• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Windows Store is a disgrace. It simply will not download the latest update. Sticks on 1.94mb....I've tried opening/closoing and pausing/resuming.

Xbox needs to turn their Xbox App on PC into a storefront and abandon Windows Store if they want success.

rrs

After a while, even the cars start jerking around as you pass them.. and I'm running the game off of a NVMe SSD..
The game streams fine off a 7.2k disk drive, it's just no matter how anyone slices it, this game was made with 30 FPS in mind and any higher framerate was an afterthought. Everything from the cpu load having questionable balancing (esp. on the tram road in surfer's paradise), to dynamic optimization that seems to do a load of no good, and various parts of the game just pushing way more polygons than the rest of the game add up to a hot mess of framerates that don't add up to 60 Hz.

Shotterke

So Blizzard Mountain made everything worse for me.

i5 4690k@4,4ghz
GTX 1070
3440x1440
Installed on a SSD.

Playing on high locked @ 30fps and since Blizzard Mountain it's like my game sometimes (every 5 seconds or so) freezes for a millisecond making it unplayable.

CPU, GPU, ram nothing is at 100% so I see no reason for these freezes. I'm so disappointed in PG.

reektann

I'm playing at 4K output to my TV at 60 with 2xAA on a 6700k gtx1080 and it really does look glorious on a large screen. Performance is very solid with very brief drops to 50+ when looking behind at a sea of cars etc.

This has come on leaps and bounds for me - performance wise.

So I went to buy the expansion and I fired up the main game first. New update broke it and now it wont load properly. I press A on the main menu and crash. Looks like I am saving money on the expansion.

So I went to buy the expansion and I fired up the main game first. New update broke it and now it wont load properly. I press A on the main menu and crash. Looks like I am saving money on the expansion.

Was thinking of buying this in the sale, since I hoped all the problems had been fixed by now. Guess not :\

j-wood

Well, I'm about to give up on this game on PC. Beyond frustrating.

I have a gaming laptop with a 1060 (6gb variant), a 6700HQ, and 16GB of ram.

I have a gaming desktop with a 970, a 6700k, and 16 GB.

Game runs like shit on both of them. On the gaming laptop, I have it set to high settings, and the 60fps setting. Game regularly dips to 45 at least.

On my desktop and laptop, running in 30 fps is not an option. for a reason I cannot figure out, my controller in 30 fps mode has horrendous input lag. There is a 2 second delay from me push a stick all the way left or right and that action taking place on screen. Doesn't matter if I have the controller wired or using the official wireless adapter.

Ugh.

I have a gaming laptop with a 1060 (6gb variant), a 6700HQ, and 16GB of ram.

I have a gaming desktop with a 970, a 6700k, and 16 GB.

Game runs like shit on both of them. On the gaming laptop, I have it set to high settings, and the 60fps setting. Game regularly dips to 45 at least.

On my desktop and laptop, running in 30 fps is not an option. for a reason I cannot figure out, my controller in 30 fps mode has horrendous input lag. There is a 2 second delay from me push a stick all the way left or right and that action taking place on screen. Doesn't matter if I have the controller wired or using the official wireless adapter.

Ugh.

all known and confirmed issues. you can have a decent experience if you have a gsync/freesync monitor and lock your framerate to the lowest level to which you drop. otherwise youre better off playing it on an xbone

For some reason both this and Gears 4 are locked at 30FPS for me. Gears lets me select higher framerate locks but stays at 30FPs, and Forza won't even let me go beyond the 30 FPS locked.
Non-Windows store games are fine. I've checked that my display is set to 60Hz and I've disabled game DVR. Any ideas what's causing this?

For some reason both this and Gears 4 are locked at 30FPS for me. Gears lets me select higher framerate locks but stays at 30FPs, and Forza won't even let me go beyond the 30 FPS locked.
Non-Windows store games are fine. I've checked that my display is set to 60Hz and I've disabled game DVR. Any ideas what's causing this?

Have you got DSR or super resolution turned on in your driver? Sounds like an odd EDID issue at first glance.
The game isn't playable at 60FPS. Install Nvidia inspector and set the frame-limiter to 30FPSV2 in the application. This is what I use for a stable frame-rate and signficatly less input lag than the built in limiter.

Decided to jump back in and see if the new patches did anything. My system specs:

GTX 970
i5 3570k (not OC'ed, yeah yeah I know)
16GB DDR3-1600

I run at 1920x1200. Even after dropping everything to low and closing most of my open applications (something I haven't had to do to make a game run okay in years), I still see my system struggling to hit solid 30fps. Removed vsync and the frame limiter in-game and used Nvidia Inspector to enforce vsync and set a 45fps cap, still nothing. Even at this almost-30fps, the game action speeds up and slows down constantly, making it hard to do any sort of precision driving. It's a hot mess.

Until I use Windows 10's built-in recording tools to start a recording. As soon as I do that, THEN the framerate suddenly jumps to 45fps and the lurching back and forth seems to mostly disappear, which is the total opposite of what you'd expect (recording being more intensive and all). If I stop recording, the 45fps sticks, but only for a few seconds, and then I'm back in garbage almost-30 territory. I'm about to try changing my settings back to the recommended Dynamic Medium to see if the results stick.

Why on earth would using the Xbox app's recording stuff suddenly fix things? Could it be the Windows 10 recording overlay that shows up on the screen causing the game to realize it should maybe kind of do its job properly? Anyone else experience this?

Removed vsync and the frame limiter in-game and used Nvidia Inspector to enforce vsync and set a 45fps cap, still nothing. Even at this almost-30fps, the game action speeds up and slows down constantly, making it hard to do any sort of precision driving. It's a hot mess.

Don't do this, as it affects the physics and it really does become unplayable. Stick to 30 or 60 - preferably 30.
Until I use Windows 10's built-in recording tools...
Why on earth would using the Xbox app's recording stuff suddenly fix things? Could it be the Windows 10 recording overlay that shows up on the screen causing the game to realize it should maybe kind of do its job properly? Anyone else experience this?
Disabling Xbox DVR has been a must for this since launch. Try disabling it completely and see what the performance is like.

Don't do this, as it affects the physics and it really does become unplayable. Stick to 30 or 60 - preferably 30.

Disabling Xbox DVR has been a must for this since launch. Try disabling it completely and see what the performance is like.

It's actually totally playable at 45fps, so long as my system can maintain it. Parts of Surfer's Paradise cause issues, but in the outback it's quite fluid and stable.

That said, I switched to both a 30 and a 60fps cap. Didn't fix my initial issue. I'd actually originally had it at 30fps and only changed it to 45fps to make sure Nvidia Inspector wasn't artificially causing the awful speed-up/slow-down behavior.

As for the Game DVR, I just tried turning it off. I went to the Xbox app settings and set the "Record screenshots and video using Game DVR" option to off, which also turns off all the shortcut config options. It also removed the game bar from inside Forza, so I assume that is as turned off as you can get. Still get the almost-30 speed-up/slow-down bullshit.

Turning back on the Game DVR and starting a recording while in Forza is the ONLY way to remove the almost-30 stuff. I just tried it again with the 60fps cap in place via Inspector and the difference is night and day: as soon as I start recording, it immediately jumps to solid 60 and feels playable again.

I'll try and get Shadowplay desktop capture working to see if I can record the phenomenon. It's really bizarre.

EDIT: Though it seems that the longer I play, the lesser the improvement in performance. I don't know.

EDIT 2: Here's video I recorded using Shadowplay.

I'm done. Just entered a Surfer's Paradise championship made up of circuit races, and despite having already done a Surfer's Paradise circuit race earlier in the same session, suddenly performance was abysmal: drops to 10-15 fps with frequent stuttering.

Microsoft and Playground should be ashamed that their flagship racing game is this awful on PC three months after release. At least I can play this shitbox of a game on Xbox One, where it won't actually be awful. But this makes me extremely hesitant to buy any more Microsoft games on PC until they prove to everyone that they can actually make a PC port that isn't garbage.

Footage I captured from that race: https://youtu.be/bXOsVFdv3HQ

LilJoka

I'm done. Just entered a Surfer's Paradise championship made up of circuit races, and despite having already done a Surfer's Paradise circuit race earlier in the same session, suddenly performance was abysmal: drops to 10-15 fps with frequent stuttering.

Microsoft and Playground should be ashamed that their flagship racing game is this awful on PC three months after release. At least I can play this shitbox of a game on Xbox One, where it won't actually be awful. But this makes me extremely hesitant to buy any more Microsoft games on PC until they prove to everyone that they can actually make a PC port that isn't garbage.

Footage I captured from that race: https://youtu.be/bXOsVFdv3HQ

I have a 6700k 4.4ghz and overclocked GTX 970. Ran a mix of medium, high and ultra at 1080p and finished the game. The lowest dips were in the 45-48fps region but these were at starts of races, raining+night in forest or surfers paradise sections. Throughout the game there are small stutters though. No way as bad as your video.

Have you looked at CPU and GPU utilisation in these areas?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Game ran fine yesterday, maxes out at 26 fps now, wtf have they done?

EDIT: Nevermind, background program caused it

RedFury

Wtf happened. Played the game without a problem even talked about how well it play in another thread. Play everything ultra 1440 at 30fps (I don't mind console quality. The way I see Xbox app is a Xbox ecosystem replacement. I think hoping for better the console quality from MS on PC is a pipe dream. Different discussion though, I'm ok with it as long as I don't have to add another box under my tv.).

Nothings changed an now I'm getting crazy hitches where the screen will freeze frames in motion and look like a damn expressionist painting. It's like stutter but everything blurs never seen anything like that before.

DarkestHour

Banned
I found the game ran much smoother for me by turning off the dynamic optimizations. I just went in and manually set settings and it's much smoother. I still get stuttering without frame smoothing on but I've lost hope that will ever be fixed.

So I'm getting a crash to desktop when I start the game and hit "Continue". First time I quit during the intial race/tutorial, so I figured maybe I corrupted the save or something. I went into Win10 apps & features, reset the game, started a fresh save, played for an hour, quit, and now I can't continue again. Any fix for this?

edit:
Yep, atm I have to reset the app every time before I load up the game. This is total bullshit. On top of just being a hassle, it also takes about 2 minutes to actually get into the game because of the unskippable intro scenes and the "optimizing for your PC" thing that happens any time after resetting. Also need to reconfigure all the graphics options to whatever the magic combination is that doesn't have terrible stuttering. I really don't get too upset about bad PC ports, but jesus what a waste of money. I can't believe a crash to desktop whenever the game is loaded is still in the game months after release.

So I'm getting a crash to desktop when I start the game and hit "Continue". First time I quit during the intial race/tutorial, so I figured maybe I corrupted the save or something. I went into Win10 apps & features, reset the game, started a fresh save, played for an hour, quit, and now I can't continue again. Any fix for this?

edit:
Yep, atm I have to reset the app every time before I load up the game. This is total bullshit. On top of just being a hassle, it also takes about 2 minutes to actually get into the game because of the unskippable intro scenes and the "optimizing for your PC" thing that happens any time after resetting. Also need to reconfigure all the graphics options to whatever the magic combination is that doesn't have terrible stuttering. I really don't get too upset about bad PC ports, but jesus what a waste of money. I can't believe a crash to desktop whenever the game is loaded is still in the game months after release.

Figured out what the problem was for me, I have a 165hz monitor and the game does not work well with it for some reason. I needed to choose a more normal refresh rate, game loads fine for me now.

I'm sure this is probably not even remotely useful info for any of you guys, but I've found that when I have Chrome running in the background this game runs like dogshit and when I close it I gain like, 15fps by magic. So maybe try that and see if it helps. I'm sure this isn't anything new though.

scitek

I'm sure this is probably not even remotely useful info for any of you guys, but I've found that when I have Chrome running in the background this game runs like dogshit and when I close it I gain like, 15fps by magic. So maybe try that and see if it helps. I'm sure this isn't anything new though.

Try running Edge and see if you actually gain FPS.

tuna_love

Banned
i have to minimise everything, even the xbox app or it runs even worse

Ghazi

The lowest the game allows me to cap the framerate at is 36 fps due to having a 144hz monitor, would that still adversely affect the physics?

tuna_love

Banned
The lowest the game allows me to cap the framerate at is 36 fps due to having a 144hz monitor, would that still adversely affect the physics?
its not the physics that fuck up, its everything else, lod, pop in and stutters get worse the higher i go. can you change the refresh rate of monitor?

supersaw

So Windows started to throw low space warnings i fired up WinDirStat to see where the problem was after the quick realisation that I wasn't seeing everything i ran it as admin and lo and behold two copies of opus weighing in at 50+ gig so I open the App Store and sure enough 53.88gb patch downloading.

Surely this is the one that gives us locked 60 guys.

leng jai

Just downloaded Blizzard Mountain. Still the same shit on my setup when I try 60fps, just constantly drops to 53/54fps on the more demanding races no matter what settings I try.

Domstercool

Widge

I had to do this with FFXIII. It ran like absolute turd unless I did it from a fresh boot and did not touch a single thing apart from booting the game up.

MaLDo

So Windows started to throw low space warnings i fired up WinDirStat to see where the problem was after the quick realisation that I wasn't seeing everything i ran it as admin and lo and behold two copies of opus weighing in at 50+ gig so I open the App Store and sure enough 53.88gb patch downloading.

Surely this is the one that gives us locked 60 guys.

Is the same full game again (debug version o_O), they fucked up the game by error. I mean in a new way.

Bydobob

Not sure what problems tuna is having but since locking at 48fps (144hz) I haven't looked back. I even run without framerate smoothing now.

Hip Hop

Anyone have long loading times? For the past few days I have had to wait a minute or two for the game to load after a fast travel or starting a race.

Top Bottom