• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 372.54 drivers are bugged (video, games, textures, etc)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
At least for me they are, so consider this a PSA if anybody else is noticing odd rendering behaviour after driver upgrade.

Long story short: bought a 1080, love it, updated drivers from 368.81 to 372.54 in preparation for Mankind Divided. All of a sudden noticed a multitude of serious rendering issues. After a tiny meltdown of concern that my 1080 was fucked and needed to be returned, I tried rolling back the drivers. Low and behold; issues be gone.

The best way to describe the issue is texture/shader rendering artefacts commonly resembling corrupted VRAM and hardware faulted rendering issues. Easy enough to replicate, though widely inconsistent in regularity.

For me they were immediately prevalent in three areas:
1) Pixel flicker distortion on video (eg: YouTube, Facebook, FMV). Irregular in the sense that resetting a video may fix the issue, but easy enough to replicate over and over.
2) Frame edge SSAO artefacts in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, resembling number/text/error overlays. Somewhat difficult to replicate consistently.
3) AO and texture errors in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, AO blooming as black smudge and some textures distorting not unlike the aforementioned MEC issue. Easily triggered by opening a menu (main, inventory, quick selection wheel, etc) and returning to play. Usually fixed by moving the camera, sometimes requires restart.

See examples of 1) and 3) below. I am yet to replicate any of this issues by rolling back my drivers to 368.81. The Deus Ex one in particular was 100% guaranteed over and over.

gputtswj.gif

driv1vlsq6.jpg

driv2dus36.jpg

I had the same issue like the 2nd picture with DE:MD.
Everything got black, and the game crashed afterwards, I wonder what nVidia is doing...

I don't have these issues, using this driver version and a 980 Ti. Although could this be related to the crashing problem in many parts of Mankind Divided?

wazoo

I have black squares on screen in ROTR, which is not related to the game (happened after 25 hours of ok gaming). I had to disable bloom.

Chao

You would think that they tested these things before releasing them. One of the main reasons why I don't game on of anymore going driver updates were a constant source of fear and stress

Mifec

I had no issues playing anything with them but my 780ti died to the point of my PC not even posting until I took it out during a Mankind Divided session.(works fine with my friends GPU) Doubt drivers could cause such catastrophic failure though.

Up to now I've had no issues playing with them, no signs or artifacting or anything on my 1080 MSI armour edition. Seems like the issues could either be related to specific games or specific models of the graphics card, like founders edition or others.
Should note btw that Nvidia really need to step up testing their drivers before they release them in the first place.

Koeta

I have been using them with no issue yet, but I'm in the group who hates how they feel the need to Rush out drivers for big game releases and not fully test them before hand.

Only reason I'm even on the latest is because I just upgraded to a 1070 so figured I would go for the latest.

Evo X

Had zero issues with these drivers on my Pascal Titan X.

Any reason why I would be immune if it is supposed to affect all 10 series cards? Maybe it is bringing out unstable overclocks?

Jas

That sucks, I've only played Diablo 3 with them and haven't noticed any issues (980 TI)

Any chance they will release a new driver this week for the Battlefield beta?

Kudo

I had this happen to me once
Apparently some other people with Firefox and 372.54 have encountered it so I assume it's driver issue too. Scared the shit out of me anyway.

TheRed

Weird I've been perfectly fine on my 1080. And I have been playing a ton of Mankind Divided and haven't had any issues, my experience has been perfect.

That sucks, I have had problems with other drivers in the past few months so I know how it feels.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Apparently some other people with Firefox and 372.54 have encountered it so I assume it's driver issue too. Scared the shit out of me anyway.

what website? is that youtube? i'm not having any problems with firefox using it.

kami_sama

I would've shit my pants if I didn't know it was due to a driver. These images look too close to a dying gpu.

ALso, no issue here, 1070 and Windows 10 anniversary.

Kudo

what website? is that youtube? i'm not having any problems with firefox using it.

It only happened once last week, and yes it's Youtube.
Some other people got it on Imgur and Reddit, some weird issue in the latest drivers with Firefox, completely random.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
Wargame: red dragon has issues too with the new driver missing tree and vegetation.

Nvidia drivers for the last year worse than ever.

bee

yeah these drivers were terrible for me also, had 3 hard lock ups with them, gsync stopped working sometimes, went back to 368.81 and all's fine again

this is on win 10 with no anniversary update

To the people not having issues, are you on the Windows 10 Anniversary update?
No issues here. Windows 10 x64 Pro Anniversary.

GPU's a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970.
Everything working properly with no issues (Dark Souls III, DE:Mankind Divided, Overwatch...).
Seems it's limited to Pascal? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steel

Banned
Didn't notice any graphical bugs with it myself(I'm bad at noticing that type of thing, though), but I did get a bunch of driver crashes for no good reason(sometimes even while just watching youtube) after downloading it, reverting to an older driver fixed the problem.

EVGA 970 here.

sertopico

I noticed some textures/shaders flashing issue in GTA V as well, especially when light condition changes (i.e. getting outside a building). Reverting back to the previous release fixed it. I am using Win 10 AE and a 980ti.

tioslash

Lots of issues with this driver here too. Rolled back to 368.81. GTX970 / Win10 Anniversary Update installed.

Koeta

To the people not having issues, are you on the Windows 10 Anniversary update?

Yep 64 bit, been playing a lot of Overwatch, Final Fantasy XIV and League of Legends with no issues at all so far.

EVGA 1070 FTW, no overclocks

Has anyone who had these issues checked temps? what were you running at when this stuff happened?

I always dodge these things as I'm terrible at updating my drivers in a timely manner. I'm on drivers from February. Was going to update once, but those drivers were apparently also bad. Then I forgot about it. As long as games still work and run fine, as long as this doesn't happen, it's like...eh.
Battlefield 1 Beta said:
Please update your NVIDIA GeForce driver
The required driver version is 368.39 or later.
Well I guess it's about that time then.

ryousuke

I had that problem once in Deus Ex, when I disabled/enabled Volumetric light while playing.

Some weird thing in Star Citizen too, but that may be the game itself. Other than that, it's running fine.

ViciousDS

Banned
AMD driver support might be slow, but at least they don’t brick your computer every other release.

Reading AMD driver support.....I think the greatest fucking thing about it.....KNOWN ISSUES listed on the driver page. I like the upfront and transparency of the issues when they get known and added to the page.

But NVIDIA drivers' lately have been insanely hit or miss. I have a 1060 which I will probably now sell off despite losing a minor fps advantage over the likes of the nitro x.....but I'm not overly happy with the card despite its performance. I have had nothing but issues with the thing and the driver luck has been bugging me lately. I wouldn't doubt if half of it is Anniversary update.....that caused every blizzard game to go on the fritz initally.....that wasn't fun

Widge

HDR option on Oblivion rendered a black screen but with UI on 1060. Bloom was fine. Could be the game though as I know there was some NVidia weirdness when it came out.

Nabs

These drivers are even a problem for really old cards (660ti). I lost about 20-30fps on certain maps in Black Ops 3 (Nuketown especially). I just rolled back and everything runs smoothly now.

Nvidia have been very poor for the last 12 months. Hit and miss repeatedly.

I'm at the point where I don't dare touch a new driver for at least 2 months after release until I'm sure it either works or its shit-ness has been fully documented and fixed.

Get it together Nvidia.

What's going on with Nvidia lately? I couldn't even load Overwatch beta with my 950 before I sold it. Just got a black screen after repeatedly trying to troubleshoot it. That incidentally was the last game I tried to play on it.

Lurch666

I got this yesterday as well on youtube.hasn't happened since but it's nice to know it's drivers and not my PC.

Top Bottom