• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOXBOXBOY! |OT| Qbby's Quizzically Quirky Quest

maxcriden

boxboxotu7s0i.jpg

boxboxinfov3s4r.jpg

Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: 3DS family of systems
Release Date: January 2016 (JP), June 30, 2016 (everywhere else)
Players: 1
Genre: Platform Puzzler
Price: $4.99 (USd), $7.09 (CAD), €4.99, £4.49
Official website: http://boxboxboy.nintendo.com/
Will I get MyN coins for this in America? No, it misses the threshold by a penny.
Special Thanks: TheMoon!!!!! for the amazing graphics. (Best viewed in Dark Theme.)

boxboxgameplayt9sad.jpg

It’s time to think outside the box once again. Our boxy hero, Qbby, has a new power that lets him create TWO sets of boxes. He’ll put every box to use to survive perilous traps across more than 120 puzzling levels. Learn new tricks and box formations to get past obstacles like switches, spikes and even lasers! If you’ve played the critically-acclaimed first game, BOXBOY!, every costume earned can be carried over into BOXBOXBOY!

Features:

• Put every box to use to beat more than 120 new levels in this boxy sequel
  • Take medals, earned by completing stages, to the in-game shop to acquire new costumes like the Robo-Suit, read humorous comics, or listen to the tunes of BOXBOXBOY!
  • If you've played the critically-acclaimed first game, BOXBOY!, you can unlock many of those costumes too, because every costume earned in BOXBOY! can be carried over into BOXBOXBOY!
  • Use Qbby’s new power to create two sets of boxes
  • Discover new ways to use boxes to your advantage to get past obstacles

boxmedia5isk8.jpg

tumblr_o0iglmBIsA1qzp9weo1_500.gif

hacoboy_idling.gif

3DSDS_BoxBoxBoy_23.jpg

3DSDS_BoxBoxBoy_07.jpg

3DSDS_BoxBoxBoy_03.jpg

Vid:

Reviews:

None yet. But presumably if you like the first, you will like this too.

Kotaku: Import Impressions

atomsk

Party Pooper
quite possibly my favorite handheld game from last year, just trying to figure out when I'm gonna have time to play this between #FE and Zero Time Dilemma...

maxcriden

quite possibly my favorite handheld game from last year, just trying to figure out when I'm gonna have time to play this between #FE and Zero Time Dilemma...

Yeah, it's an unusually busy time for gaming for the end of June. I still haven't gotten to Robobot yet.

TheMoon

Bought it right away but probably won't get to play it until tomorrow or Saturday when I have a long train ride scheduled. It'll be perfect for that :D

Intel_89

I ran out of battery after World 7, it's more Boxboy and that isn't a bad thing.

The new 2 box mechanic works really well and doesn't feel like a gimmick, technique tomes have been replaced by little comics that are somewhat charming but not as funny as they're intended to be and costumes from the first game carry over to Boxboxboy if you have the save file on your system.

This is an absolute steal for 5€, buy it people or Qbby will get sad. :(

I bought the first one on sale when this was announced and fell in love with it instantly. However during that play session, I couldn't help, think that this could easily be done on a phone, and wondered why it hasn't happened yet. It's not that I want Nintendo to start making mobile games, as I feel that the lack of buttons would be a bad idea. I was just wondering why nobody has made a game with this quality on the mobile platform yet, and is instead saturated with ripoffs offs and clones of more successful games. I guess I kinda answered my own question. I just find interesting that the mobile market hasn't capitalized on simpler games ideas like this. Pretentious game was able to create an incredible experience with it's simplicity, and it's a shame that there aren't more games like it, or box boy, in the mobile market. Anyway enough with my rambling, Box boy is great, will buy the new one once I find time to finish the first.

Karu

I bought the first one on sale when this was announced and fell in love with it instantly. However during that play session, I couldn't help, think that this could easily be done on a phone, and wondered why it hasn't happened yet. It's not that I want Nintendo to start making mobile games, as I feel that the lack of buttons would be a bad idea. I was just wondering why nobody has made a game with this quality on the mobile platform yet, and is instead saturated with ripoffs offs and clones of more successful games. I guess I kinda answered my own question. I just find interesting that the mobile market hasn't capitalized on simpler games ideas like this. Pretentious game was able to create an incredible experience with it's simplicity, and it's a shame that there aren't more games like it, or box boy, in the mobile market. Anyway enough with my rambling, Box boy is great, will buy the new one once I find time to finish the first.
Eh, there are a bunch of great mobile games that are no rip-off. Threes, Monumentvalley and the likes (im only replying because the implication that there are non at all is super weird and ignorant at worst).

Nbz

Just finished World 5 and loving it so far. First couple of worlds felt very similar to the original, just with the extra box mechanic added, however, it definitely starts getting tougher way earlier than the first game.

This game definitely assumes that you have already played the first one, and that you know all the techniques from the original.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Feeling like they were able to have the challenge ramp up much quicker this time around, especially with the challenge world open much sooner.

....though having Bunny costume again makes things kind of easier.

I feel like I posted this somewhere else and lost it...

I like that I can wear the costumes from the last game. It makes it feel like earning the ultimate suit in the last game was worth something, plus now I look super flashy with a colorful cape and crown. Even better since this costume doesn't have any special abilities, so I don't feel like I'm cheating!

What's the consensus, my fellow BOXers? The first one was a classic, and I'm just assuming this one to be game of the year. How's it stack up?

You have to before you can play this one. For story reasons.

hah

so actually just beat the last stage and unlocked the last two costumes lol

they're actually a cute way to end the story

gonna pick this one up now, of course

e: aw man, there are stats at the end of the game and apparently i suck really bad holy shit lol

Intel_89

I can't seem to be able to grab the crown in World 15 Stage 3, even the hint doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

Old me was an idiot. Got it now and I'm 2 stages away from beating every stage with a Perfect. Then I still have the Extra Mode to go through but I probably won't bother with it until much later. I should be nearing the 10 hour mark, my thirst for Boxboy has been quenched.

Conezays

I can't seem to be able to grab the crown in World 15 Stage 3, even the hint doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

Just finished World 7 and was worried the game was ending soon! Seems comparable to the first game in quality to me. Hope others are enjoying it; too bad Nintendo doesn't seem to do much advertising for it.

maxcriden

Hm, a few reviews have begun to trickle in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/boxboxboy!

3DJuegos

Jul 1, 2016

Charming and clever, this sequel is just a reminder for players who loved the first game. A must-have for puzzle fans.

God is a Geek

Jun 30, 2016

If you like a good puzzle game, BOX BOX BOY!, like its predecessor offers excellent value for money.

Gameblog.fr

Jun 30, 2016

Two Box or not two Box, that is the answer from HAL Laboratory, in a much more sophisticated way than it seems.

Vandal Online

Jul 2, 2016

There aren't too many new features here, but the concept still works, and it's deep enough to put us through interesting challenges.

Destructoid

Jul 4, 2016

BoxBoxBoy! has a simplistic elegance to it. You can look at one screenshot or watch several seconds of video and understand what it's trying to convey. For that reason, it never really dives into new territory in any significant way, but it does everything so well that you won't really notice it.

Metacritic is 78. http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/boxboxboy!
Opencritic only has the GIAG review up so far.

I haven't gotten to play the game yet. Are these reviews accurate to your experiences so far?

I'm surprised that the simple innovation justifies the whole game. As the first game, this is brilliant game design, next to flawless. But they pretty much went the safe route (graphics, sound, level gimmicks are exactly the same as in the first game).

Also, don't see anyone else mentioning this, but isn't this game stuttering? It's really strange and it should run perfectly fine given the simple aesthetics, but it doesn't. If I remember correctly, I even noticed that on the original BoxBoy.

I've been slowly working though this and it definitely is more BOXBOY!. I played the heck out of the original but I don't quite feel the urge to plow through this one as a result.

The new mechanic is neat but their use of a lot of the same puzzles and obstacles is depriving me of those "Woah, I can do that?!" moments I had with the first game. That being said, this is still a 10/10 game for me. Hoping we get another sequel for NX.

Intel_89

The new mechanic is neat but their use of a lot of the same puzzles and obstacles is depriving me of those "Woah, I can do that?!" moments I had with the first game. That being said, this is still a 10/10 game for me. Hoping we get another sequel for NX.

It gets better the further you advance in the game, as in the first one the first 7-8 worlds just focus on a single mechanic and then they throw you in the wild where you have to figure it out for yourself.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've been slowly working though this and it definitely is more BOXBOY!. I played the heck out of the original but I don't quite feel the urge to plow through this one as a result.

In VR!

On a serious note, I can't believe I missed the launch of my most anticipated title this summer!

Intel_89

All stages cleared, it's time to put the game down. Had as much fun with this one as I did with the first, hard to say which I like best but they're both great. Took me little less than 7 hours to do it all.

ZeroX03

Banned
Forgot to grab this earlier, but it's mine now. Presentation and gameplay as simple and effective as before!

Shiggy

Just got this as I adored the original game. Are there no more time and point challenges or will I need to unlock them?

KevinCow

Banned
I finally got around to picking this up yesterday, and it's pretty great! Been playing it in between SGDQ games, and I've gotten up to world 8 already. Like the original, it's not too hard, but there have been a handful of puzzles that have made me scratch my head for a minute or so.

Top Bottom