• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 372.54 drivers are bugged (video, games, textures, etc)

dr_rus

I have a 1080 running Windows 10 anniversary edition. DX:MD is fine for me but with the buggy driver in Fallout 4 the Pip-Boy is mostly blacked out and difficult or impossible to read.

This is fixed in today driver release. Also fixed are some SD video artifacting - probably what is shown in the OP?

Also fixed a shadow update bug in Infinite Warfare on my GTX 980 setup, which was nice as I didn't have to report it to NVIDIA and make them a micro build to repro :p.

Popsickles

You think that's bad the latest AMD drivers for the Rx480 470 and 460 are buggy as hell with GPU running at 100% after using sleep, fans not running at all with cards over heating, white screens ect

NeOak

Did you install the drivers with custom->clean install btw? This is a branch change driver (R367->R372) and in this case it's always better to kill off all the remains of the previous driver. Some people use DDU for that, I just do a clean install option.

There should be absolutely 0 need to do that. At all.

Stevey

Express installed the new drivers through GeForce Experience like I do with every driver since the program launched.

Zero issues as usual.

NeOak

Old settings may interfere with new branch, so there is a reason to do that and in fact I'm doing this all the time. Never had 99% of the bugs which people usually report. Go figure.

100% of people expect the thing to work without requiring a driver exorcism. Doesn't matter what company it is.

I didn't have any noticeable issues with these drivers but I've only really been playing GTA V, MGSV, Mafia II and LoH:TitS. I have noticed since maybe a couple main releases before that it seems the frequency my 970 SSC runs at bounces around more than it use to before the Pascal updates started coming out regardless of the power setting.

dr_rus

100% of people expect the thing to work without requiring a driver exorcism. Doesn't matter what company it is.

Using your head is hardly exorcism and if something like this seems too complex for you then you should probably keep to console gaming.

AP90

After the 372.54 drivers I had installed..

When I ran timespy (DX12 benchmark), my 980ti was going/is going haywire at stock settings... Aka it will artifact, pixelate, screen will go black and come back and still run and complete the benchmark with a validation and am actual decent score.

Edit:
Win10 pro with anniversary update
Other games run fine. Once or twice running Deus Ex My screen went blank, could still here sound and etc. Could not window out or recover. Had to hard reboot, then things were fine.

Dumb question..

Why do they keep updating drivers? Why can't they just release one functional driver for each graphics card, then call it a day?

dr_rus

Dumb question..

Why do they keep updating drivers? Why can't they just release one functional driver for each graphics card, then call it a day?

There's always room for improvement and new features. 90% of these improvements would actually work on a wide range of cards, not on one of them. So they update the drivers.

JordanKZ

Dumb question..

Games, and their engines keep changing. They're not static. New drivers are generally designed around this.

(And sometimes for planned obsolescence...)

jediyoshi

Dumb question..

Some reading if you're interested in the nature of GPU/software dev relationships

The first lesson is: Nearly every game ships broken. We're talking major AAA titles from vendors who are everyday names in the industry. In some cases, we're talking about blatant violations of API rules - one D3D9 game never even called BeginFrame/EndFrame. Some are mistakes or oversights - one shipped bad shaders that heavily impacted performance on NV drivers. These things were day to day occurrences that went into a bug tracker. Then somebody would go in, find out what the game screwed up, and patch the driver to deal with it. There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games - up to and including total replacement of the shipping shaders with custom versions by the driver team. Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA? There you go.

Full post here http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

Lazulic

When I updated to the most recent drivers, I experienced the random screen flickering detailed in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupyvzrhwZI

I immediately rolled back drivers, and no longer have the issue.

EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
ROG Swift PG278Q

Perhaps it is something with high refresh monitors and/or G-sync.
have this problem as well, dual monitors and only seems to happen on the 144hz one (VG248QE). doesnt happen in game, cant tell what triggers it otherwise
have an EVGA 1070 FTW

Jedi2016

I've had the 372 for a couple weeks now, no problems. These days I always do a clean install, and regardless of what the driver or Experience might say, reboot when you're done updating. I had the 144Hz screen-flickering right after the update, but a reboot fixed it right up and it hasn't shown up since.

They are if you want to play New Vegas or Fallout 3.

Even Oblivion isn't safe, I've noticed. Both of the WHQL 372 drivers seem to be broken in Oblivion, and I was having a blast playing them... so I guess I'm stuck at 368 if I need to play Oblivion for the time being. (My desktop will be running 372 anyway as I need to play the BF1 beta.)

Dumb question..

IMO, the best technique is - don't update your driver unless you have an issue OR the game you're playing is newer than the driver you currently have.

I have black squares on screen in ROTR, which is not related to the game (happened after 25 hours of ok gaming). I had to disable bloom.

I've started seeing this on Rise of the Tomb Raider as well on 372.54 with my new 1070. The game was running perfectly fine up until I got to the
valley village
place and then I started getting black squares in game and weird artifacts during a cutscene. Turning off bloom does fix the squares but it can give me strange colours instead.

Really hoping that is the driver's fault and not my graphics card since I just bought it.

I'll maybe try the new drivers but I am overclocking the card and people are saying it crashes it so...

372.70 are still fucked. Brand new 1070, can't even boot up 3dmark without it crashing either instantly or a few seconds after starting. Overwatch crashes after a few minutes too.

Rolled back my drivers.

Now 3dmark will either crash instantly, or chug along and never go above 30C and throttles itself there.

What the fuck.

dr_rus

I've started seeing this on Rise of the Tomb Raider as well on 372.54 with my new 1070. The game was running perfectly fine up until I got to the
valley village
place and then I started getting black squares in game and weird artifacts during a cutscene. Turning off bloom does fix the squares but it can give me strange colours instead.

Really hoping that is the driver's fault and not my graphics card since I just bought it.

I'll maybe try the new drivers but I am overclocking the card and people are saying it crashes it so...

Rule is: if that's the only game where you see this then it's not the h/w.

W1SSY

As others have stated, I had an issue with my 1070 and dual monitors. The 144Hz was flickering while the 60Hz was fine. Did a rollback and the problem is gone.

I've been playing Deus EX MD on and off since it was released on my GTX 1070.

I updated to Geforce 372.70 this morning.

This is the first time I got this issue. (This is using 3xMonitors in Nvidia Surround @ 60hz)

XwgzyEt.jpg

Kudo

Just built my PC with my Asus Strix 1070 OC, and the default driver is 369.09, should I hold off on updating for now?

I had some issues with that driver too, it's the one you get from Windows Update right? Probably try your luck with newest or rollback to whatever people use.
Yet to have issues with 372.70, but I could be just lucky.

latest drivers, causing my graphics card to drop out whilst watching netflix for 10/15 minutes.

Makes the windows noise for device removed, then noise for device inserted, then all i see is black screen with my mouse on it. trying to run taskmgr does nothing, nor does ctrl/alt/delete.

Gonna roll back tonight and hope that it's a driver issue

Where can I pull a crash report from?

Top Bottom