• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good

The only human revolution issues I recall were a few bugs / start up issues, and the big issue was some disk reading / caching issues / slow loading due to the way the game was in only a few files or something. Directors Cut similarly had its own problems at launch but nothing major

Feral only did the Mac version

There was stuttering in HR at the start from memory. It was never unplayable but it wasn't perfect.

The reason I say the HR port was excellent though was because they actually added in a classic style PC interface to the game, an item bar, and made sure the game was good to play on PC. It was a lot more than just a straight port, even though there were some small technical rough edges on day one.

what exactly is supposed to be weird about the controls?

Yea I'm curious about that as well. Mouse acceleration? Key bindings or what? How can you say something like that while being completely vague, it's like they don't have any idea what they are talking about and lets hope this is the case.

When DS3 came out, several reviews went on the usual band wagoning route of how the game is unplayable with m&k and you absolutely need a controller which is totally BS, I finished the game just fine using only m&k after just a few adjustments.

Mivey

https://youtu.be/Pr6fSomQ09Y - 4:10 onwards

Cover control doesn't seem to have considered mouse and keyboard
It seems like you decide where to go next by chosing a 2D vector (which works well for a thumbstick obviously). Nixxes could change that to a more natural "point and click" version where you click on the cover you want and it determines the 2D direction from there. There would be some math involved, but not exactly rocket science for a team that has to know the game inside out anyway.

AP90

Hoping this ain't true, would be a real disappointment...

I'd still probably buy it though, need that Deus Ex fix

Nixxes is a god-tier port studio.

I wouldn't jump to too many doom and gloom conclusions based on a random offbeat comment in a youtube video.

These ppsts above.. I am looking forward to some Jensen goodness. I had purchased my 980ti last June just so I could play the Witcher 3, Mankind Divided (delayed =(* ) and Star Citizen at decent settings.

I am very thankful that I went with the 6gigs of VRAM route as 4 would have been dogging it..

Do we know roughly what sort of specs this will have?
I don't think the "official" recc specs etc have been released.

I think I'll be plenty fine at 2560x1440, just curious.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
At least what they did with RotTR PC port earlier this year? Identical PC and console version is not the norm.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC/Xbox One Graphics Comparison

In general the assets are generally similar at medium to high settings, they are the same game after all and were likely built to be scalable in the lower direction and not higher. For ROTTR, we're talking about certain graphical options that your not going to 'generally' see at a distance or just eyeballing from a screen without comparison shots(ROTTR was noticeable because everything at low looked significantly closer to 360 version than the XB1 game)

So this guy claiming that they looked the same just by looking at two non side by side versions strikes a strange tone.

*EDIT*

I mean, maybe the port is dreadful and/or the work put into extra PC features is minimal-to-none. I don't know. But having done this song and dance with pre-release press for fucking years now, beyond this generation of hardware, here's what I've learned.

1) Nixxes are one of if not the best PC porting studios around. They routinely go the extra mile to make ports both play and run suited to PC hardware, including UI, control, and graphical tweaks catered to the PC platform. I find it hard to believe the norm is no more.

2) Modern games in general make it difficult for the average person during quick glances to identify the differences between high end PC configs and current gen builds. Rarely if ever is it truly night and day upfront, simply because a lot of the high end PC shaders are still running on consoles thanks to more prolific shader compatibility supported by modern engines and console hardware. That is to say we're no longer in a place where, for most people, you can boot up the PC build running at max and it's loaded with incredibly obvious, comprehensive effects that instantly stand out above the console build. It's far more nuanced and about the details, rather than 'CONSOLE = NO REFLECTIONS, HOLY SHIT REFLECTIONS ON PC'. That age is over.

3) The press and people in general are terrible at spotting the above during events. Even now you'll get tons of posters here comparing PC footage with console builds of numerous games and claim they look the same. Sometimes forgivably because the differences, while there, are not pronounced. Sometimes ridiculously as people just don't see/care about insanely improved draw distance and asset quality. In anything, the press just notes the framerate is improved and that's about it.

4) Again, numerous times I've read reports about PC games controlling weird in press previews, then in practice there's actually nothing wrong with them at all.

So while yes the port might suck, until I'm seeing it with my own eyes, making my own tweaks, and playing on my setup, I don't really buy into off hand pre-release impressions of PC port quality. Rarely are they accurate, and to be honest in most cases where they truly suck the publisher has done a wonderful job manipulating and misleading PC gamers up until release.

Or that.

molnizzle

From that description this was clearly not a software problem, but a hardware problem.

Was a problem that only affected non-reference ASUS 570's and was eventually fixed (several months after launch) through an in-game patch. I also never had this issue in any other game, DX11 or DX9. So I dunno, seems more software to me.

But I agree, the fact that I couldn't find a clear answer and was dealing with nonsense like this during the supposed golden age of PC gaming is what motivated me to sell off my rig and go back to consoles.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
All I care about right now is system requirements / can I (or not) play the game at 1440p 60 max settings at all times.

DMiz

I don't think Huber was commenting on the quality of the port, so much as he was saying that the game is clearly not built from the ground up for the PC.

You can hear and see Bloodworth attempt to rationalize this argument during the video as well.

Regginator

I wasn't expecting a great PC port to begin with, a good port with good performance is all I can reasonably except.

By the way, Nixxes is developing the PC port (the same ones as DXHR, Tomb Raider 2013, etc.)

I don't think Huber was commenting on the quality of the port, so much as he was saying that the game is clearly not built from the ground up for the PC.

You can hear and see Bloodworth attempt to rationalize this argument during the video as well.

I think that's how DEHR was as well. Nixxes went above and beyond and made it feel like it was designed with PC in mind.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

So then why is that lumped in with the quality of the port in the OP? Yeah, its a port, that's why it was handed off to Nixxes. Its no secret. It generally has nothing to do with Nixxes's porting capabilities of which they are generally stellar.

My assumption is that the game's lead platform was PS4, and and the XB1 and PC versions are the ports.

I like how a bunch of people jumped down Huber's throat when they obviously haven't touched the game yet. You guys are so sure about something you haven't even played. Plus, what he said wasn't even all that bad, he expressed disappointment in it looking very similar to the PS4 version, who knows how these demo stations were set up, relax people.

I like how a bunch of people jumped down Huber's throat when they obviously haven't touched the game yet. You guys are so sure about something you haven't even played. Plus, what he said wasn't even all that bad, he expressed disappointment in it looking very similar to the PS4 version, who knows how these demo stations were set up, relax people.

Of course this happened. Hilarious seeing some of the responses in the thread. No one will know for sure until reviewers get their own copies.

Wasn't this game to be the DX12 poster child?

I have complete faith in Nixxes, but it seems like across the board they've downgraded the hell out of the gfx.

Still looks fun though.

I don't really trust Nixxes as much as most of the people in this thread. I've got a pretty good PC, and Rise of the Tomb Raider still has massive dips in certain areas. Not a very good port. And if I remember correctly, I faced a game-breaking bug in Deus Ex Human Revolution as well.

Also, please stop getting mad at EZA. It's embarrassing. They didn't say anything to warrant some of the replies in this thread.

brawly

I consider the 'messenger' in this case to be the OP, who for some reason saw fit to interpret minor and likely easily explained complaints toward an unfinished game, from people who aren't traditionally known for their technical analysis chops (not to say they're totally unqualified to speak on such subjects - but Digital Foundry this ain't), as evidence that the PC version 'is not looking good'.

This is 'the messenger spreading unconfirmed FUD with a bit too much confidence' if nothing else, considering OP's willingness to jump to conclusions based on... what, exactly?

a comment that an unfinished PC game doesn't have apparent and stark improvements over its console versions
a comment that the controls felt off
(both of which could be due to any number of factors separate from the actual quality of the port)
and a comment that there's bugs in a preview build

Consider these things, and then take another look at how OP chose to relay that information to us. Essentially, "based on this five minutes, it seems this port is a poor straight console port to PC by an unnamed third party developer, it's not looking good, I hope it runs decently for fucks sake". What do you think, FUD, or no FUD? Shit's like the telephone game...

Well if it was aimed towards the OP then that's fine, I don't think this was thread-worthy at all.

If it was aimed at EZA/Huber then just stop. Huber is so positive that it gets old sometimes. He'll go out of his way to point out the good in bad games. He'd never make something like this up and he's not a graphics snob either. So for him to even point this out it must have been significant at the event. How it'll turn out, who knows.

Regginator

I don't really trust Nixxes as much as most of the people in this thread. I've got a pretty good PC, and Rise of the Tomb Raider still has massive dips in certain areas. Not a very good port. And if I remember correctly, I faced a game-breaking bug in Deus Ex Human Revolution as well.

Same. I was experiencing a lot of frame-drops for particularly no reason at all in DXHR, both in the vanilla version and the Director's Cut. After a quick search and changing a certain 0 to a 1 (or the other way around) in the registry, it was buttery fluid. I have no idea about the theory behind it.

Though I have to admit some of their PC centric additions (like the quick slots), but to be fair at this point they should be included.

Cels

nixxes has a good track record, but not a perfect one.

lara croft and the temple of osiris was a terrible port on PC.
lara croft and the guardian of light had lots of performance issues on PS3.

but since the new deus ex is a big title they'll probably pay more attention to it than those two tomb raider spinoffs.

Braag

The third party dev is Nixxes, who have a pretty good track record.

If that is the case then there shouldn't be much to worry about. They also handled DE:HR port which had no issues. More recently they worked on PC version of RotTR which was great.

styl3s

LOL all Huber said was that he was disappointed it didn't look better than PS4 and that the mouse control didn't feel right (probably aim acceleration/smoothing or something like that). Also a mention of "more bugs", but of course they said it was just a preview build.

Don't know why there is mean spirited comments about Easy Allies here?
As stated before when people hear something they don't like they yell at the person saying it.

The third party dev is Nixxes, who have a pretty good track record.
Both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Thief had problems.

Regginator

nixxes has a good track record, but not a perfect one.

lara croft and the guardian of light had lots of performance issues on PS3.

but since the new deus ex is a big title they'll probably pay more attention to it than those two tomb raider spinoffs.

DXHR wasn't flawless as well. But seeing as how maybe Square didn't except it to do so well commercially and critically, and as a result didn't give Nixxes a bigger budget. But they can't do that now, DXMD is an AAA game and all versions should get the AAA polish (I know, easy to make a joke about that).

Durante

Was it? That's the second game I've played around its launch on PC mentioned in this thread that's supposed to have been "terrible", and the second time I don't know why.

But I agree, the fact that I couldn't find a clear answer and was dealing with nonsense like this during the supposed golden age of PC gaming is what motivated me to sell off my rig and go back to consoles.
If that made you happy then that's an excellent decision. PC gaming is not for everyone, and trying to make it for everyone would just make it worse.

molnizzle

If that made you happy then that's an excellent decision. PC gaming is not for everyone, and trying to make it for everyone would just make it worse.

Came back at start of this gen when certain AAA releases started to not even be optimized on console. Brute forcing with PC is the only way to play certain games at locked framerates with correct frame pacing, so I deal with it.

This Mankind Divided port sounds perfectly fine though, dumb thing to make a thread about until it's actually released.

All he said was "I played the PC version right next to somebody playing on PS4 and they looked the same".

I wouldn't say that implies that the PC version is "not looking good".

Cels

Was it? That's the second game I've played around its launch on PC mentioned in this thread that's supposed to have been "terrible", and the second time I don't know why.

solo the actual playing experience of playing the game is okay. game doesn't feel as optimized as it could be but it's still acceptable to me. at the time i was playing at 1080p with a 4690k and 280x and performance wasn't an issue.

the major issues for me were the bugs: i experienced two -- progress not being saved (even though the little saving icon shows in the corner) and bombs randomly disappearing for no reason. the save issue is the big one, and judging from steam forums it's still affecting some players.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/289690/discussions/1/617321352417012637/ (someone posting in february saying they lost their save to the bug)

online multiplayer was pretty bad, even after the Dec '14 patch, desync and just general lag issues. not "unplayable" but not an enjoyable experience either. https://steamcommunity.com/app/289690/discussions/1/617321352380143598/

haven't tried local multi, would imagine it's probably just similar to solo

Came back at start of this gen when certain AAA releases started to not even be optimized on console. Brute forcing with PC is the only way to play certain games at locked framerates with correct frame pacing, so I deal with it.

that actually happened two thirds of the way through last generation and several years of dealing with that shit is precisely why I never ever play multiplats on consoles anymore. I don't trust developers and publishers alike to prioritize a consistent and quality experience over unit-pushing grafix over the length of an entire console generation, so I'd rather be in control of that shit myself.

Durante

solo the actual playing experience of playing the game is okay. game doesn't feel as optimized as it could be but it's still acceptable to me. at the time i was playing at 1080p with a 4690k and 280x and performance wasn't an issue.
[...]
haven't tried local multi, would imagine it's probably just similar to solo
I see -- I played the entire game in local multiplayer, so that's probably why I don't recall anything being wrong with it.

It's like you shouldn't take Easy Allies seriously for in depth technical analysis. If only there was a dedicated group out there that did this. They could call themselves foundry or something. Alas.

Yeah, only if there was some digital place... some sort of metallurgy, workshop, forge?

Perhaps located on the European landmass with a distributed group of content producers and tech-interested persons?

But alas, Easy Allies is probably right! ^_^

patapuf

Same. I was experiencing a lot of frame-drops for particularly no reason at all in DXHR, both in the vanilla version and the Director's Cut. After a quick search and changing a certain 0 to a 1 (or the other way around) in the registry, it was buttery fluid. I have no idea about the theory behind it.

Though I have to admit some of their PC centric additions (like the quick slots), but to be fair at this point they should be included.

Including a PC centric UI is going the extra mile and very few studios bother to do it.

Some performance issues at launch can happen, it happens on consoles too. A PC version not being perfect is not the same as doing a bad port. As long as stuff is patched i don't mind as much.

Arklite

Can't say I'm worried about nixxes' final work. People stated Human Revolution PC had issues but I don't remember having any myself at launch, even the pre-release build that leaked over a month before its release ran well.

Regginator

Including a PC centric UI is going the extra mile and very few studios bother to do it.

Some performance issues at launch can happen, it happens on consoles too. A PC version not being perfect is not the same as doing a bad port. As long as stuff is patched i don't mind as much.

And I appreciate it a lot that Nixxes does that, but I hope they can find the time and budget to iron most of these faults out. For example, this PC footage at times has considerable visual glitches. Patches should be about, like the word says, putting bandages on little stuff, but these visual imperfections are rather large.

That being said, aside from some easily fixed stuttering in DXHR, Nixxes' balance is still in the positive for me, and I hope they can build on that.

GavinUK86

Weird thread. The PC version is being made by Nixxes so it'll be pretty great. It'll definitely have PC specific options too from what I've heard the devs say in various livestreams and behind the scenes videos. I wouldn't worry about it.

molnizzle

that actually happened two thirds of the way through last generation and several years of dealing with that shit is precisely why I never ever play multiplats on consoles anymore. I don't trust developers and publishers alike to prioritize a consistent and quality experience over unit-pushing grafix over the length of an entire console generation, so I'd rather be in control of that shit myself.

I'd rather the devs just do the work for me. Sadly that is becoming more and more rare.

Fishook

If you are PC gamer, there is always a risk multi format games will end up being bad ports. I have learned in order to play the AAA games at a decent level, you need to have a a fairly beefy pc and this has always been the case.

There are pros and cons of all systems, and for a lot of people I would not recommend pc gaming, due to the cost and hassle of it. Especially if you only bothered playing the lastest AAA titles,

Mifec

If you are PC gamer, there is always a risk multi format games will end up being bad ports. I have learned in order to play the AAA games at a decent level, you need to have a a fairly beefy pc and this has always been the case.

There are pros and cons of all systems, and for a lot of people I would not recommend pc gaming, due to the cost and hassle of it. Especially if you only bothered playing the lastest AAA titles,

For most of this gen an i3 and 750ti were outpreforming consoles, not in all multiplats but in a lot of them.

Grief.exe

When people make this assertion, they tend to be focusing on extreme outliers rather than the status quo.

Top Bottom