• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good

Some people like to attack the messenger when they don't like the message.

Only that's not what is happening here. The port is handled by a well known team that has handled well known ports. It would be easy to check that. But hey these guys. I mean if only we had some way of knowing the quality of Nixxes past work we would have an idea of what to expect.

This one in particular is something that you really need to know the source for. In the past I remember some (particularly console-focused) publications mentioning "issues" with mouse/KB controls in games which controlled fantastically well.

Not that this is necessarily the case here, but I'd put much more stock in a report from someone whom I know to actually play games with m/kb routinely.
For some context Huber is a huge Deus Ex fan. And played them on the PC with KB/M. I think a lot of this concern stems from it being in his mind a PC first franchise. Like doom, etc.

While Nixxes generally has a good track record, I don't have fond memories of DE:HR's launch.
Performance was a disaster, especially for the way it looked, even back then.

-MD-

While Nixxes generally has a good track record, I don't have fond memories of DE:HR's launch.

Yep, it was awful.

I'll stay wary of this port despite the love people in here have for the developer.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nixxes has a good track record but that doesn't mean they are perfect. Easy Allies also has a track record of going to extremes over things so I'm taking this with a grain of salt until another outlet can confirm.

Durante

Hmm, I played it on PC at launch and don't remember any technical issues at all.

I expect I'll run MD at 1440p and 60 FPS and be pretty happy with it :p

Hmm, I played it on PC at launch and don't remember any technical issues at all.

PC here too, but while I don't remember what card I ran back then, I do remember it being disappointing.
Might have just run like everything else back then, but the visuals were so disgusting relative to the performance delivered.

Don't know.

komplanen

Saw the threat title and literally thought to myself how it's just not possible if Nixxes handles the port. Glad to see so many people jumped in before me.

Only problem I ever had with DS:HR was the launch version had some mouse lag issues that were not sorted until a patch.

CHC

All I want is a non-scaling UI though... or a scaling UI? Actually realizing that I'm not sure what term to use here, haha....

But the Human Revolutuon UI was puny in 1440p - that's the thing I don't want.

Ullus

"The mouse and keyboard felt weird."

Could be latency from vsync, I know that's what usually mess it up for me.

It is also irritating to see the PC audience as only the high end crowd. A good PC port should be measured on how well it performs on older machines. A game that you can set to run well on a toaster is infinitely more impressive than some glorified benchmark that only runs on a $500 card with a $300 CPU.

I'd argue that both can be equally impressive. A game with high system requirements but also incredible lighting, effects, etc, is really cool, as is something like Portal 2 which generally looks great and will run on just about anything.

I think that part of the reason low end is getting ignored is because we've reached a point where if you haven't bought a computer specifically for gaming (or some other type of high end professional work), the chances of being able to run even a well-optimized XBO/PS4 port are pretty slim. Laptops these days are increasingly reliant on integrated graphics, and while Intel's recent efforts are impressive, there's just no way for it to run something like Deus Ex.

(Oh, and btw, Nixxes DOES tend to be pretty good about scalability. TR2013 runs surprisingly well on my Macbook Air.)

KJRS_1993

I happily put money towards the Easy Allies patron and love their content, but I don't think anyone would ever consider them a particularly "technical" channel. Better to just wait for Digital Foundry rather than get carried away.

Performance is obviously a big difference. I LOVED HR, but I'm taking the wait and see approach with this. Not only for port reasons, but the shit they pulled with "get it 4 days early if you pre-order now" garbage and then delayed the game seven months. The whole thing makes me feel it went through some type of development hell.

LewieP

It's not uncommon for preview builds to be a little out of date, I wouldn't be surprised if the extra features and functionality Nixxes are working on aren't entirely present in the preview build. I wouldn't get worried yet.

It could be a build from E3.

I remember playing the DXHR preview build on PC and it had crazy long load times that weren't present in the final game.

It's worth Huber having raised these concerns because it reflects his experience, but I don't think it should really set off the alarm bells given Nixxes's track record.

LOL all Huber said was that he was disappointed it didn't look better than PS4 and that the mouse control didn't feel right (probably aim acceleration/smoothing or something like that). Also a mention of "more bugs", but of course they said it was just a preview build.

Don't know why there is mean spirited comments about Easy Allies here?

DEHR was a fantastic PC port. Well worth a replay if you originally played on consoles.

I'm also currently playing the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider and it's also fantastic outside of a bug where I can't get overlays to work (steam version) .

I remember this. I wouldn't classify it as a disaster but there were problems and to their credit, Nixxes fixed them inside a week or so.

On topic, I'm confident Nixxes will do a good job with this port but they cannot for example create higher res assets on their own, so if they are mandated to maintain parity with the console versions then there's nothing they can do about that. So it's not a particularly controversial thing for this guy to say that it doesn't look better than the PS4 version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its nixxes. #1 they are going to do the best job they can possibly due under the circumstances put on them.

Number 2...if all your basing your statements on is the fact that the PC version doesn't automatically kill the console version dead with graphics, i think that's a false statement to make if you can scale the FPS, res, AA and literally everything else like normal.

Nixxes aren't in charge of the base assets, just the porting of the game to PC. So blaming the PC port itself seems disingenuous.

i was just watching a video posted by easy allies and they mentioned the pc version is really not taking advantage of anything pc has to offer, it's a straight console port, being handled but a third party dev, the dev was not mentioned

Wait, what? But Human Revolution was a great port, why didn't they get Nixx--

The third party dev is Nixxes, who have a pretty good track record.

--oh. Never mind.

I don't want to automatically discount Easy Allies' impressions here or anything, but I'm not going to worry about this just yet. Human Revolution and Tomb Raider were both quite good.

I'm only worried about this game using DX12 and being sponsored by AMD. I don't want to get shitty frame rates or turn down the settings because I have an Nvidia card. But they haven't had very good DX12 performance so far.

FirewalkR

I love it when a studio that only does ports (afaik) is getting all this recognition, which is deserved in my opinion.

How big are they anyway? They must be mostly programmers and some tech-oriented artists, since game designers and writers would not be in much, if any, demand. I'd like to see them try do something original. They sure seem to have the tech part of things covered up.

Isn't Nixxes well known for their 'not so good but will eventually good PC ports?'

I understand if the day 1 version is not too hot.

Social

I can't get a new graphics card until around october so I just hope it runs on the 750ti OC with some decent settings...

Oublieux

What was wrong with the port initially?

I bought it day one too, had a meh computer back then.

I liked the port of it overall and am a fan of the past ports Nixxes has done prior, but Deus Ex: HR did have some issues. Some transition areas had performance drops reducing FPS, microstuttering occurred for some people, and there were a few quests that were somewhat buggy. I never felt it marred my experience, but it was a slight nuisance when I experienced them.

Well I went and had a look at old patch notes and found these

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6127/

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6146/

These were patches that came out days after release but they do talk about not even being able to launch the game on some AMD hardware and crashes on Nvidia hardware. I also remember there was stuttering that was fixed in an update.

These issues might not have affected folks here but they are pretty severe for those who were unfortunate enough to face them.

At launch? Definitely not. It took almost a full two years for them to patch it to where it is now. I'm not talking about DC either.

Well I bought it in February 2012 and it was perfect for me so I don't know what "disaster" you're speaking about.

selo

Yeah, most Nixxes port that I've tried were pretty good, the only small exception (its not a terrible mess, but not the best) is Rise of the tomb raider, kind of stuttery.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
An unfinished PC port shows signs of not being finished.

Yeah, most Nixxes port that I've tried were pretty good, the only small exception (its not a terrible mess, but not the best) is Rise of the tomb raider, kind of stuttery.

The last few patches made that game really smooth tbh, DX12 mode runs really nice and eliminated stutter for me.

vocab

Horrible streaming of assets/a lot of stuttering randomly. Walk into a bathroom it would dip to the 20's, and every single time you would walk into that bathroom, it would still dip to 20's. The game was unplayable for a lot of people.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075294

70 page thread. There was an even longer thread on the edios forum.

I'm usually someone who can put up with some performance issues, but I bought the game on day 1, and had to wait over a year to actually play it.

Foffy

Banned
I just hope it's not whoever did the port of HITMAN to PC.

Doesn't it still have huge technical issues?

Nixxes porting it gives me a lot of confidence in their ability to provide a better version of whatever Edios provides them. Hopefully it's another good showing.

Jesus Christ. You were there were you?

I consider the 'messenger' in this case to be the OP, who for some reason saw fit to interpret minor and likely easily explained complaints toward an unfinished game, from people who aren't traditionally known for their technical analysis chops (not to say they're totally unqualified to speak on such subjects - but Digital Foundry this ain't), as evidence that the PC version 'is not looking good'.

This is 'the messenger spreading unconfirmed FUD with a bit too much confidence' if nothing else, considering OP's willingness to jump to conclusions based on... what, exactly?

a comment that an unfinished PC game doesn't have apparent and stark improvements over its console versions
a comment that the controls felt off
(both of which could be due to any number of factors separate from the actual quality of the port)
and a comment that there's bugs in a preview build

Consider these things, and then take another look at how OP chose to relay that information to us. Essentially, "based on this five minutes, it seems this port is a poor straight console port to PC by an unnamed third party developer, it's not looking good, I hope it runs decently for fucks sake". What do you think, FUD, or no FUD? Shit's like the telephone game...

Spaghetti

What exactly is made up?
The thread is titled "well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good", but what was actually said by Easy Allies is that:

- The PC version seemed to be identical side by side with the PS4 version when seen at a preview event

- It had more bugs than the console version (bare in mind Nixxes have more time to work on the game than Eidos Montreal because of shipping digitally/cert processes/etc)

- And the KB+M controls felt a little weird

So there's at least some conjecture happening from the OP there.

We likely won't know the true state of quality of the PC version until reviews or release.

The thread is titled "well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good", but what was actually said by Easy Allies is that:

- The PC version seemed to be identical side by side with the PS4 version when seen at a preview event

- It had more bugs than the console version (bare in mind Nixxes have more time to work on the game than Eidos Montreal because of shipping digitally/cert processes/etc)

- And the KB+M controls felt a little weird

So there's at least some conjecture happening from the OP there.

We likely won't know the true state of quality of the PC version until reviews or release.

Are you saying that identical side by side with PS4 version is not 'not looking good'?

Have you seen/heard how's KoeiTekmo PC ports are?

Yes, they're identical to console version. PC games should not.

Top Bottom