• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Aizo

Banned
I haven't had so much trouble trying to play a game on pc since Deadly Premonition. I'd love to see whether or not my computer can run it even, but I have yet to get to that point. First issue was having access denied when trying to sign in to my account I used on Xbox live years ago, which ended up requiring me to make a separate user on my computer to be allowed. After that, I installed it over night.

Woke up this morning, tried to run it, and it had to update. Okay. I understand that. Start again, update. Third time. Update. Am I eventually going to be pushed into that complete redownload update I've heard about, too? Why doesn't it just update the whole game at once? I now understand the things people say about microsoft games on pc. Even buying the game was a pain.

Edit: 8 updates.
This is a problem now. Instead of leaving the room, I watched it update this time. It is downloading the same 3.51mb update every time. It won't stop.

Sickbean

I haven't had so much trouble trying to play a game on pc since Deadly Premonition. I'd love to see whether or not my computer can run it even, but I have yet to get to that point. First issue was having access denied when trying to sign in to my account I used on Xbox live years ago, which ended up requiring me to make a separate user on my computer to be allowed. After that, I installed it over night.

Woke up this morning, tried to run it, and it had to update. Okay. I understand that. Start again, update. Third time. Update. Am I eventually going to be pushed into that complete redownload update I've heard about, too? Why doesn't it just update the whole game at once? I now understand the things people say about microsoft games on pc. Even buying the game was a pain.

Edit: 8 updates.
This is a problem now. Instead of leaving the room, I watched it update this time. It is downloading the same 3.51mb update every time. It won't stop.

I haven't had a single crash until this update, now it's crashing constantly. You're better off without it.

Aizo

Banned
Got it to work by updating and launching from the store page. Super weird. Finally played it. Can't run at 1080p because of a weird issue with inconsistent pace? It doesn't drop below 30fps, but actual motion slows down and speeds up, making it unplayable. 720p works great.

LostDonkey

Keep an eye on your gpu clocks if you have a ctd.

Twice now it's locked my gpu to 560mhz for some reason after a ctd. No error message just app close.

Had to reboot to get back to normal clock speeds.

Sky87

Got it to work by updating and launching from the store page. Super weird. Finally played it. Can't run at 1080p because of a weird issue with inconsistent pace? It doesn't drop below 30fps, but actual motion slows down and speeds up, making it unplayable. 720p works great.

Turn off the framerating smoothing option, it's what slows down/speeds up from what i saw when i had the option enabled.

LilJoka

Keep an eye on your gpu clocks if you have a ctd.

Twice now it's locked my gpu to 560mhz for some reason after a ctd. No error message just app close.

Had to reboot to get back to normal clock speeds.

That's like an nvidia driver crash, I get this with failed overclocks.

LostDonkey

Is anyone else having the game switch to fullscreen anymore? I mean it used to start windowed and then pop into fullscreen a bit into the intro movie now it's refusing to go fullscreen at all even if I select and save fullscreen as my preference.

Seems that last patch has introduced a shit load of problems for me when the game was 99% perfect before hand.

Arc07

Is anyone else having the game switch to fullscreen anymore? I mean it used to start windowed and then pop into fullscreen a bit into the intro movie now it's refusing to go fullscreen at all even if I select and save fullscreen as my preference.

Seems that last patch has introduced a shit load of problems for me when the game was 99% perfect before hand.
Same issue here. Just hit alt+enter until they fix it.

Sickbean

Same here, starts windowed every time now.

DXMGT

Banned

Yup.

The problems with this game never end haha!

JackHerer

I check in on this thread every once in a while hoping to hear that the issues have been fixed and that I can finally play the game.... Should I just give up hope?

I check in on this thread every once in a while hoping to hear that the issues have been fixed and that I can finally play the game.... Should I just give up hope?

Before this update I didn't have any issues since buying it again over Christmas. Well, besides the well documented issues like stuttering, input lag, bad performance on high end gear, bad wheel implementation and being made to run at 30fps. Since this last patch though the game has started to crash quite frequently and launches in windowed mode.

Edit: Oh yeah, they released a patch recently that was a totally wrong version of the game, it was 53gb and if you made a profile on that version it wiped your cloud save losing all of your progress as well.

They're wizards apparently.

Dubz

Have't played this in a while since the last patch, and now I am getting really bad frame pausing at 36 frames capped on my Gsync 144HZ monitor

I play mostly on high settings with MSAA at 2X,

8GB RAM
17 4770K @ 3.7

Any tips to stop this?

riflen

Have't played this in a while since the last patch, and now I am getting really bad frame pausing at 36 frames capped on my Gsync 144HZ monitor

I play mostly on high settings with MSAA at 2X,

8GB RAM
17 4770K @ 3.7

Any tips to stop this?

Have you tried simply rebooting before you run the game? By default Windows 10 uses a form of hibernation when you tell it to shut down which leaves the GPU driver loaded.
When you turn on your PC, it resumes from hibernation instead of booting cold. This seems to cause problems with certain configurations.
The only way to get a cold boot is to turn on, boot up Windows, then do a restart.

The feature is call Fast Start-up and can be disabled from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Choose what the power buttons do

Ugh, I bought this the other week and haven't had time to download yet but I (clearly mistakingly) assumed it would be relatively stable now, and now a patch drops which introduces more instability and problems? Fantastic.

I got this game this week and have found it to perform okay, however it does stutter occasionally.

I've also had had issues where while the game is loading it appears to infinitely load, I hasn't happened to me today though.

There's a new 357MB patch, downloading now.

My specs are:

CPU: i7 4790K at 4.7GHz
GPU: GTX 970 at 1535MHz Core, 7590Mhz Memory
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB at 2400MHz

It runs at a mostly locked 60 fps with occasional stutters, I think it may be a streaming issue. I have the game installed on a Hard Drive.

I'll add the settings I'm using to this post when the game finishes updating.

EDIT: Settings I'm using.

There's a new 357MB patch, downloading now.

hqdefault.jpg

Bydobob

Surely this cannot be...

A race on Rainforest Escape with my new GTX 1080 and I was able to lock it at 72fps! Even the notorious start didn't drop it.

I'm not putting this all down to the new GPU though, recent patch must have made a hell of a difference.

Surfer's is still the same though. Maybe one day...

Dubz

This last patch along with the Windows 10 update has finally made this game playable at higher frame rates. I have a 144hz Gsync monitor and I'm running this at 72 with occasional dips in the high 60s.

8gb RAM
i7 4770K

wwm0nkey

This last patch along with the Windows 10 update has finally made this game playable at higher frame rates. I have a 144hz Gsync monitor and I'm running this at 72 with occasional dips in the high 60s.

8gb RAM
i7 4770K

Are you running the preview update?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Cross-posting from the OT as well:

In early December, I finally got a decent gaming PC
i7 6700k 4.00GHz
GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz
etc.

And Forza Horizon 3 was the first game I downloaded for it (got $100 Windows store credit) in order to test out my new rig. At first, everything was fine and dandy with everything maxed out and hitting 60fps 99% of the time. However, for Winter break, I had to leave my computer back in my dorm, and after I got back yesterday, I had to set everything back up, download all the new Windows updates, the usual stuff, but when I booted FH3 back up, I noticed I was getting framerates regularly in the lower 50s and upper 40s, especially in the city. What might the issue be? Have other people come across this sort of thing, and have they managed to remedy it? I know FH3 PC is an infamously bad port, but considering how everything was working fine before leads me to believe that this is a hardware or driver glitch.

Cross-posting from the OT as well:

In early December, I finally got a decent gaming PC
i7 6700k 4.00GHz
GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz
etc.

And Forza Horizon 3 was the first game I downloaded for it (got $100 Windows store credit) in order to test out my new rig. At first, everything was fine and dandy with everything maxed out and hitting 60fps 99% of the time. However, for Winter break, I had to leave my computer back in my dorm, and after I got back yesterday, I had to set everything back up, download all the new Windows updates, the usual stuff, but when I booted FH3 back up, I noticed I was getting framerates regularly in the lower 50s and upper 40s, especially in the city. What might the issue be? Have other people come across this sort of thing, and have they managed to remedy it? I know FH3 PC is an infamously bad port, but considering how everything was working fine before leads me to believe that this is a hardware or driver glitch.

You sure nobody swapped out the hardware? Kidding.

So you've been driving in the same areas and the performance is notably lower?
Hmm, try and change around the settings. Maybe drop them to High and restart to see how it runs, then set them back to max settings.

Also, check to see if there's anything intensive running in the background.

I've been using these settings for a couple of days now and they've been proving me a mostly stable 60 fps with my setup.

I believe there's some room for improvements in Reflections and Shadow Quality, maybe even the Static and Dynamic Geometry Quality settings but so far these have provided me the most stable experience with next to no frame-rate drops, maybe 2 or 3 frames on an odd occasion.

CPU: i7 4790K 4.8GHz
Memory: 16GB 2400MHz
GPU: GTX 970 (Core: 1535MHz Memory: 7590MHz)

If you're running a GTX 970 or above and the game is having trouble targeting and holding close to 60 fps my settings may be worth a try.

I've spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what settings in the game have sizable impacts upon the performance and it appears that the "Environment Texture Quality" setting is one of the main culprits, I'm not sure why really but it appears to be putting a notable amount of load on the GPU compared to a couple of the other settings.

This discovery was surprising and fascinating for me, as Texture Quality settings often just consume VRAM with little to no performance impact providing you have an adequate amount of VRAM to house the higher quality textures in memory. In the event that you do not, you may encounter stuttering as-well as unstable frame-rates due to the stuttering.

In my testing I encountered lower frame-rates and higher GPU load, suggesting that it is an intensive feature that increases the load on the GPU.

I believe the Dynamic and Static Geometry settings also have a sizable impact as-well.

For the application settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Horizon 3 I've set the "Shader Cache" to Off and "Power management mode" to Prefer Maximum Performance, I'm unsure whether these settings have an impact on the performance as I haven't tested them extensively, however I've seen that disabling Shader Cache was one of the suggestions mentioned in this thread.

I'll look into testing the impacts of the graphical settings in this game later on in the week, if I discover anything new I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Yeah, changing the graphic settings in game (or at he menu at the beginning) causes the CtD when choosing a car for a race. I know, it's incomprehensible. Fuck knows why, but it's the only thing I can think of. For example. Game, for some reason, always starts windowed. I can play like that for ages. As soon as I go fullscreen I get a CtD when choosing a car for a race, pretty much straight away. It could be being fullscreen itself is the issue. Wouldn't surprise me if it was fuckery with UWP causing this bollocks. Whatever the cause it's a bunch of shit. Please let another dev do the PC port in future.

I've been using these settings for a couple of days now and they've been proving me a mostly stable 60 fps with my setup.

I believe there's some room for improvements in Reflections and Shadow Quality, maybe even the Static and Dynamic Geometry Quality settings but so far these have provided me the most stable experience with next to no frame-rate drops, maybe 2 or 3 frames on an odd occasion.

CPU: i7 4790K 4.8GHz
Memory: 16GB 2400MHz
GPU: GTX 970 (Core: 1535MHz Memory: 7590MHz)

If you're running a GTX 970 or above and the game is having trouble targeting and holding close to 60 fps my settings may be worth a try.

I've spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what settings in the game have sizable impacts upon the performance and it appears that the "Environment Texture Quality" setting is one of the main culprits, I'm not sure why really but it appears to be putting a notable amount of load on the GPU compared to a couple of the other settings.

This discovery was surprising and fascinating for me, as Texture Quality settings often just consume VRAM with little to no performance impact providing you have an adequate amount of VRAM to house the higher quality textures in memory. In the event that you do not, you may encounter stuttering as-well as unstable frame-rates due to the stuttering.

In my testing I encountered lower frame-rates and higher GPU load, suggesting that it is an intensive feature that increases the load on the GPU.

I believe the Dynamic and Static Geometry settings also have a sizable impact as-well.

For the application settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Horizon 3 I've set the "Shader Cache" to Off and "Power management mode" to Prefer Maximum Performance, I'm unsure whether these settings have an impact on the performance as I haven't tested them extensively, however I've seen that disabling Shader Cache was one of the suggestions mentioned in this thread.

I'll look into testing the impacts of the graphical settings in this game later on in the week, if I discover anything new I'll be sure to let everyone know.

What does your VRAM usage look like with environmental textures set to low?

Edit: nvm, tried the demo. Even keeping environmental detail on low doesn't allow me to get a smooth 60 with my 1060 3gb and I'm not into doing super heavy tweaks to get closer to it. Capping the frame rate at 30 introduced the nasty input lag I thought they had gotten rid of (well, in the demo at least--nice of them to at least offer this on windows in addition to xbox...helped me make the quick decision to save my cash and stick with the xbone version)

Anyone else suddenly getting amazing performance? I just OC'd my 6600k to 4.4Ghz, noticed my page file usage was maxed out and increased it to the Windows recommended value, installed the latest Nvidia drivers and used LelouchZero's settings, and it's 60fps all the way! 60 on the tram street, 60 at the start of Rainforest Escape, 60 everywhere!

This is on a 1080 with 16Gb of RAM, running at 1440p.

Okada

Anyone else suddenly getting amazing performance? I just OC'd my 6600k to 4.4Ghz, noticed my page file usage was maxed out and increased it to the Windows recommended value, installed the latest Nvidia drivers and used LelouchZero's settings, and it's 60fps all the way! 60 on the tram street, 60 at the start of Rainforest Escape, 60 everywhere!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you set your page file too? Might try the same.

wwm0nkey

Oh man I can finally play again!?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you set your page file too? Might try the same.

Windows recommended value. Mine turned out to be slightly lower when I checked, so I set the minimum and maximum to the recommended value. Don't know if this is what did it as quite a few factors have changed, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Oh man I can finally play again!?

Dunno, give it a shot. Hope it's OK!

leng jai

Even if you somehow were getting locked 60fps I wouldn't exactly call it amazing performance when you have a 1080.

Even if you somehow were getting locked 60fps I wouldn't exactly call it amazing performance when you have a 1080.

Well, no, of course not. Not in the absolute anyway, and especially not with some options set to minimum. But relative to how it's been since launch, it is amazing ^^'

Damn they manage to fuck this game even more with the last patch... WTF... Now i have a glitch that the game slow down as fuck like a memory leak or something similar and i have to restart the game, but after 5-10 minutes the glitch appears again. Fuck you Turn 10, i am done with this shit.

GTX 1060
16 Gb ram

i7-6700HQ
GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Wildly inconsistent performance. Testing on the Surfers Paradise tram area. If I set everything to absolute minimum I can get locked 60 with some weird stuttering/frame pacing. If I then enable shadows, even on low, fluctuations between 56-60. What the fuck?

Even at 4k and maxed settings, it never drops below 36 FPS so I thought I'd just cap it to 30. However the in-game FPS limiter introduces insane input lag, and nVidia Inspector's frame rate limiter gets insane stuttering in this game.

Yeah, I don't know how Microsoft thinks this is acceptable.

EDIT: After some testing, the in-game 30fps cap seems to be perfectly smooth without any jumpiness/stutters/strange frame pacing. However the input lag is just unbearable. If they'd just fix that the game would at least be tolerable, but so long after its release I'm not holding my breath.

Sky87

Game doesn't start in fullscreen for me anymore, even after choosing the option and saving. Have to keep putting it in fullscreen after starting it up. Anyone else? Not noticed this behavior before.

EDIT: Seems to be common after the January patch.

Yeah I've had this issue for a while. Never bothered me that much though.

While playing today I also noticed the game now has an option to set the maximum number of prerendered frames. Should help with input lag for those playing at 30fps hopefully :)

supersaw

So I had minimal issues at release apart from framerates unlike most in this thread but now with the latest patch my game crashes to desktop in Blizzard mountain all the time.

Don't you dare alt-tab this game.

The game has become a slideshow, and this is with 16GB of ram.

Looks like the whole thing went into the virtual memory, I don't even have much open besides iTunes and the Black Desert Online launcher.

I love this game you know, but jheez! I don't think ever had so much issues with a PC Game.

Anyone tried the new W10 Game Mode with it yet?

I did, but I really didn't see a benefit from it. The performance was the same.

However, to be fair, I've dialed my PCs down to a minimal level for playing games. Basically what the Win10 game mode does now. That plus I use Cortex's Game Booster. It's basically what the Win10 game mode is but more scalable.

https://www.razerzone.com/cortex/boost

It used to be IObits game booster, but Razer purchased it from them last year and incorporated it into Cortex.

Top Bottom