're making a Warhammer trilogy.

M2 was my entry point into the TW series, so I will treasure it always - but it wasn't perfect. The way CA handled the ME was silly, and it made reading pop-up events annoying. I much preferred the way they approached those things in Empire/Napoleon, Shogun and Rome 2.

Ushay

Shogun 2 was fucking ace. And I sunk countless hours into DoW 2.

It's times like these I regret not have a PC anymore :(

Mrbob

Sounds good. Might get but so much coming out right now.

Fragzone.se
FZ's rating : Very Good 4/5

+ Bring it!
+ What a start !
+ Essentially different races and troops
+ The attention to detail
+ The best of two worlds
- Inflation in the heroes' abilities and gadgets give some MOBA warning
What does negative point mean? Heroes become op?

They should take this great game and remake it by throwing out 3/4 of the rules and replacing the fantasitc lore with a paper thin facsimile and call it Age of Sigmar.

Ouch.

I am looking forward to the General's Handbook. Seems much better.

Also just pre-ordered TW:W due to the great reviews.

Anno

For some reason I took it to mean that they might get a bit fiddly and micro-intensive as they get more abilities and items and spells.

Tagyhag

Yeah it sounds like generals are much more important now due to the spells that they bring.

But other reviewers have said that it's balanced out due to needing them on the front lines so it's a risk/reward system.

hunchback

Where can I pick that up?!

Sorry for the slow response. I just checked the website and it says it's sold out. You might check ebay or maybe someone the buy/sell thread. It's supposed to have some cool stuff in it.

Edit: I didn't see you got a reply.

Mr.Sword

Every time a major RTS game releases I try to get into the genre but I'm always overwhelmed with the sheer number of things I need to learn before I can play. Last RTS that I really enjoyed was AoE II long time ago.

Hopefully one day it clicks for me.

I'm going to wait until the game is well out and I can get actual impressions from people on Gaf. Trusted reviews for Rome 2 before it released, never again. Considering how badly Attila was optimized for anything but high-end PCs (running worse than Rome 2 despite barely looking better) I won't hold my breath when it comes to performance either.

Durante

Not really, Dx/OpenGL injection still functions I believe, so long as the app is a standard windows app. And if the dev wants to support mods, it certainly be possible. But yes, likely anything that intends to mess with the executable won't work unless it's exposed deliberately by the developer.

In my ideal world Dev would implement denuvo for the first 6 months or so, with proper mod support - all data files and references available outside of the executable, preferably with a toolset that allows access to some of the running game's memory via API through Denuvo.

Then in 6 months or so, denuvo is removed in a patch for full third party mod access.

Well, actually in an idela world people wouldn't pirate PC games :)
I agree, actually. If you think you have to use DRM that would be the best option.

Not really, Dx/OpenGL injection still functions I believe, so long as the app is a standard windows app. And if the dev wants to support mods, it certainly be possible. But yes, likely anything that intends to mess with the executable won't work unless it's exposed deliberately by the developer.

In my ideal world Dev would implement denuvo for the first 6 months or so, with proper mod support - all data files and references available outside of the executable, preferably with a toolset that allows access to some of the running game's memory via API through Denuvo.

Then in 6 months or so, denuvo is removed in a patch for full third party mod access.

Well, actually in an idela world people wouldn't pirate PC games :)

I would have no problems with that scenario, but I can't see them removing Denuvo, and even if they promised to do so, I'm not sure I would believe them to follow through on that promise.

Denuvo is not a deal breaker for me buying or playing the game, but it does devaluate the product for me, so full price for this is a big no for me knowing this. It's mostly just a thing principles for me. I'm not fond of having to ask several partners for permission to play a product, if I have payed a large sum for it. Something about that feels very wrong.

I will give them cred for actually posting a whole thread about it on the forums, but for some reason, I don't seem to be allowed to post at all in that particular forum.

Every time a major RTS game releases I try to get into the genre but I'm always overwhelmed with the sheer number of things I need to learn before I can play. Last RTS that I really enjoyed was AoE II long time ago.

Actually TW is pretty straight forward as far as RTS go. During the RTS parts you only have to worry about the units you brought to the battle. All the army building and base management happens on the turn based map.

LordRaptor

I would have no problems with that scenario, but I can't see them removing Denuvo, and even if they promised to do so, I'm not sure I would believe them to follow through on that promise.

didn't Sega patch out Alpha Protocols DRM around 6 months after release?

I have never felt so swamped in good games. Just finished uncharted, so what do I do now? But stellarris, doom or total war? I mean it seems silly to buy them all now, but it's difficult... Ahhhh

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rock Paper Shotgun

And here we come to the limitations of this review: I have enjoyed my time with Total War: Warhammer immensely, but the more I play, the more I have a growing sense that it begins to crumble as its scope expands. The economy is out of whack so there’s magical income to compensate for it. The moment you make progress on the campaign map, you draw so much diplomatic aggression from other powers that you are quickly swarmed by enemies that you do not and (thanks to the economy) cannot field the forces to resist.

That does put extra pressure on you to deliver those decisive victories as a general, and it contributes to the intense “win or die” Warhammer flavor of the game… but it also means that those victories start to feel fleeting and illusory because they don’t add-up to anything strategically meaningful. What was exciting becomes a slog, and that’s especially, painfully true on higher difficulty levels.

None of this diminishes the fact that I’ve had a wonderful time playing Total War: Warhammer and am far from finished with it. But the more I play, the more convinced I become that this is a game that makes a devil’s bargain. It feels exactly the way a Warhammer-themed Total War game should feel, and creates tons of dramatic battles and storylines over the course of each campaign. But to reliably generate all that excitement and tension, it secretly disconnects many of the strategic systems that hold good Total War games together. So do you want a good Warhammer game, or a good Total War game? Because I’m less and less convinced that you’ll find both inside Total Warhammer.

Acosta

Rock Paper Shotgun

"None of this diminishes the fact that I’ve had a wonderful time playing Total War: Warhammer and am far from finished with it. But the more I play, the more convinced I become that this is a game that makes a devil’s bargain. It feels exactly the way a Warhammer-themed Total War game should feel, and creates tons of dramatic battles and storylines over the course of each campaign. But to reliably generate all that excitement and tension, it secretly disconnects many of the strategic systems that hold good Total War games together. So do you want a good Warhammer game, or a good Total War game? Because I’m less and less convinced that you’ll find both inside Total Warhammer."

What the hell that means?

Xeteh

I have a secret dream that I'll learn how to play Total War games at one point but when I try I'm reminded I'm extremely stupid and I go back to less complicated things. TW: Warhammer looks awesome though.

ISee

I have a secret dream that I'll learn how to play Total War games at one point but when I try I'm reminded I'm extremely stupid and I go back to less complicated things. TW: Warhammer looks awesome though.

From what I understand they made the game a lot more easy.

Anno

From what I understand they made the game a lot more easy.

You mean difficulty wise or just complexity? Now that I'm watching through some YouTube content at least two of the apparently more recognized TW players out there have thought it on the harder end of the series.

Lister

Banned
You mean difficulty wise or just complexity? Now that I'm watching through some YouTube content at least two of the apparently more recognized TW players out there have thought it on the harder end of the series.

Yeah Total War youtubers seem to think this one is more difficult, but less complex, especially in terms of the campaign. So easier to get into but more punishing.

4Tran

The reviews sound pretty promising so far. My only issue is that I don't have the time to play many games any more, and I barely touched Attila even though I got that at launch.

The good news is that the actual RTS portion, the tactical battles, are really easy to pick up. You only ever have 20-40 units on the map at any one time, and the pace is generally leisurely enough that you can take your time to think before making moves. The bad news is that the strategic portion can be pretty obtuse with lots of different mechanics to balance.

I'm going to wait until the game is well out and I can get actual impressions from people on Gaf. Trusted reviews for Rome 2 before it released, never again. Considering how badly Attila was optimized for anything but high-end PCs (running worse than Rome 2 despite barely looking better) I won't hold my breath when it comes to performance either.
Warhammer is the first game that uses 64-bit and multi-core processing. That should help a lot. The people who have been complaining about the performance in Attila have been saying different things about Warhammer. So at least it sounds promising.

So this game is not a broken mess like Rome 2? Amazing. I was so disappointed with Rome 2. I loved Rome 1 and was mega ultra super excited for 2...well I will pick this up ASAP.

I bet you could do it. The in-game helpers are pretty useful and you could always ask us GAFfers for help. There's a lot of new stuff in this one so we'll all be in the same boat, figuring out what works best.

I do hope they don't give you huge diplomatic penalties in the late game.
Realm Divide in vanilla Shogun 2 was bullshit. It gave you a massive diplomatic penalty against everyone that increased over time guaranteeing that everyone declared war on you sooner or latter (mostly sooner). So instead of carefully building alliances through diplomacy over time to give you a better chance against the bigger factions, you were forced to fight the entire map until you reached victory conditions or eliminated everyone.
I understand why they did it. Steamrolling everyone in the late game gets boring fast but there must be better way to make the late game challenging.

4Tran

I do hope they don't give you huge diplomatic penalties in the late game.
Realm Divide in vanilla Shogun 2 was bullshit. It gave you a massive diplomatic penalty against everyone that increased over time guaranteeing that everyone declared war on you sooner or latter (mostly sooner). So instead of carefully building alliances through diplomacy over time to give you a better chance against the bigger factions, you were forced to fight the entire map until you reached victory conditions or eliminated everyone.
I understand why they did it. Steamrolling everyone in the late game gets boring fast but there must be better way to make the late game challenging.
You can't conquer all the territories in this game: https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/19/you-cant-conquer-every-map-region-in-total-war-warhammer/

Xeteh

I bet you could do it. The in-game helpers are pretty useful and you could always ask us GAFfers for help. There's a lot of new stuff in this one so we'll all be in the same boat, figuring out what works best.

I've had Shogun 2 sitting in my steam library for a while now, played it for a bit and just felt dumb. I should probably give it another go.

MrHoot

Goddamit 2016 STOP SHOWERING ME WITH FUCKING GOOD GAMES.

This is awesome news tho, will cement this game with support since i probably won't be able to buy it straight away. There will probably be a dark elf faction at some point, that's when i'll bite

Geist-

In for OT titled If you want peace prepare for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Seems a little long, but you inspired me to come up with 2 suggestions.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAAAGH and Peace

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAAAGH, What Is It Good For?

The reviews sound pretty promising so far. My only issue is that I don't have the time to play many games any more, and I barely touched Attila even though I got that at launch.

Warhammer is the first game that uses 64-bit and multi-core processing. That should help a lot. The people who have been complaining about the performance in Attila have been saying different things about Warhammer. So at least it sounds promising.
I really do hope so. On the other hand we all know that they are still using the same old engine that had massive optimization issues not alone because it is ridiculously dependent one single core rather than GPU or multi core performance and CA has consistently not been able to fix it. So I'm rather sceptical if they finally nailed multi core processing and quite some people on Gaf pointed out that 64-bit does not have such an impact on performance as it is made out to have.
Also, most gaming magazine outlets seem to use a high-end gaming rig (which will brute force through most issues most of the time) or might be simply ignoring any performance issues like they did right before the release of Rome 2, so I won't put any stock in them, especially considering how absent opinions on performance (or rather issues with it) seem to be looking at those reviews we got here.

We'll see how it turns out and I really, really do hope that it will turn out great (both the game and especially the performance) as a massive TW and Warhammer fan, however I'd really advice anyone who doesn't have at least a 970 and a solid I7 to be cautious when it comes to getting hyped or pre-ordering. Sega did extend the pre-order offer for another week after release, hopefully this means that they are actually confident in the game in it's current state.

Is blood and Gore in the game or do you have to buy it separately as dlc?
Probably DLC again. It's more of an age rating issue than a money grubbing issue, the German USK for example will not give a game a higher rating (and Sega will try to avoid 18+ or even 16+ ratings if they try to go the same route as with past TWs) if 'more brutal animations and blood' are content that has to be bought extra (if even for 0.01 cents) as long as it's not free to simply download. Of course Sega also enjoys the extra cash they can get out of it, so there's that.

Top Bottom