• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

well well, seems like DEUS EX: MD pc is not looking good

Are you saying that identical side by side with PS4 version is not 'not looking good'?

Have you seen/heard how's KoeiTekmo PC ports are?

Yes, they're identical to console version. PC games should not.

It's a good thing we have such an in-depth, detailed, and methodical objective technical analysis of the finished game to go on, so that we can make these sorts of judgements soundly.

I could have people thinking that all sorts of PC games look 'identical' to their PS4 counterparts, depending on the circumstances of the comparison. The circumstances of this particular comparison don't leave me feeling that calling the two versions 'identical' with real confidence is merited.

Mechazawa

Are you saying that identical side by side with PS4 version is not 'not looking good'?

?

Koei Tecmo games get shit on when they're identical to the PS3 versions of games when there are PS4 versions readily available. Or when they just run like shit.

It's a good thing we have such an in-depth and methodical objective technical analysis of the finished game to go on, so that we can make these sorts of judgements soundly.

OP title is 'seems like', it's indeed not a fact, it's just a concern. But why can't we discuss it?

?

Koie Tecmo games get shit on when they're identical to the PS3 versions of games when there are PS4 versions readily available. Or when they just run like shit.

I'm talking about the 1080p/30fps ports, like Type-0, Toukiden, and such. They're identical to PS4 version yet still getting bombed hard.

Mechazawa

I'm talking about the 1080p/30fps ports, like Type-0, Toukiden, and such. They're identical to PS4 version yet still getting bombed hard.

No one in their right mind would ever think Deus Ex is going to have a resolution/framerate lock. If Easy Allies were complaining about how Deus Ex looking like it's console version was "bad news" then they were clearly referring to the quality of the assets.

Furyous

That spoiler alert is huge.
Experimental augs is a game changer but I'm not sure everyone will be capable of using them properly at first. It's a good crutch for new players but I fully expect someone to speedrun a no aug, no takedown run through the game.

I'm coming from HR so the usual augs should hold me down through the game.

OP title is 'seems like', it's indeed not a fact, it's just a concern. But why can't we discuss it?

Would you care to read what I posted last page? I'll quote it here. We're discussing FUD:

I consider the 'messenger' in this case to be the OP, who for some reason saw fit to interpret minor and likely easily explained complaints toward an unfinished game, from people who aren't traditionally known for their technical analysis chops (not to say they're totally unqualified to speak on such subjects - but Digital Foundry this ain't), as evidence that the PC version 'is not looking good'.

This is 'the messenger spreading unconfirmed FUD with a bit too much confidence' if nothing else, considering OP's willingness to jump to conclusions based on... what, exactly?

a comment that an unfinished PC game doesn't have apparent and stark improvements over its console versions
a comment that the controls felt off
(both of which could be due to any number of factors separate from the actual quality of the port)
and a comment that there's bugs in a preview build

Consider these things, and then take another look at how OP chose to relay that information to us. Essentially, "based on this five minutes, it seems this port is a poor straight console port to PC by an unnamed third party developer, it's not looking good, I hope it runs decently for fucks sake". What do you think, FUD, or no FUD? Shit's like the telephone game...

...and the fact that you're making comparisons to Koei Tecmo PC ports of all things, right off the bat, could not be a more perfect example for why I consider this FUD to begin with. Your immediate reaction was to assume that 'identical' in this context meant something on the level of notoriously poor ports with framerate locks and very few options. When 'identical' in this context actually just means that Huber didn't discern large or immediately apparent differences between the two version's visual fidelity based on surface level observation. Worlds of difference. You can see that, right?

xVodevil

Nixxes, 1 month to go, day 1 big f'in patch....
I don't really see any problems here, unless dx12 sucks in the early days, or the 970 won't handle it as it should... but hey I'm the game, not the fancy graphics... hey I even get more hyped, by the minute... :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nixxes isn't bulletproof. Tomb Raider on ps4 has save game corruption bugs that were never fixed. Got through 2/3 of the game and had to start over.

Not sure why you guys are all up in arms. He's giving impressions and commentary based on his time with a prerelease version of the game.

molnizzle

DX:HR launch actually caused me to sell off all my PC components and go back to console gaming for the rest of the gen. There was a completely asinine bug that made certain non-reference 570's crash the game in DX11 mode after a couple of minutes. Eventually I discovered that I could mitigate the crashes by overvolting the GPU (which wasn't overclocked) but by that point I had already wasted a dozen hours troubleshooting and was done with it.

Had great experiences with Nixxes ports this gen though.

I'm also now super wary of non-reference GPU's and cringe a bit whenever someone on GAF says that the third party PCB's are always better. Nah, man.

No one in their right mind would ever think Deus Ex is going to have a resolution/framerate lock. If Easy Allies were complaining about how Deus Ex looking like it's console version was "bad news" then they were clearly referring to the quality of the assets.

Would you care to read what I posted last page? I'll quote it here. We're discussing FUD:

...and the fact that you're making comparisons to Koei Tecmo PC ports of all things, right off the bat, could not be a more perfect example for why I consider this FUD to begin with. Your immediate reaction was to assume that 'identical' in this context meant something on the level of notoriously poor ports with framerate locks and very few options. When 'identical' in this context actually just means that Huber didn't discern immediate large differences between the two version's visual fidelity based on a surface level observation. Worlds of difference. You can see that, right?

Well, I don't really get what FUD is. But mind you that I'm mostly a PC gamer myself, so if you're talking about conspiracy theories against PC gaming, then count me out as I'm not into that kind of thing. It's just that we have posted our examples of the not so good Nixxes ports in this thread. Yet we're still having this weird blind faith in Nixxes. It's just natural if some of us are worried about the port. My point is,I'm just being cautious.

I don't remember the performance, but DXHR on PC had a weird glitch at launch where if you moved diagonally (i.e. holding W and A or W and D) you'd move faster than if you were just going forwards. It let you move at normal speed while crouch-walking, which was pretty cool; it's almost a shame they patched it :p

SlickVic

Yeah I'd say Nixxes deserves some benefit of the doubt. Also some other factors to consider as Nixxes is working on the PC version separately we don't really know how recent the build was that they sent out for these preview events.

I'm glad to hear the PS4 version seems solid though. Still debating whether to play this on console vs an 860m laptop in terms of getting better performance.

Durante

I'm pretty sure this thread will be fun to link back to from the inevitable Digital Foundry thread.

DX:HR launch actually caused me to sell off all my PC components and go back to console gaming for the rest of the gen. There was a completely asinine bug that made certain non-reference 570's crash the game in DX11 mode after a couple of minutes. Eventually I discovered that I could mitigate the crashes by overvolting the GPU (which wasn't overclocked) but by that point I had already wasted a dozen hours troubleshooting and was done with it.
From that description this was clearly not a software problem, but a hardware problem.

You think MD will be resolution locked or 30 FPS locked? Seriously?

Eh. Nixxes is usually reliable to get a good port out eventually, but I can't always say I have the best experiences with them at launch. Human Revolution especially was a stuttering mess for a while, and would bug out missions several times forcing me to reload my save. The latter is probably more the fault of the base game's dev than a putting studio though.

Either way, after listening to the source, this thread may be jumping the gun a bit.

You think MD will be resolution locked or 30 FPS locked? Seriously?

Of course not, I'd even say it'll be imposible. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that KT port comparison, as my intention is to point out the 'looks identical' part of the article, and we should not be fine with that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Of course not, I'd even say it'll be imposible. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that KT port comparison, as my intention is to point out the 'looks identical' part of the article, and we should not be fine with that.

So your only point of contention is the reference that the PS4 version and the PC version looked the same or similar? So what exactly was this guy claiming he was supposed to see that would make the PC version a generation ahead of the PS4 version in general or make it look non identical?

What is Nixxes supposed to do about that to not make the game's port bad?

We know Nixxes is not going to arbitrarily lock the framerate, or lock the res, or not have AA solutions or whatever concern trolls will come up with. What more would you want in general? It just sounds like a stupid request to make when its still obviously just a port just like ROTTR to PS4 and PC, and even the original 2013 TR ports Nixxes did to PC and PS3(and the PS4 def edition)

There is only so much nixxes can add.

Famassu

This is a pretty good looking game on consoles already, does the PC version have to be anything more than a "straight port" that people with good enough PCs have the option of running in higher resolution with better framerate, AA, AF etc.? Maybe some slightly improved VFX.

Spaghetti

I didn't say anything, as I was only providing a summary of what Easy Allies said.

It's a preview build, and as far as I'm aware we don't know what settings the PC version was on. Additionally, there's a good chance Huber couldn't eyeball actual subtle graphical differences if they were present in the preview.

All I was saying is that OP added their own conjecture about someone else's impressions of a preview build of a game that's a month away.

So your only point of contention is the reference that the PS4 version and the PC version looked the same or similar? So what exactly was this guy claiming he was supposed to see that would make the PC version a generation ahead of the PS4 version in general or make it look non identical?

What is Nixxes supposed to do about that to not make the game's port bad?

We know Nixxes is not going to arbitrarily lock the framerate, or lock the res, or not have AA solutions or whatever concern trolls will come up with. What more would you want in general? It just sounds like a stupid request to make when its still obviously just a port just like ROTTR to PS4 and PC, and even the original 2013 TR ports Nixxes did to PC and PS3(and the PS4 def edition)

There is only so much nixxes can add.

At least what they did with RotTR PC port earlier this year? Identical PC and console version is not the norm.
graphics_settings_complete.jpg
Rise of the Tomb Raider PC/Xbox One Graphics Comparison

Tacitus_

Why not? The only difference I expect for ports is support for arbitrary resolutions and unlocked framerates. I don't expect them to pile on more effects.

Mivey

I can see graphical effects on the PC version that the PS4 does not have... so this is wrong.
It's like you shouldn't take Easy Allies seriously for in depth technical analysis. If only there was a dedicated group out there that did this. They could call themselves foundry or something. Alas.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I mean, maybe the port is dreadful and/or the work put into extra PC features is minimal-to-none. I don't know. But having done this song and dance with pre-release press for fucking years now, beyond this generation of hardware, here's what I've learned.

1) Nixxes are one of if not the best PC porting studios around. They routinely go the extra mile to make ports both play and run suited to PC hardware, including UI, control, and graphical tweaks catered to the PC platform. I find it hard to believe the norm is no more.

2) Modern games in general make it difficult for the average person during quick glances to identify the differences between high end PC configs and current gen builds. Rarely if ever is it truly night and day upfront, simply because a lot of the high end PC shaders are still running on consoles thanks to more prolific shader compatibility supported by modern engines and console hardware. That is to say we're no longer in a place where, for most people, you can boot up the PC build running at max and it's loaded with incredibly obvious, comprehensive effects that instantly stand out above the console build. It's far more nuanced and about the details, rather than 'CONSOLE = NO REFLECTIONS, HOLY SHIT REFLECTIONS ON PC'. That age is over.

3) The press and people in general are terrible at spotting the above during events. Even now you'll get tons of posters here comparing PC footage with console builds of numerous games and claim they look the same. Sometimes forgivably because the differences, while there, are not pronounced. Sometimes ridiculously as people just don't see/care about insanely improved draw distance and asset quality. In anything, the press just notes the framerate is improved and that's about it.

4) Again, numerous times I've read reports about PC games controlling weird in press previews, then in practice there's actually nothing wrong with them at all.

So while yes the port might suck, until I'm seeing it with my own eyes, making my own tweaks, and playing on my setup, I don't really buy into off hand pre-release impressions of PC port quality. Rarely are they accurate, and to be honest in most cases where they truly suck the publisher has done a wonderful job manipulating and misleading PC gamers up until release.

MaxLevel

Neo Member
Hmm watching the video and there's zero reason for anyone to be worried about this port. All they say is they thought it would look better and that it's being handled by a 3rd party. That 3rd party is going to be Nixxes who do excellent ports.

How did you come to the conclusion this port is not looking good?

This. They did not say anything that makes me worry about the PC version.

EDIT: Also they are gushing over Deus Ex: Mankind Divided quite a lot. So if anything this makes me want to buy the game.

Durante

I mean, maybe the port is dreadful and/or the work put into extra PC features is minimal-to-none. I don't know. But having done this song and dance with pre-release press for fucking years now, beyond this generation of hardware, here's what I've learned.

1) Nixxes are one of if not the best PC porting studios around. They routinely go the extra mile to make ports both play and run suited to PC hardware, including UI, control, and graphical tweaks catered to the PC platform. I find it hard to believe the norm is no more.

2) Modern games in general make it difficult for the average person during quick glances to identify the differences between high end PC configs and current gen builds. Rarely if ever is it truly night and day upfront, simply because a lot of the high end PC shaders are still running on consoles thanks to more prolific shader compatibility supported by modern engines and console hardware. That is to say we're no longer in a place where, for most people, you can boot up the PC build running at max and it's loaded with incredibly obvious, comprehensive effects that instantly stand out above the console build. It's far more nuanced and about the details, rather than 'CONSOLE = NO REFLECTIONS, HOLY SHIT REFLECTIONS ON PC'. That age is over.

3) The press and people in general are terrible at spotting the above during events. Even now you'll get tons of posters here comparing PC footage with console builds of numerous games and claim they look the same. Sometimes forgivably because the differences, while there, are not pronounced. Sometimes ridiculously as people just don't see/care about insanely improved draw distance and asset quality. In anything, the press just notes the framerate is improved and that's about it.

4) Again, numerous times I've read reports about PC games controlling weird in press previews, then in practice there's actually nothing wrong with them at all.

So while yes the port might suck, until I'm seeing it with my own eyes, making my own tweaks, and playing on my setup, I don't really buy into off hand pre-release impressions of PC port quality. Rarely are they accurate, and to be honest in most cases where they truly suck the publisher has done a wonderful job manipulating and misleading PC gamers up until release.
Well said.

Nzyme32

I already brought this up in the Steam thread after the PCgamer video talked about framerate issues and complained of the poor in cover controls that seem controller driven. (Oddly their article ignores these)

However there was no mention that the PC version is a straight port with nothing else, and this runs contrary to the previous presentation that claims otherwise. PC gamer decided to "give the benefit of the doubt" to the devs for now after talking to the folks there. Since it is Nixxies, I'm inclined to agree for now.

Still always good to be cautious

Kayhan

Wasn't it the same deal with Human Revolution?

And I have seen some great looking screenshots from the PC version posted here on NeoGAF over the years.

Nzyme32

Wasn't it the same deal with Human Revolution?

And I have seen some great looking screenshots from the PC version posted here on NeoGAF over the years.

The only human revolution issues I recall were a few bugs / start up issues, and the big issue was some disk reading / caching issues / slow loading due to the way the game was in only a few files or something. Directors Cut similarly had its own problems at launch but nothing major

So who is wrong here?

Feral only did the Mac version

Top Bottom