• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

nstine

(game loads VERY slowly for some reason though)

It's loading slowly because you turned off the shader cache.

For the guy who is crashing after moving the game install, you can try resetting the game to default settings in your pc settings -> system -> apps and features -> forza horizon 3 -> advanced options. Note this may delete your local save file, but it should sync your save from the cloud.

For the guy who had his fps seemingly locked to a low fps that sounds like your gpu driver may have crashed. Try disabling it and re-enabling it in device manager.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For the guy who is crashing after moving the game install, you can try resetting the game to default settings in your pc settings -> system -> apps and features -> forza horizon 3 -> advanced options. Note this may delete your local save file, but it should sync your save from the cloud.

Tried that and still had the same problem. Rebooted, turned off mic, all the usual google search solutions. Still crashing and it was fine a few weeks ago.

I deleted and am now redownloading and seeing how that goes. But ugh, only thing that changed on my PC since last playing were Nvidia drivers really.

Edit: Redownloading fixed my issue. I guess it is to be expected not to trust Windows App "Move" installation feature for this stuff. Was hoping to avoid 50gb of redownloading, but I guess it was necessary. Game working great now

rrs

btw I heard some of you got ShadowPlay working in Forza. May I ask how you did that?
capture desktop with OBS set to use NVEMC, although it doesn't like to be used with vram hogs (so, forza horizon 3) Maybe I'll have better luck with studio?

Yeah. The demo runs like absolute horse shit on my system (2600k@4,2), regardless of the settings which is even funnier. 60fps are completely off the table. No way for me to judge for myself whether the full game will run at acceptable levels or not.

What the hell is this game even doing
I had a 2500K@4.2 w/1333 Mhz RAM, trust me the CPU will kiss goodbye to a locked 60 FPS

capture desktop with OBS set to use NVEMC, although it doesn't like to be used with vram hogs (so, forza horizon 3) Maybe I'll have better luck with studio?

I had a 2500K@4.2 w/1333 Mhz RAM, trust me the CPU will kiss goodbye to a locked 60 FPS

The 1333MHz ram would have been holding it back, that CPU greatly benefits from faster memory such as 2133MHz memory.

I have no idea about this game though, I want to thoroughly test the full version across two CPUs as I know someone who has a 2600K rig.

Yeah. The demo runs like absolute horse shit on my system (2600k@4,2), regardless of the settings which is even funnier. 60fps are completely off the table. No way for me to judge for myself whether the full game will run at acceptable levels or not.

What the hell is this game even doing

This game is incredibly demanding. I don't know if the demo version is updating to the same build as the full version or not, but it's hard to get a lock on 60 fps with my PC, even at XBO equivalent settings with a GTX 970 and an OC'd i7 4790K.

What GPU do you have and what's the speed of your ram?

Great, can't even start the game anymore. It's just stuck at the startup logo.

edit: Wow, now I can't even reach the startup logo. Straight up nothing happens when I start it.

horkrux

This game is incredibly demanding. I don't know if the demo version is updating to the same build as the full version or not, but it's hard to get a lock on 60 fps with my PC, even at XBO equivalent settings with a GTX 970 and an OC'd i7 4790K.

What GPU do you have and what's the speed of your ram?

RAM is 2133MHz, 980ti

I just caved and bought the game. Jesus, the game still performs like ass on that CPU. Even if I set everything to low (I guess geometry detail is the most important?) I still can't prevent it from dropping 1-3 frames regularly.

There is no saving this. And since I can't enjoy 30fps because of the input lag either, I'd rather just play this on Xbox. What a waste.

RAM is 2133MHz, 980ti

I just caved and bought the game. Jesus, the game still performs like ass on that CPU. Even if I set everything to low (I guess geometry detail is the most important?) I still can't prevent it from dropping 1-3 frames regularly.

There is no saving this. And since I can't enjoy 30fps because of the input lag either, I'd rather just play this on Xbox. What a waste.

Damn that's a really good rig, I don't understand how a CPU as powerful as the i7 2600K at 4.2GHz can struggle to run this at 60 fps, I have to wonder if 60 fps will ever be achievable without the highest end hardware.

The Xbox One's CPU is a fraction of the 2600K, something must have gone awfully wrong with the PC version of Horizon 3 if achieving 60 fps is such a difficult thing to do.

Spook_485

Neo Member
Thats why Xbox is running at 30 FPS and not 60.

I have an i7 6700k with 3200mhz RAM and pretty much play at 60FPS+ for 99% of the time at maxed out settings with 8xMSAA. It rarely ever drops below 60. And when it does, its just for a fraction of a second and never more than a couple FPS. You usually don't notice them. And I consider myself very sensitive regarding fluctuating FPS.

Thats also why I am asking how to get Shadowplay to work. To post some performance videos. Other recording tools have an impact on the FPS so they are out of question.

However, I am not denying that the game should run much better on mid-end systems. It runs like crap.

RAM is 2133MHz, 980ti

i cant believe after trying the demo and seeing how bad it was you bought the game

Urthor

I mean it should still be able to lock to 30fps on PC just like on Xbox. But yeah this is just sad. Developers not making the effort to move games to PC obviously, probably because Microsoft demands on parity between Xbox and PC.

I mean it should still be able to lock to 30fps on PC just like on Xbox. But yeah this is just sad. Developers not making the effort to move games to PC obviously, probably because Microsoft demands on parity between Xbox and PC.
It's stuttering like crazy even in 30fps, unfortunately.

For me personally, I have a 144hz gsync monitor. I have another 4K monitor that is connected to my PC as well. I'm able to select and play at 4K without the need for DSR on my 1440p gsync monitor. I max the game out completely and also select 8xMSAA, I leave vsync off but set the framerate to 48fps. For me it runs absolutely perfect at that framerate. I feel no input lag (feels the exact same as XO if not better) and frame pacing is perfect, the game runs smooth and the "rubber banding" or fluctuation (for lack of a better word) is non existant. No matter where I go in the games world or what I do.. ie flying down Surfer's Paradise and smashing head first into oncoming traffic.. nothing causes it to dip or stutter. If I set the FPS to 72, then I get that fluctuating feeling where the game runs fast then slows then fast again. Even though I can maintain over 60fps.

My PC is really high spec tho (i7 6700k, 2xGTX1080SLI, 32GB RAM) and everything is overclocked.

But yea, for me 48fps feels really great, and gives me the consistent experience I expect. Obviously I'm not saying that this is ok.. we should be locking this game at 60fps and things would ideally be smoother and more responsive, but for myself, and with the state of the port in general, it's great and definitely better than my experience with the XO version. I dunno if it's gsync doing it's wonder or simply the fact that the monitor has such a high refresh rate, but when I play the game on my 4K monitor at exactly the same 48fps lock, it feels nowhere near as smooth as on the gsync monitor.

Sydle

Mine is locked to 30 with rare exceptions in Surfer's Paradise where it drops to 28fps for a second or two and I have never once seen stutter that ctw0e experiences. I think if I had a better CPU (I have i7 3770k) it would be always locked.

I can get pretty consistent 60fps performance except in the city and a couple parts of the jungle where it drops to mid 50's often enough that it's a bother.

At any rate, it's much improved over its launch status and I'm hoping they keep working on it.

Anyone experience the game not saving graphics settings? I have to set them every time I launch the game.

Also fps is great at 80 but the stuttering in surfers paradise is still rough. Are they still pushing patches or is this the best its going to be?

Sickbean

For me personally, I have a 144hz gsync monitor. I have another 4K monitor that is connected to my PC as well. I'm able to select and play at 4K without the need for DSR on my 1440p gsync monitor. I max the game out completely and also select 8xMSAA, I leave vsync off but set the framerate to 48fps. For me it runs absolutely perfect at that framerate. I feel no input lag (feels the exact same as XO if not better) and frame pacing is perfect, the game runs smooth and the "rubber banding" or fluctuation (for lack of a better word) is non existant. No matter where I go in the games world or what I do.. ie flying down Surfer's Paradise and smashing head first into oncoming traffic.. nothing causes it to dip or stutter. If I set the FPS to 72, then I get that fluctuating feeling where the game runs fast then slows then fast again. Even though I can maintain over 60fps.

My PC is really high spec tho (i7 6700k, 2xGTX1080SLI, 32GB RAM) and everything is overclocked.

But yea, for me 48fps feels really great, and gives me the consistent experience I expect. Obviously I'm not saying that this is ok.. we should be locking this game at 60fps and things would ideally be smoother and more responsive, but for myself, and with the state of the port in general, it's great and definitely better than my experience with the XO version. I dunno if it's gsync doing it's wonder or simply the fact that the monitor has such a high refresh rate, but when I play the game on my 4K monitor at exactly the same 48fps lock, it feels nowhere near as smooth as on the gsync monitor.

What are you using to lock the framerate? RTSS?

Anyone experience the game not saving graphics settings? I have to set them every time I launch the game.

Also fps is great at 80 but the stuttering in surfers paradise is still rough. Are they still pushing patches or is this the best its going to be?
I know settings are reset every time a gpu driver is updated. Never had it continue to reset afterwards though.
As for patches well there is the new DLC so maybe some tweaking to come? I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though.

Sydle

Still pushing patches. Last one was on Nov 30th.

Game is running pretty much flawlessly for me. There's nothing to fix left - beside some settings related stuff like the choosing of localization based on Windows settings which is as asinine as it gets.

Oh does it? So you can run at xbone settings at a constant 120 fps or higher?

The game performs as expected at very high resolutions because that negates the bottlenecks hence why some people say 'it's fixed'. What they fail to realise is how that doesn't scale downwards, meaning everyone below a 1080 isn't getting 60fps minimums, regardless of res or settings even though they might be getting near 50fps at 4K.

TLDR; The game doesn't perform anywhere near on par with the console release at 1080p relative to hardware.

Carlius

Banned
Please tell me you are joking.

where is he joking? i am getting pretty good perfoamnce too on 1070 6700k, no dips below 60 at all.

only issue i have is that sometimes i see a little micro stutter, but nothing that takes away anything from the experience. so yes, hes not joking.

I can only go by the demo but I was able to get a gtx 950 and a i5 6500 to run the game at 1080 30 without much of an issue, game looks beautiful and some of the views put horizon 2 to bed.

60fps was another story, a bad story.

For those with vsync 30 lag issues try setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel, it should make less of a buffer window for inputs.

no dips below 60 at all.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

The game performs as expected at very high resolutions because that negates the bottlenecks hence why some people say 'it's fixed'. What they fail to realise is how that doesn't scale downwards, meaning everyone below a 1080 isn't getting 60fps minimums, regardless of res or settings even though they might be getting near 50fps at 4K.

TLDR; The game doesn't perform anywhere near on par with the console release at 1080p relative to hardware.
The game performs as expected if you use settings that keep you gpu limited at <50 fps. 60hz monitor users are basically fucked

Gestault

My performance has gotten slightly worse when targeting 60 fps. I've finished the main game at this point, but man, there's a lot to be annoyed by this this PC port, even ignoring the absolutely worst-case scenarios. I've gone from close-to-ideal to these more frequent jitters with the most recent patch(es?).

I tried disabling G-Sync and most of the stuttering is gone now, at least in the area I'm in at the moment.

It's weird because I struggled with enabling G-Sync in the first place, but now when I turned it off it's actually playable for the first time. Not sure how I feel about that trade-off, but at least it's playable!

dr_rus

The why isnt relevant. I dont think you can even maintain a locked, stutter free 60 at xbone settings even tho youre rocking a 6850k and a gtx1080

The why is relevant because I play at 60Hz, not 120. I see no point in saying that the game magically must run at 120Hz to be "playable". There's also no technical reasoning behind this as nothing in the specs or code states that each Xbox One 30 fps game must run at 120 fps on all PCs out there.

The fact is that I can perfectly play this game in 4K (!) at ~60 fps (some dips do happen but it's not like there are many games where they don't) is enough for me to say that it's "fixed" and "runs flawlessly". This may not be the case on 970s and other older h/w but I have no access to these cards so can't say anything about it.

The why is relevant because I play at 60Hz, not 120. I see no point in saying that the game magically must run at 120Hz to be "playable". There's also no technical reasoning behind this as nothing in the specs or code states that each Xbox One 30 fps game must run at 120 fps on all PCs out there.

The fact is that I can perfectly play this game in 4K (!) at ~60 fps (some dips do happen but it's not like there are many games where they don't) is enough for me to say that it's "fixed" and "runs flawlessly". This may not be the case on 970s and other older h/w but I have no access to these cards so can't say anything about it.

Cpu over 4x as powerful and gpu 8x as powerful gives you <2x the framerate. Sounds like a great port

The fact is that I can perfectly play this game in 4K (!)
No one has ever complained about the 4K performance in this game, there is nothing to fix with 4K, but that's not the issue. Drop it to 1080p and see how pathetic the performance is relative to the console. The XB1 maintains 30 constantly, and yet there are races that drop a 980Ti/1070 down to 45fps at similar settings.

Miker

Upgraded from a 3570K to a 6700K to match my 1070 and performance is exactly the same. Still get dips to 45 going down tram street in the city in 1080p, and still have input lag w/ in-game 30 fps lock. Rather bummed.

Top Bottom