• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : The next Overwatch hero is stealth oriented

If it is a stealth hero, I doubt there will be a straight invisibility mechanic, as the Overwatch guys said they didn't want to add a character like that as recently as a few months ago.

Genji originally had an invisibility ability but they removed it because it was too difficult to balance for him, if I recall correctly.

But maybe they figured out a way to make it work?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
2VuMH7Zl.jpg

Dezzy

Stealth is one of those things where it's lots of fun to do, but incredibly frustrating to play against. I hope they don't add any characters that can stealth, ever. If they do, at least make it so you can still tell where they are somehow, and so that they can't just instantly kill you from stealth.

Kouichi

It must be Sombra. The Spy was my favorite class in TF2, so I'm very excited to see the Overwatch take on that class.

SDCowboy

So the first new hero is another sniper. The next may be one with stealth/invisibility? Hope the game doesn't start getting annoying to play.

Spookybiscuit

Neo Member
Genji originally had an invisibility ability but they removed it because it was too difficult to balance for him, if I recall correctly.

But maybe they figured out a way to make it work?

The issue isn't balancing the ability, it's getting the ability in without slowing down play or breaking the tells in overwatch (the sound of footsteps and halos.) of course that being said they may include an ability that would allow the hero to become silent, or eliminate their halo.

Alienous

I don't mind stealth in multiplayer, as long as there is a movement penalty.

Killzone's way of doing stealth was really cool.

Stiler

Because it's a god awful idea for a game that goes out of its way to let players know where every possible threat is at any time during a match.

What? Overwatch is one of the few games that doesn't rely on a radar and showing you where enemeis are outside of specific hero abilities or using sounds.

Characters like Reaper and Tracer can somewhat sneak behind enemy lines, albeit with loud footsteps and tells. A stealth based hero would have to fit in with the teams sound design philosophy while not being too annoying or strong. I think they could do it.

J-Tier

I hope it's a stealth based character that CAN'T turn invisible. The character should have stuff like sticking to walls and ceilings, "camouflage" where the model turn into the color of the surface they're on, etc. Invisibility will cause too much suffering.

Arkeband

Banned
Didn't Kaplan say there was a bunch of Sombra stuff in the game no one found yet?

Now that everything we thought was Sombra turned out to be Ana, I wonder what else there is.

Eumi

I'd rather illusions. Like you can send a hologram to run out ahead of you to draw fire, or maybe even have an attack that doesn't indicate to the player being shot the direction it's coming from. Pure invisibility just isn't fun to play against imho.

Kouichi

I don't mind invisibility, I just hope she doesn't have a one-hit kill backstab like the Spy. Assuming she's support, which I'd say is very likely, it'd be cool if she could debuff characters in some way by getting close to them. Maybe take away ult charge or decrease their dps.

I hope it's a stealth based character that CAN'T turn invisible. The character should have stuff like sticking to walls and ceilings, "camouflage" where the model turn into the color of the surface they're on, etc. Invisibility will cause too much suffering.

Hmm I like those ideas. That'd stick with the general flow of the game.

No, no, after what the Spy has become in TF2, I really don't want them in Overwatch. Reaper should be about as close as it gets.

Saturday

No "gentlemen" line, no go.

Also I hope we get a anti-air type of character. Aside from Roadhog's hook there's nobody that's equipped to counter air fliers aside from taking to the skies themselves.

terrible

Banned
No "gentlemen" line, no go.

Also I hope we get a anti-air type of character. Aside from Roadhog's hook there's nobody that's equipped to counter air fliers aside from taking to the skies themselves.

A good soldier or widow can pretty much ground a pharah depending on the map.

Top Bottom