• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good

lmbotiva

i was just watching a video posted by easy allies and they mentioned the pc version is really not taking advantage of anything pc has to offer, it's a straight console port, being handled but a third party dev, the dev was not mentioned, info about the PC version is only the first 5 minutes of the video, no spoilers on those 5 minutes as far as i can tell, i hope we get at least a good performing game ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXwJrmQMP9g

I do remember the DC of HR running like complete garbage. The way I understood it, the PC version of the DC released with the same game version as the original game without patching. It's a stuttering mess.

Zemm

Deus Ex: HR wasn't much of a looker and outside of the loading times (which were patched quickly) the port was great since it was done by Nixxes. If it's not being done by them this time then that's disappointing.

CHC

If the third party is Nixxes I doubt there is anything to worry about, HR was pretty good on PC. Except for the Director's Cut which introduced a bunch of shitty tech issues at the last minute and then never fixed them. Neither was a disaster though.

I'll wait and see on this one before getting myself all worked up - I'm not even really the kind of guy who minds "straight ports" as long as they have reasonable key bindings and are stable and functional.

Ein Bear

Nixxes may be a 'third party', but they're god tier. I wouldn't worry.

Edit: Haha damn. All in favour of making this a Nixxes appreciation thread?

Corpekata

Banned
I do remember the DC of HR running like complete garbage. The way I understood it, the PC version of the DC released with the same game version as the original game without patching. It's a stuttering mess.

The DC is garbage on PC but IIRC Nixxes didn't do it, not sure who did.

Zemm

Hmm watching the video and there's zero reason for anyone to be worried about this port. All they say is they thought it would look better and that it's being handled by a 3rd party. That 3rd party is going to be Nixxes who do excellent ports.

How did you come to the conclusion this port is not looking good?

they handled the the port for DE:HR and that was bad when it came out, it got fixed eventually, but not completely fixed

It wasn't bad at all, it had longer load times than it should have but they patched it within the first week.

tuxfool

Banned
It does have some features specific to the PC according to their presentation last year.

Also it is being handled by Nixxes. I'm not sure Easy Allies are a particularly reliable source when it comes to evaluation of PC features.

I wouldn't really be worried about the port, Nixxes has a good track record so unless the game runs like ass at launch then there's little reason.

Ash735

Human Revolution wasn't a brilliant example of graphics neither, I think people forget how stiff the animations for other characters were, the PC version last time had some great feature, especially the unique keyboard and mouse UI that was different from the controller/console style one. Replaying HR (not Director's Cut) there were issues with MSAA being locked out and SSAO not being that great, so as long as they're better this time around, it's already doing better than the previous game.

kadotsu

Banned
You buy PC versions for the performance boost and customizability. I have never seen anyone but insane people complain that a PC version needs to have extra effects. I also hate the notion that PC games need to "scale up".
It is also irritating to see the PC audience as only the high end crowd. A good PC port should be measured on how well it performs on older machines. A game that you can set to run well on a toaster is infinitely more impressive than some glorified benchmark that only runs on a $500 card with a $300 CPU.

Off topic but, what have you got against capitalization and periods? I know you know what capital letters are as you spared none of them in the game title, but, both your title and your body of text start with lowercase letters and end without a period.

To tie it in, here's hoping the developers don't overlook the finer details when porting the game to PC.

lmbotiva

Off topic but, what have you got against capitalization and periods? I know you know what capital letters are as you spared none of them in the game title, but, both your title and your body of text start with lowercase letters and end without a period.

To tie it in, here's hoping the developers don't overlook the finer details when porting the game to PC.
i got nothing againsT iT, but this is no GRAMMAR cLaSS

Huber didnt say it wasn't looking good. He just had concerns in some areas. Mainly movement was what bugged him. He also felt the game felt more designed for a game pad than the keyboard/mouse setup. And since he's a big fan from its PC roots it stood out. Also it sounds like it wasn't as stale of a build, but it's a preview event so it's hard to gauge that

Mechazawa

Not sure what I'm supposed to be concerned about with the PC here. "It looks like the console version." "The mouse and keyboard felt weird."

Uh, ok. Thanks for these hot impressions.

The DC is garbage on PC but IIRC Nixxes didn't do it, not sure who did.

DC is garbage for some people on PC. It's pretty much a scattershot luck of the draw, but I ran through it with none of the consistent stuttering issues people mentioned.

Which is funny because consistent stuttering was the exact issue I had when I played Human Revolution on my old GPU.

Edit:

Where is this coming from? If you watched the video, they got this info from a preview event and from talking to the producer. Seems legit to me.

We've known Nixxes has been handling this for a while. I assume they're bagging on Easy Allies for bringing up vague, non-helpful issues about the PC version.

Don't worry about it, Nixxes is doing it.

I love the Easy Allies and Huber is a great guy, but I'm not sure he was looking close enough for the differences to stand out. Additionally, the buggier state is simply because the game isn't done and Nixxes are working with an older version than the current in-dev console versions. It'll be fine.

I was initially somewhat caught off guard after his statements, but I think his biggest point of contension was that he thought the PC version would look more visually impressive in comparison to the console versions. Mouselook precision, 60fps, and being on the legacy platform is what matters to me at least.

bathsalts

Eh it's Nixxes, I'm not to concerned on the technical front even for those who dont have the hardware to brute force this thing. I can see some legit concern about the cover mechanics and shitty UI's optimized for a gamepad though. If I have to go in the ini and nuke mouse smoothing or whatever, so be it.

i got nothing againsT iT, but this is no GRAMMAR cLaSS

That's fair.

I'm just hoping the get the game right on the first try this go around. The fact a Director's Cut wad necessary to fix encounters in the first game was disappointing. This is one of the few great cyberpunk franchises in gaming so here's hoping it gets treated as such.

I hadn't really thought of it before but the comment made about a well-optimized PC entry being one that runs on everything is a pretty valid one.

But Nixxes. :(

I applied for a job at Nixxes, but sadly they couldn't the position I applied for anymore.

If the third party is Nixxes I doubt there is anything to worry about, HR was pretty good on PC. Except for the Director's Cut which introduced a bunch of shitty tech issues at the last minute and then never fixed them. Neither was a disaster though.

I'll wait and see on this one before getting myself all worked up - I'm not even really the kind of guy who minds "straight ports" as long as they have reasonable key bindings and are stable and functional.

Director's Cut wasn't done by Nixxes I think. It was a bit of a weird situation by being based on the Wii U version.

Durante

"The mouse and keyboard felt weird."
This one in particular is something that you really need to know the source for. In the past I remember some (particularly console-focused) publications mentioning "issues" with mouse/KB controls in games which controlled fantastically well.

Not that this is necessarily the case here, but I'd put much more stock in a report from someone whom I know to actually play games with m/kb routinely.

Nixxes are a very good studio and they did a very good job on Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PC.

They also did a great job with Hitman Absolution along with Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Top Bottom