• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazakhstan officials detain tourist, believing New Zealand wasn't a country

Does New Zealand exist?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

A KIWI tourist says she was detained in Kazakhstan after immigration officials refused to believe New Zealand was a country, insisting it was actually a state of Australia.

Chloe Phillips-Harris, 28, arrived at Kazakhstan’s Almaty Airport in May after being assured by the New Zealand embassy she would be able to enter the Central Asian country on her Kiwi passport.

“I landed in Kazakhstan on the last flight of the night, and I got to an immigration booth and they asked me for an Australian passport, and told me I couldn’t come in without an Australian passport,” Ms Phillips-Harris told the Herald.

“They said New Zealand’s clearly a part of Australia.”

Ms Phillips-Harris said New Zealand was missing from a map of the world in the room she was interrogated in, which made it impossible for her to convince Kazakhstan immigration officials that her home country really existed.
I wonder what they'd say if you told them that New Zealand was its own continent...

I would have assumed basic world geography would have been a prerequisite for being an immigration official, but this life thing keeps surprising me.

Not that I can talk. My geography is atrocious. Really should work on that over the holiday break. Any recommendations?

I would have assumed basic world geography would have been a prerequisite for being an immigration official, but this life thing keeps surprising me.

Not that I can talk. My geography is atrocious. Really should work on that over the holiday break. Any recommendations?

I used this site just recently because I needed to know every country for a college class. Actually worked, and I ended up acing the test for it.

Immigration officials couldn't have just gone to Wikipedia for two seconds?

This world would be much better if people were more aware they can just google something in a minute to clear up a problem.

Not that this avoids the whole fake news problem (googling certain terms can default to right-wing biased definitions!), but hey, it's a start from just our flawed memories.

Maybe as the more tech savvy generations get older...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thread title confused me greatly. I thought the Borat character was back and talking about his disbelief in the Lord of the Rings movies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If this story was based in china, would your thread title be 'If you asked Jackie Chan'

You missed the part where Borat was shockingly ignorant and these officials were too.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If this story was based in china, would your thread title be 'If you asked Jackie Chan'

Jackie Chan is a real person and not a humorous character, so no it wouldn't. And even if he were, I wouldn't call a Chinese person Jackie Chan, just as I haven't called any Kazakhstani person Borat.

LOFZCf4.jpg

Media

New Zealand: the New Mexico of the world.

(For New Zealanders, New Mexicans get the opposite: the rest of the US tends to forget or just not know New Mexico is a state, and thinks it's another country)

darscot

This is pretty funny, I assumed it all worked out. Officials in other countries are not always very educated or informed. There are lots of stories that the best use of Canadian Tire money is for paying petty bribes in third world countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom