• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

b0bbyJ03

just came to check in on the state of this game. I didn't buy it at launch because the reports in this thread were not good and apparently it was stuttery. How is it now?

scitek

just came to check in on the state of this game. I didn't buy it at launch because the reports in this thread were not good and apparently it was stuttery. How is it now?

I'm finally able to get 60fps at 1080p, but it took a 7700K (and an SSD). It stutters for a few seconds when coming out of the pause menu/map, and periodically when driving across long distances, but it's much better than before. And to be fair, my Xbox One version also stutters periodically when driving long distances.

Allen Poe

finally came back to this after upgrading from a 970 to a 1080, and I have mixed feelings. I no longer get the stuttering and at times rough performance when I was on my 970 (i'm assuming this is a VRAM issue) so thats a plus, but I'm still getting sub-60fps during races (until I get out in front) and sometimes even out in free roam. I'm playing in 1440p, with most things maxed. with the 970 i was getting 30-60fps, with the 1080 i'm getting 48-80fps. guess I was expecting a bigger performance boost from such a powerful card.

dr_rus

finally came back to this after upgrading from a 970 to a 1080, and I have mixed feelings. I no longer get the stuttering and at times rough performance when I was on my 970 (i'm assuming this is a VRAM issue) so thats a plus, but I'm still getting sub-60fps during races (until I get out in front) and sometimes even out in free roam. I'm playing in 1440p, with most things maxed. with the 970 i was getting 30-60fps, with the 1080 i'm getting 48-80fps. guess I was expecting a bigger performance boost from such a powerful card.

1. Check your CPU usage.
2. Try disabling MSAA.

I hear you - I went to a 1080ti and I have to drop to high on settings to get a smooth experience, something seems wrong. What are the setttings that cause the stutter - or frame rate drops? I still get them - before I put the game on ultra dynmaic and frame smoothing and it was fine, now I can't even do that.

leng jai

It doesn't seem to matter what PC you have, the game just doesn't run at locked 60fps. If the drops to 55fps bother you could try and run it at 30fps at 4K/8xAA. Works for me, especially considering the game has horrendous shimmering/aliasing.

molnizzle

It doesn't seem to matter what PC you have, the game just doesn't run at locked 60fps. If the drops to 55fps bother you could try and run it at 30fps at 4K/8xAA. Works for me, especially considering the game has horrendous shimmering/aliasing.

Is there a way to do this without causing bad input lag? I remember reading about how the 30fps cap in this game was double buffered.

I hear you - I went to a 1080ti and I have to drop to high on settings to get a smooth experience, something seems wrong. What are the setttings that cause the stutter - or frame rate drops? I still get them - before I put the game on ultra dynmaic and frame smoothing and it was fine, now I can't even do that.

On my GTX 970 (with a 1535MHz OC) I found the environment texture quality setting to be a really taxing option, from my analysis it appears that this setting puts more load on the GPU and lowers my frame-rate, while also causing it to stutter.

I also found that the Dynamic and Static Geometry settings have a sizable impact on performance, as well as the World Car Detail Settings.

Here is a link to my previous post covering these, as-well as some adjustments I made to the profile in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

My recommendations for those with a GTX 980 Ti and above who are targeting 60 fps would be to use the settings listed in my post, and see how it runs when you raise the Geometry settings to High while leaving the texture quality setting on Low and seeing how it runs. If you're happy with how it performs you also may be able to raise the reflection, mirror and World Car Detail settings to High or Ultra, do this before you make adjustments to the texture quality settings.

When making adjustments to the texture quality settings raise them one by one and see if encounter any performance degradation, in the event that you do. Lower it.

How I tested the performance was by driving from one Festival to another, or by covering a large amount of ground so you have a good feel of the performance over a minute time frame or something.

I also found that you may need to restart the game if you're changing the texture quality setting, MSAA settings and also the Geometry settings.

TB14

Tried to play it again recently. Didn't last long until it crashed.

Wow, I can't believe that after so many patches CPU0 is consistently above 90% for 4+ thread systems. It appears that this is what causes frame-rate issues for my system, and probably many others too.

I currently have my i7 4790K at 4.7GHz, I usually run it at 4.8GHz but I decided to drop it to get lower temperatures.

I did some testing with all logical cores enabled and I was getting drops from 60 to 57 fps and below as well as stuttering, I disabled CPU0 in the task manager and I no longer get these drops at areas such as Surfer's Paradise and the Outback Festival.

I even drove from Surfers Paradise to the Outback Festival and it was pretty much a locked 60 fps. It runs ridiculously well now.

I looked into this after booting the game up today and encountering performance issues, however I do remember seeing people talk about this high utilization of what appears to be the first core a few months ago.

A lot of PC Gamers have encountered and reported performance issues with this game. Do the developers not know how to tackle them or do they have higher priorities than improving the performance for the players on PC?

Just switched from a 6600K to a 6700K and performance is... worse? I feel like the game stutters more with the same settings and I had two CTDs today in the space of an hour, where I basically never encountered any before.

But that's the really weird thing: game would basically never crash with my 6600K, but now that I've upgraded it seems super crash-prone :( Should I try reinstalling the game?

Skyr

Are you guys still doing the low priority + core 0 fix?
Bescause I still have to do that to get a perfect 60 with no drops.

Can (once again?) confirm that performance is improved by disabling core 0 and/or setting priority to low. I'm guessing this is mainly an issue with HT-enabled CPUs (or maybe simply those with more than 4 cores), as I was not having this issue with my 6600K but am experiencing it with a 6700K.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can (once again?) confirm that performance is improved by disabling core 0 and/or setting priority to low. I'm guessing this is mainly an issue with HT-enabled CPUs (or maybe simply those with more than 4 cores), as I was not having this issue with my 6600K but am experiencing it with a 6700K.

Very interesting. I have a 4790K. If I were to upgrade to a newer processor and money's not an issue, would you suggest upgrading to a 6600K or a 7700K?

Very interesting. I have a 4790K. If I were to upgrade to a newer processor and money's not an issue, would you suggest upgrading to a 6600K or a 7700K?

A 7700K, an i5 would be a downgrade as more games are using 4+ threads. Unless you're only playing games that are single-thread dependent.

Digital Foundry - i7 7700K Review

p6MOCoX.png

I haven't read through the thread, but I just got this game. So far so good. I'm getting 60fps in High settings no MSAA at 1440p.

6600K @ 4.5Ghz
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
16GBs DDR4 @ 3000Mhz

It did kind of stutter during one transition and just locked up when it opened the multiplayer menu.

Oh yeah this game pushes a single core to 100% and the other three are at 15-20%. CPU stays at or below 65c for the most part though.

I've had a locked 60fps throughout all the cities, with no single core reaching more than about 70% on my 4790K (no core tweaks either). You'd be wasting your money. If you're not getting a locked 60 in cities, maybe look at quicker RAM.

I've had a locked 60fps throughout all the cities, with no single core reaching more than about 70% on my 4790K (no core tweaks either). You'd be wasting your money. If you're not getting a locked 60 in cities, maybe look at quicker RAM.

Hmm, that's interesting. Since I got this game 2+ months ago CPU0 has been running above 90% for me, recently I disabled CPU0 for the process in the task manager and I no longer experience the major occasional frame-rate issues or stuttering I once did.

I have an i7 4790K is at 4.7GHz and I have 16GB of 2400MHz memory, I also have a GTX 970 at 1535MHz with my memory clocked at 7580MHz.

I've been trying to figure what causes these discrepancies in performance, as it seems that the CPU0 issue is a problem with manifests itself in some systems, and doesn't in others. It's quite a peculiar occurrence.

Fortunately I am to monitor CPU and GPU usage in UWP titles now thanks to a recent beta build of Rivatuner. So I can see where CPU and GPU limitations come into play.

I'm going to experiment with some of the settings in game and see how they impact the performance.
The Environment Texture Quality setting is something I'm quite eager to experiment with.

The new RT beta can make the OSD work with UWP games? Now that's interesting!

Yup! It's really awesome to have the OSD in UWP games!

Added initial Microsoft UWP applications support:
o On-Screen Display, framerate/frametime statistics collection and framerate limiting support
o Screencapture and videocapture are currently not supported
- Fixed bug in Vulkan On-Screen Display cleanup code causing The Talos Principle to crash to desktop on changing video settings
- Improved dynamic Direct3D12 presentation command queue detection algorithm
- Improved shared memory layout. Now each running 3D application entry contains x64/UWP application architecture usage flags in
addition to previously available 3D API usage flags
- Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting for OpenGL applications rendering from forward compatible 3.x+ context
with disabled deprecated immediate OpenGL mode functionality. The switch allows the server to fall back to rendering path using a
separate legacy OpenGL context
- Added On-Screen Display profile for Citra Nintendo 3DS emulator
- Added On-Screen Display profile for CEMU Wii U emulator
- Updated profiles list

RTSS 6.7.0 beta 1 (Guru3D Thread)

shandy706

This game runs fine for me now....not sure what happened, lol.

Leaving it on dynamic everything seems to have helped a ton. Also turned off vsync (I don't get any tearing) seemed to help.

If I try to force a setting without dynamic it goes back to a laggy mess though.

Hmm, that's interesting. Since I got this game 2+ months ago CPU0 has been running above 90% for me, recently I disabled CPU0 for the process in the task manager and I no longer experience the major occasional frame-rate issues or stuttering I once did.

I have an i7 4790K is at 4.7GHz and I have 16GB of 2400MHz memory, I also have a GTX 970 at 1535MHz with my memory clocked at 7580MHz.

I've been trying to figure what causes these discrepancies in performance, as it seems that the CPU0 issue is a problem with manifests itself in some systems, and doesn't in others. It's quite a peculiar occurrence.

Fortunately I am to monitor CPU and GPU usage in UWP titles now thanks to a recent beta build of Rivatuner. So I can see where CPU and GPU limitations come into play.

I'm going to experiment with some of the settings in game and see how they impact the performance.
The Environment Texture Quality setting is something I'm quite eager to experiment with.
It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. My 4790K is at stock clocks and ram is 1866MHzDDR3. I did some tests where I disabled the XPP of my RAM so it ran slower. FPS in the city tanked and I think CPU core0 usage went up.

jdmonmou

I started playing this game again recently. The game is running fine for me at 4K 60 FPS on a 1080 TI.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue with the game always starting in windowed mode? Every time I launch it I have to change it to full screen in the settings.

tuna_love

Banned
I started playing this game again recently. The game is running fine for me at 4K 60 FPS on a 1080 TI.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue with the game always starting in windowed mode? Every time I launch it I have to change it to full screen in the settings.
just press alt enter, i have no idea why it does this

Well shit. I sold my Xbox copy to get the PC version.

I'll be able to play it well, but I was hoping for a PC version as good as the game deserves.

Mohasus

I'm playing with a GTX 970 too (+3570k and 8GB), and anything higher than low makes the VRAM consumption too high for it.

Low = ~3600MB
Medium = 4048MB

The game haven't crashed since I turned it down to low (everything else is at the highest possible setting, 30fps, 1440p).

prophecy0

I'm running a 4790k @ 4.4GHz. I recently upgraded my GPU to a 1080ti. I still couldn't maintain 60fps at 1440p with MSAA enabled. CPU and GPU usage hovered around 60%.

At someone's suggestion here on NeoGAF I disabled MSAA and downsampled instead. I can run the game at 5120x2880 and get a solid 60fps

JoseDFrog

Banned
I'm running a 4790k @ 4.4GHz. I recently upgraded my GPU to a 1080ti. I still couldn't maintain 60fps at 1440p with MSAA enabled. CPU and GPU usage hovered around 60%.

At someone's suggestion here on NeoGAF I disabled MSAA and downsampled instead. I can run the game at 5120x2880 and get a solid 60fps

Do you mind sharing the rest of your settings? I have a comparable CPU and got the same video card. I would love to be able to play this game at 60.

prophecy0

Do you mind sharing the rest of your settings? I have a comparable CPU and got the same video card. I would love to be able to play this game at 60.

If I remember correctly, I have everything maxed out with the exception of MSAA. The dynamic resolution scaling is turned off. I used nVidia's DSR feature to enable the resolution within FH3.

I'll try and remember to confirm my settings tonight and post back in here.

JoseDFrog

Banned
If I remember correctly, I have everything maxed out with the exception of MSAA. The dynamic resolution scaling is turned off. I used nVidia's DSR feature to enable the resolution within FH3.

I'll try and remember to confirm my settings tonight and post back in here.

Thanks!

Top Bottom