• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Spook_485

Neo Member
I didnt play for a while. Couple of weeks ago I rarely dropped below 60 FPS in Surfers Paradise, but now I have 40-50 FPS in certain areas. Standing still and just looking towards the inner city, i will have constant 50 FPS while my CPU runs at 50% and my GPU at 70%. Something broke the game again.

From the forzamotorsport.net article about the new expansion:

In addition to the new Hot Wheels expansion, on May 9 we will be releasing an update for Forza Horizon 3 which includes some significant improvements for Windows 10 players. These changes include improved new support for numerous popular driving wheels, improved CPU performance, additional graphical options, and more. Look for the full list of all the improvements coming with the latest update on the day of release.

Seems they've been listening...

E:

84.gif

lol

Really hope it's a significant performance improvement. The only way I've been able to play in a stable manner on my 1070 and i7 6700k is by locking the game to 48 fps, which is ridiculous. I'm also really curious what the new graphics options will be.

dr_rus

We have some significant improvements for Windows 10 players coming at the same time as this new expansion (May 9). These changes include improved new support for numerous popular driving wheels, improved CPU performance, additional graphical options, and more.

We'll be revealing more details about these at the time of release.

84.gif

If anyone has the Creators Update and forgot to turn OFF Game Mode in Windows settings, do so right now. Cut down my loading times by about 80% for some reason.

I really hope the additional graphics options give me a way to speed up the alpha effects (spray/dust) which hit my 980ti ridiculously hard for some reason.

Locked 60fps on Rain-forest Escape on a 980Ti, place your bets.

dr_rus

If anyone has the Creators Update and forgot to turn OFF Game Mode in Windows settings, do so right now. Cut down my loading times by about 80% for some reason.

First game start after a different GPU driver install will take ages because the game seems to be recompiling stuff in such cases and then running performance assessment again. This is likely to also happen on a first run after an update to CU and may not be Game Mode related.

First game start after a different GPU driver install will take ages because the game seems to be recompiling stuff in such cases and then running performance assessment again. This is likely to also happen on a first run after an update to CU and may not be Game Mode related.

I know. After CU install (with same drivers as before) it started taking longer to load. I thought it was just CU being CU. Updated drivers, still took a while in addition to the configuration. Replayed the next day, loading was still long. Turned off Game Mode: loading was back to pre-CU levels.

Gestault

I was having solid performance @60 (or close enough to it that there was no judder I could identify) since the Blizzard Mountain release patch, but I haven't played as much recently. I'm hoping nothing has shifted out of my favor since then. Mind you I'm on a recent PC build, so I expect I'm in a better boat than some. I wanna say the city area in parrticular still gave me some judder though (not Rainforest Escape though).

Still been keepin an eye on this since launch.

Soooo, sounds like wait until May 9?

We gonna anniversary this thing before it finally runs properly?

I know. After CU install (with same drivers as before) it started taking longer to load. I thought it was just CU being CU. Updated drivers, still took a while in addition to the configuration. Replayed the next day, loading was still long. Turned off Game Mode: loading was back to pre-CU levels.
Luckily didn't seem to impact me. Just got the CU and updated. Started FH3 shortly after and fine. That's the weird thing for me - the two issues I had with the game since at least January have been fixed; the CtD's when entering races in fullscreen (which was really fucking weird) and the terado issue with playing online. Both seem to have been fixed by driver/windows updates, nothing I did. Shame it took more than 3 months to get the game working again.

After changing my 3770 4.1Ghz for a R7 1700 3.8 GHz the game feels way smoother. I wasn't expecting anything, but it does make a surprisingly big difference.

That's very interesting, how much memory did you have before and after the upgrade and how does your current CPU usage look if you don't mind me asking?

I noticed that CPU0 is intensely stressed on some systems with more than 4 threads and the intense stress on CPU0 can lead to frame-rate issues and stuttering.

KdotIX

Yeah this is something which keeps occurring for me also. Its really annoying that I manually have to set it to full-screen every time on launch.

MaDKaT

I really hope that new update is worth while. Fired up the game after a long hiatus since I replaced my cpu a couple days ago and was highly disappointed to see the same issues I had previously. This game should not stutter with a 7700k & 1080.

Uiki

What? So you jumped the gun before they released the patch and then come back with this nonsense? Ok

I played fine for months minus the absimal performance.

Now the game won't even start (and it looks like i'm not alone...) on a fresh windows install and i'm the one in the wrong for not waiting for a patch.

Guess it's nonsense paying for something and expecting it to at least being able to launch it.

"ok".

Izuna

Banned
I played fine for months minus the absimal performance.

Now the game won't even start (and it looks like i'm not alone...) on a fresh windows install and i'm the one in the wrong for not waiting for a patch.

Guess it's nonsense paying for something and expecting it to at least being able to launch it.

"ok".

It's not about right or wrong...

Just... You do you

Skyr

So I ran the game fine with the core 0 and low priority workaround on my GTX 1070. No hitching + nice and steady 60 fps.

Since I installed my 1080 Ti it's back to constant hitching again. It is baffling really. Maybe it's because of the newest nvidia driver, I don't know anymore...

I really hope this patch will finally fix this game.

Leeroy605

Does this game support HDR on PC now? Updated my computer to the creators update and my driver's and saw the option pop up in Windows, but horizon doesn't have an option itself so wasn't sure if it was working or not...

I don't understand why we're giving someone shit for deciding that half a year after launch is enough time to decide it's not worth waiting for the PC port to be good.

Spasm

Anyone wondering about the AMD 17.5.1 drivers... Graphical glitches fixed, FPS a little better than 17.3 or 17.4, still super looong loading times.

The culprit of the constant CtDs ends up being... Aida64 lol, yay 60fps (ish) FH3.

Also the new Nvidia drivers work fine for me, nothing has changed.

One last post from me before the new update which hopefully fixes the PC issues.

For the PC players who are having performance issues I highly recommend checking out my previous post for tweaks in the NVIDIA control panel and the settings I previously used. I've since altered my settings and raised them and still have great performance.

My specs:
CPU: i7 4790K 4.7GHz
GPU: GTX 970 (Core at 1535MHz, Memory at 7560MHz)
Ram: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB 2400MHz

Also, for those who have CPUs with more than 4 threads such as quad core i7s and upwards and are encountering high CPU usage on the first core which leads to stuttering I use a program called System Explorer which enables me to change the affinity and save this change so the game's process doesn't use the first core, like this:

These are the settings I currently use and it runs at a locked 60 fps for me with the exception of some areas in Surfers Paradise.

I took those screenshots with the game windowed, however I always play the game full screen.

I'll be checking out how the game performs with the new update when it goes live, I'm very excited to see what the new update brings!

Hope I can get Xbox one performance with FX 6300 - GTX 760 and 8gb of RAM. It should, as it trumps the console in 95% of games. The good thing is that FH3 30 FPS are the smoother 30 FPS ever, so no problem playing with a FPS cap.

Hope I can get Xbox one performance with FX 6300 - GTX 760 and 8gb of RAM. It should, as it trumps the console in 95% of games. The good thing is that FH3 30 FPS are the smoother 30 FPS ever, so no problem playing with a FPS cap.

I remember jermgaming did a report with same gpu but an overclocked intel 750 and could not get a good experience

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGH3NaTVFY

If this guy doesnt reccomend the pc version, then you can rest assured its extremely bad

nstine

One last post from me before the new update which hopefully fixes the PC issues.

For the PC players who are having performance issues I highly recommend checking out my previous post for tweaks in the NVIDIA control panel and the settings I previously used. I've since altered my settings and raised them and still have great performance.

Just thought I'd point out for any new comers that disabling the Shader Cache in the Nvidia control panel will lead to extremely long load times. Just something to keep in mind. Hopefully the patch today will finally fix the CPU usage/stutter issues so that tweaks like this won't be needed (although I'm not sure how much of a benefit, if any, disabling Shader Cache currently is).

Is the patch out? any info?

I believe they were saying 10 am PST (at least for the hot wheels expansion). The expansion can be pre-loaded currently, but can't be accessed in game yet.

oxidax

I wish they released the update like..now.
There no way im purchasing any more expansions or car packs for this game until it runs good. This is the only update im waiting for to push me into purchasing BI, Porsche car pack and Hot Wheels. If this update doesn't fix the game im bailing on FH3 for good.

Patch should go live in the next 30 minutes or so.

Ah for some reason I thought the expansion would come out first today and then the update. Thanks.

Top Bottom