• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 372.54 drivers are bugged (video, games, textures, etc)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I had this happen to me once

Apparently some other people with Firefox and 372.54 have encountered it so I assume it's driver issue too. Scared the shit out of me anyway.

Dude you forgot to blow in the cartridge

Buburibon

Absolutely no problems after spending some time fine-tuning (dialing back) my Titan XP's OC to work with 372.54. It's definitely a much less forgiving driver release than the immediately preceding versions.

I haven't had any of these specific issues, but I have noticed that since updating I've been getting a fair deal of blue screens. I'm on a 970, fwiw, and I haven't sat down to seriously figure out what's going on so it may have nothing to do with the drivers.

Aranath

I haven't noticed anything peculiar yet (knock on wood). I've been playing loads of Overwatch and just went and fiddled around with Ansel in The Witcher 3 for a bit.

980ti
Windows 10

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary myself on a 970/DXMD drivers with Windows 10 (No anniversary update).

Is it something that's happening constantly in most games, or just specific circumstances? I've only really been playing Overwatch as far as 3D games are concerned, although what little I've dabbled in Enderal made me feel the performance was pretty bad (no weird artifacts, though).

Just bought a 1060 this last weekend. I need to go buy a power adapter before I install it, but I subbed to this thread just in case I have issues.

I remember early this year or late last year NVIDIA released drivers that would just turn my 970 off after about 10 minutes of use.

Good times

Amon-Lau

Using two GTX 980M SLI with the drivers, nothing so far besides the usual crashes while playing Mankind Divided... =0

I keep a directory with the last 5-10 driver packages, just in case.
Welcome to PC game development.

Why do you support old driver versions? Other than edge cases like this where the lastest driver is CLEARLY borked.

Not sure how common this is because I don't play a lot of AAA titles, but Mirror's Edge Catalyst refused to start until I updated my graphics drivers. The fact that it was forced felt obnoxious, but I wouldn't have minded a very strongly worded "Please update your graphics drivers before playing, or else continue at your own peril."

I haven't run into any of the problems EatChildren described, but MahGawd something's going on with my Palix 1080.

Windows just slows down to a crawl whenever it feels like it and whenever I try to interact with either GeForce Experience or Nvidia control panel it is soooooo slow.

Even watching youtube is almost impossible.

Then, whenever it feels like it. It goes back to normal.

It never happened to me before, hope it's judt the drivers

Philtastic

I hadn't used an Nvidia card for a long time until my recent 1070, and I'm not impressed by their drivers. Had a lot of screen corruption issues both in game (namely Space Engineers) and on my desktop with the 372.54 drivers (both Geforce Experience update as well as DDU clean install) which had me rolling back to 368.81 where everything was fine.

As a long time AMD card owner, my experiences with AMD drivers has been smoother given this very short 1070 ownership.

Calm Mind

To think there might be a universe where this happens to AMD and they remain the market leaders despite not deserving it.

I don't install Driver updates from Nvidia on Day 1 anymore.

I don't trust them. They are basically "beta testing" with Day 1 driver updates these days.

Coketruck

They broke Fallout New Vegas too, there's something fundamentally wrong with this release.

So that's why I haven't been able to play NV? Good to know. I bought it during the last Steam sale and didn't get around to actually trying to load it until the other day, and it's crashed every time. Windows 10 x64, Anniversary Update, GTX 1060.

EVGA 970 super-de-duper clocked edition here, not having any issues.

I did just do a clean reinstall of Windows though so maybe that's why it's fine for me?

Haroon

I recently got a 1080, and decided to overclock it on these drivers. I was not able to get a stable clock at 2180 while playing the newest Deus Ex. After reading this thread, I decided to clean install the previous driver version, and I was able to achieve the clock speed that I desired. I am not sure what is wrong with the current drivers, but I had similar problems while testing the overclock on various games on the latest drivers.

Guess I won't update for now I suppose.

EDIT: Actually mine have been updated for awhile now and it works fine so I don't know.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Reading AMD driver support.....I think the greatest fucking thing about it.....KNOWN ISSUES listed on the driver page. I like the upfront and transparency of the issues when they get known and added to the page.

But NVIDIA drivers' lately have been insanely hit or miss. I have a 1060 which I will probably now sell off despite losing a minor fps advantage over the likes of the nitro x.....but I'm not overly happy with the card despite its performance. I have had nothing but issues with the thing and the driver luck has been bugging me lately. I wouldn't doubt if half of it is Anniversary update.....that caused every blizzard game to go on the fritz initally.....that wasn't fun

Nvidia does the same. Granted you have to download the release notes PDF for it...

There've been reports that this driver (and maybe some of the slightly older recent ones?) messes up reflections in Fallout: New Vegas.

dEvAnGeL

980ti, windows 7 here, no issues so far and that's great news for me, i was stuck on 362.00 for so long because every release was giving me crashes on all games

Trojan

Absolutely no problems after spending some time fine-tuning (dialing back) my Titan XP's OC to work with 372.54. It's definitely a much less forgiving driver release than the immediately preceding versions.

So the new driver can affect overclocks? This makes total sense now but was banging my head against a wall for a few hours this weekend how my overclocked Titan was crashing during Heaven benchmarks when I had tested for stability before. I hope this isn't something I'm going to have to do after each driver update.

K-BillyDJ

Neo Member
Spent 4 hours trying to get Fallout : New Vegas to work turns out it was the Nvidia Drivers breaking so that was cool.....

Type_Raver

Ohh now it makes sense why my Adobe Photoshop raw sliders (for highlights, shadows etc..) come up corrupted and the image looks all messed up.

Might have to roll back (driver) as this takes priority over gaming.

dr_rus

I've been using this driver since its release and the only game where I've had some issues (not the ones you're showing though) was DXMD. At this point I'm pretty certain that it's the game's fault and not the driver's as everything else I've played on them runs just fine.

Did you install the drivers with custom->clean install btw? This is a branch change driver (R367->R372) and in this case it's always better to kill off all the remains of the previous driver. Some people use DDU for that, I just do a clean install option.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nvidia drivers have been horrid lately. I am very dissatisfied with them. I frantically bought a 1080 trying to get VR setup and ready for my sister in law to try it in late June. I had purchased a DP to mini DP cable and tested it out on my 670. It worked but was stuttery and would be puke inducing. Got my 1080 and guess what VR was broken on all 3 of the DP ports and this was not fixed until mid July. I had to buy a DP to HDMI adapter for 15 bucks to get it running and I wasted many hours TSing the issue.

Fast forward one month and the next set of drivers left me with a black screen. I had to reinstall windows it was so bad. This may have been an MS issue, but I blame nvidia because it happened during their install. After I manage to reload windows and install the drivers, they totally suck.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, they stopped being slow since they rolled out Crimson suite. Hopefully they will keep up with this schedule.

Aye, Crimson has been pretty good, but let's not forget the GPU fan stuck at 3% bug, which to my knowledge, did fry some GPUs.

Xyber

I have started seeing some bugged textures on some maps in Overwatch, specifically when I look down on the ground at the spawn on Numbani then a part of the floor just turns black.

I also had something that almost looked like artifacting in Deus Ex just after I had upgraded my skills, thought it was the game doing the 150% overloaded thing but it disappeared after I paused and resumed and haven't seen it since.

Kudo

I have started seeing some bugged textures on some maps in Overwatch, specifically when I look down on the ground at the spawn on Numbani then a part of the floor just turns black.

I also had something that almost looked like artifacting in Deus Ex just after I had upgraded my skills, thought it was the game doing the 150% overloaded thing but it disappeared after I paused and resumed and haven't seen it since.

Just had the same artifacting thing happen in Deus Ex and pressing ESC cleared it for me too. I wonder what went wrong in these drivers and are they safe?
Kinda feeling the urge to downgrade, when are the next ones coming?

XenIneX

August-release drivers won't even load on my 970. Just an exclamation point in Device Manager and an immediate failure down to generic VGA drivers. Roll back to July's drivers and all is well.

Annoying.

Stiler

Using this driver and I've been lately noticing in a lot of games I am getting stuttering/hitching.

Anyone else getting this issue on a 1070? Both Deus Ex/Obduction at times run like literlaly slideshows and I assumed it was something to do with windows (since I upgraded to windows 10 as well), been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

I have a 1080 running Windows 10 anniversary edition. DX:MD is fine for me but with the buggy driver in Fallout 4 the Pip-Boy is mostly blacked out and difficult or impossible to read.

Top Bottom