• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 2016 is the most viewed game trailer on PS YouTube,surpassing FFVII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

As of 21st December 2016, 1:59 AM GMT

God of War - E3 2016 Trailer
Views - 14,387,583
Likes/Dislike Ratio - 278,762 / 8,920

It has overcome the E3 2015 reveal trailer for Final Fantasy VII as the most viewed game-related item among all the videos on the American YouTube channel of PlayStation.

Final Fantasy VII - E3 2015 Trailer
Views - 14,387,064 views
Likes/Dislike Ratio - 123,442 / 2,721

As far as I'm aware, this would tentatively put God of War as the 3rd most-viewed game reveal announcement this year, behind Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Tentatively it's still ahead of Red Dead Redemption 2 but that was announced 4 months later than GoW and thus isn't a fair comparison, so history will be the judge what is the more viewed reveal down the road.

It is notably impressive for God of War, regardless, because it is the only game reveal announcement that is close to 10 minutes long, and generally speaking the longer the video, the more difficult it is to get high view counts.

Well deserved. It was a really great showing, especially with the orchestra playing. God of War is a massive franchise for Sony.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It had an incredible showing, praying they get the final game as close to that as possible.

The whole orchestra intro leading right into the gameplay was just flawless. Sony knocked their whole E3 presentation out of the park, but that beginning was just sublime

Sanctuary

The Last God of Raiders looked pretty good, but I'm still more hyped for Horizon.

But Making another God of War game was a mistake

Not really. And it probably is going to be drastically different from the previous games, and I'd bet the main reason they even decided to go with Kratos anyway is because he's a very known commodity. Easier to take a risk with such an established franchise that honestly didn't really have anywhere to go than start with a brand new character. The preview looked like it has enough to get "fans" of the franchise interested, while also adding in a different crowd altogether.

Plum

An incredibly disappointing reveal for me but it was definitely a good presentation, makes sense it got so many views. Hope it shows something that isn't so reminiscent of so much of Sony's recent output when it's shown in 2017, because I'm personally not convinced.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Sanctuary

An incredibly disappointing reveal for me but it was definitely a good presentation, makes sense it got so many views. Hope it shows something that isn't so reminiscent of so much of Sony's recent output in 2017, because I'm personally not convinced.

Typo?

Whether or not that's actually true, why would you take what a developer says at face value? "Nonsense" could actually mean that not everything was smoke and mirrors, but that doesn't mean some of it wasn't. How many times is it going to take for games to be downgraded until expectations are brought to realistic levels? Considering how God of War 3 turned out (graphically anyway...), it's easy to imagine God of War actually turning out like the presentation. But you never really know anymore.

I haven't watched it, actually.

I never have the slightest interest in the franchise.

I heard that it's now an RPG instead of action? That might change my stance.

An incredibly disappointing reveal for me but it was definitely a good presentation, makes sense it got so many views. Hope it shows something that isn't so reminiscent of so much of Sony's recent output in 2017, because I'm personally not convinced.
Like what?

Plum

Yeah, I meant "Hope it shows something that isn't so reminiscent of Sony's recent output when it's shown in 2017." I'll edit it now.

Like what?

It seems to copy the heavily scripted forced walking-cutscene-action-repeat gameplay loop of games such as TLoU, Uncharted and The Order, the story seems eerily similar to TLoU with its focus on a parent-child relationship and the combat itself just seems to be going for cinematic flair instead of the arcadey action I loved from GoW 1-3 which, again, reminds me of Naughty Dog's recent games. I need to see something that isn't just another heavily scripted demo in 2017 because there is so little of what I liked about the GoW games present in the one shown at E3 this year.

The God

I'm excited for it but I'm still not sure about the distance it seems to be taking from the older GoW games action wise. I'm gonna miss the hit counter.

CHC

God of War is one of those things that is, according to the numbers, hugely popular.... but at the same time I don't personally know anyone (aside from myself) who actually cares about it.

Kinda like Assassin's Creed.

I'm excited for it but I'm still not sure about the distance it seems to be taking from the older GoW games action wise. I'm gonna miss the hit counter.

That might not necessarily be gone. Cory has said that the combat in particular is something that's still under heavy development.

while GOW is a big Sony Franchise, it never was in the same league as Uncharted,TLOU and Gran Turismo (in terms of sales)
I have a Feeling it could change with this title

Sanctuary

I haven't watched it, actually.

I never have the slightest interest in the franchise.

I heard that it's now an RPG instead of action? That might change my stance.

The presentation brings to mind:

1. The Last of Us
2. Tomb Raider
3. God of War
4. Skyrim (but mostly just the overall vibe)

In that order.

while GOW is a big Sony Franchise, it never was in the same league as Uncharted,TLOU and Gran Turismo (in terms of sales)
I have a Feeling it could change with this title

Yeah, because interactive cutscene games sell more than games that focus more on gameplay. That's why. Welcome to the last two generations where "Cinematic gameplay" is king of the hill. I'm not ignoring the accomplishments of those titles either. They look amazing and have interesting characters for the most part. But that's essentially it.

Whether or not that's actually true, why would you take what a developer says at face value? "Nonsense" could actually mean that not everything was smoke and mirrors, but that doesn't mean some of it wasn't. How many times is it going to take for games to be downgraded until expectations are brought to realistic levels? Considering how God of War 3 turned out (graphically anyway...), it's easy to imagine God of War actually turning out like the presentation. But you never really know anymore.
How many of those downgraded games have been Sony games?

It seems to copy the heavily scripted forced walking-cutscene-action-repeat gameplay loop of games such as TLoU, Uncharted and The Order, the story seems eerily similar to TLoU with its focus on a parent-child relationship and the combat itself just seems to be going for cinematic flair instead of the arcadey action I loved from GoW 1-3 which, again, reminds me of Naughty Dog's recent games. I need to see something that isn't just another heavily scripted demo in 2017 because there is so little of what I liked about the GoW games present in the one shown at E3 this year.
Sure, but that isn't "so much" of Sony's recent output. They have released (or will release) plenty of games that do not fall into what you're speaking about.

Noice. I've played GoW 1-3 + Ascension and loved all of them. Ascension and 3 are my favorites in the series, and I think the changes they're making with the new one are great. I hope they deliver something amazing.

Typo?

You also have to consider the developer's past. SSM have delivered nothing but jawdroping technical excellence. When has there ever been a downgradathon from them? This isn't Ubisoft here.

LordKasual

Banned
I cannot believe people have swallowed the God of War reboot so passively.

We've gone from flaming twin-chainblade massacre action game, to shoulder camera dad simulator with magic?

AND it's supposed to be the SAME KRATOS from GoW 1-3?

lol, okay, whatever, sure

It was neat though. I really hope they rebrand it as a complete reboot though before they ask me to take fuckin Kratos on an emotional journey.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I saw this in a packed theater and people went nuts when Kratos walked out of the shadows. It was a really good showing all around though and the trailer made me interested in a new God of War game which I was not expecting.

Plum

Sure, but that isn't "so much" of Sony's recent output. They have released (or will release) plenty of games that do not fall into what you're speaking about.

You're arguing against the wording which I agree was a little bad, but that doesn't make the similarities to Uncharted, TLoU, The Order: 1886 and now Days Gone any less clear.

EDIT: If you consider it fully "Sony" then the combat controls are even similar to Bloodborne, with the shoulder buttons attacking instead of the face buttons, though this is less clear but I'm pretty sure this is how it'll control.

farisr

It makes it even more impressive that it's not just a short well-cut trailer to some music, it's a entire gameplay demo that's getting these views.

I cannot believe people have swallowed the God of War reboot so passively.

We've gone from flaming twin-chainblade massacre action game, to shoulder camera dad simulator with magic?

AND it's supposed to be the SAME KRATOS from GoW 1-3?

lol, okay, whatever, sure

It was neat though. I really hope they rebrand it as a complete reboot though before they ask me to take fuckin Kratos on an emotional journey.

The spectacle isn't going anywhere; they know that's a big feature of the series.

Sanctuary

How many of those downgraded games have been Sony games?.

Street Fighter V for sure, and Bloodborne. Considering how small their output has been this gen too, that's not really an insignificant number.

You also have to consider the developer's past. SSM have delivered nothing but jawdroping technical excellence. When has there ever been a downgradathon from them? This isn't Ubisoft here.

Not really sure why you quoted me and then basically repeated what I already said more or less.

Interesting. I'll watch it on my TV later tonight.

Just to clarify (since you mentioned RPG), I honestly don't know where the RPG impressions came from, but I wasn't thinking of the genre when I said Skyrim. Because technically, all of the God of War games had "RPG elements", if you can call them that, from the experience you would gain and apply towards upgrades.

Street Fighter V for sure, and Bloodborne. Considering how small their output has been this gen too, that's not really an insignificant number.

How were either of those downgraded? Bloodborne in particular given that its original showing had it running at a horrible framerate and with a ton of screentearing.

Top Bottom