• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED? Nope. QLED is the future of HDTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it as burn-in prone as OLED? How does it compare? I'm not getting hyped until we have a definitive answer to that question! The burn-in problems of OLED would be enough to keep me away from the tech, even if it was cheap and commonly available.

Caayn

But do you get a lot of image retention?
I have a VT60 and image retention from HUDs or tv network logos dirty up the screen every now and then. Bothers me, but I know it's not truly burned in. I wouldn't dare use it as a PC monitor though, and have moved my long Diablo sessions to my smaller PC screen.

Image retention is something I see in reviews regarding LG's OLEDs.
Since you had a VT60 too, how does that compare with the OLED?
My OLED performs a lot better in the IR department than my VT60 ever did. To me IR is a non-issue on OLED, I've never seen IR from a game's HUD or uniformity issues after watching a lot of 21:9/4:3. LG OLEDs also automatically clean the pixels when the TV is in stand-by after every 4(I think) hours of usage.

There's only one scenario that I can think of that produces noticeably IR on my set. When I go to the game library on the Xbox One, which has a large warm grey background, after I've been sitting on the dashboard for a little while I can see the dashboard squares on the game library's background. Once the game library contents have loaded the IR has disappeared. That's the only situation I can think of where IR is noticeable. (static high contrast content directly followed by a warm grey screen.)

I do own a 2015 model and have got the OLED light set to 65 (which is bright enough for me, out of the box it's >90), I've got no experience with the 2016 models. I'd expect them perform even better.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The Panasonic Plasma's were always more prone to IR. I noticed that with the VT60, & G10.

Honestly, unless you abuse your tv a fuck ton IE leave up a static high contrast image on the screen for a good day (days?) or so you'll never have to worry about true "burn in".

Also, needs to be repeated over and over again any self illuminating tech (yes even QLED) can suffer some form of IR if abused. Now, since people just won't accept real world usage claims and continue to go on about how OLED suffer from "burn in", when really it's far from the case and any form of IR legit goes away almost instantly unless you abused the shit out of your tv which means it will take a little bit longer, you might as well opt for a much worse image quality and go for an LCD set I guess if you're not willing to believe reports from media or owners.

Been waiting more than half a decade for OLED to become affordable and now this? It will never end!!

What about lifespan?
My Plasma is shitting the bed. I've had it for 6 years, its dim as hell and begins showing vertical colored lines across the surface.

Can we get some TVs that last 25 years or more like in the old days? I'm sick of things having the lifespan of mayflies!

DOWN

Banned
This is the one Samsung invested in right? While they let LG have the OLED market for a year or two?

ukas

My OLED performs a lot better in the IR department than my VT60 ever did. To me IR is a non-issue on OLED, I've never seen IR from a game's HUD or uniformity issues after watching a lot of 21:9/4:3. LG OLEDs also automatically clean the pixels when the TV is in stand-by after every 4(I think) hours of usage.

There's only one scenario that I can think of that produces noticeably IR on my set. When I go to the game library on the Xbox One, which has a large warm grey background, after I've been sitting on the dashboard for a little while I can see the dashboard squares on the game library's background. Once the game library contents have loaded the IR has disappeared. That's the only situation I can think of where IR is noticeable. (static high contrast content directly followed by a warm grey screen.)

I do own a 2015 model and have got the OLED light set to 65 (which is bright enough for me, out of the box it's >90), I've got no experience with the 2016 models. I'd expect them perform even better.

I've had my PC hooked up to my E6 since April and the only IR I've seen is temporary. Burn in is only a problem if you're doing some extreme or trying to cause it on purpose. End of story.

spookyfish

It can't be the future, because I haven't spent money on an OLED display yet. Whatever comes out right after I do that will be the standard.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Thank you, that's really helpful.
Which OLED model do you have?

I feel bad for wanting to upgrade so quickly after getting the VT60 about 3 years ago or so, but man. Better blacks... HDR... 4k...

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I feel bad for wanting to upgrade so quickly after getting the VT60 about 3 years ago or so, but man. Better blacks... HDR... 4k...

Well If you're in no rush I'd 100% recommend waiting till CES (January) to see LG's 2017 models which are suppose to up their game a ton when it comes to motion which for a Plasma owner will be really important.

They showed off 100/120Hz Prototypes already at IFA. :) And, rumours were flying around few months before that LG were working hard on blowing the world away with new motion on next years models.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276282

OLED insane pixel response time + high frame rate + Dynamic HDR / Dolby Vision = 😍

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well If you're in no rush I'd 100% recommend waiting till CES (January) to see LG's 2017 models which are suppose to up their game a ton when it comes to motion which for a Plasma owner will be really important.

They showed off 100/120Hz Prototypes already at IFA. :) And, rumours were flying around few months before that LG were working hard on blowing the world away with new motion on next years models.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276282

OLED insane pixel response time + high frame rate + Dynamic HDR / Dolby Vision = 😍

I can definitely wait a bit. Motion resolution is definitely important.
Thanks! Looks like OLED for me.

Caayn

I've had my PC hooked up to my E6 since April and the only IR I've seen is temporary. Burn in is only a problem if you're doing some extreme or trying to cause it on purpose. End of story.
It's kinda weird how some people really want to push the "OLED suffers from burn-in" thing.

I've got an LG EG920v, the EU equivalent of the US LG EG9200.

Soriku

First 4K, then HDR, now QLED??

Fuck it, I'm just gonna kill myself. Only way to end this.

Jk I'm happy with my new TV.

Rodin

I've yet to be convinced that QLED reaches the same black level as OLED. Plasma is self emissive tech too, but it doesn't even compare to OLED. Still, it will be pretty interesting to see how this turns out to be. Hopefully the rumors about it being cheap to make are true.

Is it as burn-in prone as OLED? How does it compare? I'm not getting hyped until we have a definitive answer to that question! The burn-in problems of OLED would be enough to keep me away from the tech, even if it was cheap and commonly available.

OLED isn't prone to burn-in at all, especially with 2016 models. Just use common sense and don't leave a still image on the screen for hours (which will still go away, but what's the point).

I've had real burn-in on the much more lightly used OLED panels in my phones. All of them. Anyone who claims burn-in doesn't exist on OLED is just deluding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom