• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Had to format the entire drive this game was installed to just to be able to uninstall it. For some reason it wasn't available in the uninstall list, didn't show up in Ccleaner, couldn't launch it from the start menu or the Xbox app, it's like it didn't exist - except it was taking up over 50gb on one of my ssd's.

Fucking nightmare through and through both this game, the store and however they protect the folders that stops you deleting them manually.

Now I can't join multiplayer on my PC. It says connected to the internet, Xbox Live services running, NAT type open but Server connectivity is blocked. Tried all of Windows suggestions and I can play other games online.

Now I can't join multiplayer on my PC. It says connected to the internet, Xbox Live services running, NAT type open but Server connectivity is blocked. Tried all of Windows suggestions and I can play other games online.

I had to reset my Teredo a couple days ago. Did you check the "Network" tab in the Xbox app to see if it's functioning properly?

terrible

Banned
I had to reset my Teredo a couple days ago. Did you check the "Network" tab in the Xbox app to see if it's functioning properly?

The Teredo crap is a nightmare to fix. I don't envy anyone that has issues with that. Non of the fixes online work for me. For me it either works or doesn't work depending on the time of day, phase of the moon, or some other random crap.

I tried that. Still saying server connectivity blocked but I can access the auction house, just can't join multiplayer.

Do you have a VPN program installed? It seems that if you have one and it installs a " TAP-Windows Adapter V9" it stops you from joining multiplayer games. You should be able to uninstall it in the device manager. It's a real nuisance and it took me a good while to figure it out.

i wish the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooting could help you fix this stuff, it would solve a lot of headaches if it was able to find the the problem and try and fix it for you instead of just linking you to a webpage about Teredo stuff.

Do you have a VPN program installed? It seems that if you have one and it installs a " TAP-Windows Adapter V9" it stops you from joining multiplayer games. You should be able to uninstall it in the device manager. It's a real nuisance and it took me a good while to figure it out.

i wish the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooting could help you fix this stuff, it would solve a lot of headaches if it was able to find the the problem and try and fix it for you instead of just linking you to a webpage about Teredo stuff.

No VPN installed.

No VPN installed.

Hmm, this stuff is a real nuisance, I didn't manage to fix it for weeks until I found out that a couple of things were stopping it from working.

I know you said you tried all of the Windows suggestions but have you turned off any of the telemetry stuff in Windows 10?
That may contribute to it not working but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't really experimented with it to know for certain about what it affects other than finding out that achievement unlocking doesn't work in some cases.

Hmm, this stuff is a real nuisance, I didn't manage to fix it for weeks until I found out that a couple of things were stopping it from working.

I know you said you tried all of the Windows suggestions but have you turned off any of the telemetry stuff in Windows 10?
That may contribute to it not working but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't really experimented with it to know for certain about what it affects other than finding out that achievement unlocking doesn't work in some cases.

I just tried changing some of that stuff too, didn't work but thanks. I may just have to reinstall Windows 10.

The Stig

I've been using these settings for a couple of days now and they've been proving me a mostly stable 60 fps with my setup.

I believe there's some room for improvements in Reflections and Shadow Quality, maybe even the Static and Dynamic Geometry Quality settings but so far these have provided me the most stable experience with next to no frame-rate drops, maybe 2 or 3 frames on an odd occasion.

CPU: i7 4790K 4.8GHz
Memory: 16GB 2400MHz
GPU: GTX 970 (Core: 1535MHz Memory: 7590MHz)

If you're running a GTX 970 or above and the game is having trouble targeting and holding close to 60 fps my settings may be worth a try.

I've spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what settings in the game have sizable impacts upon the performance and it appears that the "Environment Texture Quality" setting is one of the main culprits, I'm not sure why really but it appears to be putting a notable amount of load on the GPU compared to a couple of the other settings.

This discovery was surprising and fascinating for me, as Texture Quality settings often just consume VRAM with little to no performance impact providing you have an adequate amount of VRAM to house the higher quality textures in memory. In the event that you do not, you may encounter stuttering as-well as unstable frame-rates due to the stuttering.

In my testing I encountered lower frame-rates and higher GPU load, suggesting that it is an intensive feature that increases the load on the GPU.

I believe the Dynamic and Static Geometry settings also have a sizable impact as-well.

For the application settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Horizon 3 I've set the "Shader Cache" to Off and "Power management mode" to Prefer Maximum Performance, I'm unsure whether these settings have an impact on the performance as I haven't tested them extensively, however I've seen that disabling Shader Cache was one of the suggestions mentioned in this thread.

I'll look into testing the impacts of the graphical settings in this game later on in the week, if I discover anything new I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Believe it or not, changing that power management mode setting really helped a lot.

I now get high 80s to mid 90s fps consistently. I can only get it to drop to high 60s in the city (byron bay is it?) when Ive got like 12 cars on screen. This is a marked improvement over what I was getting before (fairly consistent 60fps, but dropping markedly to the 40s on and off making things a bit disorienting.

specs:
i5 6600k @4.4ghz
32gb gskill ddr4 @3000mhz
GTx 1060 3GB core @ 1860mhz, memory @ 8218mhz (typical temp. playing this game is mid 50s C)
installed on SSD.
settings:
http://imgur.com/SlDhuUi
http://i.imgur.com/55J4Oaz.png

thanks for the advice. I was getting frustrated

I just tried changing some of that stuff too, didn't work but thanks. I may just have to reinstall Windows 10.

Ah that's a shame, hopefully if you do reinstall Windows 10 you don't encounter this issue again and enjoy this awesome game!

Believe it or not, changing that power management mode setting really helped a lot.

I now get high 80s to mid 90s fps consistently. I can only get it to drop to high 60s in the city (byron bay is it?) when Ive got like 12 cars on screen. This is a marked improvement over what I was getting before (fairly consistent 60fps, but dropping markedly to the 40s on and off making things a bit disorienting.

specs:
i5 6600k @4.4ghz
GTx 1060 3GB core @ 1860mhz, memory @ 8218mhz (typical temp. playing this game is mid 50s C)
installed on SSD.
settings:

Wow that's great to hear, glad to know it helps!

specs:
i5 6600k @4.4ghz
installed on SSD.
settings:

OK, so RAM is obviously a huge factor. I have the same CPU at the same clockspeed, better GPU (1080), also running from an SSD, and same NVCP settings but I only have 16Gb of DDR4-3000 and there's NO way I can run the game that well with those settings.

(Note that I am running at 1440p though.)

dmix90

I am out of nowhere learned to drive or latest patch actually made a difference with 1 frame input delay setting. Previously had 1 max prerendered frames in nvidia inspector but i think only now with ingame solution this is actually on par with xbox one version. Better late than never Playground! Please keep it up. Playing with 30fps lock and dynamic ultra at 1620p and its a blast(6700k, 970)

aEku

i got multiplayer fixed for me by restarting teredo each time i want to play forza.

go to the device manager, activate "show hidden devices". then under network teredo should show up. deactivate, wait 5 seconds then reactivate.

sadly i have to do this each time i want to play forza, but at least it works now..

a other problem i have is game is crashing with the nvidia drivers from 2017, after some time i rolled back to 376.33 and game freeze is gone.. have to try now if the windows 10 forced 376.5x works :|

The new patch with the prerendered frames option makes a huuuuuuge difference for the 30 fps lock. It went from unplayable input lag to no input lag by setting it to 1 max prerendered frames.

I advise everyone to try 30 fps lock in-game + vsync. It completely eliminates frame-time fluctuations/stuttering. Won't work if you cap it to 30 with external tools, it will stutter like mad.

I would like to try it out, but the game crashes if I choose the 33fps lock (is 33 due to my monitor being 165Hz).

It's a shame because I'd settle with v-synced 33fps if it worked without stuttering.

What happens if you change the refresh rate of your display? Do you still encounter the same issue?

BiggNife

4 months later and who knows how many patches and I still get nonstop frame rate drops on my 1070.

Fuck it, I'm done. Uninstalled. It's a shame because the game itself is pretty great.

Kiyoshi

The game is playable now; with a 30fps lock and pre-rendered frames set to 1.

Have just had a really nice session playing the game without getting annoyed with wild framerate fluctuations or the input lag at 30fps.

MaLDo

The game is playable now; with a 30fps lock and pre-rendered frames set to 1.

Have just had a really nice session playing the game without getting annoyed with wild framerate fluctuations or the input lag at 30fps.

30 fps in a racing game in PC is a FAIL.

The Stig

OK, so RAM is obviously a huge factor. I have the same CPU at the same clockspeed, better GPU (1080), also running from an SSD, and same NVCP settings but I only have 16Gb of DDR4-3000 and there's NO way I can run the game that well with those settings.

(Note that I am running at 1440p though.)

im not sure my copious amount of RAM is the answer. the program doesnt even fill up 16GB in task manager.

i got multiplayer fixed for me by restarting teredo each time i want to play forza.

go to the device manager, activate "show hidden devices". then under network teredo should show up. deactivate, wait 5 seconds then reactivate.

sadly i have to do this each time i want to play forza, but at least it works now..

a other problem i have is game is crashing with the nvidia drivers from 2017, after some time i rolled back to 376.33 and game freeze is gone.. have to try now if the windows 10 forced 376.5x works :|
At last I can go online! Thanks.
I still have crashes when I enter a race in fullscreen If it's windowed (and the game always starts windowed regardless) it's fine. Odd.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yeah, I'm playing this on my boxen now. Since the last few patches, every single session with this game on PC has ended with a crash to the desktop.

Tunned

Got back to the game after a few weeks of not touching it. The latest update reset my graphics setup, but I remember my preset so that is fine, only thing is, the game runs way worse than when I last played it. It usually maintained a stable 60fps, but now it tends to fall into the mid 50s and low 40s(!) wherever...

Thanks Playground for f-ing up this already f-ed up PC port of your great game. I really hope Forza 7 does not suffer the same fait on PC.

Also fuck everything about the Windows store.

Got back to the game after a few weeks of not touching it. The latest update reset my graphics setup, but I remember my preset so that is fine, only thing is, the game runs way worse than when I last played it. It usually maintained a stable 60fps, but now it tends to fall into the mid 50s and low 40s(!) wherever...

Thanks Playground for f-ing up this already f-ed up PC port of your great game. I really hope Forza 7 does not suffer the same fait on PC.

Also fuck everything about the Windows store.

I think Forza 7 has a decent chance of not being awful because Apex performed better than Horizon 3 did, and I thought I read that Apex was on an improved version of the Forza engine that actually handles multiple threads properly unlike Horizon 3.

But yeah, Playground and Microsoft really screwed the pooch here. Every time I come back to this thread hoping to see improvements, it's just another set of "this game is fucked." Though I may try the game/Nvidia settings posted earlier to see if they help.

This game is so weird. Used to be I could maintain 60fps everywhere with LelouchZero's settings, but now the tram street gets me down to 55 again, even though the start of Rainforest Escape is still fine.

So I said "fuck it", maxed everything out except for High shadows and unlocked the framerate. 70-100 fps basically everywhere, except for the tram street, but with Max Prerendered frames set to 1 it's actually surprisingly playable and the tearing doesn't really bother me as much as it does in other games.

Prefer Max Performance and AF16x in NVCP, 1440p, 6600K @ 4.4, 16Gb @ 3000, GTX 1080.

xpsycho87x

Neo Member
I haven't played the game for months.. I used to cap it to 50fps on my 50hz TV to get steady fps with my gtx 970. Is it possible to get 60fps now with the updates?

Patrick S.

Banned
I haven't played the game for months.. I used to cap it to 50fps on my 50hz TV to get steady fps with my gtx 970. Is it possible to get 60fps now with the updates?

It's gotten worse rather than better. Funny thing with this game is, what I just said is true for me and my PC, but might be untrue on yours. I've given up on the PC version, but mostly because of repeated crashing to desktop.

Trojan X

Banned
Can someone provide a quick summary of the game's performance state? It seems like quite varied so I don't have a clear picture of what's going on. Heck, in fact, it's quite amazing how this game has almost fallen off the radar compared to other competitor titles.

Patrick S.

Banned
Can someone provide a quick summary of the game's performance state? It seems like quite varied so I don't have a clear picture of what's going on. Heck, in fact, it's quite amazing how this game has almost fallen off the radar compared to other competitor titles.

At 30 fps it's awesome and buttery, but prone to crashes. At 60 fps, or better said, targeted 60 fps, it's choppy and performs like shit one day, and the next day it runs fine. Until it crashes.

I think it's incredibly varied. On the latest patch with the pre-rendered frames set to 1 I have no issues with the game at all on my PC running at 4k@30.

i7 3770k @ 4.2ghz
GTX1080
16gb RAM.

it's buttery smooth with no crashes and looks incredible.

Miker

The prerendered frames setting (set to 1) definitely helps with input lag at 30 fps, although I can't quantify just how much. I think there's still a tiny bit of input lag, but it might be inherent to 30 fps. The last time I played a 30 fps racer was maybe Mario Kart 64 so I can't say for sure.

The prerendered frames setting (set to 1) definitely helps with input lag at 30 fps, although I can't quantify just how much. I think there's still a tiny bit of input lag, but it might be inherent to 30 fps. The last time I played a 30 fps racer was maybe Mario Kart 64 so I can't say for sure.

It is much better than I remember before without that option. The game now runs rock solid at 30fps and makes a huge difference than the stuttering I was getting before when I tried at 60fps.

So for unknown reasons (unsurprisingly) no longer getting CtD's when entering races in fullscreen. However it's impossible to go online. Restarting the Terado tunneling bollocks no longer works. A complete failure.

dr_rus

So for unknown reasons (unsurprisingly) no longer getting CtD's when entering races in fullscreen. However it's impossible to go online. Restarting the Terado tunneling bollocks no longer works. A complete failure.

Inability to go online is almost 100% a sign of badly configured firewall or network in general.

Inability to go online is almost 100% a sign of badly configured firewall or network in general.
Firewall is unchanged and I have an Open NAT. No idea what the Terado setting is on my router as I've looked and seen no mention of it. I can only assume there is a change on my PC but what it is and how it was done I have no idea. And as all my Steam, Uplay and Origin games play fine online for Microsoft to be the odd one out well, more fool them.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
.....*waiting on 1080Ti users for their impressions on performance improvements if any*.....

BubbaMc

Very impressed with the performance of this game.

Locked 60fps with perfect frame pacing and zero input lag. Feels like a true arcade racer - zero tearing!

Other devs should take notice!

Very impressed with the performance of this game.

Locked 60fps with perfect frame pacing and zero input lag. Feels like a true arcade racer - zero tearing!

Other devs should take notice!

Good for you! But:

1. What specs and settings are you running?

2. Have you gotten to Surfer's Paradise yet?

One update (no idea which) completely borked the game for me, it starts up, goes past the logos and then crashes my graphics driver, then force closes.

Top Bottom