• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO launching in Japan tomorrow w/first sponsored Pokéspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Servers were fine for me yesterday. Better make the most of today then...
Tomorrow (Wednesday July 20th) is last day of school for many in Japan.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/19/pokemon-go-is-finally-launching-in-japan-tomorrow/

Well, you don’t have long to wait since Pokémon Go is scheduled to launch in Japan tomorrow (Wednesday), sources have confirmed to TechCrunch. Niantic, the company behind the title, did not reply to our request for comment.

TechCrunch understands that McDonalds will be the first launch partner in a tie-in that will see its 3,000 plus fast food restaurants across Japan become gyms for would-be Pokémon collectors. That’ll be a collaboration to watch since it will be replicated in other parts of the world and, if Pokémon Go can sustain itself beyond being a temporary craze, sponsorship could be lucrative for both the game makers and brands seeking to drive foot traffic.

EqjwlpN.jpg

CnuI3IAWIAAUE9Y.jpg:large

casiopao

Pliz make early in the morning. Plizzzzzz i had dinner with friends at night. I am going to need that sweet sweet poke spot there.T_T

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait, we've been hearing end of July for Japanese launch. It's coming tomorrow?!

Mik2121

Any official link? There's been so many comments like this one that it's hard to believe now.

If true though, that's awesome. I have two McDonalds nearby and I could do with some sundae or something.

mdubs

Banned
Productivity to fall to 0 in Japan tomorrow.

Will Nintendo's market value be double Sony's by next week?

And that's why McDonalds' share price went up. I should have seen it myself - the figures were an early indication that there'd be some sort of deal taking place between the restaurant chain and Niantic/The Pokémon Company for the game.

If I was a McDonalds I would want the restaurant to be a Pokdstop, not a gym. Gyms take way more involvement than just spinning a bit and getting some goodies, which you can do multiple times in a visit.

Good for Japan, have fun.

Dougald

Got to launch in as many countries as quickly as possibly while the fires still hot, I guess

It would be nice if they fixed the bloody radar so you could actually tell what pokemon was where, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom