• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazakhstan officials detain tourist, believing New Zealand wasn't a country

Does New Zealand exist?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jackie Chan is a real person and not a humorous character, so no it wouldn't. And even if he were, I wouldn't call a Chinese person Jackie Chan, just as I haven't called any Kazakhstani person Borat.
I don't even think you're in the wrong, but this defence is terrible. Chon Wang is a humourous character more easily associated to the name Jackie Chan then to 'Chon Wang', marking the difference at the character name seems pedantic at best.

Plum

XtEsXnw.gif

I admit I was too lazy to just Google it but thanks anyway :)

Hypron

I can't believe they refused to change their flag. The new options were so cool.

Nah they all looked like shit. The entire thing was terribly organised, they should have selected some concepts and then iteratively improved upon them instead of directly asking us which one we wanted to replace or current one.

You know, if it was Americans doing this, I wouldn't even be surprised.

I just figured that Kazakhstan of all places would be a little more sensitive about people mistakenly thinking their country is made up.

jstripes

Banned
Nah they all looked like shit. The entire thing was terribly organised, they should have selected some concepts and then iteratively improved upon them instead of directly asking us which one we wanted to replace or current one.

We changed our flag in Canada in the '60s without any sort of referendum.

Conservatives cried about it for a short while after, and then it simply calmed down.

Mupod

This world would be much better if people were more aware they can just google something in a minute to clear up a problem.

Not that this avoids the whole fake news problem (googling certain terms can default to right-wing biased definitions!), but hey, it's a start from just our flawed memories.

Maybe as the more tech savvy generations get older...

as someone who works at IT I had to laugh at this a bit. I've met 22 year olds with the technological knowledge of my grandma when it was 1995. I've also solved problems by walking up to someone's desk, googling the answer and then doing what it said.

Window

Yeah the lack of NZ on many maps is something kiwis are well aware off. I remember there being a small controversy with its omission from the Universal Studios logo some time a go.

Tugatrix

New Zealand was assembled for Lord of the Rings and then after disassembled that's why the Hobbit is mostly CGI scenery

just kidding

Hypron

We changed our flag in Canada in the '60s without any sort of referendum.

Conservatives cried about it for a short while after, and then it simply calmed down.

The Canadian flag is a whole lot better than what we had to chose from. The flag that was chosen felt completely half-assed, they just stuck a fern in the corner of the current one and chose a slightly different shade of blue (which looked worse). We deserve better than that.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I read the title as Kardashian (which is in my phones autocorrect dictionary, creepy) which raised all sorts of questions.

Anyway, we all know The Lord Of The Rings was set in a fictional location therefore it is only logical that New Zealand isn't real. Maps showing this mythical place may as well show Jurassic Park on there too.

SJRB

Gold Member
What happened to Old Zealand anyway? I bet the New Zealandians just plundered it and burned it to the ground.

Cartman86

Banned
New Zealand: the New Mexico of the world.

(For New Zealanders, New Mexicans get the opposite: the rest of the US tends to forget or just not know New Mexico is a state, and thinks it's another country)

Wait what? I've never heard that. People in the US think New Mexico is a country?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I can believe that somebody not knowing of New Zealand, I can't believe that that was the first New Zealander to travel there.

Australia was also originally New Holland.

The Dutch were late to the game during the Age of Discovery, but their spread of influence was impressive, especially in Asia and the East. The Dutch East India Company was basically its own government and the most valuable company in history.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
How the hell am I supposed to answer the poll when "New Zealand only exists in Thor 2: The Dark World" is not an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom