• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED? Nope. QLED is the future of HDTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
dolby-vision.jpg

WHAT DOES QLED STAND FOR?

As always, we'll start by explaining what QLED actually stands for. In truth, it's a bit of a fudge, because the full expression its derived from is 'Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diodes'.

QDLED doesn't sound so good, though, so many have taken to dropping the 'D'. Hence, QLED.

Name-changing aside, QLED is essentially a combination of two high profile display technology principles: quantum dot and OLED. Let's break those down.

QUANTUM DOTS = HIGH BRIGHTNESS

Quantum dots are tiny particles of between two to 10 nanometres in diameter. They are employed in displays due to their ability – in conjunction with other materials – to give off different colours according to their size.

The advantage of this is that they're capable of emitting brighter, more vibrant, and more diverse colours, and can even approach the standard of OLED.

This makes them particularly well suited to displaying HDR (High Dynamic Range) content, which requires a high peak brightness to unleash its full potential.

OLED = TRUE BLACKS

The other half of the QLED equation is the OLED technology we've just referenced. You're probably more familiar with this than quantum dot, as it's been around for years.

If you have ever owned a Samsung Galaxy S or Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone, or have bought yourself an Apple Watch, you'll have used an OLED screen. Only LG has really been able to perfect OLED technology at TV-scale, however.

OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode, in reference to an organic material it uses to light up individual pixels when a current is passed through it.

OLED + QUANTUM DOTS = TRUE BLACKS AND HIGH BRIGHTNESS

As you've hopefully worked out by now, QLED brings the benefits of both quantum dot and OLED displays together into one super-TV package.

That means a TV that boasts the improved brightness and range of colours quantum dots afford, and the clarity and deep blacks of OLED.

We must stress however, QLED isn't an OLED TV with quantum dots, but a technology that combines the benefits of both into one package.

Compared to OLED, QLED displays could boast a 30 to 40% luminance efficiency advantage, as well as consuming half the power.

Just as importantly, they promise to be much easier and cheaper to produce, without compromising on the super-thin and even flexible form factors that OLED technology has enabled.

Full article at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opini...ture-of-tv-tech-explained#MYtBvS3WKSCiYYZm.99

Toki767

As soon as these hit mainstream prices, they'll be moving on to another tech.

I believe they showed these off at CES though and most people were very impressed.

Justinh

They could've just hyphenated Quantum-dots.

I like the part where they say it's more energy efficient and uses less power.

orochi91

Jesus.

I was set to pull the trigger on the xbr800d.

Now this fucking thing comes along.

The waiting game for the ideal TV set will never end at this rate.

T_T

What about RLED, SLED, and TLED?

I can't believe I actually googled that. You bastard. :p

Jesus.

I was set to pull the trigger on the xbr800d.

Now this fucking thing comes along.

The waiting game for the ideal TV set will never end at this rate.

T_T

Do it. Sell it later, get a better tv, etc. Enjoy it before this tech arrives. It will be at least 3 years before we get decent prices for those TVs anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can guarantee that "cheaper to produce" will have zero effect on prices.

Nipo

Sounds like Samsung marketing speak because they can't find a way to get around LGs patents and make low-cost oled.

ZoronMaro

Quantum dots are cool shit.

They're definitely underestimating the cost to produce though, let alone the "new technology" tax. But hopefully when my current TV goes kaput in ~5 years I can get one of these.

Quantum Dots are pretty awesome, the version used on the front of LCD panels on TVs today is already pretty amazing at giving much wider color gamut and quality. I've had QD + LCD since 2013 on my Sony 65X900A, I wonder how much better it can get when you put them in front of OLED panels.

Jigolo

Quantum Dots are pretty awesome, the version used on the front of LCD panels on TVs today is already pretty amazing at giving much wider color gamut and quality. I've had QD + LCD since 2013 on my Sony 65X900A, I wonder how much better it can get when you put them in front of OLED panels.
QLEDs won't ever go in front of OLED panels.

Didn't Sony show a QLED working concept at CES? Quantum Dot is something different, I thought.
Yes a long time ago. They called it crystal led. Pretty much the Same shit as qled tho

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sounds sexy. What about augmented reality holograms though? How far into the future are we talking here? ;P

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Prices on TVs are already at rock bottom thanks to the commodity status of LCD panels and have been for years.

:3

There are 4KTVs that are outrageously priced. I'm talking about when this is newly released, my guess is these will be out of the price range of most consumers, much like most 4KTVs were.

vivftp

Yes a long time ago. They called it crystal led. Pretty much the Same shit as qled tho

CLED uses micro LED's to form the picture and has nothing to do with QLED AFAIK. They've got CLED working now on their Pro side of things with their monster CLEDIS display walls.

Didn't Sony show a QLED working concept at CES? Quantum Dot is something different, I thought.

No, I think what they showed was the Z9 TV tech with Backlight Master Control, which gives individual control over each LED for more brightness and better black levels.

vivftp

Wtf...so they're actually making this a consumer product? o_O
It's been forever since I read anything on their prototype crystal led tech.

Nope, no sign of a consumer product in sight. But since they are still developing the tech on the Pro side there is always the likelihood it will find its way over to the consumer side.

Did you even read the whole article? They have CLED working right now on their giant CLEDIS display walls. These are, however meant for the commercial market instead of consumer.

Edit.
Here is the Sony Canvas wall using CLEDIS display tech

https://youtu.be/YFpptSFBWTM

Look at the size of that thing... O_O

Amazing. But until this reaches consumer... let's wait and see!

EDIT:

Just to be clear, for now CLED still doesn't seem feasible because according to Sony's website a FullHD panel would be at least 110inches
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-m...ndisp-latest-CLEDISLargeDisplaySolution.shtml
Oh, there it is. So this isn't aimed at house use. Sounds great tho.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nope, no sign of a consumer product in sight. But since they are still developing the tech on the Pro side there is always the likelihood it will find its way over to the consumer side.
Ah I see. Got commercial and consumer sector mixed up lol, thanks for the correction.

eggandI

Banned
lol sure thing buddy

years ago people were talking crazy about OLED but apparently this is actually the next best thing now

x3sphere

I doubt you'll see these in a consumer display until 2019-2020 at the earliest, judging by how long it took OLED to get off the ground.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
4K, 8K, 16K, 32K etc...we need to step outside the box. We must be free of "K's" if we are to truly venture into the future.

Sciz

I doubt you'll see these in a consumer display until 2019-2020 at the earliest, judging by how long it took OLED to get off the ground.

Supposedly some of the engineering work that went into OLED is transferable to QLED panels, but yeah, still gonna be a few years yet. Great tech, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom