• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED? Nope. QLED is the future of HDTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jesus.

I was set to pull the trigger on the xbr800d.

Now this fucking thing comes along.

The waiting game for the ideal TV set will never end at this rate.

T_T

The waiting game is pointless, there's always better tech around the corner. You can get a lot of enjoyment out of that x800d by the time this comes out.

Mortemis

Banned
Jesus.

T_T

don't bother waiting for this. Whenever you see new tech announced, just get interested in it but don't ever bother waiting since it'll take forever to come out and then get affordable

Any idea about whether burn-in would be a factor with this tech? I never bought in to plasma TVs because of burn-in and I know OLED has a the same issue to a lesser degree.

Friggz

QLED? 2018? At this rate I'll be waiting forever for the best TV...

no shit...my wife said i could use some of our tax return next year on a new TV, as soon as i buy some top of the line model, it will be old by the time i bring it home.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
4K, 8K, 16K, 32K etc...we need to step outside the box. We must be free of "K's" if we are to truly venture into the future.

The cost in bandwidth in supporting these at 1:1 and (lol) uncompressed ratios is literally dependent on a singularity above 8k and there's diminishing physiological returns at even 4k.

Is this pronounced as Cue-Led or Cled? Either way I'm waiting till these people sort out their standards with HDR before I go out and replace my Panny Plasma. Whatever I buy, I know it damn sure won't be LCD or LED.

Edit: I see now that CLED is actually a name for something else.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If you wait for the definitive version of TV before buying a new set, you'll wait untill you die while watching your 18" tube TV.

Crisco

Banned
I agree, it looks like OLED is a no-go for large displays. They are basically nothing but thinner/lighter plasmas. Too power hungry, high input lag, and problems with burn-in.

LaneDS

I wouldn't mind throwing down ridiculous money at new television sets if there were a better way to unload the previous model. As it stands now, resell value appears to be universally terrible (I'm hoping someone posts something to disprove this) so these purchases feel more lasting than I'd like.

Aiii

So not worth it
I just want to watch TV man.

Honestly, it's always going to be something. So much like computers during the late 90s/early 00s it's just best to buy a new TV when you need to (or want to, if you will) and then just buy whatever gives you the best price/quality ratio conforming to your needs.

oxidax

How can I make my TV die faster without feeling guilty? lol

I want to upgrade to 4K but I hate having to sell my TV. I sell my stuff all the time, but a 55" I feel like its tough to sell. Can't do it through eBay because that means I have to take it to UPS and have it wrapped up and packed. Don't feel like selling it through Craigslist and having strangers come to my house to look at it..Aw man.

UrbanRats

I want to upgrade to 4K but I hate having to sell my TV. I sell my stuff all the time, but a 55" I feel like its tough to sell. Can't do it through eBay because that means I have to take it to UPS and have it wrapped up and packed. Don't feel like selling it through Craigslist and having strangers come to my house to look at it..Aw man.

Gift it to a friend/relative.

Sometimes when I am watching a random show I think to myself the crazy crazy science that has to happen to get that image through a bunch of wires as an electrical digital impluse and into a box, and in that box is a screen that electrifies a bunch of strange chemicals at light speeds to display that image in stunning clarity.

just like...even the shittiest TVs now are a marvel of electrical engineering. And at the high-end these OLED/QLED/LED screens are just nuts, at a science level.

NYR

2018 = Early Adopter Price ($5000+)

2019 = Not as Early, Early Adopter Price ($4000)

2020 = Reasonable Price ($3000)

2021 = Consumer Price ($2000)

As an OLED owner, I'm not worried at all, not concerned about the "next" big thing when the next big thing over LCDs hasn't even beared fruit. With that said, it does suck that OLEDs produce an amazing picture but aren't as bright as the 4 year old TV I replaced.

NYR

I agree, it looks like OLED is a no-go for large displays. They are basically nothing but thinner/lighter plasmas. Too power hungry, high input lag, and problems with burn-in.

This is basically untrue.

LG E6 has the amazingly low input lag for gaming and is among the best gaming TVs available:
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6
Excellent for video games. Low input lag, and excellent response for fast paced games. Works well with a range of resolutions.

Burn-in with OLED was a problem 3 years ago, not as much now:
http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention
What Did We Learn?
I've spent hundreds of hours working with OLED televisions, and burn-in does not appear to be a major concern if you're a typical user. Image retention is at its worst when you first begin using your OLED, but it gets better with time, it's only visible under extreme circumstances, and it doesn't appear to be permanent.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Don't expect these to hit retail till late 2018 or 2019 (safer bet), Since Samsung have been fucking around and are happy to keep pumping out LCD sets for consumers atm. Though, thanks to pressure from LG & OLED maybe they'll get off their ass.

Also, due to the way this, OLED (Direct View not the LCD shit), Plasma, and even CRT works "image persistence" can be a slight issue, but you should not have to worry about it at all on good sets. Also, keep in mind it is quickly to go away depending on the manufacture of your panel and what they have put in place to insure it is never permeant.

My 60" Pioneer Kuro is freaking beast when it comes to avoiding "image persistence", thanks to all the tech and methods Pioneer used to ensure it was not a issue or would quickly go away as soon as you switched content.

Also, this article really does not point out the biggest advantage of proper QLED which will be 100% coverage of the Rec.2020 standard which pretty much only QLED & Lazer projectors will be able to obtain unless other display tech improves a fuckton in next year or two.

Future developments & goals when it comes to tv tech under current standards are: 10,000 nits, 100% Rec.2020 coverage, High refresh rate (expect this to start rolling out next year), higher bitrate panels, & more pixels of course.

P.S Expect the sets to cost a premium as always when new tech is introduced. Samsung will want to recoup as much many as possible off early adopters in high end display market.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I got a 2015 set on clearance when 2016 models were coming. It's not future proof, but it is fine for now.

We had a cheapie 32" TV anyways and moved up to a nicer 55".

Wifey said we can upgrade again in a few more years, and then we will just move this TV elsewhere in the house like maybe our bedroom.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

OLED is amazing for large displays...

1. LG as a manufacturer decides on what they disable and not when it comes to processing in "game mode" even with that expect next years model to improve a fuck ton on many fronts. With the media putting more and more pressure on manufacturers to lower input delay you'll see them to start pushing out sets with under 1 frame of input lag. Also, don't be shocked to see 100/120Hz input next year they've already teased it (btw the panels are already native 120Hz). If LG or any manufacturer using their panel allows a game mode that they don't fuck with processing wise expect to see the OLED blow people away since they will finally be able to really show off how huge of an advantage OLED pixel switching times are compared to LCD even the best Plasma or CRT motion won't be able to stand up since those two later techs had their own issue of phosphor trails. And, yes CRT's did have issues with phosphor trails but the way they would manifest themselves was different to Plasma.

2. They really are not that power hungry at all compare it to my 60" Pioneer Kuro which can depending on content hit 400w no problem when I don't have any power saving shit on. With an OLED you're looking at 112w for SDR & 217w for HDR 65" model which is fuck all. Also, power draw all depends on content you're watching since OLED has no issue turning off pixels. LCD might not draw as much power, but overall picture quality LCD can't even touch OLED and that is why LCD only manufacturer of displays have been put under more pressure as the media goes nuts for OLED displays for movies and so on.

3. My exp with 2016 models burn in is not an issue. I've never tested 2015 models I doubt it was an issue with them.

Friggz

I wouldn't mind throwing down ridiculous money at new television sets if there were a better way to unload the previous model. As it stands now, resell value appears to be universally terrible (I'm hoping someone posts something to disprove this) so these purchases feel more lasting than I'd like.

hello....dude....DUDE...

Caayn

Burn-in? On a modern OLED display? You'd need to go miles out of your way to get burn-in on a OLED these days. Even the older models don't suffer from it as much as Plasma did. Burn-in is a total non-issue with OLED.

As for the input lag 2016 models are in the 30ms range, my 2015 model is 51ms.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, this will hopefully drive down the prices of high-end 4K TV's, enough so that I can buy.
It's good to dream.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Lol, I feel the same way.

Ready to get rid of my 65" VT60 plasma, but it's so nice and I feel like I just barely got it.
Selling is such a hassle. My previous TV I gave away to family that needed it. This TV is almost 3x the price though.

A photo of people deciding on which TV they should get

shutterstock_94154494.jpg

NandoGip

Question: Disregarding price and if it actually exists, what would be the highest possible spec for a TV in the near future? Like 4K HDR QLED or something?

Fitts

How about we standardize motion resolution to a not-shit level first? The industry keeps running to the next big screen tech, (or gimmick; 3D, curved, etc) yet it all gets embarrassed by "obsolete" phosphor-based displays. The deepest blacks or brightest peak levels don't mean much when the PQ goes to shit the second something moves on screen.

ameleco

I worked on solar cells for a bit and quantum dots can definitely be synthesized for pretty cheap! And they really are tuneable for different energy levels. Because of this, they're useful in a lot of electronics - solar cells, lasers, etc. Of course, they do have problems. At least, they did in the intermediate band stuff we were testing. So yeah, definitely excited about this for TVs if it comes without the problems!

Future developments & goals when it comes to tv tech under current standards are: 10,000 nits, 100% Rec.2020 coverage, High refresh rate (expect this to start rolling out next year), higher bitrate panels, & more pixels of course.
10,000 nits!? Why not just save some time and shoot a laser directly into your eyes?

Jesus.

T_T
You'll end up waiting forever. Future proofing is a myth, as whatever you get, whenever you get it, there will be something better just around the corner that might not even use the same standards of what you just bought. The trick is to just enjoy what you get and try not to have too much buyer's remorse (which I'm honestly kind of feeling now because I have a 4K set without HDR).

LeleSocho

Banned
This is basically untrue.

Burn-in with OLED was a problem 3 years ago, not as much now:
http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention
What Did We Learn?
I've spent hundreds of hours working with OLED televisions, and burn-in does not appear to be a major concern if you're a typical user. Image retention is at its worst when you first begin using your OLED, but it gets better with time, it's only visible under extreme circumstances, and it doesn't appear to be permanent.

Burn-in? On a modern OLED display? You'd need to go miles out of your way to get burn-in on a OLED these days. Even the older models don't suffer from it as much as Plasma did. Burn-in is a total non-issue with OLED.

As for the input lag 2016 models are in the 30ms range, my 2015 model is 51ms.

Aaaaaah..... good old "Burn in was a problem *insert random number here* years ago" never fails to make me laugh. OLED's problems are such a thing of the past that Samsung, which is essentially the king of this technology, decided against it for their high end tvs.
Don't buy OLED if you care even a little about burn-in and image retention people.

dsk1210

Aaaaaah..... good old "Burn in was a problem *insert random number here* years ago" never fails to make me laugh. OLED's problems are such a thing of the past that Samsung, which is essentially the king of this technology, decided against it for their high end tvs.
Don't buy OLED if you care even a little about burn-in and image retention people.

Or listen to the people who actually own and use them and can confirm it's not a problem.

I use mines as a PC monitor.

orochi91

Do it. Sell it later, get a better tv, etc. Enjoy it before this tech arrives. It will be at least 3 years before we get decent prices for those TVs anyway.

The waiting game is pointless, there's always better tech around the corner. You can get a lot of enjoyment out of that x800d by the time this comes out.

don't bother waiting for this. Whenever you see new tech announced, just get interested in it but don't ever bother waiting since it'll take forever to come out and then get affordable

It's never going to end. Ever.
Get the 800d. You'll love it

You'll end up waiting forever. Future proofing is a myth, as whatever you get, whenever you get it, there will be something better just around the corner that might not even use the same standards of what you just bought. The trick is to just enjoy what you get and try not to have too much buyer's remorse (which I'm honestly kind of feeling now because I have a 4K set without HDR).
Cheers, y'all.

Waiting for the next big thing is indeed foolish, since they'll always be something else coming on the horizon.

I'll stick with the xbr800d.

Caayn

I own one, game regularly on it with the HUD enabled, use it as a PC monitor from time to time, I've had plenty of static images on it. I'd invite you to come over and search for burn-in problems in my set.

The abuse I've given my OLED would've destroyed my VT60 plasma.

Samsung the king of OLED? Don't make me laugh. Small panels sure, they know their stuff. But with large panels it's a different story.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I own one, game regularly on it with the HUD enabled, use it as a PC monitor from time to time, I've had plenty of static images on it. I'd invite you to come over and search for burn-in problems in my set.

The abuse I've given my OLED would've destroyed my VT60 plasma.

Samsung the king of OLED? Don't make me laugh. Small panels sure, they know their stuff. But with large panels it's a different story.

But do you get a lot of image retention?
I have a VT60 and image retention from HUDs or tv network logos dirty up the screen every now and then. Bothers me, but I know it's not truly burned in. I wouldn't dare use it as a PC monitor though, and have moved my long Diablo sessions to my smaller PC screen.

Image retention is something I see in reviews regarding LG's OLEDs.
Since you had a VT60 too, how does that compare with the OLED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom