• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today in Pokémon Go: cops under investigation, Yelp's PokéStop feature, military memo

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

NYPD investigating whether cops played Pokémon Go on-duty in Queens

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton has launched an investigation into a report that four Queens cops were playing Pokémon Go while on duty.

“We’ll take a look at that as to whether there was inappropriate behavior on their part,” Bratton said after swearing in a group of new recruits at the NYPD Police Academy Thursday.

“That craze is one of the stupidest ones that I've seen,” said Bratton, who pronounced the popular franchise “Poke-man.”

“(I) don't understand it... don't intend to understand it,” Bratton said. “It has no appeal to me.”

The cops were by the Boardwalk and Beach Ninth St. — one of the game’s PokéStops — but an NYPD spokeswoman said they did not go there to hunt Pokémon.

“They were on a directed patrol after we received several 911 calls about youths throwing rocks at cars,” the spokeswoman said.

Yet in a video taken by Zoli Honig, 27, the cops acted as if they were playing the game — and hunting the elusive digital critters.

“There’s a wild Pikachu!” Honig told the officers. “Have you seen him?”

 Zoli Honig, 27, posted a Snapchat video of NYPD officers apparently playing Pokémon near the Far Rockaway boardwalk earlier this month.
Zoli Honig, 27, posted a Snapchat video of NYPD officers apparently playing Pokémon near the Far Rockaway boardwalk earlier this month. (Courtesy Zoli Honig)

“I caught it already,” one cop said.

Moments later, another officer chimed in.

“I didn’t catch one yet!” the cop said.

The NYPD spokeswoman would not say if the officers were playing the game while they were at their post or if they were playing on their department-issued cellphones.

The app may actually help the fractured relationship between cops and the community in light of recent police shootings, Honig said.

"Everyone was coming up and interacting with the cops and being friendly with them,” Honig said. "From my perspective, it is a great opportunity to connect with the community. The game was designed to bring people together and get them out there."

Honig apologized to the cops and their commanding officer in a Facebook post Thursday morning, saying he didn’t mean to portray them in a negative light.

“The NYPD officers in the video got in major trouble and I just feel terrible about it,” he wrote. “It really is a great new way to connect to the community. It's the digital equivalent of an officer playing ball with some kids. I sincerely apologize for any headaches this may have caused. I meant no ill intent and I think the officers were great and should not be punished.”

As Bratton investigates whether his officers were playing the game, he said Pokémon Go players are putting themselves at risk by blindly going where the game takes them.

“(They are) being lured into certain neighborhoods that they have no knowledge of and subjecting themselves to potentially being victims of crimes, much the same way as people trying to buy things of Craigslist,” Bratton said. “Secondly, the constant peering down at their devices as they go walking around looking for — I guess it's Pokémon they're looking for, that's something like the Tooth Fairy, I guess — they're putting themselves at risk of accidents.”

On Wednesday, the NYPD distributed Pokémon Go safety tips on Twitter, warning players to be aware of his surroundings, stay alert and play in pairs.

More: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-investigating-cops-played-pokemon-on-duty-article-1.2711895 (via Gawker, GoNintendo)

-

Yelp - Catch 'Em All with Yelp's New PokeStop Filter

2016-07-14-2-169x300.png

Good news to all you Pokémon trainers out there: we know you want to be the very best (like no one ever was), so today we’re launching a new feature and search filter to better help you catch ‘em all. We know you’re going to Diglett.

As you head into a weekend full of wild Zubats and Charmanders, remember to open up your Yelp app or search Yelp.com for businesses with a nearby PokéStop. To do this on mobile or desktop, simply search for a type of local business (“bars,” “restaurants,” etc.), swipe through the filter options at the top, hit “PokéStop Nearby,” and voilà! You can now find places to simultaneously run errands AND stock up on materials needed to catch that Eevee you’ve been eyeing.

More: https://www.yelpblog.com/2016/07/catch-em-yelps-new-pokestop-filter (via GoNintendo)

--

Military bases warning soldiers about Pokemon GO play

“With the new Pokémon Go game app going viral, including many active duty military and civilian employees actively playing the game, it is important to understand the personnel risks and security issues this game could pose.

- When driving, please remain vigilant and watch for people possibly playing the game on their cell phones and not paying attention to where they are walking. This is especially important on local roads, parking lots, and near buildings.

- Do not play the game on board the installation (other than in housing or other unrestricted areas) if it requires the player to use their cell phone camera; camera use is not approved in certain areas without written permission.

- If Security finds you using your cell phone cameras on board an installation (other than in housing or approved areas), including to play Pokémon Go, you could face administrative or disciplinary actions.

- Do not play the game at or near installation entry control points as this poses a security issue.

- If you play the game off installation, be especially careful of Pokémon Go “lures.” Travel to “lure” locations with 2 or more people. Check your surroundings. Avoid abandoned or unlit areas.

More: http://kotaku.com/remember-troops-be-careful-with-pokemon-go-1783721745 (via GoNintendo)

--

Pet shelters using Pokemon GO to bring in dog walkers

#PokemonGO #Dogs #CatchEmAll #AdoptEmAll pic.twitter.com/b5H66tnGSO
— Muncie AnimalShelter (@MuncieShelter) July 12, 2016

One of the best uses of Pokemon GO yet. Come in and walk a real-life dog without a home, grab some Pokemon while you're at it. It's the best of both worlds!
(via GoNintendo)

darscot

Sounds like Cops doing a little PR with the public, they will probable get shit for it. Step in the right direction if you ask me

Dishwalla

Banned
There's been tons of people playing the game on Naval Station Norfolk, and there are several PokeStops and gyms around. First I've heard of this warning though.

Hagi

The dog walking things sounds cool, I'd totally be up for doing that if we had a local shelter here.

I'm pretty sure the cops at the station down the street from me are playing. The art out front is a gym, and every time blue or yellow tips it over, it's back to red in an hour by the same two moderately low-level players - but only during swing shift.

Doesn't bother me. Especially because I go sit out there to train it up whenever they retake it~

Palmer_v1

Community outreach is probably one of the duties a cop on foot patrol is expected to engage in. As long as these guys aren't neglecting anything more urgent, let them play some Pokemon Go and share a common interest with the people around them. Humanizes the cops, and hopefully gets them to interact in a friendly way with people they might not have otherwise.

I saw a policeman on duty playing pokemon Go a couple days ago in my town. He was just patrolling a few pokestops that had a crowd of near 100 people. If shit went down its not like he would ignore it, but while he make continues to keep the peace why not play pokemon Go with the rest of the crowd?

Volimar

If these police get in trouble for interacting with the community over pokemon of all things....I just...I give up.

To be fair, I could understand police having the app installed and actively using it on the job. Even if it was only to know where all the stops were so that they could bolster security.

Volimar

To be fair, I could understand police having the app installed and actively using it on the job if only so that they can see where all the stops are located so that they will know what the high profile locations to look out for would be

The post office worker at my post office told me that there are carriers and delivery people getting the most out of the game. Think of the interruption to the tedium of people's daily lives.

DON'T DRIVE AND MONGO.

Maz

I love hearing and reading about these stories. Even the reaction of the police with pokemon, I feel like a kid again with my face glued to a gameboy. Between this and the NES mini Nintendo should pat themselves in the back. Religious nuts where I'm around are saying pokemon is the instrument of the devil, almost 20 years and nothing changed. I love it

Moppeh

Banned
As a guy who has yet to download Pokemon Go, this shit is blowing my mind. This is like The Beatles of phone apps.

The way this fucking app has permeated society makes me excited for a new Black Mirror episode that rips it to shreds. I can imagine it being about a group of people witnessing a murder but nobody helping because they're busy trying to catch a Not!Pikachu next to the victim.

v1lla21

My city's public transportation agency is setting up lure modules at one of the transit centers. If you post pictures of you capturing or finding mons while taking the bus or light rail and tag the agency you get the chance to win 25 bucks. Lol.

If an of yall are in San Jose VTA is setting up lure modules at the transit center at the great mall.

What part of the theme song is that? I can't tell at all from the distortion. Is the very start?

This is so much bigger than 20 years ago. It was mostly just children then, now practically EVERYONE is playing.

The children that played it twenty years ago are just in bigger bodies now.

Darryl

Banned
The way this fucking app has permeated society makes me excited for a new Black Mirror episode that rips it to shreds. I can imagine it being about a group of people witnessing a murder but nobody helping because they're busy trying to catch a Not!Pikachu next to the victim.

it's the exact opposite situation tho. ppl don't care about the Pokemon anywhere near as much as they care about playing it with other people. ppl would likely over report crime since their mind is in the moment

The children that played it twenty years ago are just in bigger bodies now.

Exactly my point. They're playing, people who grew up with the subsequent games in the 20 years since are playing, children are playing and even people just curious about why everyone else is playing are playing.

That's why this eclipses Pokemon of even 20 years ago.

Zips

I am surprised by the popularity this app has achieved, and the impact it has had within something like a week of it coming out. People at my work that don't even play games have been talking about it the last few days, and a few people in the office have downloaded it despite it not even being officially released here.

I don't know that much about the game myself, but I wonder what there is in it to really hold people's attention and get them to continue playing it. Are there goals aside from levelling up in some form, and controlling the designated gym locations?

Markoman

Not quite related to OT, but I'm ready to get some meaty crow served to me.
I was one of those constantly saying how irrelevant Nintendo has become and here they are with another social phenomenon. I've seen at least 3 reports on German TV including one about police stopping drivers who were hunting Pokemon while driving their car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom